TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Alien vs. Predator

I'm seeing this movie tomorrow. I'm thinking of finding all of my copies of AvP comics, and letting the people I'm going with read them before and after the movie. That way they can be let down too.

Hey, I'll admit it: I am kinda psyched for this movie. I was also psyched for Resurrection, though, so it's my fanboy side taking over.

I don't think they would be let down if they read the comics. If they are like me and only know Predator and Alien from the movies, you have no idea what the hell is going on in the last 20 minutes. It at least makes some sense if you have read the comics.

I just got back from this, and well it sucks. It was just one big slap in the face to the comic, Scott, Cameron, and McTerian. (sp?) The fights where pretty bad, it seemed like a three year old was playing with wrestling figures and just mashing him together. I went in, expecting atleast something good from this, and I was just wanted to kill Paul "I Just Killed Off Two Movie Monster's" Anderson. The acting was wooden , and the casting was horrible. The movie should've just been Alien vs Predator with very few humans in it. The female lead didn't hold a candle to Ripley or Dutch, and the ending was bs. I got in free because of my Predator DVD, and I felt sad for the die-hard AvP fans. Don't waste your money, don't even waste your free ticket on this junk. It's just not worth it. Many times I wanted to just walk out and go see the 10:30 showing of The Village. It made Catwoman look like The Godfather II.

Grade: F

"The fights where pretty bad, it seemed like a three year old was playing with wrestling figures and just mashing him together. "

That's what I said in the spoiler section, but damn if it isn't true. :)

I just got back, and it really wasn't good at all. I hated it. Almost the entire appeal of the movie is seeing an actual big ass Alien vs Predator fight. Instead, we get a 2 minute (at most) action figure mish mosh and then a T Rex chase later.

BAD.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Man, what happen to the whole "Whoever wins... We lose." ;)

They would've been better off letting Uwe Boll direct this thing.

The shoulder cannons--why would the young Predators HAVE to use *those*, and didn't bring their own? Aside from having some special religious significance from maybe being specially designated (which I have not heard anything about), there seems to be little reason for the Preds to blunder in there, unprepared to actually fight the Aliens.

My guess is getting the shoulder cannon was part of the training, to get through the aliens and to get the guns would make them "earn" the weapons so they could kill them easier. Then again, if getting the guns was near the entrance of the location, that defeats this post.

Man, what happen to the whole "Whoever wins... We lose." ;)

The quote still stands, it's still very much there.

We all lost $$$ for seeing the flick.

We lose.

whoeverwinsyoulose.jpg

"Whoever wins, we lose" seems especially ridiculous when you note that there were three predators (two of whom were total scrubs) and maybe about a dozen aliens. Not exactly overwhelming numbers.

I went into this movie, because of the title and everything I'd heard about it, thinking that this was going to me a huge war between the two creatures, with only a few humans there in the way.

In the trailer they even have that fucking scene from all of those years ago where all of those Aliens are going up that pyramid, making it look like THAT is what was going to happen.

I hate when trailers for films do shit like that. It's as if they feel they need to lie to you in order to get you to come see it.

Serves you guys right for paying $$$ to see a Paul W. S. Anderson "sci-fi action" flick. By now you should know those always suck

My friend and I didn't actually *pay* to see it. :)

Managed to score the Predator Special Edition for $14.99, which was a steal practically anyway, plus the free pass.

In the trailer they even have that fucking scene from all of those years ago where all of those Aliens are going up that pyramid, making it look like THAT is what was going to happen.

THAT would have been a spoiler. :P Glad they didn't put a blatant spoiler like that in the trailer.

Although that seems to indicate these Predators apparently don't really always carefully select how many Aliens they want to hunt.

Oh, another gripe about that--didn't that scene seem to only wipe out the living things, rather than being the more conventional explosive used all the time by Predators, and then in the ending...the more conventional explosive is used. Hmm.

Anyone else notice that the Predator weapons are sometimes resistant to the Alien acid-blood--and sometimes not?

Weren't there a few more adult Aliens than there could be possible, with only the small number of humans, and ONE Predator Alien? There can only be as many adult Aliens as there are hosts (aside from the Queen, which already full grown).

Meh..I saw it Saturday...and I actually enjoyed it. *shrugs shoulders

But then again, I'm no 'huge movie buff' like some of you are, plus I'm not as critical as some people about some things.

but yea, I actually liked the movie and thought the 'two characters' aligning was pretty...neat.

I still can't reconcile the image of Batman fighting a Predator in my head.

Imagine body armor being involved, and remember that the right sort of Batarang is analagous to Pred's razor discs. :)

BTW, AVP is, to me, officially the worst Alien or Predator movie of all time.

"but yea, I actually liked the movie and thought the 'two characters' aligning was pretty...neat."

Yeah. Even if I didn't really dig *that* character, it's still neat to see. There were some things in it I liked, just not enough to make me recommend the movie.

Resident Evil and Soldier.

