TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Like Justice League?

Guest The Notorious CRD

JLU looks awesome beyond words. I'm psyched about Dr. Fate showing up in the series. Where's Captain Marvel though, darn it? :)

Nightwing isn't on Teen Titans, though. The only appearance he had was when Starfire traveled to the future where Robin had become Nightwing. This leads me to believe that the Robin on Teen Titans is Dick Grayson and not Tim Drake. Therefore, I believe that the show doesn't exist in the same continuity as Justice League Unlimited.

No. Nightwing isn't on Teen Titans currently. But sooner or later, Robin will eventually become a Teen Titan. And if I remember correctly from way back when when I read comics (7-12), Dick Greyson became Nightwing when he was a member of Teen Titans.

And I believe the show is connected to the rest of the JL universe. Thing is, they just don't want any of the other heroes to show up because of the fact that the Teen Titans creators wish to not have the Titans end looking "weak" because of the other heroes appearing and "saving/helping" them.

I agree that Captain Marvel should be on the show. I think he is one of the most underuse charachters that DC has. The creators have said in an interview that they want to use hin but his rights are held by someone else and they haven't provided them the a-ok for them to use him.

It is a shame since he is one of my favorite characters. SHAZAM!!!!

I agree that Captain Marvel should be on the show. I think he is one of the most underuse charachters that DC has. The creators have said in an interview that they want to use hin but his rights are held by someone else and they haven't provided them the a-ok for them to use him.

It is a shame since he is one of my favorite characters. SHAZAM!!!!

Good news!!! I just read that at the San Diego Comic Con the producers of the show announced that Captain Marvel will appear on JLU this upcoming season.

Looking at the previews, I guess I shouldn't be upset Aqua's going to be a part of it. I didn't realize how literally the new name would be taken. :P

By the way, the JL movie, Starcrossed, will be on tonight (Sunday, July 25) at 7:30 PM EST.

* Saturday, Aug. 14: "Hawk and Dove"

Two siblings, one a pacifist and the other more aggressive, join Wonder Woman in a mission to stop a war between two neighbors. It turns out that the escalation of the conflict is all part of Ares' plan to spread misery.

Well fuck me running...

I thought they'd have gone with the second Dove instead of Hank's brother.

Also, include me in the boundless hate for Aquaman. What a fucking jackass.

Guest JMA
No. Nightwing isn't on Teen Titans currently. But sooner or later, Robin will eventually become a Teen Titan. And if I remember correctly from way back when when I read comics (7-12), Dick Greyson became Nightwing when he was a member of Teen Titans.

Dick Grayson DID become Nightwing while he was a part of the Teen Titans. You're right when you say that.

And I believe the show is connected to the rest of the JL universe. Thing is, they just don't want any of the other heroes to show up because of the fact that the Teen Titans creators wish to not have the Titans end looking "weak" because of the other heroes appearing and "saving/helping" them.

I have to disagree here. For one thing, the animation styles are just too different for the two shows to exist in the same universe. It has been hinted that Batman exists in the TT universe, but is it the same Batman that's currently on JL? I don't think it is.

Here's an interesting fact: On an episode of Static Shock in which Batman appeared, he mentioned that Robin (Tim Drake) was "with the Titans." There are many ways to look at this in regards to both respective shows. I would honestly prefer that the shows be kept separate, though.

Other notes from the Comic Con

-They couldn't get the rights to Blue Beetle, so he is not on the show.

- There will be a sequel to Starcrossed, as the Thangarians will return.

- Comic book writers J.M. DeMatteis, Warren Ellis, Darwyn Cooke, Ron Zimmerman, and Gail Simone will write episodes for the show.

-Gail Simone's episodes involves Green Arrow, Black Canary, The Huntress and The Question going out on a double date.

-Paul Dini's Zatanna Episode includes Batman, Wonder Woman, and B'wana Beast. The villain will be Circe.

-Luthor and Granny Goodness will be villains in future episodes.

Guest JMA
-Gail Simone's episodes involves Green Arrow, Black Canary, The Huntress and The Question going out on a double date.

That sounds awesome. It will be interesting to see how Green Arrow and the Question (who have polar opposite political views) handle the double-date situation.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
- Comic book writers J.M. DeMatteis, Warren Ellis, Darwyn Cooke, Ron Zimmerman, and Gail Simone will write episodes for the show.

One of these things is not like the other...

Any reason why there's no sign of Plastic Man? There are some awesome picks involved (Creeper and Booster Gold = Awesome), but it seems odd to me that someone like Plastic Man is being passed up for third-stringers (and really, as much as I like him, Creeper IS a third-stringer).

Any reason why there's no sign of Plastic Man? There are some awesome picks involved (Creeper and Booster Gold = Awesome), but it seems odd to me that someone like Plastic Man is being passed up for third-stringers (and really, as much as I like him, Creeper IS a third-stringer).

