TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
godthedog

top 5 favorite anything

In no real order...

-Goodfellas

-Rounders

-Good Will Hunting

-Lord of the Rings trilogy (I consider this one movie, its just one big continuous story as opposed to say... Rocky, or Star Wars where you have story missing between the movies)

-Fiddler on the Roof

As far as Godfather goes, what I remember, I loved... but I tried to pull one of those "WATCH ALL 3 BACK TO BACK TO BACK" things with some friends, and ended up not remembering any of them very well.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Full Metal Jacket

Time Bandits

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Outside Providence

Monty Python's The Life of Brian.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Dawn of the Dead

A Clockwork Orange

Star Wars Trilogy

LOTR Trilogy

Bully

At the moment:

1.Sweethearts (REALLY good film, where Janeane Garofalo proves she really can act. Bit of a dark ending too)

2.Dogma

3.Turner and Hooch (always up there)

4.Mountain Of The Cannibal God (Stacy Keach+naked Ursula Andress+midget cannibal castration=good film)

5.St Elmo's Fire

The Howard Hawks edition:

1. Rio Bravo

2. To Have and Have Not

3. His Girl Friday

4. The Big Sleep

5. Bringing Up Baby

I could keep going with random top fives all night, but I'll try and restrain myself.

1. Pierrot le fou

2. Dr Strangelove

3. Celine and Julie Go Boating

4. Blue Velvet

5. Sherlock Jr

The first three are pretty much fixed, but the rest vary frequently.

when did celine and julie knock out aguirre?

great performances by european actresses edition:

1. 'scenes from a marriage', liv ullmann

2. 'jules & jim', jeanne moreau

3. 'vivre sa vie', anna karina

4. 'persona', liv ullmann

5. 'amelie', audrey tautou

Pretty much since I first saw Celine and Julie. Aguirre is now a floater that always makes my top ten but places anywhere between 4 and 10.

Anyway, back to the topic, the Ingmar Bergman edition:

1. Persona

2. Wild Strawberries

3. Winter Light

4. The Silence

5. Cries and Whispers

i've never heard of it. i'm going to return some stuff to the video store tonight, i may try to look for it.

the 1965 edition:

1. jules & jim

2. la jetee

3. the manchurian candidate

4. the man who shot liberty valence

5. vivre sa vie

It's a late new wave (or post new wave, depending on perspective) movie by Jacques Rivette and it's one of the few viewing experiences I've had when after having watched the film it felt like I'd never seen anything like it before and it instantly turned me into a rabid Jacques Rivette fanboy. It's incredibly layered and stimulating on an intellectual level, yet it's also surprisingly funny (in many ways the film is actually a comedy). I can't recommend it enough (though some may find the rather ample running time off-putting).

The gorgeous cinematography edition:

1. Sunrise

2. The Last Tango in Paris

3. Once Upon a Time in the West

4. Heart of Glass

5. Contempt

the great cinematography/crappy story edition:

1. 'apocalypse now'

2. 'sunrise'

3. 'julien donkey-boy'

4. 'last year at marienbad'

5. 'the hidden fortress'

Here's a query to inject some discussion back into this thread (which gtd has done a great job of carrying):

What is your "wild card" movie? You know, the one that you tend to forget about sometimes but whenever you watch it you think "This could easily be one of my favorites".

the non-musicals with musical numbers in them edition:

1. 'magnolia' - "wise up", which needs no explanation.

2. 'pierrot le fou' - no idea what the song would be called, and the song doesn't matter anyway, as it's just belmondo running around making an ass of himself.

3. 'jules & jim' - don't know the name of this song either, but it's set up perfectly with all catherine's suitors there and it sums up everything about the movie in just the right way without being too obvious about it.

4. 'almost famous' - "tiny dancer", moment that comes out of nowhere and just turns into pure joy.

5. 'vivre sa vie' - karina's impromptu dance number that feels really really honest, and comes off exactly as an extremely sad girl with a horrible life trying to forget about everything and cheer herself up for 2 minutes.

i'll have to think about that wild card pick.

I fucking love the Tiny Dancer moment. I just break into one big-ass grin when I see that scene. I'm smiling right now just thinking of it.

My wild card pick(s)

Spirited Away- This pretty accurately describes what I said regarding the wild card pick. I don't really bother mentioning it to people, as most are fairly close-minded when it comes to anime and don't believe that it could be considered a favorite. This movie is as close to perfect as an animated movie could and will ever get, IMO. The animation is lush and vibrant and wholly original. The characters have a depth to them that Disney only wishes it could create and the story carries a very mature vibe and subtext to it that I love. After I finished watching the movie, I returned it to my store and promptly purchased it. It was and will be one of the most amazing moviewatching expiriences of my life and I've seen nothing since to shake that belief.

The Sweet Hereafter- I don't usually throw the term "flawless" around much regarding films, but if I ever do use it, chances are I'm describing this film. Lots of people hate this flick and I totally can see why. It's bleak, dreary and depressing as fuck. I don't watch it with any kind of frequency, as it's not the type of movie you can just randomly put on in the spur of the moment. You need to be prepared for this movie because it seeks out the area of your heart that feels grief, latches on and does not let go. The performances are subtley great, as is the directing, which landed Atom Egoyan a best director nomination in 96 IIRC. If you've ever lost somebody under circumstances you can't control you'll probably identify with this film and it's characters. I did and that's probably why I love it so much.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

No Order

Godfather

Fletch

Almost Famous

Pulp Fiction

Royal tenenbaums

WildCard Pick: Shadow Of The Vampire. AWESOME performance by Willem DeFoe, helped in part by some incredible make-up, as a vampire who is cast in the movie Nosferatu as the vampire, with all his co-stars believing he's a really good method actor. Really intelligent black comedy which is much better than I've just made it sound.

