TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kahran Ramsus

Jack Black to play Green Lantern?

All Those Rumors About GREEN LANTERN... They’re True! Dear God, They’re True!!

Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...

Jack Black has closed his deal. He will be playing Green Lantern in a film that has been described as a “zany comedy version a la THE MASK.” All rights to the DC comic have been worked out as well, so you can expect to start hearing more about this project in the months ahead.

As I understand it, DC Comics tried desperately to dodge this bullet, but ultimately, they don’t have the right to veto something if Warner Bros. really wants to make it happen. This is the problem with the way DC’s deal with their corporate overlords is structured. Their hands are tied. As much as they are aware of the problem with this approach to the material, they just have to sit back and watch it happen along with fans of the character and the rich mythology that has been established over the long run of the various GREEN LANTERN titles.

I like Jack Black. I really do. I’m dying to see what he does in KING KONG because I trust the director and the rest of the creative team, and I have a feeling they’ll find the right way to harness his energy. But this GREEN LANTERN gives me gas right away. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong. Maybe they’ll find a way to make it funny without totally trashing everything that’s ever made the title great. And maybe this’ll be exactly as godawful as it sounds. Either way, this one just passed from “rumor” to “confirmed news,” so brace yourselves, comic fans. It’s coming...

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17971

This is popping up elsewhere as well, so it seems to be true. WB execs are rapidly becoming as bad as Eisner and company over at Disney.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

A green lantern comedy starring Jack Black?....and people are complaining!?

fuck, not fair. With all the awesome X-Men, Spiderman, Batman movies, i was expecting that someone someday would make an awesome GL movie, he's one of the coolest heroes ever! But no, a Mask-like comedy.....a MASK-like comedy.....

Guest SpiderFan

:firing: WB

And does this mean we have to see Jack Black in green spandex? :ph34r:

Guest SP-1
A green lantern comedy starring Jack Black?....and people are complaining!?

Yes. And the complaining is only going to get much louder and much worse and very rightly so. This is ridiculous.

Hopefully the fan base will unite and let WB know we're not going to waste out money on this.

Guest TheJewof2001

Black is only good when he plays, Jack Black. This might suck, big time.

Wow, the WB is truly lost aren't they?

Does DC say anything EVER or do they just count the zeros on the check as they walk away?

Guest SpiderFan
Does DC say anything EVER or do they just count the zeros on the check as they walk away?

From the article:

'"As I understand it, DC Comics tried desperately to dodge this bullet, but ultimately, they don’t have the right to veto something if Warner Bros. really wants to make it happen"

This will suck so so bad. I love Jack Black but he has no business playing a super hero. Shame on Warner Bros. The Green Lantern has a great story and to make a fucking comedy out of it starring JACK F'N BLACK as the lead is pretty pathetic.

From the article:

'"As I understand it, DC Comics tried desperately to dodge this bullet, but ultimately, they don’t have the right to veto something if Warner Bros. really wants to make it happen"

Which may also explain why they can't do anything about the Superman script. Or Catwoman.

We're obviously looking at things the wrong way - we need to ask ourselves why Batman Begins actually looks GOOD...

Guest The Notorious CRD

Shameful. Absolutely shameful.

For YEARS, I dreamed of a Green Lantern movie being made... and with modern-day CGI it could be great... but a comedy? Starring Jack Black? I like Jack Black and all, but this one's gonna stink badly.

Warner Exec: Hey, what comic book character can we ruin today?

Other Warner Exec: I don't know, we've ruined Catwoman, right?

W E: Yeah, We got Halle Berry. It's going to be worse than those Captain America Movies from the seventies.

O W E: Well, we can ruin Superman.

W E: We're working on that.

O W E: What about.. Wonder Woman?

W E: We ruined that in the seventies.

O W E: The Flash?

W E: We tried to ruin that in the 90's

O W E: How about Captain Marvel?

W E: What the? Who the hell is that? No, keep going.

