TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Promoter

Bruno in the wwe?

This week's Observer states that Bruno met with Jim Ross and another WWE official. Negotiations are said to be going better than ever before and that Bruno seems much more receptive than before to coming back to the WWE. They want to induct him into the Hall of Fame, talked about releasing a DVD and a new book as well as him working with WWE 24/7.

Bruno is adamant about not working at all with Vince directly. He is also concerned about how he will be perceived by others if, after all these years of harsh and personal criticisms, he works for the company again.

What do you all think? Do you want him to work with the WWE? I say yes if it means a new book, DVD, and his getting the rightful praise he deserves.

Also, would you think any less of him for going back?

Guest Staravenger

His career was pretty much over before I was born (his 85-87 run really wasn't anything) so I have no opinions of him at all from a personal stand-point.

Guest Choken One

It's a Shame Bruno was so bitter towards vince because Vince always had a hard on for Bruno (and rightly so).

I'm not sure how a DVD would sell, i'm certain the Older Generation will stoop it up in a instant just like the fans of the Flair Generation (mid-30's) went straight for the DVD. It'll likely not sell to the modern fan but in the NY market, it'll sell nicely.

Vince had many opportunities to smear Bruno's name and yet, he never did. He respects Bruno too much.

Think about that, He smeared Hogan, Bret and countless other's and only Bruno and Steve Austin(for now) has avoided his wrath.

Well, didn't the wwe want to release a "history of wwe championship" dvd at Christmas this year? The last set of scheduled releases did not include this title. Vince has the Bret dvd to have a cash cow for Christmas. I think the wwe may use Bruno as a large part of the "history of wwe championship" dvd if they still are working on it. You know, I never did notice that Vince never ripped on Bruno? I suspect it could also have to do with respect for his father's "Hulk Hogan". Vince may feel he had a lot to do with Hogan and Hart's success with his different approach to the business. After all, Bruno is indeed the true pioneer of his company.

Staravenger, I kind of fall into the same category as you and I feel as a hardcore fan that this is quite interesting. If he straight shoots with a book I would love to see his perspective of the evolution of the company he put on the map and carried for 2 decades. He is a big jigsaw to the big puzzle of the history of wrestling.

Guest Choken One

which is interesting...Considering he hated his father and all. You'd think he'd want to thrash his fathers biggest star...when he has no trouble trashing Hogan and Hart (up until recently) and eventully he'll attack Austin...

Yet, Bruno whom has been vicious towards WWF for 20 years, a image his father "created" (or rather promoted to be more honest)...he treats with the upmost respect.

Guest DVD Spree

Wait a second, Vince hasn't smeared Austin?

He wasn't gone five minutes before he had Kevin Dunn throwing together a Confidential package where Vince and JR buried the guy. Not to mention getting The Rock to go and do more of his dirty work by cutting a promo on Austin - it may not be Bret screwed Bret, but I'm pretty sure that counts as a smear.

Guest Choken One

Yes but he came back and they love him again...I'm thinking more of the recent actions where he just goes "we had nothing to do anymore"...He's more cival...but you are right. he did smear the fuck out of austin in 2002.

That's correct, but I think these guys are talking more about recently. Although, he did say that fans aren't exactly asking for Austin(OTR) which could be seen a slight on his current value. Vince is said to be an actual mark for some of the old school guys like Superstar and Bruno for some reason although he doesn't actually follow the old school philosophy. He kept guys from his father's era in employment because he promised his dad that and kept his word. People like James Dudley(R.I.P.) are proof of this. Even people like Captain Lou Albano had it made until he challenged Vince's grapefruits and told him he couldn't fire him cause he was the captain.

His career was pretty much over before I was born (his 85-87 run really wasn't anything) so I have no opinions of him at all from a personal stand-point.

Then don't fucking post in this thread.

Idiot.

As for Bruno, good for him. His hatred for Vince shouldn't be allowed to cause his legacy to be forgotten.

Wait a second, Vince hasn't smeared Austin?

He wasn't gone five minutes before he had Kevin Dunn throwing together a Confidential package where Vince and JR buried the guy. Not to mention getting The Rock to go and do more of his dirty work by cutting a promo on Austin - it may not be Bret screwed Bret, but I'm pretty sure that counts as a smear.

Oh jesus, that promo wasn't a smear. I was there live and I would have been marking out of my socks if it felt like a smear. It felt much more like a "send the fans home happy" sort of thing.

Actually, thinking about it now you are right. Vince thanked Austin and did a cheer for Austin didn't he? It was Rock who made the snide remarks on Austin on the broadcast.

I'd love to see Bruno get some attention on WWE DVD.

And though Vince never smeared Bruno, he did make efforts to eradicate Bruno's legacy for pretty much all of the 90's. It wasn't until the Invasion and the "history of WWE" video that he began to show some respect for Bruno, who appeared several times in the video.

If they want to do a 'History of the WWF/E championship, Bruno HAS to be a part of it. The man was champion for something like a decade's worth of time. They can't start it with Pedro Morales' title win over Ivan Koloff after all.

I don't think a Bruno DVD would sell well though. It's been almost 25 years since Bruno's last noteworthy portion of his career (Zybysko feud). The current fans won't care enough to buy it.

I'm old and I'd even have doubts about buying it. I'd probably get it for the historical ascpects of it but what little I've seen of actual Sammartino matches did nothing for me.

