TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

Marlon Brando, Dead at 80

I'm at work and 2 different radio stations confirmed that Marlon Brando is dead at the age of 80. This news is so fresh (as in new) that it isn't up on any news sites yet. I'm positive it'll be up in the next 5 minutes or so.

RIP, Marlon.

Damn you beat me by a minute.

Guest BrokenWings

LOS ANGELES - Marlon Brando, who revolutionized American acting with his Method performances in “Streetcar Named Desire” and “On the Waterfront” and went on to create the iconic characterization of Don Vito Corleone in “The Godfather,” has died. He was 80.

advertisement

Brando died at an undisclosed Los Angeles hospital Thursday, attorney David J. Seeley said Friday. The cause of death was being withheld, Seeley said, noting the actor “was a very private man.”

Brando, whose unpredictable behavior made him equally fascinating off the screen, was acclaimed the greatest actor of his generation, a two-time winner of the Academy Award who influenced some of the best actors of the generation that followed, among them Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Jack Nicholson.

He was the unforgettable embodiment of the brutish Stanley Kowalski of “A Streetcar Named Desire,” the mixed up Terry Malloy of “On the Waterfront” (which won him his first Oscar) and the wily Corleone of “The Godfather.”Marlon Brando, who revolutionized American acting with his Method performances in “Streetcar Named Desire” and “On the Waterfront” and went on to create the iconic characterization of Don Vito Corleone in “The Godfather,” has died, his lawyer said Friday. He was 80.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Credit: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5351267

---

Damn indeed... I can't find the words. Rest in Peace.

Guest wrestlingbs

Wow. And he just announced that he was bankrupt. He was a great actor in his prime.

I think the same thing happened to Jimmy Stuart before he died.

I read that he was playing with his grandchild in his tomato garden and suffered a heart attack... is that true?

That was a joke right?

(Yeah, I chuckled a little.)

RIP Stanley.

RIP Marlon. While his later work was hardly anything worth mentioning for the most part, he was still unquestionably one of the great actors of all time. I personally consider his performance in Last Tango in Paris to be one of the greatest in cinema history.

Marlon Brando was a legend in film, and it is a shame that the younger(my age group included) fans of cinema aren't more familiar with him.

RIP Marlon Brando

Considering his last performance was in The Score, I'd say that's a good way to go out, it was an irreverent, smart role working with 2 great acotrs of their respective generations (Robert DeNiro and Edward Norton).

I need to watch "Godfather" again (Not like I've ever needed an excuse to watch the film).

So CNN is gonna replay his infamous appearance on Larry King tonight

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I bet he killed himself...

Films of Marlon Brando include:

The Men, 1950

A Streetcar Named Desire, 1951

Viva Zapata!, 1952

Julius Caesar, 1953

The Wild One, 1954

On the Waterfront, 1954

Desiree, 1954

Guys and Dolls, 1955

The Teahouse of the August Moon, 1956

Sayonara, 1957

The Young Lions, 1958

The Fugitive Kind, 1960

One-Eyed Jacks, 1961 (also director)

Mutiny on the Bounty, 1962

The Ugly American, 1963

Bedtime Story, 1964

Morituri, 1965

The Chase, 1966

The Appaloosa, 1966

The Countess From Hong Kong, 1967

Reflections in a Golden Eye, 1967

Candy, 1968

The Night of the Following Day, 1969

The Nightcomers, 1971

The Godfather, 1972

Last Tango in Paris, 1972

The Missouri Breaks, 1976

Superman, 1978

Apocalypse Now, 1979

The Formula, 1980

A Dry White Season, 1989

The Freshman, 1990

Christopher Columbus: The Discovery, 1992

Don Juan DeMarco, 1995

The Island of Dr. Moreau, 1996

The Brave, 1997

Free Money, 1998

The Score, 2001

Apocalypse Now Redux, 2001

Take it easy, Marlon. We'll miss ya.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

Everyone should see “On the Waterfront”, thats one of the best movies ever.

you know, with Brando dying, it's becoming more and more apparent that in the years to come, we won't have that group of legendery actors anymore, the ones that became icons like Redford, Heston, Newman etc. I mean, really, who will become a legend from the current crop of actors? Tom Hanks?

I just finished reading The Godfather, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't picture the Don as being any different from the way Brando played him.

RIP, you will always be the greatest film actor in history.

you know, with Brando dying, it's becoming more and more apparent that in the years to come, we won't have that group of legendery actors anymore, the ones that became icons like Redford, Heston, Newman etc. I mean, really, who will become a legend from the current crop of actors? Tom Hanks?

Pacino? De Niro?

I'm willing to bet if Pitt played a few more serious roles, he'd forge a legacy.

But thats for another discussion.

Channel 4 here in England devoted the first 15 minutes of its News bulletin at 7pm to Brando, and it had Richard Attenborough almost wetting himself over Brando's ability. He'll be missed.

Guest TonyJaymzV1
you know, with Brando dying, it's becoming more and more apparent that in the years to come, we won't have that group of legendery actors anymore, the ones that became icons like Redford, Heston, Newman etc.  I mean, really, who will become a legend from the current crop of actors? Tom Hanks?

Pacino? De Niro?

I'm willing to bet if Pitt played a few more serious roles, he'd forge a legacy.

eh, I consider those two legends in the same vein as brando, etc. b/c they basically made their best films during the same time (70's, early-to-mid 80's) I'd rather not think of those 2 in the 90's and now. I mean, they are great actors but they have made some clunkers lately. Deniro hasn't had an outstanding performance since maybe CopLand

now that I think about it. Harvey Keitel could be considered a legend, such a great actor.

Brad Pitt will probably at best be a cult hero legend, but he really should try and act in an "Oscar" movie, he'd do good. Hell, he could just ask to trade a role for a role with Tom Hanks. Imagine Pitt in Saving Private Ryan and Hanks in Fight Club!

You know what really scares me? With Hollywood's recent "Let's remake everything!" philosphy, they will eventually get to Godfather or On The Waterfront. Nobody could do those roles except Brando, nobody.

btw I'm gonna start a thread about the whole who will be our legends? conversation, as I want to talk about it, but this is Brando's thread