TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Best song opening

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

The Beatles - Come Together

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile

That's all I can get from the top of my head for the moment.

Guest GreatOne

Metallica: No Remorse, Damage Inc, And Justice For All......

Slayer: Seasons In The Abyss, War Ensemble, Killing Fields, Disciple

Megadeth: Holy Wars, Last Rites/Loved To Death, Symphony of Destruction

Obituary: Infected, Cause Of Death, Internal Bleeding, Slowly We Rot

Sepultura: Beneath The Remains, From The Past Comes The Storms

Judas Priest: Dissident Aggressor, Victim Of Changes

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The very first moments I ever heard of Dillinger Escape Plan was the frantic guitar tapping at the beginning of "Sugar Coated Sour," and they've been among my very favorite bands from that point on.

The live version off of the self-titled with the samples from Se7en is even cooler.

Guest GreatOne

Black Sabbath with the classic rain/bells intro

Priest: Metal Meltdown with the guitar solo intro.

I love the intro to White Zombie's "I, Zombie." Classical choir music as played through an old record, then a woman screams as the record screeches, and BAM! The groove-happy industrial metal assault of Sean and J, with the heavy drumming of John motherfucking Tempesta, and then the raspy voice of Rob himself entering when the verse starts 30 seconds later.

I have to put 'This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both of Us' by the almighty Sparks in here. I know it's obvious, but the way the piano riff and vocal slide up and down together coupled with the most aesthetically unique band the UK had seen in 1974 staring at you maniacally sticks in your memory. That was the perfect introduction to the band.

I'm also fond of 'Human Fly' by The Cramps.

Guest JebusNassedar

My personal ten favorites:

10: Mr Bungle - Goodbye Sober Day

I can never name that scratchy thing used in this song, but really makes the opening is the purely bizzare timing in the vocals, that really end up fitting the song to a T, as they say. Another reason this places is that this was the first Mr Bungle song I've ever heard.

9: Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child

On a side note, in my opinion, Jimi Hendrix's music is pretty much everything rock should be. Moving on, the way that the song starts, with just Jimi, strumming along. The way the sound gets louder is much akin to an engine revving up, and is followed with probably one of the most distinct guitar licks of all time.

8: Shadows Fall - Thoughts Without Words

Talk about crushing...as I see it, Shadows Fall is a remarkable combination of old metal sound, and newer metal sensabilities, and it all combines to make a rather spectacular kick in the face, especially here.

7: Stevie Ray Vaughn - Pride And Joy

The howling guitar at the start of the song is probably the first thing a lot of people remember about SRV's music. It's a very distinct start, and a strong one at that.

6: Most anything from Dillinger Escape Plan

I think my favorite part about DEP is that there is often no warning about the songs, and when they hit, it's much akin to being hit by a car. If I have to choose only one song of theirs that stands out for me, it's Variations on a Cocktail Dress, especially when it's preceded by the relatively calm Weekend Sex Change.

5: Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness

So, after hearing Thumbtack go on and on about the whole album, and Immortal's greatness (which he was right about, in addition), I caved, and managed to find a copy. The way the song starts is almost old school, but the power felt through the drums gives you this feeling of dread, the same kind that one felt when an assbeating was imminent in grade school. And that's when the guitars kick in. Great way to start a song.

4: Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - Are You Hung Up?

The song isnt technically a song, but a random collection of strange sounds, odd whisperings, some quick guitar work, and Jimmy Carl Black, the Indian of the group. It's the best sign possible for what's to come on that album.

3: Slayer - Raining Blood

For all the reasons Corey stated.

2: Nile - Unas Slayer of the Gods

For those who havent heard it, please, go do. It's the best use of acoustics towards metal that I've ever heard, and that's only the beginning of how insanely fucking awesome the entire song is.

1: The Mars Volta - Son Et Lumiere

I admit it, I'm a shameless Mars Volta mark, but the entirety of Son Et Lumiere is still my favorite album opener of all time. The keyboard's slow, distorted whine and slightly faster, lightly toned pattern, as well as all of the ambience in the background. Cedric's vocals then start up, and help to flush out the tone created by the keyboard, and as his verse comes to an end, -bang-, the drums start up. It keeps building and building, and then blasts out Inertiatic ESP. It's just perfect, how it fits.

Of course, I could be crazy. It's entirely possible.

Primus-DMV

Fuck yeah. Always been a favourite.

I love 'Requiem' by Killing Joke also. Not complicated or anything, just has a slight epic quality. I think if that first album had had better production I'd love it more though. If the drums and vocals were just touched up a bit, it would be a classic.

Gwar's "Saddam-A-Go-Go" has a killer opening too. Just a few notes on a trumpet, a trombone, and a saxophone. The entire song is pretty much ska/metal, and it works oh so well. WE ALL SADDAM-A-GO-GO!

Guest The Decadent Slacker

The Who- "Pinball Wizard," "Baba O'Riley," "Won't Get Fooled Again," & "Behind Blue Eyes"

Beatles- "Strawberry Fields," "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," more but i can't think of any.

Stones- "Satisfaction"

Zeppelin- "Stairway to Heaven," "Kashmir," "Over the Hills and Far Away" a lot more. I'm just not feeling very descritpive at the moment.