TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

This Week in Baseball

Another Yankees-Red Sox series this weekend, so I guess bumping the Sox-Yanks thread is in order.

My brother actually had tickets for Friday's game, but Boston will be in Convention Mode by that time and all the road closings and super security will be in effect, so it just isn't worth the hassle (especially since my brother still isn't quite ready to use the T again, due to his health problems).

Well, it's hard to get a good idea of how this Red Sox v. Yankees thread will end up, as they were maddingly inconsistant in Anaheim this weekend.

All I've figured out is:

Derek Lowe can't pitch to save his life anymore.

Pedro is capable of going from Cy Young to Derek Lowe in one start.

Wakefield only pitches well against the Yankees it seems.

Schilling is the best pitcher on the team.

The offense either gets 10 runs or it gets 2 runs. There needs to be some middle ground somewhere. They need more consistancy, especially in an emotional series like the Yankees will be.

Lots of 2 game series this week with tons of midweek day games. Phils and Braves play the next 2 nights tied for 1st. Can the Dodgers continue their incredible stretch?

Guest FrigidSoul

I believe Schilling and Pedro are the only two teamates in the majors to have 10 wins or more. I've gained my trust back in Pedro...only thing is we as Red Sox fans were spoiled by him in 1999 and 2000 because he was just literally unhittable. He's become more human now and one bad start means the end of the world. I still think in this day and age though you need 2 aces and a really good #3.

Phillies have to deal with both the Braves and Mets for most of the week. They have a chance to really pull ahead of the pack if they can sweep both series.

I think we see Montreal deal Tony Batista at the very least this week.

Who in their right mind would trade for Batista? He's been arguably the worst hitter in baseball this year.

Guest FrigidSoul

a team desperate for an upgrade at 3B which costs next to nothing. Crazy Carl has been injured and hitting poorly yet he was traded for because of past accomplishments. I bet Batista will go for an A ball player and cash considerations.

Mets trade Karim Garcia to the Orioles for Mike DeJean. Well, I see it as a wash, both have underperformed this year (especially DeJean). Hopefully the Mets don't put DeJean in the mix and leave their young relievers (Moreno especially) on the big league ball club.

Guest FrigidSoul

DeJean is an expensive replacement for David Weathers...and really not as good. However, he may fare better in the NL East against the Montreal Expos, Offensively Challenged Marlins, and at times Team slumping Braves than he did against the Yankees, Red Sox, and Devil Rays.

DeJean this year:

0-5, 6.13 ERA, 1.94 WHIP, 39.2 IP, 49 H, 28 BB, .308 BAA.

No way this guy should see significant time in the pen. Although maybe returning to the NL will see him perform better.

a team desperate for an upgrade at 3B which costs next to nothing.

He's been the worst regular 3rd baseman in baseball so there is no one he could replace that he'd be better than. He's barely an adequate back-up at this point.

Guest FrigidSoul

We both know a desperate GM will add him though and say the team got "A former 30+ home run hitting 3rd baseman who has just been plagued with being in a bad line-up". It happens every year. If Houston doesn't start trading players away I could see them picking him up because Ensberg is doing nothing.

Main point is we know that each year a GM panics and grabs a shitty player.

Guest FrigidSoul
Surgery would end Gonzalez's season

The Arizona Diamondbacks have confirmed that left fielder Luis Gonzalez has been discussing the possibility of undergoing season-ending "Tommy John" surgery on his ailing right elbow.

During Sunday's broadcast of the Dodgers-Diamondbacks, ESPN's Sam Ryan reported that Gonzalez will need surgery and that the procedure would take place after the team's upcoming road trip ends on Aug. 1. The surgery would likely sideline Gonzalez for months.

"I still have to talk with Al [Pedrique, manager] and Joe [Garagiola Jr., general manager]," Gonzalez told reporters after the game. "Probably later this week, we'll address that issue.

"My situation is that I want to pinpoint [the] time when I want to do it."

In early July, Gonzalez said he was considering the surgery since the Diamondbacks' chances of making the playoffs this season are remote. He believes surgery now will lead to his recovering faster for the 2005 season.

Gonzalez, who turns 37 in September, is in the middle of a three-year, $30 million contract extension he signed with Arizona in March 2003. He is batting .264 this year with 15 home runs and 43 RBI.

Its been a bad year to be a D-Backs fan. I don't think we have any on this board though

True enough. Joe Crede hasn't exactly been tearing it up for the White Sox this year so maybe Kenny Williams could be interested in Batista. He's never been the sharpest knife in the GM drawer. Maybe the Padres also could be interested with Sean Burroughs complete lack of power at 3rd.

We both know a desperate GM will add him though and say the team got "A former 30+ home run hitting 3rd baseman who has just been plagued with being in a bad line-up". It happens every year. If Houston doesn't start trading players away I could see them picking him up because Ensberg is doing nothing.

Main point is we know that each year a GM panics and grabs a shitty player.

That is one of the unstated effects of Moneyball. Teams are more wary of players like Tony Batista, and more aware of the effects of a dismal OBP.

