3. "Dodgeball" $18.5m / $67.2m

4. "The Terminal" $13.9m / $41.8m

5. "The Notebook" $13.0m / $13.0m

6. "Harry Potter & Prison..." $11.4m / $211.7m

7. "Shrek 2" $10.5m / $397.1m

8. "Garfield" $7.0m / $55.8m

9. "Two Brothers" $6.2m / $6.2m

10. "The Stepford Wives" $5.2m / $49.0m

If Michael Moore wanted to leave an impression, he damn well did this weekend. Political doco "Fahrenheit 9/11" opened onto about one-third the screens of this week's other releases, and only about a quarter of the screens your average major blockbuster like "Troy" or "The Day After Tomorrow" commands, and yet it still managed to break a bevy of records.

With a whopping $25,115 per screen average, the film managed to not only take the top spot both this weekend and as the highest opening ever for a documentary feature, but outgrossed the entire takings of Moore's previous effort - the acclaimed "Bowling for Columbine" - in just three days. Its opening would do any filmmaker proud and naturally everyone involved is ecstatic about just how it beat all expectation.

This week also saw three new wide releases with both comedy "White Chicks" and romancer "The Notebook" doing better than expected and taking in solid openings. Kiddie Guy Pearce film "Two Brothers" however bombed on impact. Next week, a webslinger aims to challenge his own record for the biggest opening of all time.

Credit: Dark Horizons

Say what you will about Michael Moore (I'll refrain since I didn't see the movie), but at least White Chicks wasn't number one.

If my choices were "White Chicks" or Moore....ok, I'm glad he is number one when placed into that situation.

Still a liar, but at least he didn't make "White Chicks"

And it looks like the battle of the big summer bombs is over with "Around the World in 80 days" winning the crown from "The Alamo"

But damn, they were close. Horrible year for Disney so far I do believe.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

I saw The Notebook last night, and damn that was a suprsingly good movie. Serously, the acting from James Garner and Ryan Gosling was great, and the story had actual heart and genuine laughs. I recomend everyone see the movie.

white chicks sucked :)

"The Notebook" looks like too much of a crying female movie for me and since I don't current have a female, I'll pass.

I might check it out once it hits DVD, but no thank you at the moment. I'm still paying for making fun of Leo drowning in Titanic.

Guest TonyJaymzV1
"The Notebook" looks like too much of a crying female movie for me and since I don't current have a female, I'll pass.

Yeah it's movie you have to see with a girl. She got to choose the movie this week(which is fine, since I;m taking her to Anchorman, oh its jazz baby!) and i was suprised at how much i actually liked the movie.

still, it is a sappy love story.

Guest El Satanico

Holy shit...I didn't expect that. Hell, I didn't even know it was being released this week.

So is this the first documentary to be #1?

This movie is about as much a "documentary" as Blair Witch Project.

I suppose it is since it's called a "documentary" although I could have sworn there was another one that grabbed the top spot but I don't remember if that is accurate.

I am not surprised that Around the World in 80 Days bombed. Afterall, wasn't the original version most famous for being a movie that the studios wanted to be a HUGE bomb, but ended up being successful because of the large amount of cameo appearances in the film or something?

And how much is Shrek 2 on pace to make anyway?

And how much is Shrek 2 on pace to make anyway?

Well, it'll pass "Spiderman" this weekend more than likely and it has an outside chance at "Star Wars Episode I" and "ET"

It's unlike it catches them and it has more than likely no shot at "Star Wars" however if it keeps in the 7-10 million range for three or four more weeks it has a VERY good shot at catching it.

I'd say it's on pace to finish at $435 million, putting it third all time.

So is this the first documentary to be #1?

LOS ANGELES(AP) Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" took in a whopping $21.8 million in its first three days, becoming the first documentary ever to debut as Hollywood's top weekend film.

If Sunday's estimates hold when final numbers are released Monday, "Fahrenheit 9/11" would set a record in a single weekend as the top-grossing documentary ever outside of concert films and movies made for huge-screen IMAX theaters.

