TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
syxx2001

So whos gay?

Click2Houston.com

'Simpsons' Character To Come Out Of Closet

POSTED: 10:17 AM EDT July 27, 2004

SAN DIEGO -- A long time character on "The Simpsons" is about to come out of the closet.

But the show's producers aren't saying who. The betting seems to favor Waylon Smithers, who for years has harbored a secret crush on Mr. Burns.

Producer Al Jean said it happens during an episode where Springfield legalizes gay marriage.

Meantime, celebrity guest-stars slated to appear on the show next season include Ray Romano, James Caan, Kim Cattrall and 50 Cent.

Movie Still On Horizon

Simpsons creator Matt Groening said he still plans to make a feature-film version of his TV show, but he said he probably won't start work on it until the TV series comes to an end.

And with the series heading into its 16th season and still going strong, it could be a while.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14595,00.html

"Simpsons": A Gay Old Time

by Josh Grossberg

Jul 27, 2004, 10:15 AM PT

A Simpsons toon is coming out of the closet. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Speaking during a weekend panel at San Diego's Comic-Con convention, show producers dropped a bomb: An upcoming Simpsons story line will focus on what happens when Springfield legalizes gay marriage.

"We have a show where, to raise money, Springfield legalizes gay marriage," producer Al Jean told comic book fans. "Homer becomes a minister by going on the Internet and filling out a form. A longtime character comes out of the closet, but I'm not saying who."

And with that, Simpsons aficionados got their gaydar on and began winnowing down the list of potential suspects.

The early favorite appears to be billionaire Monty Burns' ever-devoted sidekick, Waylon Smithers, who--aside from being a yes-man--has been known to collect Malibu Stacy dolls, lives in the gay part of town (where Homer once shacked up with two gay guys), has a Mr. Burns screensaver and dreams of a naked Mr. Burns jumping out of a birthday cake.

But that might be too easy. According to online fan scuttlebutt, there are other characters who might be secretly having a gay old time in Springfield, including Homer's regular-guy cohorts at the nuclear plant, Carl and Lenny, as well as Moe the bartender, the Reverend Lovejoy, Principal Skinner and Comic Book Guy. Of course, the producers didn't rule out a lesbian wedding, either.

"It's Homer!" said a joking Simpsons creator Matt Groening to conventiongoers.

The gay marriage-themed episode is scheduled to air in January.

While the coming-out comments generated the most interest, the show's brain trust also outlined some other upcoming plots. For instance, Springfield residents will also have a cow over corrupt Mayor Quimby and seek to recall him from office--a riff on California recall election in which Arnold Schwarzenegger defeated then Governor Gray Davis. No word whether The Simpsons' Ah-nuld look-alike, Rainier Wolfcastle, will be leading the effort to replace Quimby.

Meanwhile, celebs expected to lend their voices to the show next season include Kim Cattrall, Ray Romano, James Caan and rapper 50 Cent.

Groening also addressed the long-talked about Simpsons animated movie. He said that plans are still underway, but work on a big screen version won't begin until the tube series takes its final bow.

That could be awhile.

Now heading into its 16th season, The Simpsons is still posting solid ratings and consistently ranks number one in its Sunday time slot for adults 18-49, the category coveted by advertisers. It has also become the longest running comedy series on the tube and has spawned a billion-dollar franchise for Fox, which after some protracted negotiations, agreed to a new four-year deal with the show's six stars that gave each of them a whopping pay raise to $250,000 per episode.

Plenty of d'oh, indeed.

Even though Las Vegas (or some betting people) put the odds of it being Smithers at 115,000:1, if it isn't Smithers then they've wasted 15 years of building him up to look gay without actually having it come out in the clear.

They seem to think that it will be Carl (5:1 odds).

Guest JohnnySwift

I wouldn't rule out Lenny, they've been building him up as having a crush on Karl ever since that whole "Mount Karl" incident. Not to mention later in that episode when Artie Ziff rescues Homer and Lenny from the burning oil rig Lenny did have a pretty more than friends reaction to seeing Karl.

Guest FrigidSoul

In the early part of the series Carl actually had a wife. They just sorta stopped mentioning her though.

They should make it Ned Flanders and have him excommunicated from the church just to see how the Pope reacts. I'd love to listen to the Pope talk about the Simpsons.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Off the top of my head the potential canidates are:

Lenny

Smithers - which would be stupid and ruin the joke

Milhouse

Patty - whichever twin is celebate

Barney - hey he's never been near a woman as far as the show goes

Rod or Todd

Or we'll get someone stupid like Apu or Krusty the Clown. This just reeks of having nothing else to write about.

