TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

USA Mens Basketball team defeats Spain

Our mens' basketball team just defeated Spain, 102-94. Stephon Marbury scored 31 points, a record for USA Men's Olympic Basketball. After a 5-0 pool record, the Spanish team fails to medal. At this point, I think the mens' team has an excellent shot at reaching the finals.

I'm glad we won and all, but to be honest the officiating in that game was pitiful. Marbury on more than one occasion blatantly shoved one of the Spain players to the floor, and I was laughing out loud at how many fouls we got away with. And when they did call fouls on us, we whined about it, every time. Spain played very admirably, all things considered. Boozer was great down the stretch, too.

Who are we playing next?

Guest Ghetto Bird

Let's keep it real; the officiating was horrible for both teams, all game long.

Thinking about it now, that may have been the easiest game for the US. Spain have some good players, but they rely more on the inside game than the outside which more closely resembles the NBA. Spain didn't hit the three or defend it much at all the whole game. I believe the US shot over 50% with Spain going 5/25 or something crazy like that.

What happened is that the US called a timeout with about 28 seconds left, up by around 10 points. The US coaches; ' explanation is that you have to request timeout in advance, so it was requested before the game reached that point.

Saw it live this morning getting ready for work, very entertaining game. The refs were absolutely atrocious and almost seemed arbitrary as to when they would call a foul or not for both teams.

The Spain coach was being a complete crybaby after the game. If he was worried about the U.S. running up the score, which they weren't, then he shouldn't have ordered his team to keep fouling in the final minute when the game was already decided. This will probably turn into some lame controversy but the U.S. did nothing wrong.

Guest MikeSC
Heard Spain's coach was going nuts at the end of the game. Surprised someone from Spain stood up for themself after facing some hardship...

Well, I heard the gov't is on the verge of toppling after this.

-=Mike

Guest Vitamin X
My dad said he saw Brown's lips moving and he said "don't poke me with your fuckin' finger."

Classy. :rolleyes:

My dad said he saw Brown's lips moving and he said "don't poke me with your fuckin' finger."

Classy. :rolleyes:

I think it is. Any other coach would have slugged the guy. You don't start poking someone in the chest and expect them to just stand there and take it. Brown showed great restraint with that jerk off.

Guest Vitamin X

`Cause lord knows a poke in the chest is FIGHT TIME, BITCH!

I think the right thing to have done there would to have just shrugged it off and ignored it. No reason to act all arrogant and pompous.

Guest MikeSC
`Cause lord knows a poke in the chest is FIGHT TIME, BITCH!

I think the right thing to have done there would to have just shrugged it off and ignored it. No reason to act all arrogant and pompous.

Telling him "Don't poke me with your fuckin' finger" is "fight time"?

It's not like Brown did anything public and obvious --- you know, like the Spanish coach.

-=Mike

You obviously didn't see the incident then. The Spain coach was being an asshole and showed a complete lack of sportsmanship. Brown seemed like he was going to ignore him at first but the Spain coach kept yelling at him.

You obviously didn't see the incident then. The Spain coach was being an asshole and showed a complete lack of sportsmanship. Brown seemed like he was going to ignore him at first but the Spain coach kept yelling at him.

Exactly, Brown tried to shrug off the incident and the guy kept on him. Brown showed incredible restraint and he didn't shout it.

The coach was showing lack of respect for the Olympics and Brown and all Brown said was "don't poke me"

Guest Staravenger

If I have learned nothing from movies, in Major League: Back To The Minors, whatshisname says poking someone in the chest with their finger is daring you to hit them. Brown laying out the Spain coach would've had me rolling.

I'm quite happy the US won.

Spain or anyone else cannot complain about officiating because it has been terrible for all teams throughout the Olympics. I was watching the Puerto Rico vs. Italy game earlier and within the first 3 minutes there were already missed traveling calls and 1 cheap foul called.

All of the officials are terrible so it's a level playing field.

The only reason the Spanish coach is angry is because his team went undefeated in the prelim round then got dispatched immediately from the medal round.

He can cry all he wants but thats not going to change his team being eliminated.

The only reason the Spanish coach is angry is because his team went undefeated in the prelim round then got dispatched immediately from the medal round.

He can cry all he wants but thats not going to change his team being eliminated.

That is exactlly what I was going to say.

And I hope the US team doesn't get cocky because they defeated a good team. Most of the guys on the team have a bigger ego than an elephant's cock.

I like the quote the Spanish coach made: "I used to have a lot of respect for Larry Brown. Dean Smith would have never done something like that (meaning the time out)."

Lemme get this straight....Dean Smith not using all of his time outs? Ha!

What would be funny, is after the Olympics is over that one member of the USA "Dream" Team has been caught tampering with drugs or using an illegal substance.

That'll get the Spanish coach pissed off even more.

So Spain's coach is just mad because Brown used a timeout with 28 seconds left? That's it?

What a herb.

Well I am sure he is mad that he just lost to a team that was looked at as a joke, even though they are stacked with talent.

EDIT: Argentina beat Greece, 69-64.

So they play Argentina at either 8 or 10:15 Athens times, but NBCOlympics.com doesn't say which semifinal game they have.

Speaking of basketball, I just saw a debate between Screamin' A Smith and Michael Irvin about Olympic hoops vs preseason football. My question is - what did I do to deserve this?

Exactly what is Jason Whitlock getting at in this article? Apparently rooting against Team USA is "racist" now, but reading the article, he's all over the place in his opinions.

Whitlock's a fat jackass. You can easily make an argument why people should root for them. They wanted to play, they took time away from their off-season to represent their country.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think it'd be great for a disjointed bunch of rookies to defeat the world.