TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Only The Strong Survive

WWE Raw V.S. Smackdown!

"and an online mode that's only for a Bra & Panties match"

Wait...is this true?

Online only has Bra & Panties and single matches. Quite disappointing.

I'm definitely going to pick it up sometime this week. Sure, it is almost a downgrade from HCTP, but I have the extra money right now, and I loved the gameplay of HCTP. It's going to be hard playing this and San Andreas, though.

"and an online mode that's only for a Bra & Panties match"

Wait...is this true?

Online only has Bra & Panties and single matches. Quite disappointing.

At least it has singles matches. I thought it was B&P only like the guy said. :P

By "singles matches" are we talking only normal exhibition, or all singles matches? Like, would HIAC, Hardcore, etc be playable online?

Guest bigm350

I haven't gotten the game yet but I still find it pretty sad that this game is not on par to HCTP. It seems the only redeeming quality is having Bret Hart and his cool intro and song in the game.

A few thoughts after playing a bit:

This game is HCTP Lite.

What did they actually DO in this game? Aside from a bunch of stupid meters (A little flickering "stop the yellow ball to reverse or escape" on some submission moves, and some questionable elements (Chop battle? Stare down? Shoving match?) there really aren't many gameplay changes at all. The counters are still the EXACT FUCKING SAME, which means guys like A-Train can flip out of a suplex attempt, and the only leg move reversal is still the "reverse the figure four" animation. Though, remember that smaller wrestlers can't pick up bigger ones. (I seem to think their definition of realism needs work..badly.)

And yes, it's still got the same clipping flaws. You can punch or kick a guy out of midair.

The CAW got even worse. The model did change (though, the default face looks stupid as hell..) so it dosen't look pathetic next to the "real" wrestlers like the HCTP CAWs did. However, there are -less- CAW parts in this one..as well as a lamer interface..it's a vertical scrollbar instead of pages. So guess what? You have to scroll through everything individually to find the part you want. The hair and eye selection is limited even more, which is sad. Another gripe: Seperate the fucking women's wear from men's already, damnit. If the game can tell if the CAW is male or female based on the model, then at least take the women's wear out of the men's selection pages. It's annoying having to scroll through pages of useless stuff.

Your CAW stats also start as a wonderful two in everything (out of ten), which makes things in season somewhat difficult. ¬_¬

The crowd is still the exact same one as HCTP, too.

The soundtrack gets annoying really fast, though I'm not sure what's worse..this "music", or HCTP's random screaming shit. Thanks to THQ, though, because you can finally turn BGM off without turning entrance music off.

I can't tell what they actually improved in the game, honestly. The graphics are only improved in some cases. The models look good, but the hair (particularly long hair) looks pathetic, still.

Keep HCTP. It's more enjoyable than this piece of junk.

Honestly, this is one of the times I'm glad I download some games before I buy..

(San Andreas, while flawed as hell, felt improved enough to warrant a buy. SD vs Raw dosen't.)

Guest GoinHomeSmDay2006

I went ahead and bought a twenty dollar copy of HCTP (again, my original one broke) and GTA:SA instead of shelling out money for this questionable one.

Guest fanofcoils

I still don't get why they make two different WWE games for two different systems. If they made the same game for both systems then they could likely make a better game. Hopefully THQ is dropped after their poor effort and EA is WWE's new game developer.

Thanks, EPD. Is the crappy balance (cruisers are only in the game to be squished by the larger wrestlers, strength is *the* determination of damage, therefore smaller wrestlers have no advantage) still a problem?

Well, the review on GamingRing.com was pretty good, even questioning why 8.X all of the sudden is an awful score.

EB here said they might not have it until Thursday but are hoping for tomorrow.

I still don't get why they make two different WWE games for two different systems. If they made the same game for both systems then they could likely make a better game. Hopefully THQ is dropped after their poor effort and EA is WWE's new game developer.

THQ is a publisher, not a developer.

Yukes developed both the GC and PS2 games. They've sold extremely well.

Yes, the X-Box games suck.

Unless AKI took on the WWE license (they're under EA now), there's no upside to having EA with the license. Remember Mayhem? Remember Backstage Assault? Do you want WWE games like that?

WWE has an agreement with THQ until 2006, I believe. Unless the lawsuit somehow invalidates the contract (which it shouldn't, since the issue is with Jakks), then THQ and WWE will be staying together.