Guest DVD Spree
Oh jesus, that promo wasn't a smear. I was there live and I would have been marking out of my socks if it felt like a smear. It felt much more like a "send the fans home happy" sort of thing.

Sorry, bad phrasing, I meant that Vince's behaviour in general counts as smearing Austin in my book - the aforementioned Confidential piece, and the fact that, regardless of whatever The Rock actually said or how happy the fans were, Vince actually told the guy to go out and cut a promo on Stone Cold.

Not trying to make a big deal or anything, just saying.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Meh, I'll believe this when I see it. Bruno has bashed the WWE and Vince for years now and I really doubt someone like him(someone so old school) would go back on the way they've been acting. Plus, he would totally look like a fool if he ever worked in any capacity for Vince again.......based totally on his own attitude.

Another question is will the latest Bret tirade prevent any future work such as the Bret DVD for Christmas. Bret didn't hold back at all lately. This is another reason why I would love to see a real straight shoot of Bruno in a book. It would be quite entertaining I think. I noticed Bret didn't defend Bruno against Flair's attack.

I don't think a Bruno DVD would sell well though. It's been almost 25 years since Bruno's last noteworthy portion of his career (Zybysko feud). The current fans won't care enough to buy it.

I agree that a lot of current fans wouldn't care enough to buy it, simply because they have no idea who Bruno Sammartino is.

However, I know a lot of current fans who bought Bloodbath because the Bruno-Zbyszko match was listed on it and were pissed that they clipped it down to about 30 seconds, so we could all be surprised.

Guest MikeSC

I agree that a lot of current fans wouldn't care enough to buy it, simply because they have no idea who Bruno Sammartino is.

However, I know a lot of current fans who bought Bloodbath because the Bruno-Zbyszko match was listed on it and were pissed that they clipped it down to about 30 seconds, so we could all be surprised.

Thing is, Bruno, from the matches I've seen, was terrible in the ring. If he worked today, he'd have been laughed out of the ring.

-=Mike

Thing is, Bruno, from the matches I've seen, was terrible in the ring. If he worked today, he'd have been laughed out of the ring.

-=Mike

If this is true, then the wwe have some of the greatest television producers and can make it look all slick. However, from what I've read Bruno's matches that were done on television were a lot different than what would happen at house shows because back then all his matches for television were blow off matches where he was suppose to murder his opponents after the program had exhausted. Some say Bruno's real workrate was not documented on tv for the most part due to the philosophy back then.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Why release a DVD on Bruno? It wouldn't sell, at all. There are so many others IN THE COMPANY who deserve a bigtime dvd treatment. Heck, if they aren't in the company, at least do someone who the fans will remember, like Austin.

While we're on the subject of DVD's (because I don't really care too much about Bruno) the Eddy Guerrero DVD is set for release on Sept 28th and will be a 2 DISC DELUXE EDITION.

Yeah, it's off topic but more people care about Eddy then Bruno.

Why release a DVD on Bruno? It wouldn't sell, at all.  There are so many others IN THE COMPANY who deserve a bigtime dvd treatment.  Heck, if they aren't in the company, at least do someone who the fans will remember, like Austin.

Again, the idea last year when the wwe was courting Bruno again was to have him be included in the "history of wwe championship" dvd. I believe they already got interviews with Pedro Morales and as we know Superstar Billy Graham. I think it might have had something to do with Brock's "Greatest WWE Champion of all-time" push that got halted around Royal Rumble time. A dvd of this kind will make money and having Bruno as a spokesman for the wwe 24/7 would attract the fanbase that stopped caring about the product when Bruno disappeared. That is a fanbase that the 24/7 would attract as well which was the sexual revolution era of the 60's that gave way to the baby boom of the 80's.

I'm not old enough to remember Bruno's reign, and unfortunately the only match I have of Bruno on video or DVD is the 'bored-me-to-sleep' Cage match with Koloff on the Bloodbath DVD. So I'm not as wary of the presence he had on the business as some people here.

But from an impartial view, then he's no better than Foley, Sable or Piper in my book...perhaps worse, because he's been so outspoken. Wasn't he the guy who said "Vince McMahon made wrestling trash?" If he goes back and works for him then that isn't going to put him in a positive light.

I still don't see it happening though.

Guest Trivia247

Maybe Bruno finally warmed up after he saw the WWE give A-Train a mutated version of the Canadian Backbreaker for a finisher...

Guest brethart

Idiot.

As for Bruno, good for him. His hatred for Vince shouldn't be allowed to cause his legacy to be forgotten.

He was talking about how a Bruno DVD would sell. Someone giving there opinion, and telling us what they know of a wrestler is more than appropriate. Your the Idiot son.

Guest Trivia247

Idiot.

He was talking about how a Bruno DVD would sell. Someone giving there opinion, and telling us what they know of a wrestler is more than appropriate. Your the Idiot son.

To be fair now Bruno's main wrestling career was pretty much over with in his last WWF stint. He was a added gate attraction especially in New York. Bruno Was mad over during his last stint. And keep in mind Bruno was no spring chicken. Of course his career for the most part was over because he was only wrestling since the early to mid 60's for god sake. He is essentially where Ric Flair is now give or take a few years. And Ric isn't truly a full time wrestler.