TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DerangedHermit

The OAO Raw Thread - 7/26/04 - 60 Minute Iron Man

Guest Quik

A fucking retard saved Chris Benoit. Why couldn't it have ended in a tie... go into sudden death where Benoit picks up the clean win? Why? Why God Why?

This whole show sucked and Benoit is a weak champion b/c he needs a retard to help him in his matches.

Going with that logic, Triple H looks even weaker needing the help of both Flair and Batista.

And anyways, nothing wrong with that when basically you're fucking dead...after an hour. And he isn't exactly the smallest retard in the world. ;)

When did Austin ever had a retard or anyone for that matter help him out in any of his main event matches?

Uuh.. WMX7?

When did Austin ever tap twice in 1 match?

When did Austin ever had a retard or anyone for that matter help him out in any of his main event matches?

*Directs you to Wrestlemania X7.

I mean..he needed the help of Vince McMahon...while Vince is no retard, he's fucking VINCE MCMAHON! But that didn't really detract from his win.

Why can't we have a long match with no interference whatsoever where the winner wins by their own deeds. This isn't because it's Benoit winning via Eugene nailing HHH with a chair, it's because the moment that Evolution came out, the match lost anything special it had going for it.

HHH's drool didn't help.

Well I must say I was dissapointed when RAW started with the 10 diva finalists were shown dancing. Then even more dissapointed to hear Edge's music after the RAW opening. However even after all those commercial breaks it all made up when Jericho eliminated Edge and Randy Orton won. I kept thinking it was going to end up in a tie. Then we get stuck with the lame attempt for the divas to seduce a former superstar and then go thru the voting numbers only before a brief spot at the Democratic convention. WWE duped us the first hour, but I felt it was worth it for the second hour. The match was excellent. I started getting annoyed when HHH won two in a row but knew after Evolution Benoit was going to win. Decent Iron Man match. Ending was better than I expected. But I would have liked Triple H to kick out and it to head to sudden death, which Im sure a lot of people feel the same way.

Guest JMA
Why can't we have a long match with no interference whatsoever where the winner wins by their own deeds. This isn't because it's Benoit winning via Eugene nailing HHH with a chair, it's because the moment that Evolution came out, the match lost anything special it had going for it.

I would assume WWE thinks the fans of today don't have the attention span for something like that. I disagree with this, but I do believe that's what they think.

Anyway, I'm just glad Benoit is still the World Heavyweight Champion.

Guest BurnToShine

HHH's drool didn't help.

Like the Bad Blood HITC match between HHH and Michaels?

Not that I liked it, but it fits your criteria.

Uuh.. WMX7?

When did Austin ever tap twice in 1 match?

He tapped to a Crossface/Walls of Jericho combo once in June 2001, so he kinda tapped to both holds.

..doesn't really count, though.

I'm watching Raw right now, I recorded it with my DVR.

How many * does the HHH/Benoit get?

And I'm watching the Battle Royal now and Maven looks bigger.

Mole once the Battle Royal is done just skip right to the Iron Man match because there's nothing else of worth on the show.

The Iron Man match was okay. It dragged in a lot of parts, but it's worth watching.

I missed pretty much the first half of RAW while playing 2K5, but it sounds like I didn't miss much (I am a mark for battle royales, though)

As for the Ironman, they really didn't get it going until the second half of the match, which I guess is kind of expected in these things. This one flowed a bit better than Angle-Lesnar, but the beginning had me turning to the Sox game a few times. I applaud Benoit for going balls out here, even breaking out a tope, nearly breaking his neck on the barrier. I could have lived without the two ref bumps, though.

For those complaing that "a retard saved Benoit", he DID make HHH tap cleanly TWICE, while HHH used the steps a chair, and Evolution to get falls. That's how it goes; faces get clean wins, heels cheat. The ending was pretty predictable, but Eugene delivered a primo chairshot (which didn't lead to a HHH blading, which is kind of out of character for him), so it wasn't that bad.

Decent match, I'd put it just slightly above Lesnar-Angle.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

It'd put it at ****. Great story being told, fantastic comebacks by Benoit, and some surprising moves busted out by HHH to work the sternum. The Reverse Vertical Suplex throw was tight.

I liked that also. I also liked the nod to the finish of the XX match when Benoit got the first fall of the match (HHH trying to roll out of the Crossface, but Benoit getting a crucifix for the pin). JR and Lawler were actually tolerable as well.

HHH's drool didn't help.

Like the Bad Blood HITC match between HHH and Michaels?

Not that I liked it, but it fits your criteria.

Who interfered in that.

Bland booking. Saw it all before. Generic face gets ahead, then Triple H dominates for a long time, then generic face makes a comeback, then a bunch of people who have no business in the match come down and ruin it, bad as it was already. It wasn't a really bad match, it was just a 20 minute match expanded to 60, like the HITC was a 20 minute match expanded to 45. There's a reason the crowd was sitting on their hads for fifty minutes. Throw in the fact that Orton won the battle royal (so most of us knew Benoit was retaining), and there really was no reason to have the match on free TV. Should have been on PPV, with some hype, and withOUT Eugene.

Hate to say it, but both guys just wasted their energy and time out there. Physically, anyway. Well, maybe not Triple H. He's used to spending an hour of Raw's TV time every week :rimshot:

"That's an old joke."

Mole once the Battle Royal is done just skip right to the Iron Man match because there's nothing else of worth on the show.

