TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

MLB Game Chatter

Guest Anglesault
Hell I was only hoping for a split anyway...........

Perhaps you should lower your sights a little bit more.

Guest Staravenger
Oh goody the A's have lost five in a row now and their lead over the Angels is back down to one game. Just fucking great.

Did the AL West self-destruct or something in the last few weeks? First the Angels & Rangers go on horrible losing streaks, dropping out of the Wild Card slot by several games, and now Oakland can't win either.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

The Angels have been doing well - recently, winning 24 of 36 since August 1st (.666).

Guest Staravenger

I have to cheer for the Marlins today. Mainly because Willis is on one of my teams in the playoffs.

What part of the lineup does Sosa usually bat? 3rd? I haven't watched a Cubs game in a few weeks and already forgot.

Oh goody the A's have lost five in a row now and their lead over the Angels is back down to one game. Just fucking great.

Did the AL West self-destruct or something in the last few weeks? First the Angels & Rangers go on horrible losing streaks, dropping out of the Wild Card slot by several games, and now Oakland can't win either.

Nope, they just ran into a Red Hot Red Sox team.

This hasn't received any notice, but Carlos Beltran is on the verge of a 40/40 season. Only three other players (Jose Canseco, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez) have accomplished this feat. Beltran is currently sitting at 38 HRs and 36 SBs.

Mr. Clutch, Moises Alou strikes out with runners at the corners, to end a mini two-out Cubs rally in the 7th against Mota. Granted Mota's a tough customer, but if Alou's so clutch, one would figure he'd get that tying run in from third. But whatever.

Neifi Perez leads off the 8th with a single and advances to second on an error by Alex Gonzalez. Sosa follows up with a single up the middle that ties the game at 2. Color me shocked that Sosa drives in a run in a big situation; against Mota, no less. Mota plunked Grudz in the next at-bat, too. They still need to tack on another run, though, but I'm impressed they got back into it against a guy who's been lights out with Florida.

My only question is...WHY DON'T YOU BRING IN BENITEZ?! It's so frustrating. He's warming up, all of a sudden it's not a "save situation" anymore and they sit him down?! Then you bring in Matt Perisho who interupts a sure double play to load the bases and Seanez who promptly allows a base clearing double. If Benitez came in when he should have, we'd be going to extra innings, instead you just lost a ball game.

He certainly did.

And Mik, I wondered the same thing. I mean, I know he may need him later, but in the bottom of the 8th on the road, the game was on the bases. You've got the bases loaded with just one more out to go, but you've gotta get through Derrek Lee. It's not like it was Ramon Martinez or someone of that caliber. If that were the case, I could understand not bringing in your ace reliever. Oh well. What a comeback from the Cubs. It was nice to see everyone chipping in for the win today, not just the usual suspects.

The rookies Bobby Crosby and Moneyball's #1 draft pick Nick Swisher hit back-to-back homeruns in the 8th today to save the A's for a 5-4 win and avoid a six game losing streak.

Guest Staravenger

And the Yankees hold off the Red Sox for another day, beating Baltimore 5-2. Orlando Hernandez pitched 7 innings, allowing only 1 run off of 5 hits. Palmiero & Mora both hit home runs for the Orioles for their two runs, and Mariano got the save.

Something happened between the Orioles third base coach and Jorge Posada after the game, but obviously no one knows what that was about yet.

Guest GreatOne

Well, I actually WILL live with us not being in the Series (or playoffs ftm)................

Guest Staravenger

On the bright side, at least the Yanks won today thanks to El Duque...again. 8-0 on the season, and going into the game, had a 2.62 ERA. I'm guessing that went down a little.

Guest Anglesault

Well, I actually WILL live with us not being in the Series

being in the Series isn't nearly as satisfying as fans of some teams want to make it.

Guest GreatOne

being in the Series isn't nearly as satisfying as fans of some teams want to make it.

So I guess winning the American League isn't an accomplishment................

Guest Anglesault

So I guess winning the American League isn't an accomplishment................

It is. So are a lot of things. Ultimately, it means very little.

You can without a doubt name the team that won the 1961 World Series. Can you name the team they beat? What about '27? The Oakland A's were a dynasty in the early 70s. Can you name all three teams they beat without looking it up or being an A's fan? I sure as hell can't. As "thrilling" as winning the league is, if you can't win it all, you get all the honor of being an obscure trivia question.

Guest Staravenger

For a pointless post, let's see...

2003: Florida beat NYY

2002: Anahiem beat SF Giants

2001: Arizona beat NYY

2000: Uh...NYY beat NYM?

1999: NYY beat Atlanta?

1998: NYY beat San Diego

1997: Florida beat Clevland

1996: NYY beat Atlanta

1995: Atlanta beat Clevland

1994: No World Series

1993: Um..Toronto beat Philadelphia?

1992: I give up

Guest Anglesault

It's easier to do it over the last 15 years or so, but in 20 or thirty years most of these will be "uh..." Yes, people will always remember who the Diamondbacks beat and probably who the Jays beat in 93. But in thirty years, I'll be damned if I can remember who the Angels beat.