TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Only The Strong Survive

WWE Raw V.S. Smackdown!

WWE Raw V.S. Smackdown Interview

It's a crowded year for wrestling titles on the PlayStation 2 and it's going to take a whole lot of bells and whistles to prove which product is best. Historically, the winner of that honor has been Yuke's and THQ's SmackDown franchise, but with such financially secure heavyweights as Konami and Electronic Arts throwing their hats into a market already populated by Acclaim, Eidos, and Bandai, the pair definitely has their work cut out for them. After all, the effort with last year's Here Comes the Pain was easily the best in the franchise so far; leaving plenty of expectations and standards that THQ will have to meet and surpass.

To find out how THQ is handling this challenge, we sat down with THQ's Smackdown! vs. RAW Product Manager Devin Knudsen. Devin has been around the SmackDown franchise forever too, and is a self-professed "ultra-fan" of professional wrestling. If there's anybody out there who can give us the answers we want, it's this guy. Here's how the conversation went down:

IGN: Thanks for the taking the time to answer our questions. We suppose our first question right out of the gate would be, What was it about last year's SmackDown title that you thought could be improved upon most this year?

Devin Knudsen: There are two main areas that we are striving to improve this year with SmackDown! vs. Raw. An overall improvement of presentation to the player was the first area we choose to tackle. A fan should feel as they are watching actual WWE programming and all aspects of the game should focus on accomplishing this goal. The graphics of the game, the audio elements and the all of the Superstars mannerisms and personalities should provide the player with a suspension of disbelief.

The second element is user interaction. A fan should feel as though they have control over all aspects of the game. There shouldn't be moments where the player feels helpless and is just watching an animation play out; we want the player to feel like he's part of the action unfolding on the screen.

IGN: With that said, what kind of changes have you made with Smackdown! vs. RAW that addresses those issues?

Devin: We've added several new features that will greatly enhance the user's experience and interaction with the game, as well as improving on last year's features. One obvious improvement that players will notice when they get a look at the game is the graphical upgrade. Yuke's did a fantastic job with this year's Superstar models. They've increased the poly counts significantly, especially in the Create-A-Superstar area.

IGN: How much of an impact has fan and editorial feedback had when sitting down to prepare for a new installment of the Smackdown franchise?

Devin: As the Rock would say…"This is the people's champ" The SmackDown! Series is not the only wrestling series out there, but it is the most popular. The only way to keep the fans excited is by keeping a close ear to the ground and delivering on what the fans want to see. Being a fan of the WWE, I'm very passionate when it comes to my product line. Our dev team is constantly scanning the message boards, looking at competitive product and putting together focus groups to get a pulse on what the "real" WWE fans are looking for in our videogames. When putting together a feature set for a new title, the team lays out franchise objectives, which are heavily influenced by the feedback we gather from all of the fans.

IGN: So what are some examples of how you took that feedback and incorporated it into this year's game?

Devin: I can't really get into the new features at this time, but there have been changes to almost every aspect of the game. For example, we made several tweaks here and there to improve things like submissions, grapples, weapons and audio.

IGN: Cool. So how about the new features this year, what are some of the new goodies that fans can expect?

Devin: We can't spill the beans yet, but just like last year we will deliver a game that significantly improves upon the last iteration. There is a big surprise down the pipe that is sure not to disappoint.

IGN: THQ is more secretive than ever this year? Why all the cloak and dagger stuff?

Devin: It's all part of the master plan! Seriously, we've got some real big things planned with this year's offering and we're looking forward to letting all you guys in on all the fun leading up to launch. You guys are our biggest supporters and we're glad to reward your readers by making IGN the WWE HQ.

IGN: Okay then throw us something new. Tell us at least two things we don't already know about Smackdown! vs. RAW?

Devin: We will see the return of a feature from wrestling's past and the introduction of a feature that no one thought they would see in a WWE title.

IGN: How about the roster, what changes are there this year? Who's out of the lineup altogether and who are a couple of the new guys? More importantly, do we have La Resistance in there or what?

Devin: WWE SmackDown! Vs. Raw will have the top Superstars from RAW and SmackDown as well as divas and some really exciting Legends to unlock. There are some good surprises here. Unfortunately, that is all I can say about the roster, but IGN will be the first to know, as we will roll out the roster with IGN through their ongoing Superstar profile.

IGN: Some of our readers were a bit disappointed in last year's career mode. It had a lot of great ideas but some complained that it was too repetitive and too short. Will career be improved on this year, and will it be similar to say, Day of Reckoning?