It probably came down to picking between Plastic Man or Elongated Man since they got the same power, and Elongated Man won.

Guest EQ

I fail to see why I should give a fuck about Plastic Man, Elongated Man or Elongated Man's wife (Identity Crisis storyline).

At first, I was pissed when I read about the new direction JL was going, but after thinking about it for a bit, I've decided that it has the potential to be cool. I agree that we should have had Nightwing included, that would have been cool.

I can't stand Teen Titans though.

Guest JMA

One thing I hope we get to see on JLU is the CLASSIC Royal Flush Gang (not the Joker's metahuman team). It would be interesting to see the Classic Royal Flush Gang destroy the "pretenders."

One of these things is not like the other...

Boy, you ain't kidding.

Guest MikeSC

OK, this seems like a good place to ask this.

I have NEVER seen JLA. SuperFriends from the 70's gave me quite the bad taste in my mouth over DC cartoons that I was hesitant to give it a chance.

I am now interested in watching it. I was at Best Buy and saw a DVD of one of their shows involving Hawkgirl being a spy for aliens or something --- I don't know the names of the aliens or the plot any better than that.

So, is it WORTH getting? Does it serve as even a remedial brush-up on the series to date?

-=Mike

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I have NEVER seen JLA. SuperFriends from the 70's gave me quite the bad taste in my mouth over DC cartoons that I was hesitant to give it a chance.

I am now interested in watching it. I was at Best Buy and saw a DVD of one of their shows involving Hawkgirl being a spy for aliens or something --- I don't know the names of the aliens or the plot any better than that.

So, is it WORTH getting? Does it serve as even a remedial brush-up on the series to date?

-=Mike

Oh, lord...

Justice League is done by the same team that did the renowned B:TAS, S:TAS, and BB. It's really damned good, and you shouldn't judge it at all based on those POS Filmmation cartoons.

One thing I hope we get to see on JLU is the CLASSIC Royal Flush Gang (not the Joker's metahuman team).

Funny you mention them, they appear in the second issue of the JLU comic book. However I don't know if they will appear in the cartoon.

-=Mike

Mike, in terms of American animation, as well as TV action / adventure storytelling in general, there is little that touches Justice League.

I'd easily rate it as one of the best animated programs of the past 10 years.

I've caught a few episodes of JLA here and there, but it sounds like I'm booking the show and will defintely have to watch it now. Green Arrow, The Question, Zantanna, Wildcat and Dr. Fate are my favorites. I wouldn't mind a JSA spinoff.

Guest JMA
One thing I hope we get to see on JLU is the CLASSIC Royal Flush Gang (not the Joker's metahuman team).

Funny you mention them, they appear in the second issue of the JLU comic book. However I don't know if they will appear in the cartoon.

That's very interesting. Seeing as how the people working on JLU seem to be fans of classic DC characters and stories, maybe they'll appear on the series.

Personally, I can't wait for "For the Man Who Has Everything." The original story is one of my favorite Superman stories.

(unless I missed it) No Guy Gardner?

BOO!

Kidding. This looks like it could be very interesting.

...here's a wierd thought...every Hero Character in JLU, Teen Titans, and any other ones missed going up against a villainous force.

Would take some major animation skills, but still.

(unless I missed it) No Guy Gardner?

BOO!

Hey I wish Gardner was in JLU just so we can see the famous Gardner wants to fight Batman and Bats knocks him out with one punch from way back when in JLI, I think it was.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=3983

CCI DAY 2: WB ANIMATION STRIKES BACK

by Hannibal Tabu, Staff Writer

Posted: July 24, 2004

Fans of all ages were treated to a whole lot of animated antics from the enthusiastic staff of WB Animation in one of the best run panels of the convention. Moderator Sam Register from Cartoon Network came out with all of the energy of a motivational speaker, urging the crowd towards more and more cheering.

On hand for Q&A was voice talents for Robin, Raven and Beast Boy, actor Ron Perlman (who played "Hellboy" on the big screen and gives voice to villain Slade on the series) and series producer Glen Murakami.

Register asked Perlman about "Hellboy 2," and Perlman begged ignorance. "They think I'm too irresponsible," he laughed, "so they won't tell me anything. I guess I'll see you all opening night, hopefully I'll know by then."

After showing a music video for the theme song, a lengthy clip of a fight scene with a new villain (in an old outfit) was shown, along with brief clips from the upcoming season. Fans cheered when the familiar lines of Nightwing appeared on screen, swinging a long staff. New team member Terra was closely overlaid with Slade in the clip, implying their stories may be intertwined. A taller, gray haired man was seen who closely resembled many incarnations of Ra's Al Ghul, but the panelists confirmed that Brother Blood would be coming to the show, so the character's red highlighted costume probably imply another kind of immortal than the Demon's Head.

