TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Highland

YOU

Guest Vitamin X

Not at ALL. Evanescence is far more tragic and depressing, and Linkin Park is just... well.. lame.

I know Evanescence is largely hated (in fact I have a difficult time finding anyone else who likes them-they're sort of my guilty pleasure I guess you could say), but the girl has some talent with writing melancholy lyrics and singing.

Guest Coffey

If everyone had the same tastes and opinions, life would suck. This guy is just an attention monger. He's an idiot looking for internet acceptance...which comes off as making him look like a desperate loser.

I'm glad that he has different taste in music than a bunch of people whom grew up in a different generation than he did. You'd be surprised what 3-4 years difference can make to musical taste...especially to impressionable kids growing up in late 90's MTV generation.

Obviously not every single person fits into the above stereotype, however you should get the point. It'd be like going to a Vikings/Packers game and cheering for the Colts. It doesn't make sense.

He's trying to get through to people that these bands are only around because the media controls what the public sees and hears.

People should be able to choose what they listen to. But unfortunately the landscape of music is only focused on a few select artists because of marketing.

I understand this is nothing new, but the guy's fighting the good fight.

More power to him.

Guest SP-1
You like Linkin Park, but not Evanescence?

Aren't they the same band, except with that hot chick?

Hardly.

I'm indifferent to Linkin Park, but Evanesence works for me. Lee's voice is great. It may not be OMG COMPLEX~!, but they do what they do well. They aren't the greatest ban ever, far from it, but they certainly don't suck. The lyrics work with the music and they work well at producing mental imagery to go along with the emotion.

Don't get me wrong. Alot of music today does indeed strike me as formulaic and bland. But for whatever reason, Evanesence doesn't quite fall into that category for me.

So, what wouldn't be bad taste in music to them?

That's the problem with these kinds of things. I mean, no matter what they would inevitably list as "good" music, there is probably at least one person out there who could rip it apart as crap. Funny clips though.

Someone on another forum shot him an E-Mail:

I really love your site. I was wondering: what bands do you listen to? Don't worry, I'm not trying to lure you into some sort of trap, I'm just a curious cat.

Response:

Eman Laerton:

Bob,

I'm currently listening to: Fela Kuti, Queens of the Stone Age, The Standard, Eric B. & Rakim, Sly & The Family Stone, Nick Drake, The Flaming Lips, Gary Jules, AC/DC, Sigur Ros, and My Morning Jacket.

Hope that helps your curiosity.

Thanks for the kind words about the site.

-Eman Laerton

:headbang:

Guest Vitamin X

Most of these types are just pretentious indie rock geeks that believe that just because it's on the radio, it's terrible music.

Music is highly subjective to one's own personal opinion according to their personality type, experiences, and exposure. Everyone has a different reason to like a certain kind of music, especially if someone doesn't care much for it other than having some kind of background or something to sing along to on a car ride or that reminds them of a relationship (since a good portion of music, ESPECIALLY pop, deals with relationships/love in some way, shape or form).

I absolutely loathe shite like Nickelback, Three Doors Down, Chevelle, The Used, and Linkin Park, but hey you know what? I'm not going to disrespect someone's opinion or try to show them why METAL IS INFINITELY BETTER!!!! because everyone has different tastes. Doesn't mean I won't try to expose them to music I listen to, but for the most part, I agree with Coffey's sentiment on all this.

I absolutely loathe shite like Nickelback, Three Doors Down, Chevelle, The Used, and Linkin Park, but hey you know what? I'm not going to disrespect someone's opinion or try to show them why METAL IS INFINITELY BETTER!!!! because everyone has different tastes. Doesn't mean I won't try to expose them to music I listen to, but for the most part, I agree with Coffey's sentiment on all this.

You say that as if it's a bad thing....

dev.jpg

METALLLLOOOOO

A band that made an album in their garage using a tape recorder which has only one copy in existence, and it lies in the darkest, most secluded corner of the deepest basement of the smallest record store in Manhattan.

That, my friend, is NOT bad music.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
See, no one's immune. My Morning Jacket indeed.

Worst fucking band.

Six Feet Under

Not at ALL. Evanescence is far more tragic and depressing, and Linkin Park is just... well.. lame.

I know Evanescence is largely hated (in fact I have a difficult time finding anyone else who likes them-they're sort of my guilty pleasure I guess you could say), but the girl has some talent with writing melancholy lyrics and singing.

or they could just a be a huge rip off of Lacuna Coil who have been around much longer..

I actually heard a radio station act as if Evanescence was around before LC...

I'm not a fan of either..but I think thats where some resentment comes in...

Guest Kid Kablam

While I don't advocate rampant relativism, this guy is coming off as a complete tool. I believe in his goal not his methods, as I am the kinder gentler elitist.

Evanescence is my guilty pleasure.

Excuse me while I go cry in the corner rocking back and forth while listening to "My Immortal" on repeat endlessly.

No, I'm not kidding.

Guest Fire and Knives

"You don't like it just because everybody else likes it!"

Anybody in this thread that's said anything remotely similar to this is a complete fucking moron. I don't have the motivation to argue the point, but I really want you guys to know that your argument has no reasoning behind it and that your opinions are totally invalid and useless.

It's important that somebody tell you.

K.

See, no one's immune. My Morning Jacket indeed.

Worst fucking band.

You're both wrong. Great fucking band.

Go listen to Allman Brothers, then.

For what it's worth, here are my least favorite currently active bands, "indie" edition (no particular order):

My Morning Jacket

The Faint

The Thrills

Polyphonic Spree

Guest Derek Bailey

What's so bad about The Faint? What I've heard suggests that they're just a terribly boring band with awful lyrics, although if one more person recommends them to me my indifference may edge towards hatred.

They're terrible enough on record, but live, oh man. I don't know why they bother to bring instruments with them on stage; it sounds like their album is just being played over the PA very loudly while they prance about like a bunch of ninnies.