And also Event Horizon and Mortal Kombat. For some ungodly reason I've seen all of these, and they're uniformly awful. When Event Horizon is the high-water mark of your career, something's gone horribly wrong.

I still can't reconcile the image of Batman fighting a Predator in my head.

Imagine body armor being involved, and remember that the right sort of Batarang is analagous to Pred's razor discs. :)

BTW, AVP is, to me, officially the worst Alien or Predator movie of all time.

"but yea, I actually liked the movie and thought the 'two characters' aligning was pretty...neat."

Yeah. Even if I didn't really dig *that* character, it's still neat to see. There were some things in it I liked, just not enough to make me recommend the movie.

..it's even worse than Ressurection?

..it's even worse than Ressurection?

In my opinion, yes.

Visually it (A:R) is far more interesting compared to the dark, confusing scenes and sets of AVP. And while it is stupid, I'll take cheesy and stupid over boring and stupid any day of the week. The action scenes were way better, despite some of them being less realistic than the AVP ones. Plus, A:R has Ron Perlman and Sigourney Weaver. AVP has ONE competent Predator fighter, and Ripley-Lite. Obviously, A:R delivers far better with gore, too. :)

However, keep in mind I'm a MiSTie and a B-movie fan. So to me, at least A:R delivers entertainment even if a good bit of it is unintentional. AVP doesn't have that going for it.

Plus, AVP blew the chance to have swimming Aliens. A:R has swimming Aliens. AVP doesn't.

Winner: Alien - Resurrection

And also Event Horizon and Mortal Kombat. For some ungodly reason I've seen all of these, and they're uniformly awful. When Event Horizon is the high-water mark of your career, something's gone horribly wrong.

I liked Mortal Kombat! Seriously, I think that's the very best possible movie you could have made out of the game. Solid plot (even if a cliche one), some good fight scenes, great scenery, fit in the most important characters, Raiden and Tsung's characters were nailed down perfectly, well-shot, decent effects, didn't take you out of the movie because the humans mostly stuck to realistic moves, and GORO!! My favorite PWTFEA movie by far.

Plus, Annihilation was so laughably terrible that I can't see how you could diss MK that much. :P (MKA was done by a different director. It'd be worthy of a MiSTing.)

It was...okay. I liked how much better the Alien model looked in this one than in Alien 3 and Resurrection. That's the extent of my liking of this film.

Well, I lied. I also loved the Alien/Predator hybrid at the end of the film, as that was the basis of the final issue of Aliens vs. Predator: Duel (which is a 2-part miniseries, but entertaining nonetheless, and helps link AVP with AVP: War and Aliens: Berserker).

Scenes I fucking hated:

-The first Predator dying, since it made no sense. AN ALIEN'S TAIL IS NOT 12 FEET LONG!

-The second Predator death. Uh, sorry, but if an Alien can just waste a Predator that easily? Then these are some dumb fucking Predators.

-The third Predator being impregnated by the facehugger. He'd have realized the thing was coming at him, seeing as how it WAS making noise.

-The Queen suddenly going from 12 feet tall in Aliens to 30 feet tall.

-ALIEN HEAD AS A SHIELD. FUCK YOU.

*1/2 out of a possible 5*. Entertaining in a sick sort of way, but ultimately leaves a bad taste in your mouth, just like Chinese food.

CHUD has a good review of the movie. Well, it's not a good review in the sense that it gave it a good rating (5/10), but good in that it tells you the good and the bad points in the movie, and why he thinks so. There's also a throwaway Wolverine quote in there, but that's one of those "things that may interest only me" (TM Peter King) things...

The Queen suddenly going from 12 feet tall in Aliens to 30 feet tall.

Well considering the one in AVP was a lot older than the one in Aliens.. the one in Aliens might not have been full grown.

When Event Horizon is the high-water mark of your career, something's gone horribly wrong.

..and what, exactly, is wrong with Event Horizon? Seriously, he does sci-fi, were you expecting Othello?

Im absoulutly devastated this film has turned out shite, I sort of knew Hollywood would fuck it up and Americanise it, but goddamn that is just such a wasted fucking film

Im absoulutly devastated this film has turned out shite, I sort of knew Hollywood would fuck it up and Americanise it, but goddamn that is just such a wasted fucking film

Americanize it?

When Event Horizon is the high-water mark of your career, something's gone horribly wrong.

..and what, exactly, is wrong with Event Horizon? Seriously, he does sci-fi, were you expecting Othello?

Because all sci-fi is braindead, SFX-laden, illogical tripe, correct? ;)

Anderson should only be directing films when he's got a strong script--i.e. written by somebody with screenwriting talent--or maybe he should just stick to doing music videos or something in that vein.

Well considering the one in AVP was a lot older than the one in Aliens.. the one in Aliens might not have been full grown.

Probably the Queen would need to be almost fully mature to lay eggs in the first place, so while a minor discrepency is one thing--this is a huge one.