O W E: Green Lantern?

W E: GREAT! We'll cast Jack Black. It will be hilarious. Who will we ruin after him though?

O W E: How about the Martian Manhunter?

W E: An alien movie, huh? Cast Will Smith. It will be like Starship Troopers, but better.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

I don't understand this, the movie of course won't do the comic justice if they tried to do it seriously, everyone but hardcore green lantern fans would be groaning at the thought of another comic book movie, and eventually even they'll turn on it for not being true enough.

With this we get a unique idea, a funny movie and hopefully the self-depricating end to this comic book movie craze.

After enduring endless commercials for Catwoman, Superman, Elektra and Batman we'll get a refreshing comedic break that's spun from the same thread. Good says I.

I don't understand this, the movie of course won't do the comic justice if they tried to do it seriously, everyone but hardcore green lantern fans would be groaning at the thought of another comic book movie, and eventually even they'll turn on it for not being true enough.

With this we get a unique idea, a funny movie and hopefully the self-depricating end to this comic book movie craze.

After enduring endless commercials for Catwoman, Superman, Elektra and Batman we'll get a refreshing comedic break that's spun from the same thread. Good says I.

You've seen commercials for Superman?

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

No, but I haven't seen them for Elektra or Batman either, so I guess you missed the point.

bleh.....This is just horrible. Not just ruining a great comic charecter but Jack Black in another leading role...Black is good in small doses, to much of him makes me want to stick spikes through my ears.

Guest SP-1

Mole--

Essentially, a race of beings, The Oans, created a coprs of heroes to safeguard the galaxy, using power rings that could create anything out of green energy. The will power of the ring-bearer operates it. One day, a test pilot named Hal Jordan happened upon a dying alien who passed on his ring to Jordan, making Jordan Earth's GL and the guardian of this sector of space.

They are called Green Lanterns because the ring's energy is not endless. They must be recharged in a "battery" that looks like an old fashioned lantern.

That's the basest of base essentials. There was a GL on Earth before Hal Jordan but that's a whole other story. The current GL for the sector is Kyle Rainer, Hal's direct successor. John Stewart is the GL for the Justice League presently, and I suppose for Earth as well.

If Identity Crisis is any indication, Guy Gardner may also be in posession of a Green power ring again somehow.

If Identity Crisis is any indication, Guy Gardner may also be in posession of a Green power ring again somehow.

Wait... isn't Guy in Hell or something? Or is "I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League" gonna be an Elseworlds story?

Guest SP-1

Wait... isn't Guy in Hell or something? Or is "I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League" gonna be an Elseworlds story?

Not a clue. Then again, I'm not sure WHERE the hell Identity Crisis actually takes place in the DCU timeline. We've got Guy in green Gl gear at the funeral, we've got Tim still going out as Robin despite his dad knowing about it, and Ma and Pa Kent were OLD SCHOOL, old people.

It's like some sort of quasi-universe.

Guest JMA

Ugh. I'm disgusted by this. Whoever thought of this idea should be fired. NOW.

Guest SP-1

I wish I had the money to just BUY the movie rights to these characters from WB or something. The writer in me weeps openly at what's being done to them. I hope this movie bombs.

Guest JMA

Someone should really start up a petition or organize a letter sending campaign. This idea is pure crap and the WB needs to realize that.

Guest SP-1

I'm just waiting for the GL board over at comicboards.com to hear about this. Maybe they'll stop squabbling over Kyle and Hal and pull together a la the Spider-Girl fans to write some letters.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

Comic book fans must have herpes or something. If your so into the story of green lantern, go read the comics again, and let everyone who wants to see a satirical comic book movie enjoy it.

It's like you guys fear the comics books will begin to fade away or implode once this movie comes out. The story is still there, your memory of it is still there, if your so offended by the thought of a comedy with your favorite superhero, don't go see it. That's how you send a message.

The worst thing about online petitions is I can't wipe my ass with them.