TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

Bored's College Football Pick 'Em Contest

2004 Bored College Football Pick 'Em Contest

Last season I had a pick 'em contest for the bowls (won by razazteca) and I thought it came off well enough to do a pick 'em contest for the entire season. Now originally I was thinking of just doing a straight pick 'em where the person who picks the most games right wins. But what fun would that be? So I decided to borrow/steal kkk's idea of having head-to-head match-ups every week but with a college football twist.

Now there are 117 Division I-A teams in college football so there is no way I can get 117 posters to join the contest. So my goal is to get 32 people to sign up and pick a school they want to represent. I will then put together four conferences of eight teams. I'll try my best to get teams in their real life conference in the same conference in the contest.

Once I get 32 people in the contest (hopefully) I will put together a 13 week schedule. I'll match-up real life games in the week they happen. Each participant in the contest will pick the winners to every nationally televised game and ABC regional game that weekend. The first week though will encompass the first two weekends of the college football season as there is only one game the weekend of August 28th (USC vs. Virginia Tech). Of course the team who picks the most games right wins the game. I will have two tiebreaker pick em' games every week (which will be the games that has the closest spread) and then a tiebreaker question, which will be something like "how many yards will Matt Leinart throw for this week?" and other related questions. Since there are no ties in college football I don't plan on having any ties here.

Now for the college football twist on this, first off during the conference championship game week we will have our own conference championship week. The 1st and 2nd place teams in each conference will face off that week and the winners will qualify for the Bored Championship Series. I will have a total of seven bowl games as of yet to be determined match-ups. Of course there will be national championship game between the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the contest. Oh and yes each bowl game will be sponsored.

Now that brings me to the rankings. I will have Top 10 rankings every week featuring the Bored Championship Series formula. Now it's far less confusing than the real life BCS formula. It will contain three factors:

1) Total won/loss record

2) Perecentage of total correct picks made

3) Perecentage of total correct picks made against, which will serve as strength of schedule

These will all be weighted evenly and there is hopefully the chance someone might get screwed...just like real life!

Now for the prize. You do not have to pay to enter the contest but I will buy the winner of the national championship game something in value of $50 to $60. It can be college football related merchandise if you so choose (currently looking for good sites to buy college football merchandise) or if you don't want something college football related I could buy you a couple of DVDs of your choice off of Amazon.com. I will be participating in the contest but I can't win. If I'm the #1 team, the #2 team will win the prize.

Now I need the 32 posters to join, and of course only join if you know you can particpate the entire season. Through pm's to people who particpated in my bowl pick 'em contest last season and regular to semi-regulars in the college football topics I have 22 people who have joined the contest. Here who has joined and which school they will represent.

Updated (complete list)

Stanford - Bored

Michigan – Mad Dog

UCLA – phoenixrising

Syracuse – CanadianChris

Florida State – 2GOLD

Tennessee – Kotzenjunge

Oklahoma – Damaramu

Texas – Flyboy

USC – Cartman

LSU – teke184

Notre Dame – Lando Griffin

Maryland – MarvinisaLunatic

Minnesota – Vern Gagne

Rutgers – the pinjockey

Ohio State – Gert T

Boston College – HarleyQuinn

Kent State – JHawk

Florida – Agent Bond34

Hawaii – Will Scarlet

Arizona State – Spicy McHaggis

Michigan State – lomasmoney

Virginia – Edwin MacPhisto

Auburn - Agent of Oblivion

Oregon - nogoodnick

West Virginia - Loaded Boot

Penn State - therealworldschampion

Alabama - AlwaysPissedOff

Miami (FL) - Spaceman Spiff

Georgia - Big_Jay101

Washington State - Soylent Green is People

Boise State - Rob E Dangerously

Bowling Green - "Hail" bps21

REGISTRATIONS CLOSED

Can sign up to be on the stand by list if someone drops out.

Might wanna amend that list to say "Kotzenjunge" instead of this name. Much easier for folks to recognize, and it'll throw me off less if my name gets changed by AoO between now and the end of the season.

Guest Soylent Green Is People

I'll take one of the final spots, Washington State doesn't look to be taken so i'll take them.

You know just to point out that it might be a pretty good bet to take Missouri. Brad Smith is rated pretty high in the preseason and everyone is taking them, even over K-State to win the Big 12 North.

Two spots remaining.

For those final two spots it would help if whoever takes those final two spots that one of them be a team from the west coast (Pac-10, Mountain West, or WAC) and the other be from the Big Ten or MAC. It will help me set up the conferences really nicely. Again just suggestions.

Oh and since we do have some newbies participating I'm probably going to ask for picks to the first week of games (USC/Va Tech and then the full slate of games the following weekend) a couple of weeks in advance just to make sure everyone who signed up is definently going to participate. That's still a month off from now though.

Quit your belly aching. Besides these are contests and we're just trying to fill out our final spots. Once I get these final two spots filled then they can unpin it.

Updated: Final conference breakdown

Pac-10/WAC

Stanford - Bored

UCLA - phoenixrising

USC - Cartman

Hawaii - Will Scarlet

Arizona State - Spicy McHaggis

Oregon - nogoodnick

Washington State - Soylent Green is People

Boise State - Rob E Dangerously

Big Ten/MAC/Ind

Michigan - Mad Dog

Notre Dame - Lando Griffin

Minnesota - Vern Gagne

Ohio State - Gert T

Kent State - JHawk

Michigan State - lomasmoney

Penn State - therealworldschampion

Bowling Green - "hail" bps21

SEC/Big 12

Tennessee - Kotzenjunge

Oklahoma - Damaramu

Texas - Flyboy

LSU - teke184

Florida - Agent Bond34

Auburn - Agent of Oblivion

Alabama - AlwaysPissedOff

Georgia - Big Jay101

ACC/Big East

Syracuse - CanadianChris

Florida State - 2GOLD

Maryland - MarvinisaLunatic

Rutgers - the pinjockey

Boston College - HarleyQuinn

Virginia - Edwin MacPhisto

West Virginia - Loaded Boot

Miami - Spaceman Spiff

Man, I'm in a tough conference.

So why do we have two pinned football threads a full month before any games begin?

Because football owns, that's why.

*looks at the WAC/Pac 10 conference*

Damn Cartman may have a cakewalk if he plays his cards right. All he's got to do is well...pick his team over everyone else.

Um who you are has no impact on this. It's pick 'em contest, you pick the winners to all nationally televised and ABC regional games every week. JHawk with Kent State has a good a chance as winning as Cartman does with USC. It's your knowledge that's going to win this contest, not how well the school you represent plays.

Guest Flyboy
So why do we have two pinned football threads a full month before any games begin?

Football > Baseball.

I hope I won't have to beg for these final two spots to be filled. Again whoever reads this who is interested please choose a Pac-10, WAC, Big Ten, or MAC team to represent.

I've already noticed one correction to the Bored Championship Series formula. Instead of total correct picks and total correct picks against, it will be the perecentage of correct picks you make (and your opponents make) that will be considered in the formula. The reason why is because there won't be the same number of games to pick from every week.

Rob E Dangerously has signed up and will represent Boise State.

Down to one more spot to fill and need it to be a Big Ten or MAC team.