TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dumb Fuck

Smackdown is truly being treated like a joke now.

Guest Dumb Fuck

What is the point of having London/Kidman winning the tag titles?

I know a lot of you like London... but let's face it, he's been on Smackdown like twice, and no regular fan knows anything about him. They think he's just another small guy loser that should get his ass kicked.

And Kidman... for the last 5 years, he's been the posterboy of having absolutely no reason for the fans to care about him.

I'm all for introducing supposedly good wrestlers like London to the fans... but this isn't how it's done. These are the freaking Tag Team Titles. The Tag Team Title feud should be amongst the 3 most important feuds in the brand.

But, now it's nothing but a joke.

The Tag Team Titles were put on the worst and more unrealistic team possible, and the WWE booking crew knew it. This is simply ridiculous.

I'm sure some deserving team in the next month is going to squash London/Kidman for the titles... but it's so unnecessary. What will it prove?

Guest whitemilesdavis

I thought they worked the London/ Kidman deal perfectly. And with all the celebration and what-not, it actually made the title seem like a bigger deal. I think L / K could become a really good tag-team, and it is cool for the show to have a hint of unpredictability to it. Also, it's not like anybody cares about the Dudleys anymore, so there 300th reign was pretty much meaningless, I like having new blood at the top of the card.

It's not like the Dudleys were doing anything with it. It seems to me that Smackdown in the brand that likes to push new people (Mordicai, Kenzo, Luther). This is just another example of it.

As for making the titles look like jokes, you're wrong. The celebration that the two had showed just how important the belts actually were.

Guest Repo Man Reborn

I liked Kidman better in The Flock.

That may have been the last time he had anything remotely close to a personality.

Maybe these two can become the STRIKE FORCE of 2004.

It's not like the Dudleys were doing anything with it.

the dudleys need to do one of two things:

a) Retire or

b) Liven up their gimmick that has been stale for quite a while now.

At least when the original draft split them up, the singles runs may have fauiled, but at least they were FRESH characters. I have no feelings towards the dudleys anymore, fac or heel. I mean, jeez, give them SOMETHING.

With what you said though...that gives even more reason for them to put the titles on them. To get London..as well as Kidman more over. Especially seeing as how there's not much of a tag division they need to bring another team up.

Yes, we all know it didn't work with Gail Kim, but for one, this is SD and they have canned heat so it's all good...and two the fans already seem to be getting into them. And like wmd said the huge celebration made the titles seem like a bigger deal. The last few weeks London has been getting 'uber' reactions for those outside bumps he loves so much. So really..no point in keeping the titles on the Dudley's.

I thought that their reactions in the ring were good, the celebration was good, and even the Dudley's handshake acknowldgement of them as a team were good.

All of the above will be wasted if this team loses the belts in the next few weeks. Give them a mini-run as champs, beating established teams, and they might have done a good job of creating a new tag team.

No, regular fans really don't know much about London. Face it kiddies, not everyone is a smark.

Their celebration wasn't showing how important the tag titles were, it's attempting to make them look important again after a lame duck Dudleys run.

And you've all been warned, Kidman and London will be beaten in less than a month probably, just as this guy said. But if you'd rather flame away because it's someone who disagrees, so be it.

Guest Salacious Crumb

So you complain about new faces winning belts instead of the stupidity of the ME. Ok.......

If anything last night devalued a title and a good portion of the roster it was the U.S. Title debacle. Now all the heels look like shit because Angle just had to take the belt from Cena and now the title looks bad because Angle can just take it whenever he wants.

London/Kidman are like Kid/Jannetty or Kid/Holly winning the belts. London isn't well known but he can play the underdog well enough to get the crowd behind him.

Guest Staravenger

I think WWE is serious on a SMALL push at least. Lately on Velocity London has been given more appearences, and is actually winning. Sure, on Smackdown his record is like 0-2, but he's been on T.V. for a while, even if it's not the "top" show of the brand.

Kidman is over, but he needs to do something to wake up the crowd because he has NO PERSONALITY except for that goofy ass grin. He's the Lance Storm of cruiserweights. He's a pretty good worker, but there's nothing for him to do to get over except to try and kill himself.

Also the Dudleyz reign HAD to be a quick trick because of Ricos mid-match injury, hence why no Title match was at GAB, and why they really haven't even defended them on T.V.

He has a point about London not being well known. I remember watching Velocity the other week with a non-fan friend, who basically had no idea of anyone on the show except for The Dudleyz and 'Lex Jnr' (Jindrak).

Then again, once the match was over he was impressed with London.

The post-match celebration did more to make the belts seem important than yet another Dudley reign did. Where things go from here though is the crucial test.