Adding the film's haul at two New York City theaters where it opened Wednesday, two days earlier than the rest of the country, boosted "Fahrenheit 9/11" to $21.96 million.

"Bowling for Columbine," Moore's 2002 Academy Award-winning documentary, previously held the documentary record with $21.6 million.

"Fahrenheit 9/11," Moore's assault on President Bush's actions after the 2001 terrorist attacks, won the top honor at last month's Cannes Film Festival and has attracted attention from both sides in the presidential campaign.

The movie has been embraced by left-wing groups, which mobilized members to see it during the opening weekend. Conservative groups sought to discourage theaters from showing it and asked the Federal Election Commission to examine its ads for potential violations of campaign-finance law regulating when commercials may feature a presidential candidate.

"I want to thank all the right-wing organizations out there who tried to stop the film, either from their harassment campaign that didn't work on the theater owners, or going to the FEC to get our ads removed from television, to all the things that have been said on television," Moore said. "It's only encouraged more people to go and see it."

"Fahrenheit 9/11" opened in 868 theaters, a wide release for a documentary but narrow compared to big Hollywood flicks. The film averaged $25,115 a theater, compared to $7,190 in 2,726 cinemas for "White Chicks."

Distributors Lions Gate and IFC Films plan to put "Fahrenheit 9/11" into a couple of hundred more theaters this Wednesday, when competition heats up with the release of "Spider-Man 2," summer's most-anticipated movie.

Holy shit...I didn't expect that. Hell, I didn't even know it was being released this week.

I said the same exact thing. What is even more amazing is that it was only released in 868 theaters.

I haven't seen 9/11 but actually did go see both Dodgeball and White Chicks while down in Myrtle Beach. I thought White Chicks was actually funnier.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Spiderman get more than $150 million next week.

I would.

That would be beyond massive!

I'm guessing around 112-115 but no higher than that. Any higher and I'll be stunned.

Plus "F 9/11" will hurt Spiderman out of the gate, believe it or not. Either that or it'll look like Moore's movie was pushed into more theaters and suffered one of the biggest sales drops in recorded history.

I think Spidey will break 70 million on Wednesday and then steamroll through the weekend. It'll be a monster for sure.

I'd guess about 40 million on Wednesday and probably about 160 million Wednesday through Sunday. I think the Wednesday opening will probably barely keep it from breaking the first movie's weekend record. I'd guess about 105 million over the weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Spiderman get more than $150 million next week.

I would.

That would be beyond massive!

I'm guessing around 112-115 but no higher than that. Any higher and I'll be stunned.

Plus "F 9/11" will hurt Spiderman out of the gate, believe it or not. Either that or it'll look like Moore's movie was pushed into more theaters and suffered one of the biggest sales drops in recorded history.

Spiderman made $114,844,116 in its opening weekend in 3,615 theaters, which is an all-time record for a weekend opening.

Spiderman 2 is set to open in over 4,000 theaters and they are promoting the SHIT out of the movie.

I'm calling it right here; SP2 to make over $150 million.

Guest SpiderFan

I'll be at the first showing of Spider-man 2 on Wednesday. I love the first one, and this one looks leagues better.

I think it'll make somewhere in the range of $50mil on opening day, and close out the 5 days at about $130mil

Weekend or Wednesday->Sunday?

As for me, I'll be seeing the movie Wednesday and maybe a couple times over the weekend. I love Spider-Man.

Weekend or Wednesday->Sunday?

As for me, I'll be seeing the movie Wednesday and maybe a couple times over the weekend. I love Spider-Man.

From Wed-Sun.

I'm going but I'm a lot less interested. The previews gave away way too much of the film, the soundtrack is depressing as hell, and seeing Tobey mope around for 2 hours isn't very appealing.

On the flip side, I saw part 1 and while the ending was pathetic I found the film enjoyable enough. Plus I made a promise to go with someone and I don't break those.

It might be good but I'm not expecting much anymore.