I thought Smithers was already proven to be gay. Sure, there's all the signs like being in love with Mr. Burns and collecting Malibu Stacy, but what about the in the one when Homer is afraid of gay John from that store in the mall. (I can't think of the episode name.) When John takes Marge and the kids out to the revolving restaurant, Smithers sees John and implies that John broke a date with him. Plus, in "Homer the Smithers", Smithers goes on vacation to what looks like a gay island, when he's on the phone with Mr. Burns.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Bart, but it'll probably be Lenny. Milhouse at least had a girlfriend in that old episode, and he did go out with McBane's daughter in the other newer one.

Guest Fook

If it's any of the kids it'll just be stupid. No one knows their sexuality in grade 4.

If it's any of the kids it'll just be stupid. No one knows their sexuality in grade 4.

I knew mine in kindergarten. But, then again, I probably didn't know what gay was.

I knew mine in kindergarten. But, then again, I probably didn't know what gay was.

Guest FrigidSoul

Maggie can't talk yet she can fire a gun with precision and wants to feed on breasts for more than what the average baby does.

I will hate life if that comes to fruitation.

Off the top of my head the potential canidates are:

Lenny

Smithers - which would be stupid and ruin the joke

Milhouse

Patty - whichever twin is celebate

Barney - hey he's never been near a woman as far as the show goes

Rod or Todd

Or we'll get someone stupid like Apu or Krusty the Clown. This just reeks of having nothing else to write about.

Lenny - maybe.

Smithers - not unless he's marrying Mr. Burns.

Millhouse - possibly, the school psychologist said he had homosexual tendencies. Of couse, he's a little young to get married, but if he did, I'd see him marrying the other Millhouse. The one from Shelbyville.

Patti - very probable, especially since they can play Selma's marriages off as a joke like "always a bridesmaid..." Stupid stuff like that.

Barney - I can think of several times he's been with women, including the spinoff of the Love-matic Grandpa.

Rod or Todd - definitely not. They are afraid of moths, imagine the fear they must have of God or their parents.

*To Frigidsoul, I believe the Simpsons are Protestant, meaning the Pope would not get involved.

Sideshow Bob, after his long time in prison...

Who becomes gay after being raped? That's like saying a woman being raped by a man will become a slut all of the sudden.

Rod or Todd - definitely not. They are afraid of moths, imagine the fear they must have of God or their parents.

Well if the look into the future is true we already know they're both gay :)

Actually, it's me making a fucking joke, guy.

Calm fucking down.

Rape is no laughing matter...unless you're being raped by a clown.

Well, Max Power (if that is your real name), you seem like one of those people who takes the show too fucking seriously. Notice I didn't get offended that you mentioned Sideshow Bob as being gay, but the way he would become gay that you suggested is simply awful. I don't support rape in prison or outside of prison. In a way, I see rape as worse than murder. You're taking someone's life from them, but leaving them alive to live in the shell of their previous life. That's despicable and why I HATE rapists.

Guest Sturgis
I thought Smithers was already proven to be gay. Sure, there's all the signs like being in love with Mr. Burns and collecting Malibu Stacy, but what about the in the one when Homer is afraid of gay John from that store in the mall. (I can't think of the episode name.) When John takes Marge and the kids out to the revolving restaurant, Smithers sees John and implies that John broke a date with him. Plus, in "Homer the Smithers", Smithers goes on vacation to what looks like a gay island, when he's on the phone with Mr. Burns.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Bart, but it'll probably be Lenny. Milhouse at least had a girlfriend in that old episode, and he did go out with McBane's daughter in the other newer one.

In a flashback episode of Bart's first day at school The Simpsons saw a shrink for Bart's depression.

Shrink: Says something about their son being a homosexual.

Marge: Bart's gay?

Shrink: Oops wrong file.

(Puts folder reading: Vanhouten, Milhouse in cabnit)

From www.snpp.com:

?ABF?? - Title Unknown In case you didn't notice, Patty had always indeed leaned towards homosexuality at times. In this episode, Patty falls for a local female golf pro. Springfield legalizes gay marriage, and Homer becomes a minister by registering online. This may spell an outing for the love-stricken Patty. However, be on the lookout for a possible twist ending. This episode could be part of the FABF production line, or the next season's.