Register was especially prolific with his praise for Glen Murakami. "There would be no 'Teen Titans' without Glen," Register gushed.

As the "Titans" team was ushered off stage, the screen flared to life again, showing scenes from the upcoming season of "Justice League Unlimited." The clip showed several guest stars that have previously been announced -- Captain Atom, Green Arrow, Rocket Red, Supergirl, et cetera -- and a network of satellites replacing the Watchtower lost in the season finale, "Starcrossed." It also showed clips from the season opener, with Supergirl, Green Arrow and Green Lantern in action, and a nice coda with Batman.

Then the laughs and surprises started coming. When Register asked the "JLU" team what was different about this season, producer James Tucker, who works closely with Bruce Timm, quickly said, "B'wana Beast," which got a good laugh from the crowd. Register asked about the deluge of new characters, and Timm revealed that they asked for but could not get Blue Beetle for the show, due to a logjam of rights issues. Timm did say that the Power of Shazam would be coming to Cartoon Network, with an appearance this season by Captain Marvel.

As for villains, this season will play host to Lex Luthor and return appearances by Thanagarian antagonists, Amazo, Sersi, and even Brimstone appearing as a runaway killer giant robot created by the government.

Again Register was on hand to give credit. "Remember how I kissed Glen's BUTT?" Register asked the crowd. "Bruce Timm trained him."

Comic book veteran Dwayne McDuffie talked about bringing in more comic book writers for the show, including J.M. DeMatteis, Warren Ellis, Darwyn Cooke, Ron Zimmerman, and Gail Simone for a "double date" episode involving Green Arrow and Black Canary. McDuffie admitted that Wonder Woman is the toughest character for him to write, "because she's such a symbol. No matter what character trait I try to give her, it's wrong for somebody." Stan Berkowitz, another member of the writing team, said the Flash was a challenge due to the impulse to go overboard with wisecracks.

Finally, the "Justice League" team left and were replaced by a full episode of the new animated series, "The Batman." In the episode, a young Bruce Wayne is the title character, the Batman is chased by the cops as often as he chases villains, and the Man-Bat goes toe to toe with the nascent Bat.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Power of Shazam?

Is this a NEW Timm DC Animation show?

Here are some screencaps from the first episode. Man I can't wait for Saturday

Here is the info on the first 13 episodes

"INITIATION"

A reluctant Green Arrow joins forces with the new Justice League to stop a rampaging nuclear monster in Asia.

"FOR THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING"

Batman and Wonder Woman visit the Fortress of Solitude on Superman's birthday, only to find him trapped by Mongul.

"HAWK AND DOVE"

Wonder Woman teams up with two super-powered borthers, one warlike, the other a pacifist, to stop Ares' plans to escalate a European civil war into World War III.

"FEARFUL SYMMETRY"

Supergirl discovers that a series of nightmares she's been having about being an assassin may be far more than just a bad dream.

"KIDS' STUFF"

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern are transformed into 8-year-olds in a desperate attempt to save the world from the magic of Mordred.

"THIS LITTLE PIGGY"

It's musical mayhem when Batman and Zatanna join forces to save a teammate from a fate worse than death.

"THE RETURN"

Nearly two dozen heroes join forces to prevent an all-powerful android from reaching his goal: the recently reformed Lex Luthor.

"THE GREATEST STORY NEVER TOLD"

The Justice League is in epic battle with Mordru in downtown Metropolis, but the real story is what happens to Booster Gold while he's supposed to be on "crowd control."

"ULTIMATUM,"

The Justice League meets the Ultimen, a popular group of young heroes who are about to discover their own horrifying secret origins.

"DARK HEART"

When the entire League is helpless to stop an alien invasion, the world's only hope is the Atom, a microscopic super-hero.

"WAKE THE DEAD"

When Solomon Grundy rises from the grave, an old friend must come out of hiding and team up with the League once more.

"THE ONCE AND FUTURE THING, PART 1"

Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern chase a time-traveling villain to the past, where they team up with the greatest heroes of the Old West.

"THE ONCE AND FUTURE THING, PART 2"

The Justice League's adventures in time take them to a futuristic Gotham City, where they join forces with that era's Batman and his super team: The Justice League Unlimited.

Power of Shazam?

Is this a NEW Timm DC Animation show?

Sounded like he just meant that as a figure of speech. :P

I repeat for those who didn't read the Starcrossed thread--

Would some one let me know what episodes are in the DVD set that is out now, and if it includes Starcrossed?

The episode previews seem to indicate Timm and crew haven't gotten carried away like kids in a candy store just using as many of the characters as possible, so maybe my worries are unfounded.