TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter

Guest Anglesault
Yeah and if George had his way, there wouldn't be a pennant race in the AL East this late in the season.

You can't buy away a pennant race.

You can buy the players you think will stop one from happening.

Your point? Just because Georgy wants it, doesn't mean he'll get it.
Perhaps. But only because has other options.

If it was Clement or nothing, the question wouldn't even have to be asked.

They have had much more success staying within the AL

Key, Abbot, Mussina, Clemens, Wells, Cone

Actually, David Cone had a majority of his work with the New York Mets up to the point where he came to the Yankees. He did have a proven track record in the AL, though, when he won 16 games with the Royals. Just saying.

Pavano's been great this year, but I'm not sure the Yankees should rush out to get a guy with a 4.28 career ERA that's been anchored by 245 innings of 3.30 ERA ball in Pro Player Stadium.

Clement would be a savvy pickup, though, as he looks like he's finally turned the corner.

Guest Staravenger
::Ted DiBiase cackle.::

Everybody has a price.

Some might cost a little...some might cost alot. But if George has his way, you WILL be bought.

That is the greatest thing I've read...this week.

Guest Anglesault
Pavano's been great this year, but I'm not sure the Yankees should rush out to get a guy with a 4.28 career ERA that's been anchored by 245 innings of 3.30 ERA ball in Pro Player Stadium.

I think it's worth a shot.

Guest Staravenger

So....whats the pitching match up for the Yankees/Orioles? Anyone on Baltimore that can be a threat?

Not if they have to cough up more compensatory draft picks to sign him.

The Cubs would probably cut Clement loose just to have the extra money to pursue Beltran, but I imagine that the Marlins would offer Pavano arbitration, with the new stadium and Pierre already sitting in CF.

Guest Anglesault

Not if they have to cough up more compensatory draft picks to sign him.

Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

The Yanks really need a couple good starters than can win next year, but also for the next 10.

Yeah, but this omelet's 28-years-old, has a career ERA of over 4.00, is a career .500 pitcher and has only pitched four career complete games. Just because he's having a career year this season doesn't mean you should go out and invest in him longterm. Why give up on good draft picks for a guy who's just having a great season; his first in seven years in the big leagues?

It's that outlook and method of practice that forces the Yankees to go out and sign new big names virtually every season, while having absolute shit in their farm system and areas like middle relief.

Guest Staravenger

Look what happend with Loaiza. He had one good year last year, and the Yankees trade Jose Contreras for someone whos sucked worse than he has.

Guest Anglesault
Why give up on good draft picks for a guy who's just having a great season; his first in seven years in the big leagues?

Because we have to do something, and he's one of the best on the market this offseason. We can't go into the next season with this rotation. Estebomb is gone (thank God), Lieber may be, Brown is a cripple, God only knows what's wrong with Moose and Javy may be hurt as well.

Unless we want to have a rotation that includes Halsey and Graman, they've got to get at least two new pitchers in the off season.

This may be Pavano's first good season, but injuries have prevented him from doing this more often.

Remember, he once was traded for Pedro Martinez.

This may be Pavano's first good season, but injuries have prevented him from doing this more often.

Remember, he once was traded for Pedro Martinez.

A move which was universally mocked for years and years and years. Hell, I'm sure Boston fans still get a chuckle out of it occasionally.

That's like defending Placido Polanco (or, even better, Bud Smith) by saying "Well, remember - he was traded for Scott Rolen!"

The Yanks really need a couple good starters than can win next year, but also for the next 10.

Which is why they should be trying to hold onto their draft picks and trying to replenish the farm system, instead of coughing them up (along with extra salary) for a guy with past injury concerns who just came off of his peak year?

Guest Anglesault

Which is why they should be trying to hold onto their draft picks and trying to replenish the farm system,

Picks that won't win us anything for quite some time, if they do at all.

The Yankees, with the staff they have, aren't doing anything next year. Moves need to be made.

Seriously, who do you have pencilled in as the Yankees starting rotation in 05?

If Steinbrenner wants Matt Clement, it ain't that big of a deal. Clement is ok, but he's like the 5th best guy the Cubs have when they're healthy (Wood, Prior, Maddux, even Zambrano..all better).

Now, Beltran is another thing. Cubs should save up a war chest to get this guy.

