TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jfscjrs

WWE Title Vs World Title

Guest jfscjrs

With the Raw World Title holding the NWA/WCW/WWE linage and the SmackDown! WWE title holding the WWWF/WWF/WWE Linage. My question is which Heavyweight title do you favor? or has always liked the best based on past champs,feuds and matches?

For me I would have to go with the WWE Championship(Even though the World Title has a MUCh better design and look to it). Even thought its been treated as the #2 feud on SD! right now. I've always favored the WWE title more because of all the memorial matches and feud fought over the WWE title over the years. I think WCW competly destroyed the World Title in 2000 with all the shitty champs and just all around mind-numbing booking that surounded the title.

The ONLY time I saw the World Title more important than the WWE title after all these years was actually this summer when Benoit held the World title and all the great matches and feud he had with the likes of HBK,Triple H and Kane. And while I kinda did enjoy the Eddie/JBL feud. Benoit and the World title was just booked better and seemed more important than the WWE title during those time. nowandays, Orton just doesn't have the look of a Champion right now espeically sence his feud with Triple H was completly rushed. I'am finding JBL/Undertaker much more entertaining than Triple H/Orton right now. and when Taker wins the title at No Mercy, it'll make the World title less important. On one show you have The Undertaker as Champion, while on the other, its um. Randy Orton, yeah.

Guest Loss

Considering that there wasn't even a tournament to crown the first "World" champion, I think this is a rather easy question.

Guest jfscjrs
Considering that there wasn't even a tournament to crown the first "World" champion, I think this is a rather easy question.

Thats another good point I forgot to add, when Bischoff brought back the World Title and handed it to Triple H, it compeltly tarnished it. But I think these past 2 years brought back some credibilty in the World title thought. espeically sence Benoit won it. I'am no big fan of his, but he was a great Champion.

Even though the World title had a crappy introduction on Raw, the WWE championship currently held by Bradshaw on Smackdown didn't start off all that gloriously either. Buddy Rogers won the belt in a tournament in South America (I think, I don't exactly remember) that may or may not have actually happened. If the World title is still around in forty years, will it really matter that Triple H was just handed the belt one night?

Also, the WWE Championship will always be the belt I care for more. It has such a great lineage behind it, that it's more prestigious than the Raw version. I wish Chris Benoit had won the WWE Championship instead of the World Championship.

Since Raw is the main focus of the WWE programing, and the people feuding over the title are presenting as bigger stars, not to mention the match quality that has been present in the defences is greater than the on opposing brand, it seems that thinking the WWE title holds more importantance comes down to being too smarkish and beliving that the lineage really holds any water. Afterall, you have to start somewhere. That being said, given 6 months of pushing one title over the over, that would give whatever belt the greater credibility.

Guest Loss

Wrestling is fake. It's not about the belt being fought over. I could have dealt with them telling us a tournament took place when one never did. Handing HHH the belt totally takes away any credibility it ever might have had. They should have just gone with the original plan to make the IC title the big one on RAW.

The problem with promoting the IC title to a World title status would be the high number of current jobbers who have held the belt in the past. New fans would see how the belt would be portrayed, then go look at profiles on WWE.com and go "Huh, that Billy Gunn guy who I see on Velocity was IC Champ? In what universe?!?"

Guest Loss

Noted, but the IC title was at least kayfabed as being a contested belt. The HHH title wasn't. It was disastrous, and they still haven't really recovered from it.

Guest jfscjrs
The problem with promoting the IC title to a World title status would be the high number of current jobbers who have held the belt in the past. New fans would see how the belt would be portrayed, then go look at profiles on WWE.com and go "Huh, that Billy Gunn guy who I see on Velocity was IC Champ? In what universe?!?"

Good point here, Moving the IC Title as a World Title belt would of been a terrible idea, When you have guys like Val Venis,A-Train,Godfather,Bradshaw,Billy Gunn,William Regal and CHYNA as past title holders. ESPEICALLY sence the IC title is way to small to be considered a World Title. no way in HELL is the IC belt going to look like a threat as a World Title. bringing back the REAL World Title was the more logical choise sence it IS a World Title and has a more impressive linage to it compared to the IC title. the way it was brought back though is another story.

Billy Gunn is better than David Arquette and Vince Russo. And it isn't anything new about midcarders getting the World Title. Look at Rick Martel in the AWA or Ron Garvin in the NWA.

Onto the topic at hand, the WWE Championship certainly has the lineage over the World Championship, but I don't really care much about that no matter how many times I call the World Championship the Fake World Title (usually when it is being treated like a second rate belt such as most of last year). How it is being used is what is important. That said, since HHH was given the belt in 2002, the only time I think it was on the same level as the World Title is at Wrestlemania XX and the early stages of Benoit's title run. It just seems that the World Belt is always secondary to the world title feuds (ie. all the Eugene stuff), whereas on Smackdown it seems to be the basis for the feud (ie. Bradshaw is pissed that an immigrant like Eddy has the belt). Wrestlers on Smackdown seem to want the WWE Title moreso than the RAW wrestlers want the World Title. Therefore, I think the WWE Title is more important, even though it is on the lesser show.

Yeah, it seems like the only wrestler on Raw who ever really wants the World title is Triple H and whoever is either defending it against him or challenging him for it.

Guest Loss

Benoit wanted it, but we only knew that because HHH told us he did, not because Benoit had much chance to tell us he did. The problem isn't so much the way the belt is presented on RAW as it is that everything revolves around HHH, and storylines rarely take twists that make him look anything less than the best and most important wrestler in the company. If everyone was coveting the belt as much as HHH, they'd all have the same desire he has, and we can't have anyone thinking that.

Yeah, after Benoit's one rematch against Randy Orton, he sort of seems content to fall back and wrestle Flair and Batista for the hell of it.