Bored brought up Joe Crede. Crede and Batista are an interesting comparsion. Their basic stats are very similar. Both are batting .233, with twelve home runs. Batista leads in RBIs, 47 to 40. Beyond that however, Crede has more walks and doubles, giving him more OBP and slugging percentage.

The only real benefit Batista could provide is the ability to play shortstop along with third base. That would make him useful in Houston, where he could backup Adam Everett and Morgan Ensberg, and take aim at the right field wall. However, I would not trade anything valuable for him.

Guest FrigidSoul

I don't recall Batista ever playing SS. I'll end up going to check this out now out of curiousity, but I believe he did play a bit of first base. With Bagwell's shoulder, Ensberg being ineffective, and if he can play SS to back up Everett it would be a fairly good pick-up so long as they didn't give up anything good for him. Like I said, low level prospect and like $150k should be more than enough to nab him from the Expos.

Batista has never played a game at first base. With his low OBP, he'd be an unacceptable first baseman at any price. He played 61 games at short in '97, 34 in '98, 141 in '99, and 20 in 2001. Career-wise, his Range Factors and Fielding percentage at short are above-average.

I find it interesting that his most comparable player at 29 is Howard Johnson.

Guest FrigidSoul

With the trade deadline soon approaching I thought that this was a good read. For those that don't wish to click the link and look at a photo of Gammons face 50 times, well here ya go.

Moderator: Hey everybody, Peter will be joining us at 2:30 ET today. Send in those questions. See you in a few minutes!

Peter Gammons: Let's get going!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marty (Cambridge, MA): I just read your column on Randy Johnson and agree that his going to the Yankees would be atrocious for baseball. With the Yankees spending this year (not to mention the Sox and Angels throwing money around to catch them), do you think baseball will ever wise up and institute a salary cap to prevent the ML all star teams from playing together all year in pinstripes? Also, why is Colangelo so focused on trading RJ?

Peter Gammons: First, I dont think there will ever be a salary cap in baseball without at least a one year strike. Second, Colangelo wants to keep Johnson, Randy is the one who expressed interest in being traded SPECIFICALLY to the Yankees or Cardinals. If the Yankees had players to trade, it wouldn't seem so agregious -- but they do not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiffany (Bangor, Maine): Peter, Randy Johnson's agent is now reporting that he will likely stay put, also saying that there was never any "list" of teams that Randy wanted to go to. Where do media hounds get your (mis)information?

Peter Gammons: There never was a list of five teams. The D'Backs called more teams than that to get a working list of who might be interested. What Randy's agent told teams was that he wanted to go to a team he KNEW would make the playoffs if he were traded. The Yankees and the Cardinals fufilled those qualifications. He has not ruled out the Angels, but the Red Sox have received indications that he would not be interested in moving to Boston.

Mike Phoenix: Peter, is the impending "Unit" status keeping the BoSox from making any other potential moves until they find out where he is going? (i.e keeping him away from N.Y.) Are they looking at any other possible moves?

Peter Gammons: They've been exploring a lot of situations, they have monitored Carlos Beltran in case the Astros decide to dump on August 31. They are looking at several middle relievers and swing-men as they have so little pep between their five man rotation and their bullpen.

Kevin O'Donnell, Danvers MA: Peter, What do you make of the Manny Ramirez-Terry Francona situation in Boston? Manny's apparantly ok to DH, yet Francona has opted to sit him until he's able to play in left field. Is this a message Francona's trying to send?

Peter Gammons: I think it is, Kevin. But remember, when Manny hurt his hamstring his last year in Cleveland -- he missed 49 games (!) and took a lot of heat. ... Joe Torre asked about Manny's status for the All-Star game and was told he was fine to play. There are certainly missing pieces here that none of us entirely know or understand.

Jonathan (NYC: If the Yankees can't pry Randy Johnson from the D-Backs, do you think the next best deal might be obtaining a Moyer-Guardardo package from the Mariners as that would fill two needs? Guardardo might be more valuable to the Yankees than the Big Unit as they then would have an even better bullpen than in 1996.

Peter Gammons: It would help, but as of this weekend, the Mariners have told other teams that they are NOT interested in trading Jamie Moyer. Taht could change on July 31, but for now, he's NOT on the market.

Gary: Memphis, Tn.: is it too soon to compare the 04 Cards to the 75 Big Red Machine?

Peter Gammons: Probably. The Hall of Fame ballots haven't been counted for Pujols, Rolen, Renteria or Edmonds. But seriously, the Cardinals have by far the best position players in the National League.

Jason (NY): How is Prior going to be handled here on out? I assume with kid gloves, though Dusty Baker seems to prefer Brillo gloves. Any thoughts?

Peter Gammons: He threw on the side yesterday and how he feels today will determine whether or not he makes his next start. The Cubs INSIST this is not serious. It has, however, lingered, so it will take some time to prove that Prior is in fact healthy.

Notter Philly: Good Afternoon Peter, I heard a rumor around town today about a possible trade involving Nomar and D Lowe to the Phillies for Millwood and Rollins. Any truth, and if not what do you think may happen on the phillies front.

Peter Gammons: I would say there is very little chance of THAT happening. The Sox have no interest in Millwood, he was offered for Lowe a month ago. The Phillies probably will end up with at least one relief pitcher.