Devin: The season mode has seen a great progression over the years and this year is no exception. We know that the season mode is an integral part of the game and we have gone to great lengths this year to make sure we deliver a season mode that will satisfy the fans. We work closely with the WWE and their writers to find out what directions they are taking with their Superstars and their storylines.

This definitely serves as the underline foundation for what we do. The emphasis has been put on creating storylines that are completely original. This unique blend of storylines will satisfy WWE fans while delivering a compelling and rewarding experience. Don't worry; fans will be blown away with what we've got in store for this year's career mode.

IGN: How about create-a-wrestler, do you have plans to expand on that feature?

Devin: As I mentioned earlier, there will be a dramatic visual upgrade over last year's offering. The quality of the textures and models are significantly improved. We also took steps to simplify the user interface. I can't get into any of the new items in the Create mode at this time.

IGN: And now the big question: there are a lot of rumors pointing to this being online, will it be?

Devin: Unfortunately, we can't comment on this.

IGN: Ah ha, very interesting. Well anyway man, thanks a lot, we'll be bugging you again real soon.

Devin: Unfortunately, we can't comment on this.

IGN would like to thank Devin Knudsen, Kyle Walker, THQ, and all those involved with making this interview possible (and a special thanks to our readers for their quick question submissions). We'd also like to let the fans know that they should keep an eye out for PSM Magazine's September issue (on sale in early August) for more on Smackdown! vs. RAW. In it, former IGNPS2 and IGN Xbox editor Kaiser Hwang reveals a great number of details complete with new media for the print crowd. Of course, we'll be back with some more info ourselves in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

Didn't see a thread on this so I figured I'd post it. There's not too much info here, but it sure is getting me excited since it sounds like they're definitely looking to keep the game solid while improving it in all the facets that they can. I'm hoping the season/ career mode gets a huge revamping.

Meh. He didn't say anything most of us didn't already know. Personally, I don't care about graphics and presentation upgrades. I don't care about extending the season. I don't care about the legends.

Anyway, things they need to fix...

The absurd amount of time it takes to build your CAW into something formidable. Not a problem when you make only one CAW and are done with it, but for those who make multiples and don't want them all to have the same stats as the original, it is a problem. Yes, I am aware of the other option: running through the season and not spending the SP, and cloning however many times, but that's also a hassle.

The emphasis placed on the (unbalanced) strength stat, when compared to the rest of the attributes.

This whole stupid layers and textures thing for CAWs. It's stupid that some patterns in the game on existing wrestlers aren't even there for CAWs. I essentially have to make my own clothes, only to get something not even close to looking real, basically to the point of looking ridiculously out of place (in addition to the CAW model itself). Of course this was partially because in the making of HCTP, they just transferred most of what they had from SYM, since they were wasting their time with those worthless legends.

The submission system.

Why hasn't the high-flying been fixed yet? On some moves you zero in on your opponent, but on others you always have a fixed location you fly to, always missing him. Though it's been this way for years and I can't see it being fixed anytime soon.

IGN: Okay then throw us something new. Tell us at least two things we don't already know about Smackdown! vs. RAW?

Devin: We will see the return of a feature from wrestling's past and the introduction of a feature that no one thought they would see in a WWE title.

So they're bringing back casket matches.

This game better be good caause I'm getting sick of buying them. They need to use another engine because I just keep seeing the same wrestling game over and over again.

So they're bringing back casket matches.

This game better be good caause I'm getting sick of buying them. They need to use another engine because I just keep seeing the same wrestling game over and over again.

I assumed Create-A-Belt when I read that.

Devin: WWE SmackDown! Vs. Raw will have the top Superstars from RAW and SmackDown as well as divas and some really exciting Legends to unlock. There are some good surprises here. Unfortunately, that is all I can say about the roster, but IGN will be the first to know, as we will roll out the roster with IGN through their ongoing Superstar profile.

Translation - I can't use Knoble, but I'll be able to run the gauntlet with Stacy Kiebler.

Guest slacklet

War Games and online play.

That's my educated guess.

Guest The Decadent Slacker

War Games? I bet. It just seems too good to be true, so it probably is. Could be a fucking Bullrope match for all we know. I just have doubts about War Games, but that would rock.

Online play. I can't think of anything else, unless CAW introduces physical disfigurements like lost/gained limbs or something.

Where in the hell did you guys get War Games from? They only put things in that WWE has done in recent memory, and WWE will probably NEVER do a War Games match. That as an option just makes zero sense to me.

Where in the hell did you guys get War Games from?  They only put things in that WWE has done in recent memory, and WWE will probably NEVER do a War Games match.  That as an option just makes zero sense to me.