No Order:

-Goodfellas

-Escape From New York

-Chasing Amy

-Rocky

-Pulp Fiction

Vanilla Sky would be the next on the list.

great final lines edition:

1. 'night and fog'

2. 'kwaidan'

3. 'confessions of a dangerous mind'

4. 'happiness'

5. 'jules and jim'

***************************SPOILERS*************************

1. "There are those who look at these ruins as though the monster were dead and buried beneath them. Those who take hope as the image fades, as though there were a cure for the scourge of these camps. Those who pretend this happened only once, in a certain time in a certain place. Those who refuse to look around them, deaf to the endless cry."

2. "I can imagine several possible endings. But none of them would satisfy your imagination. I prefer to let you attempt to decide for yourself the probable consequence of swallowing a soul. The man who swallowed a soul...[trails off]"

3. "I came up with a new game-show idea recently. It's called The Old Game. You got three old guys with loaded guns onstage. They look back at their lives, see who they were, what they accomplished, how close they came to realizing their dreams. The winner is the one who doesn't blow his brains out. He gets a refrigerator."

4. "I came!"

5. "Catherine wanted her ashes to be thrown to the wind, but it was not permitted."

2. 'kwaidan'

Someone else who's seen this, boom. I frickin' love this movie. It's embarrassing how bad any other film of horror stories is compared to this beast of coolness.

1. Cool Hand Luke

2. Lord of the Rings (all of them)

3. Dawn of the Dead

4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

5. Memento

Granted, these can change at any time...but I can always see these in my top 10.

Guest evenflowDDT
the great cinematography/crappy story edition:

1. 'apocalypse now'

2. 'sunrise'

3. 'julien donkey-boy'

4. 'last year at marienbad'

5. 'the hidden fortress'

To be fair, Julien Donkeyboy is more a series of events meant to display/reinforce character traits than a tight narrative. And it's certainly better than anything else involved with Korine.

Someone else who's seen this, boom. I frickin' love this movie. It's embarrassing how bad any other film of horror stories is compared to this beast of coolness.

'kwaidan' has a REALLY good ethos & style that ties it all together. the pace and atmosphere are uniform throughout, the characters & conflicts are always simple and mythic, and they all do something to reinforce this really unsettling idea that we're just insects at the mercy of gods who don't answer to any higher law. it feels more like an anthology of dreams than horror stories to me (with the BRIGHT colors and the painted sets and what not).

To be fair, Julien Donkeyboy is more a series of events meant to display/reinforce character traits than a tight narrative. And it's certainly better than anything else involved with Korine.

this is true. "great photography/crappy content" would've been a better title, cause character/conflict-wise, boy did that movie ever suck. i thought 'gummo' was a much better movie. it horrified me, but at least it wasn't boring.

Guest evenflowDDT

this is true. "great photography/crappy content" would've been a better title, cause character/conflict-wise, boy did that movie ever suck. i thought 'gummo' was a much better movie. it horrified me, but at least it wasn't boring.

I really wasn't impressed/disturbed with Gummo (OMG SPOLIERZ~! with the exception of the guy pimping his retarded sister); it's a new-age mondo film, replacing "primitive savages" with "poor white trash". I can respect the effect it has on most people (beyond your own experiences, it was also introduced to me as "isn't this the most disturbing thing you've ever seen?"), but it just doesn't do it for me, although because of that effect I would be willing to give it another shot.

While I'll admit Julien Donkeyboy initially doesn't seem worth piecing together, I still find the characters (unbelievable as they may be) very intriguing, particularly in their embodiment of the "sick family" horror archetype wherein their disturbing relations and actions towards each other go totally unnoticed by the surrounding community (e.g. the church service, where the "joyous hymns" the family joins in are cynically subverted by the audience's knowledge of the family's "sinful" engagements). Yet, despite participating in actions of incest, abuse, and eating disorder (amongst others), the so-called "sick family" is united through innocent love and devotion (with the exception of Herzog's character, whose obsessions leave him a bit more complex).

That being said, Korine's continued use of "freak show" supporting characters (the albino rapper, the armless midget, the ice skating blind girl) frustratingly makes an already threadbare narrative even more scattershot. In Gummo, which is a freak show, such would be a perfect fit, but it really does a number on Julien.

But then, it's always difficult to argue "boring" because it's so subjective (and I always find it a bit ironic for me to argue matters of taste/personal interest because mine are so inconsistent even within my own niches, let alone popular/majority interests). I mean, I was bored the first few times I saw Apocalypse Now (fell asleep the first two times ;)), and it wasn't until recent screenings/discussions/readings in film courses that I'm able to really appreciate it on any level. But given its top spot on your list, we might be in the same boat on that one.

Guest Smark-Raving Mad

1)Rushmore

2)Ronin

3)The Shawshank Redemption

4)Saving Private Ryan

5)Tremors