I'm holding out hope for something good to come of this, but only because there's not much else to do with the belts besides give London/Kidman a run. Saying that though, I doubt it'll be long before a turn and feud between the two that will rival Kidman/Cena in terms of apathy and poor execution.

Guest Dumb Fuck

I thought the post-match celebration was more of a "OMG, I can't believe we actually won the Tag Titles, what an upset!" feeling.

I liked London from what I saw. I've never seen any of his work from ROH or whatever, and I don't really care to. I was impressed by his bumps. Please don't think I just don't like him.

But, would it have been so hard to at least showcase London & Kidman in a few tag matches on Smackdown beforehand? Maybe have London actually in a match that anyone cared about on TV? That's why the crowd seemed to not care at all that London/Kidman won.

I know you London and Kidman fans are happy now, but they will lose the titles soon, probably in a quick squash match. You'll be angry again, because London/Kidman will look like a fluke. It will lead to a pathetic Tag Title change, that will devalue the belts even more.

If London/Kidman are actually pushed at all out of this, you can color me surprised. But, I'm just not seeing the positives of this.

Two Things..

Did the Dudleyz win the titles in a mid match change because of Ricos injury.. or were they scheduled to beat Haas and Rico?

And Two, Maybe MAYBE WWE is smartening up. 11 Cruiserweights on Smackdown last night, 9 wrestled.

Wrestled (9) - El Gran Luchadore (Shannon Moore), Jamie Noble, Akio, Spike Dudley, Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Scotty 2 Hotty, Paul London, Billy Kidman.

Didnt Wrestle, But Appeared (2) - Nunzio, Funaki.

Maybe WWE is actually taking what we say into consideration. After that Bruce Pritchard statement about taking away the cruiserweights, and now this? Maybe WWE knows either that this is what the fans want. Maybe they finally looked at their numbers and realized that they needed to listen to the fans about somethings. IE, use the cruiserweights.

But, would it have been so hard to at least showcase London & Kidman in a few tag matches on Smackdown beforehand?

That would of took the whole thing away from the storyline. Kidman and London are UNDERDOGS. If they wrestled a few matches on SD and won.. They wouldn't be the underdogs anymore. And If they lost, why are they getting a title shot when say the teams that beat them arent? This is the way to do it, and It was awesome to make the beat the Dudleyz. It looks good for them, and it was done in a good way. I thought it was a very good match.

The Celebration was awesome. It brought new meaning back to the titles that had been gone for sometime. The way the celebrated, all the congradulations backstage. It showed that the titles mean something again. Of course they didnt think they would win, thats why they were so happy, yet suprised. They tried their hardest and pulled out a upset, and were crazy happy about it. I thought it raised the titles back up to its natural spot, as the Number 2 or 3 title.

Now let's hope since the FBI were the first TEAM to congradulate Kidman and London, that a feud starts with them. Although, I heard that FBI have been getting alot of Face Pops recently :angry:

the dudleys need to do one of two things:

a) Retire or

b) Liven up their gimmick that has been stale for quite a while now.

I actually like the Dudleyz as heels. They seem to be able to work a crowd, and we dont get all those damn table chants anymore. I really think that the Heel Dudleyz are a fresh twist from the face Dudleyz from the last 3 years. I find the Dudleyz mildly entertaining again, compared to when I despised seeing them on my TV a few months ago.

And you've all been warned, Kidman and London will be beaten in less than a month probably, just as this guy said. But if you'd rather flame away because it's someone who disagrees, so be it.

I'm kinda thinking that as well. BUT in the time that they DO have the belts, having Kidman and London act as if it's a real big deal cannot be a bad thing as far as making the titles seem important again go...

I'm just glad they're at least making a half hearted effort to suprise the fans. Stuff like this doesn't happen often, so I'm ok with it when it does.

And the Dudleys are so dull right now. Unless they go on a violent killing spree I could care less about them.

the London/Kidman team winning the tag titles could be just the thing to reinvigorate the division. Think about it, with the Dudleys you knew that they would be winning 90% of the time, but with London/Kidman they could plausibly lose to anyone. They're the underdogs of the division, and i'm not saying they should be Team Whipwreck where they pull a win out of their ass after being squashed in a match, I'm saying each match has the opprotunity to be very competitive.

London/Kidman vs. The Bashams has more "anyone can take it" quality that Dudley Boyz vs. Bashams. Same with all other SD! teams. Better Competition=better matches.