The Iron Man match was okay. It dragged in a lot of parts, but it's worth watching.

Yeah, thanks for the tip because as I was fast fwding, I saw Kamala and Diva Search.

I was a little scared.

Guest GreatOne

No problems here whatsoever with Benoit "needing a retard" to win his matches cause for one, he didn't NEED Eugene to win and as pointed out earlier HHH had Flair and Batista in for him after he tapped out twice in five minutes. it's like the night Dyno-Benja-MITE went over HHH and Benoit supposedly "interfered" yet was only there to counter Flair.

I mean yeah we're all looking for a straight finish on these things--which I can see the logic of keeping on the PPVs--but hell everybody still marked out for Foley winning the world title despite a DX/Corporation brawl and Austin nailing Rock.

Plus Benoit becomes the first man to actually keep his title in an ironman match. So HHH might be "the star" but hell, I'll bet if you went back and watched 88 NWA using current smark logic, Lex Luger was the star since he could obviously mow through Flair but he didn't quite win that belt did he? (leave the supposed politics out of it--I'm not sure that I disagree with Flair playing politics even IF so, we're talking fucking Lex Luger here--just use both sides of kayfabe here)

My fucking roommate wanted to watch Carter and Clinton piss and moan, god I'm glad I convinced him to let go of the remote :D

I found the ironman to be good(finish was a bit much though and made it seem like a normal match afterwards). The big problem for me was the "spoilers". Okay, sure Orton won the battle royal and kind of telegraphed things for those in the know, but maybe they should have put that on in the over-run instead. How many people here would complain about Eugene helping Benoit if they did not know about the spoilers? Maybe more people would just be in shock Benoit actually retained. I'm sure I would have if I didn't know about the rumours. I may have been leaning more towards Triple H/Orton somehow instead of Benoit retaining.

Benoit gets two wins over HHH and people still are bitching. Can't say I'm surprised.

Benoit gets two wins over HHH and people still are bitching. Can't say I'm surprised.

Shut up. He got murdered by Evolution for minutes until a retard showed up, kicked all their asses, and knocked HHH out so Benoit could win. It's not like Benoit got put over clean or anything. It's not like he was treated like a big deal.

But no, he won. OMG SMARKS SUCK.

Guest JRE

I never thought I could see Eugene as a legitimate contender until tonight. He gave off the Mankind-vibe...sure, he's ridiculous- but he's a fucking badass.

Shut up. He got murdered by Evolution for minutes until a retard showed up, kicked all their asses, and knocked HHH out so Benoit could win. It's not like Benoit got put over clean or anything. It's not like he was treated like a big deal.

But no, he won. OMG SMARKS SUCK.

So Benoit should just squash everyone he faces?

Benoit's had a nice title reign in which he's beaten HHH twice (and made him tap out at Wrestlemania another time) and has been booked to look very well.

But people are still bitching. New talent is being pushed and people are still bitching about that too. Can't say I'm surprised.

Guest Black Lightning

Well, I quite liked the first 54 minutes, or so, of the ironman match. Very smartly worked and, as far as free TV matches go, there really wasn't much to complain about. I especially liked how there were a bunch of little mini-plots going throughout that all fit together into one big arc. And it was very well structured for TV, as the match still had a good flow despite the commercials, and never really felt choppy like Brock-Angle did. I could even handle Batista and Flair being out there, since they didn't distract too much, except for the ring-post spot.

Then Eugene came down and suckified it. <_<

Other than the ending, though, very good match. I enjoyed it very much. Not sure what some of you are bitching about...

Guest GreatOne
So Benoit should just squash everyone he faces?

Yeah he should be booked like Goldberg in WCW--completely no-sell anyone's offense, do his two moves, and as Eric Bischoff would say be back in the locker room seven minutes later :D

And god knows that he should go over all four members of Evolution every time when they're doing a 3/4 on 1 beatdown regardless of how unrealistic it'd look and anti-climactic it'd make everything because he's SMARKS SUPER FAV CHRIS BENOIT DAMMIT!!! :D

Are these the same people that were bitching about Austin, Rock, and HHH not looking vulnerable enough as champs? Christ, Benoit's been punked maybe TWICE in a one-on-one situation in like seven months and he's a chump all the sudden, yeah....................

"Benoit can't beat HHH without a retard", well in case you haven't noticed:

-HHH can't beat Benoit WITH that same retard

-HHH can't beat Benoit even WITH Evolution doing the job.

So who's the chump here?

Guest Quik

My biggest qualm with the match wasn't the interference at the end, I just thought it sucked except for a few spots. It was slow, tedious, and boring. Granted, I don't expect an iron man match to have two guys flying around like cruiserweights, but I thought it dragged for the most part. Slow, slow, spot, slow slow, slow, fall, slow, slow, slow, spot, repeat.

I think the Iron Man should be shortened to 45 minutes. There's just too much time to waste, and I mean that. A match can go to an hour, especially if it has the near fall drama, with the crowd getting into it because these two guys just wonm't lay down for each other. Sort of like a scoreless hockey game, the hits and close plays get the crowd into it, and added with the sheer drama of the fact that no one can seem to get the better of the other would make it intense and interesting. Same with an hour long wrestling match... the fact that two guys are going back and forth, have a couple of highspots, and just can't be figured out by the other would make it interesting to watch. But when you know you have an hour to watch, where the wrestlers are essentially wrestling against a clock makes it boring, near falls less meaningful, and anything that isn't a spot just kind of bland.