THQ was the publisher for WWE games ever since Wrestlemania 2000. If WWE has a problem with THQ using certain developers (or not using them) for their games, then they should renegotiate the contract.

Guest fanofcoils
Well, the review on GamingRing.com was pretty good, even questioning why 8.X all of the sudden is an awful score.

EB here said they might not have it until Thursday but are hoping for tomorrow.

People thought the Smackdown game was better last year. This game is very disappointing.

Guest fanofcoils
I still don't get why they make two different WWE games for two different systems.  If they made the same game for both systems then they could likely make a better game.  Hopefully THQ is dropped after their poor effort and EA is WWE's new game developer.

THQ is a publisher, not a developer.

Yukes developed both the GC and PS2 games. They've sold extremely well.

Yes, the X-Box games suck.

Unless AKI took on the WWE license (they're under EA now), there's no upside to having EA with the license. Remember Mayhem? Remember Backstage Assault? Do you want WWE games like that?

WWE has an agreement with THQ until 2006, I believe. Unless the lawsuit somehow invalidates the contract (which it shouldn't, since the issue is with Jakks), then THQ and WWE will be staying together.

THQ was the publisher for WWE games ever since Wrestlemania 2000. If WWE has a problem with THQ using certain developers (or not using them) for their games, then they should renegotiate the contract.

Don't remember those games but I remember Warzone and Attitude by Acclaim which were bad. I hope WWE gets a new developer for their games.

"Don't remember those games but I remember Warzone and Attitude by Acclaim which were bad."

No shit, Sherlock.

"I hope WWE gets a new developer for their games."

Why?

Guest cpac

I think the gamingring review just might be biased. I will not be buying this game, I am not willing to take a risk. It's too bad because I was more than pleased by HCTP. Hopefully the next smackdown game takes 2 step forwards instead of 2 steps back.

Guest fanofcoils
"I hope WWE gets a new developer for their games."

Why?

Because they can't get it done anymore. Worse game and it looks like less buys.

Am I the only one that was into Warzone? For the time, I thought it was quite fun, despite the 'characters moving like blocks of wood' thing that they had going on.

Warzone and Attitude were insanely fun for me of my friends back in the day.

Still iffy on the title. I might rent it. I was going to trade in three games I never play anymore at EB to get it for free - but then I said "fuck that" and am going to trade them in for MAT2, instead. :)

Guest AllCanadian

Those EA WCW games were sure classics.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I actually picked this one up last night. I DO enjoy the game, but it certainly has it's faults. Especially when compared to the superior HCTP. But there are good things in there as well. The gameplay IMO, has improved and the graphics are definately better too. The roster being scaled down sucks, but I know I'll just make up for that when I get into making CAW's again. I haven't checked out the CAW stuff yet, but I have heard both good and bad things about it. I did like what I got to checkout of the PPV mode, but I don't like the fact that you need to buy the parts to create the belt and you pretty much have to pay for everything in this game (that is through the money you make in season mode). But being a hardcore fan.............I will still have fun with this one. Even if I don't...........there IS plenty of GTA playing that I want to accomplish as well.

I still don't get why they make two different WWE games for two different systems.  If they made the same game for both systems then they could likely make a better game.  Hopefully THQ is dropped after their poor effort and EA is WWE's new game developer.

Those EA WCW games were sure classics.

Oh yeah, WCW Mayhem was awesome! :P for about 2 minutes

Guest Coffey

Well, I actually anticipate your review Downhome, so you better make that sumbitch lengthy and in detail. I'm putting you on the spot, as your opinion is going to be the deal breaker for me...so don't let me down.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask me. As for my full thoughts, it'll be a while before I post something complete, seeing that I want to put a good while into the game before I put my stamp on it or not. :) In the meantime though, ask away.

I haven't read a single thing about this game, except for the last few posts in this thread over the past few days. I don't know totally what is included and what is not, so it'll all be new to me.

I was wanting my first match to be as Bret, but I just noticed he's locked, so there goes that, heh.

So can a mod make this the OAO thread and change the title to "WWE Smackdown! V.S. Raw"?

Thanks.

EDIT: I probably should just PM someone about this.

Benoit is a horrible bitch!

No, I don't mean he sucks. It just, well maybe the AI in this game is fantastic or something, but Benoit does just as he does in reality. He works your body over with submissions and various moves of that sort, then goes in for the kill with his big impact moves, then hits his finisher just perfectly. He even stalks you in the ring as you are barely getting up.

I love that.