Matt--Kent Ohio: the Indians are still hovering around .500 still and they are deciding in the next few weeks what moves(if any) they can make to catch the Sox and Twins. You think they have what it takes to make a run, and if so, what should they go out looking for before the trading deadline?

Peter Gammons: The most important thing is to have Bob Wickman, then they need David Risky to be consistent. From that point, they need to go out and find themselves a good left handed reliever and maybe another set-up man. They will bring up Grady Sizemore very soon. ... Considering the direction they are headed, they will not trade away young players this season.

Coleman (Braintree): How long do you think they'll suspend David Ortiz?

Peter Gammons: My guess is five games and have the suspension reduced to three. They should suspend that umpiring crew for two months after watching three games of incompetence.

Peter Gammons: Mike Sociacia should demand that the entire crew be optioned to Triple A for his ejection.

Sandy (Tulsa): It is so frustrating watching Josh Beckett, Peter. Do you have any good news on his injury situation. My Fish need him! (oh, and a set up man!)

Peter Gammons: I agree, actually, they need TWO set-up men. There is no way of predicting whether or not Josh's finger will get healthy. We root for him, but this is something that has lingered for years without any lasting answer.

Sean: Humboldt, CA.: What moves will the Giants make to bolster their pitching staff and bench? Also, what is going on with Rick Ankiel?

Peter Gammons: The Giants are trying to make a couple of deals to strengthen their bullpen and find a bat. Thus far, they have had NO success BUT, Brian Sabean will come up with at least two trades by the end of the month.

Pete (Sussex, WI): I heard the A's are shopping Zito and looking for a 2nd baseman. Any chance of a Spivey (Brewers) and Kolb for Zito trade?

Peter Gammons: No chance in that trade. The As dabbled in the market on Zito, but are going to keep him for the rest of the season.

Jason (White Plains, NY): Why haven't any teams taken a flier on John Olerud yet?

Peter Gammons: I think given another week, someone will look at him as a great defensive first baseman and a pinch hitter ... but I don't think he is going to get a guaranteed-everyday-job.

Chuck Tempe: Anything new regarding Steve Finley?

Peter Gammons: Nope. The Padres and Rangers would like to get him, but thus far, the D'Backs haven't had the right offer. They want to make sure that he can come back to Arizona next season.

Roger (Houston, TX): What are my Astros gonna do? If they are still 10+ out at the deadline they HAVE to deal Beltran right? Probably ship Kent too (god willing)?

Peter Gammons: I think they will trade Beltran. They have to get a young catcher back in the deal. Keep your eye on Boston b/c of Kelly Shoppach who went to McClean's alma mater -- that is, Baylor. He has to OK any trade ... and I wouldn't hold my breath.

david (tallahassee, fl): are the Mets still shopping Ty Wiggington for pitching, or has that cooled off? are you getting pearl jam's new release next week?

Peter Gammons: I will get Pearl Jam's new realease this week, as for Ty, they would like to NOT trade him. He can play first, second, third and BOTH corner outfield positions. IF that's the ONLY way they can get Kris Benson, they might HAVE to do it, but right now they are trying to get him with other trade prospects.

I just saw on ESPN that the Mets traded Karim Garcia to the O's for Mike DeJean. And the Orioles will be at Fenway Wednesday. Keep him out of the bullpens.

Guest Anglesault

Alex Graman is pitching tonight for the Yanks. In an effort to be the mindlessly positive drone that everyone wants, I will say that the Yankees have won inspite of Graman before, and they certainly can again.

So since these are the last two regular season meetings between the Cards-Cubs i predict in the next two games we'll get another LaRussa-Baker incident, they usually average two to three every season, and I think they've only had one so far.

I was going to start a thread about the electric Pirates-Expos series tonight, but decided against it. Man those games are going to be electric, 8,000 people going wild. Think we'll see a showdown between Craig Wilson and Livian Hernandez. God I hope so. I'm peeing my pants in anticipation.

I was going to start a thread about the electric Pirates-Expos series tonight, but decided against it. Man those games are going to be electric, 8,000 people going wild. Think we'll see a showdown between Craig Wilson and Livian Hernandez. God I hope so. I'm peeing my pants in anticipation.

I've gone through 2 pairs of pants already.

Guest FrigidSoul

Trade between the Padres and Mariners

Padres get Rich Aurillia

Mariners get APTBNL or Cash Considerations

Rich Aurillia will be helping Khalil Green out and basically be a utility infielder for the Pads.

Guest FrigidSoul

people shouldn't dismiss the Devil Rays as an over glorified Triple A team anymore. They are legit good and in a couple years if they get themselves some pitching they'll be set. Their farm system is STOCKED with good, young position players

Lasting one-third of an inning against the Devil Rays has to be pretty embarrassing. It is nice to see the Rays putting up more of a fight against the Yanks this time though. I have their starting pitched on my fantasy team, so I can only hope he doesn't blow a five run lead.

Guest Anglesault
people shouldn't dismiss the Devil Rays as an over glorified Triple A team anymore. They are legit good

"Good" might be pushing it.

They're better.