I'd like to see someone turn down the Yankee money. The only guy I can think of that did was Maddux in 1993, who went to the Braves instead (which actually might have been an error in judgement...could have won about 3 more titles in NY).

Which is why they should be trying to hold onto their draft picks and trying to replenish the farm system,

The Yankees, with the staff they have, aren't doing anything next year. Moves need to be made.

Let's see. Brown, Mussina, Vazquez, and two others. They don't need top of the rotation guys. They need depth. Of course, if they are smart, there are always teams that don't offer arbitration, so signing those guys wouldn't require draft picks. Kevin Millwood will likely cost no draft picks to sign.

As for picks, yeah, they usually aren't good immediately. But they are a good long term solution, and a necessary one at that. The Yankees got where they are because they developed Jorge Posada, Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Andy Pettitte, and Mariano Rivera through their farm system. You have to let the farm system grow. There's no reason the Yankees can not remain competitive, but they can't keep swimming for the fences every year. Yes, the object is to win, but you run the real danger of a total collapse when you keep mortaging the future.

Guest Anglesault

Let's see. Brown, Mussina, Vazquez, and two others. They don't need top of the rotation guys. They need depth. Of course, if they are smart, there are always teams that don't offer arbitration, so signing those guys wouldn't require draft picks. Kevin Millwood will likely cost no draft picks to sign.

But he's Kevin Millwood.

There's no reason the Yankees can not remain competitive, but they can't keep swimming for the fences every year.

What the hell is the difference? What is remaining competive? aiming for third and hoping things work out?

This sounds like a nice way of saying "rebuilding"

Kevin Millwood is just an example. It's reasonable to expect he'll pitch better, he could be undervalued, and they just need a 4th starter.

The difference is that you have a team good enough to win the division, and leave it at that. The Yankees try to assemble juggernaut teams, and it doesn't work. And by winning the division, I don't mean not good enough to win it all. Any team that makes the playoffs can win the championship.

Guest Anglesault
Kevin Millwood is just an example. It's reasonable to expect he'll pitch better, he could be undervalued, and they just need a 4th starter.

You have to understand, I was getting used to David Wells as a fourth starter. This year is quite a shock to the system.

Guest Anglesault

Yankees doing their very best to cause me to have a stroke. The total lack of urgency with which this team plays is beyond alarming.

Edited by Anglesault

Guest Anglesault
Ayrgh, this is the second time I forgot to start Pedro in my fantasy team.  And of course, he's throwing another gem.

And, of course, he's bringing Boston even closer, because no one on the fucking Yankees gives a damn tonight.

Edit: ::Smashes head into wall repeatedly::

Edited by Anglesault

Guest Anglesault

Oh my God, Heredia is in. Al, you might want to ban me from this thread for the next half hour.

So, in summary, Felix walked two people and almost killed a guy.

Edited by Anglesault

Guest Anglesault
Just step back and take a deep breath.

We got out of the inning. I guess that's a good sign.

Who the hell tries to steal second with a runner on third with two outs in a close game? I understand being aggressive in a close game, but with two outs and a runner at third, that doesn't seem like an ideal time to try and run.

And AS, the Orioles could've blown this thing wide open long ago considering how many runners they've had, so at least it's still a close game. But I'm getting a vibe that it'll be a two and a half game lead after this evening.

Guest Anglesault
But I'm getting a vibe that it'll be a two and a half game lead after this evening.

This IS the reverse 1978. I literally can't remember the last time I saw a motivated Yankee team.

Gavin Floyd is a lock to win his first major league game. Rumor out of NY media is that Howe is definitely getting fired after the season. Thank God, I know there have been a ton of injuries, but any manager that bats Gerald Williams 6th in the order clearly has no clue.

I think that's another problem with assembling a regular team that resembles an All-Star team. Hard-working or not, most of these teams tend to get a bit lazy, thinking that they've got it all under control. I thought this about the Yankees in the WS last year. It seemed they kept banking on this magic that they supposedly had, but never came around.

That's what makes the Cardinals this year so rare. You've got THREE MVP candidates; half of the team have gold gloves; their offense resembles an AL team; their pitching is good and yet, they haven't let the fact that they've got literally everything clicking for them, allow them to slack off for even one game.