TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
2GOLD

Nadar might hurt your chances?

Judge Orders Nader Name Off Fla. Ballot

43 minutes ago

By JACKIE HALLIFAX, Associated Press Writer

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Ralph Nader (news - web sites) can stay on Florida's ballot, at least until the end of the week when the state Supreme Court will make a final decision on his attempt to run for president as the Reform Party nominee.

The high court's decision Wednesday came about an hour after Circuit Judge P. Kevin Davey ordered that Nader be removed from the November ballot because the Reform Party isn't a legitimate party under state law.

The state Supreme Court will hear arguments on the issue Friday, and said it would settle the controversy before a Saturday deadline for mailing absentee ballots overseas.

"We're on the ballot, just not going anywhere," said Theresa Amato, Nader's campaign manager.

Democrats have sued to keep Nader off the ballot, arguing tthe Reform Party is no longer a legitimate national party and that Florida election laws requiring minor candidates to qualify by petition or through a nominating convention weren't followed.

The lawsuit is part of a national effort by Democrats to keep Nader off ballots in states where he could siphon votes from Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry (news - web sites).

Shawn O'Hara, national chairman of the Reform Party USA, blasted Davey's decision Wednesday, calling him "an incompetent and corrupt judge who has denied us due process of law."

Florida Secretary of State Glenda Hood, who was appointed by Gov. Jeb Bush, the president's brother, said she is opposing the Democrats' lawsuit "as an honest broker" to protect the state elections process by including Nader. She said elections supervisors are "under the gun" because absentee ballots need to be printed and mailed by Saturday.

George Meros, an attorney for Hood, told Davey that state law required a ruling in favor of a candidate if there was any doubt about getting on the ballot.

Most Democrats and many Republicans agree that Nader's presence on the 2000 ballot as the Green Party candidate cost Democrat Al Gore (news - web sites) the presidency. George W. Bush won Florida by 537 votes after a recount, a decision that gave him the White House.

---

I am so angry at the Democratic Party now. This is utter bull. I guess working harder to get the votes was just out of the question

And no, I'm not voting for Bush either. But I damn sure am not voting for Kerry now.

Has anyone seen the Ali G show where Ali suggests to Nader that they might harness energy from people who fart a lot?

Nader looks at him blankly for a second then says: "Well, we haven't found a way to strap boxes to cows' assholes yet." Cracked me up.

Whether his name is on the ballot or not should be besides the point, for any voter who has half a brain and still wants to vote for him, just write his name in. I think there are only maybe 2-3 states that don't allow write-in candidates.

The more Kerry campaigns, the more my mind is made up to vote for Nader.

It's nice to see that the Democrats are actively taking measures to disenfranchise voters.

But hey, they're just following the rules is all.

Guest MikeSC
It's nice to see that the Democrats are actively taking measures to disenfranchise voters.

Man, imagine the hue-and-cry if the GOP fought Perot as hard.

-=Mike

It sounds like the Democrats honestly believe that the people that would usually vote for Nader will instead vote for the Dems after they sued to get him off the ballot. I know I wouldn't vote for them if they did that, and it has nothing to do with following electoral rules: they wouldn't have given two shits if he wasn't a threat to their votes, and if they ran a competent campaign instead of just handing Bush another four years in the Oval Office like they've been doing from the start then they wouldn't have to worry about the Nader vote.

How does keeping Ralph Nader off of the ballot because his party isn't a major party (and they lacked the signatures to get him on the ballot anyways) cause people to be unable to vote?

I guess by that logic, everybody who is running for President has to be on the ballot because if they're not, then people will be rendered unable to vote.

Or something like that

I wasn't going to vote for him this time around anyway.

I'll write in vote for Bob Saget before I'll vote for Bush though.

Basically how I feel about Kerry and Bush. But this is just a pathetic measure by the Democratic Party.

I guess they truly believe now they'll get even more votes, cept for the fact they just totally pissed off the ones who WERE going to vote for Nader so now they definately won't vote for Kerry.

It's a stupid move by them and now it's going to come back to bite them in the backside.

It's just sad seeing an election that was basically the democrats to lose AGAIN and AGAIN they are finding ways to lose it.

I wasn't going to vote for him this time around anyway.

I'll write in vote for Bob Saget before I'll vote for Bush though.

I've heard that Saget sucked dick for coke.

And his obsession with cleanliness might be a sign of meth use

Basically how I feel about Kerry and Bush. But this is just a pathetic measure by the Democratic Party

HOW IS IT PATHETIC TO ASK HIM TO FOLLOW THE FUCKING RULES?

Because they shouldn't give a flying hell. The Republicans didn't sue to remove him, but in comes the Democratic party jumping up and down saying he should be out.

Let the Republicans be the ones to do something stupid, not give them more ammo to shoot.

It's like another last ditch effort to win votes in the stupidest plan possible.

No, it's a "last ditch effort" to make the man follow the, y'know, election rules.

I don't get where your big fucking orgy of anger is based in logic. If there's this groundswell of support for Nader in Florida, surely they could get the 10,000 signatures necessary to get him on the ballot, y'know, legitimately.

I was one of the people who did the petitioning to get that crazy screamer on the Virginia ballot. It wasn't too hard; my group accomplished our 2,500 signature goal in less than three weeks. I'm not sure why Nader seems to think it was too hard to get his name on the ballot legitimately, and I'm not sure why you're having an anti-Democrat hissy fit about their insistence that he follow the rules.

I can't resist...

9826.jpg

I want to get on the FL ballot without following the rules. Rules are for the establishment that we should abolish.

full_zell.jpg

You have got to be fucking kidding me! You goddamn hippie! Put down the peace pipe and the acid cuz I'm challenging you to a DUEL~!

9635.jpg

I don't think that kind of language is necessary here. Can't a man subvert the democratic process in peace?

gallery.zell.miller.jpg

Hell no, you pinko sissy! I even brought my posse with me, so let's throw down, ninny!

naderbig110200.jpg

Hah! I will make my getaway behind this wall of confetti! Muahahahaha!

0251617483_zell200.jpg

Goddamnit, he got away! I won't forget this, though, you chicken! ZELL MILLER IS ALWAYS READY TO DUEL FOR DEMOCRACY~!

Goddamnit, Tom is trying to muscle in on my Political Clown of Chaos spot. Fuck that.

::response forthcoming::

Fonz.jpg

Tyler, most of the democrats are making false accusations and challening Nader in court, because they know damn well he can't afford to defend himself, when the democrats have a seemingly endless flow of cash. It is a tactic to basically have it all tied up in court for a couple more months. Meanwhile your man Kerry is screwing up left and right, and can't find an effective way to go after Bush. If I were the democrats, I would be much more worried about my own representative, then Ralph Nader

Tyler, most of the democrats are making false accusations and challening Nader in court,

THEY'RE NOT FALSE! He is trying to get on the ballots without getting valid signatures.

Ok give me some facts then, not just rumors or "smoke" or democratic talking points from the campaign trail.....and hey man, why are you voting for Kerry anyway, I thought you were against the war?