Well, they said that there'd be something we never thought we'd see in a WWE game. Perhaps War Games, but I'd go with Online play since he didn't want to comment on it.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

I have a feeling the 'big secret' is gonna be Create-a-Move, it may be because I desperately want it to be, but I have a feeling none the less.....

What about a GM mode? I think someone might have mentioned it a while back. That could be entertaining if they had the chance to properly integrate it into the season mode.

I have a feeling the 'big secret' is gonna be Create-a-Move, it may be because I desperately want it to be, but I have a feeling none the less.....

Feh. I didn't have time to invest in creating an animation, I certainly don't have time to invest in creating a move. Waste of time, IMHO.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

See I don't get that, I thought CAA was one of the best features of the game, if you knew how to work it well you could really give your own made up CAWS a good personality with them.

If they structure CAM the same way then all the complaints about this move not being in or that move not being in are gone. You could take moves and tweek them, add in a facial expression, you can create combos and just really insane unbelievable stuff. I mean if there were a CAM along with CAA, what else would be needed in terms of complete and total customization? Rip your own music? I have a feeling we'll be there soon.

To me it's the next step in the evolution of creating your own personalized wrestler, and I think it's a neccesary one.

I guess that's where I differ from most, then. I want great gameplay most of all. I find that spending 3+ hours on creating a wrestler just isn't worth the time. I only ended up making about 2 CAWs in HCTP because the interface was TOO in depth.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

Well it is about gameplay, enhancing that gameplay. To me running through season with someone like Rock or Brock just isn't as fun as running through it with your own creation.

Guest Real F'n Show

Multi-person season mode is the thing their bringing back, and online play is the new thing I bet.

this bullshit interview is a waste of everybodys time they dodge every single question. i would like to see wargames because it sounds like a lot of fun ive wanted gm mode for a while and would enjoy 60 minute iron man matches 2 player season would rock the best hardest and most like knowbody elses buissnessish of them all.

this bullshit interview is a waste of everybodys time they dodge every single question.

I dunno, it's got me more interested.

My guess is WCW legends and editing existing charachters as the features.

editing existing charachters as the features.

I don't know about that. Yukes has gone through 5 Smackdowns and they still haven't included it like AKI did in the N64 wrestling games, which started with WCW Revenge (which was two years before the Smackdown series came about).

I think that they have gotten closer and closer, though I am in agreement in that there are some things that definitely need to be fixed... I have done my share of bitching in the HCTP thread, so it not need be reiterated here... despite its flaws, I thoroughly enjoy playing the game, and I hope that they fix the majority of the annoying things that I have complained about. I'm not drinking their kool-aid, but I am not going to crap on the game before its release, either.

I don't know about that. Yukes has gone through 5 Smackdowns and they still haven't included it like AKI did in the N64 wrestling games, which started with WCW Revenge (which was two years before the Smackdown series came about).

I think the reason behind this is that a person could create an entirely new roster by changing a characters looks and moves. This may also take up alot of space on the memory card.

I think the reason behind this is that a person could create an entirely new roster by changing a characters looks and moves. This may also take up alot of space on the memory card.

Maybe, but you can create annother new roster by using CAWs.

The main reason I don't think it'll be included is that it would cut down the desirability of an up to date copy in a years time, but I can still dream.

The main reason I don't think it'll be included is that it would cut down the desirability of an up to date copy in a years time, but I can still dream.

But doesn't it suck when you can't even update Benoit's tights from his early 2003 "Toothless Aggression" Smackdown tights on HCTP unless you want to waste CAW space by creating him?

But doesn't it suck when you can't even update Benoit's tights from his early 2003 "Toothless Aggression" Smackdown tights on HCTP unless you want to waste CAW space by creating him?

Yup. Which is why one of the plus points in the new game for you will be Benoit having up to date tights.

Yup. Which is why one of the plus points in the new game for you will be Benoit having up to date tights.

Yeah, but most WWE wrestlers could have their attire changed by the time the game comes out, which is why I hope Yukes would include the edit-a-wrestler feature into Smackdown vs. Raw so I don't have to wait a whole year for the next game just for every wrestler to be updated, even though the chances of Yukes including the feature are obviously slim-to-none.

Guest lucas

i have loved all the smackdown games,but the glaring problem with hctp was the fact that in my game everytime i would call a person out .steph would show up and book a match between me and her or i would be in the back and be attacked by steph,so i quickly lost interest in it,so i hope that the next game changes that,other than that the games have been awesome