Meanwhile Triple H is going on and on about how it's his belt and it's weird that someone not named Triple H is holding it. We've been hearing this from him for six months now.

So, yes, I totally agree with Loss.

Guest jfscjrs

Thats one thing I've noticed. ever sence the belts return in 2002, Triple H as ALWAYS, in every shape and form, been involved in the World Title one way or another to today. which is just repetitive.

at least on SmackDown! and the WWE title. you had all kinds of challengers and Champions sence the title became SD! Exclusive. from Champions like Lesnar,Big Show,Angle,Eddie,JBL, and soon Taker and god knows who else.

Another good reason why I favor the WWE title over the World Title.

The way I see it is that one day - it could be next year, it could be 5 years from now - the titles will be merged, and Vince damn-well won't be having Big Goldie as the WWE championship, and therefore all the holders of that title will become void (a sidebar if they're lucky)

I always favored the WWE belt more (I miss the Eagle design though), better days will come when the evilness of Bradshaw's reign comes to an end.

I was into the Smackdown belt more...till they moved everyone good to RAW. Untill Eddie lost the belt I was still for it.

But the RAW title's not much better. It's almost like the old USWA Where Lawler (in this case HHH) would win the title, lose it, win it back, lose it...and pretty much he was every other champion, with no one else in between having it. I'm shocked Orton got it before HHH got it back.

Guest Tjhe CyNick

RAW title doestn't carry the NWA/WCW title lineage IMO, but who wants to get into that debate again?

I guess I care slightly more about the SD title because I see it as the "real" world title, with the lineage of the W/WWE/F and NWA/WCW combined with the fact that HHH never won the RAW title when it was introduced.

At the same time I dont think Ive really cared about either world title since Summerslam 02. I mean there have been ceratin matches Ive cared about that were for titles since then (Angle-Lesnar at Mania 19 and both title matches at Mania 20). But Ive never really seen either world title as anything more than a secondary title since SS 02.

Guest krazykat72

It recovered a long time ago and there's not argument to the contrary. It's been protected and booked more than the Smackdown belt and is constantly put over by the wrestlers (mainly Triple H). I've been to 3 PPVs this year (Rumble, Mania, SummerSlam). There was *far* more heat for the World Title than the WWE one.

Did it get off to a bad start? Sure, but don't say "I could deal with an imaginary tournament." This isn't 1963 where word wouldn't get out. If they tried to pull that, they'd be taking all kinds of heat and it would be just as big a joke and Triple H being handed the belt.

-Paul Jacobi-

Guest NiTR0

World Heavyweight Championship at the moment is held in higher esteem than the WWE Championship. There's just too many factors in favour for the RAW Title. The RAW Title has been the main event of Joint PPVs since Judgment Day 03. Since then the RAW Title has been the ME, at both Summerslams, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania. With the added factor that the WWE have made JBL the Champ, just for me puts the Title down.

I never understood the problem with HHH being given the RAW World title. He had already won the number one contendership, from the Undertaker I believe, then Brock just up and left to be exclusive to Smackdown. Thus, having Bischoff give the number 1 contender the title really wan't too illogical.

Guest Loss
I never understood the problem with HHH being given the RAW World title. He had already won the number one contendership, from the Undertaker I believe, then Brock just up and left to be exclusive to Smackdown. Thus, having Bischoff give the number 1 contender the title really wan't too illogical.

Because HHH didn't "win" the title in storyline terms at all. They should have held a tournament on RAW with HHH v RVD as the finals at Unforgiven, with HHH going over, if that's what they wanted. You don't hear people complaining about the credibility of the US title, do you?

World Title. By far. I would have originally said the WWE/F title, but it's gone pretty far downhill for the past while now, and I think that the World title has gone nowhere but up since they got it off of Goldberg.

all the more reasons to drop this whole silly brand extension shit and merge the titles into one...i thought it was a great idea when they had Jericho beat Austin and the Rock to become the one (and only if i recall) true champion and felt they should have left it that way, but good ol Vince and his brilliant ideas...

1) HHH was given the World title after winning a number one contenders' match. As he was the top contender on Raw, and with Lesnar leaving, the Raw part of the belt should by right be his.

2) Noone seems to moan about the IC belt's lineage (Rio de Janeiro 'tournament') and the fact that the belt was unified with HHH's World title, thus making the current IC belt's lineage different (starting Judgment Day 2003)

OK, in answer to what The Mountie posted.

1) The problem was the next week when Eric just handed the belt over. They could have had a one night four man Tournament, but no, they just handed the gold over to H. Sure, he beat Undertaker, but that was for the number 1 contendorship, not for a completely different title. It felt wrong that Triple H was just handed the belt, something should have been done to make sure that the belt was won, not just given. If Eric had of said that he wanted HHH to be the Champion and then the rest of the locker room disputed the call, forcing Eric to make a Tourny, that would have been cool too.

2) Dude, that was 40 years ago. The WWWF/WWF/WWE Championship and the Intercontinental Championship were both won in ficticious tournaments held in Rio, but back then, no one cared. The business has changed, and now if a title just appears out of the blue, then the wrestler and the company are immediately de-valued. Look at Lance Storm in WCW. He won the US Title in a match, then changed the name of the belt. If Storm had of just showed up with a title, the fan's would have been livid. It matters how belts are won now to the fans like you an I. We are all agreeing that WWE dropped the ball in late 2002 when they did that on RAW, it wasn't right by the fans or the workers. As for the IC Title in 2003, Austin came out and gave an explanation, he re-activated the belt after it was retired back at No Mercy 2002. It was never merged with a belt, it was retired. The whole story that night was the fact that the IC Title was being retired, no one ever said the word 'merge'.