-Cheex

Just be happy that two guys who are good in the ring and can have exciting matches actually weren't squshed or just beaten the all holy hell out of and the fact that they are cruiserweights and didn't get squshed is great.. Last night made it look like Smackdown was actually going to go somewhere with the cruiserweight matches. I mean look at it, two cruiserweights went over on the WWE's top tag team and we actually had a cruiserweight match that didn't end with some big hoss running down and destorying them all and the fact that Mysterio or Chavo got the finish in that match and the fact that Noble got the pin is a good sign also. Hopefully WWE is going to try and make something out of the crusierweight divison now for a little while because WWE will eventully drop it down again, but lets all hope they do something with the divison on Smackdown now.

Its funny when people say "nobody knows London, not everyone is a smark." They fail to realize that in the first few minutes of the match the crowd was on their side. They came out to no reaction but when they did their double team and aerial moves they got big reaction. It is not like London is doing "technical mat wrestling" where fans might shit on it if they don't know who you are. He does flashy crowd pleasing moves. Not only that, he does it better than most cruiserweights. Give London and Kidman time on the next two Smackdowns and I guarantee that on that on third Smackdown they will be over huge. Paul London is a guy who will make the fans of the WWE forget the name Jeff Hardy.

Guest Hybrid420

I thought the London/Kidman victory was cool and I could have sworn that D-Von was going to break up the SSP pin and win the match. I was pretty surprised. I think it breathed life into the Tag Titles. They've become so stale and insignificant. Sometimes I forget who are the champions and I watch SD every week. Frankly, I'm tired of the same people holding the same titles for months and defending them against the same people (i.e. John Cena/Dupree, Chavo/Mysterio). I hope their reign isn't too short-lived and if so, I hope they lose it to a team who hasn't held the titles recently.

Guest Wondermouse

I don't know, I mean, it looked like EVERYONE was deadset on getting London and Kidman over.

1) I think that's a new entrance, but I could be wrong. It's not the normal London music, at least.

2) The Velocity win.

3) The celebration.

4) The Dudleyz rub

5) Hell, even Josh Matthews congratulated them right after.

At the very least, if they lose the belts, it won't be to the Dudleyz. I hope we'll start getting feuds, or, at the very least, an actual tag division where there's a chance for anyone to win the title.

I don't think you can keep the titles on one team forever unless there's a big feud surrounding it. It gets stale. I don't mind if London/Kidman lose it in a few weeks, as long as there's a mix of tag teams in the division and it's promoted that anyone can win it. That is, when Rico/Haas had their defenses, we knew they weren't losing it (though the matches were entertaining). Kidman/London MAY lose it next week, sure. But losing the belts doesn't mean it's a total burial or anything.

Guest Duncan Eternia
I thought they worked the London/ Kidman deal perfectly. And with all the celebration and what-not, it actually made the title seem like a bigger deal. I think L / K could become a really good tag-team, and it is cool for the show to have a hint of unpredictability to it. Also, it's not like anybody cares about the Dudleys anymore, so there 300th reign was pretty much meaningless, I like having new blood at the top of the card.

Well put. The Dudley I think could be a great heel team (again) if they just changed something about themselves. Maybe new ring attire, or anything really.

Guest combat_rock

Personally, I thought the stage was set very well due to the match on Velocity last week, and the fact that they recapped that for viewers who don't normally watch Velocity. London and Kidman were still HUGE underdogs, but there was a reason they were in the match, and a possibilty for them to win.

And as everyone has already said, the post match angles were great. Hopefully we'll get some feuds between London and Kidman and the Bashams, and the FBI can feud with Akio/Sakoda for number one contendership. The Dudleyz should stay out of tag title contention for a while, and concentrate on defending Paul Heyman, and perhaps adding another member to form a faction.

1) I think that's a new entrance, but I could be wrong. It's not the normal London music, at least.

Actually its Kiddman's entrance. The team uses it.

Guest Wondermouse

Actually its Kiddman's entrance. The team uses it.

Oh, that sucks. The only times I've ever seen them in the ring together, they didn't get an entrance.

Guest Chumpstain
Its funny when people say "nobody knows London, not everyone is a smark." They fail to realize that in the first few minutes of the match the crowd was on their side. They came out to no reaction but when they did their double team and aerial moves they got big reaction.

As someone who attended Smackdown, I do have to dispute that point. While they did get a reaction, it was a relatively muted one, compared to the Dudleys who were very over. Bubba especially was getting positive chants, and there were a lot of "We want tables!" chants. It wasn't until midway through the match, when Bubba ducked out of the ring quickly, grabbed the mic, and insulted Winnipeg, that people really turned on him and got fully behind London/Kidman. That was editted out for TV, but it happened just before the audible "Dudleys suck" chant, which was prompted by his brief rant.

Now, after the win, they did get a big reaction. They did get a standing ovation, though partly out of surprise that they actually won. The post-match reaction was very good, and if they can keep that up, then they'll do fine.