TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Sony Shrinks the Playstation 2

_40093780_ps_2_203.jpg

The best-selling PlayStation 2 games console has been given a makeover, with a new slimmed-down, lightweight model due to go on sale in November.

The new PS2 is about half the size of the existing model and will sell for the same price of 149 euros (£99).

Sony has launched it in an attempt to widen the console's appeal and prolong its shelf-life.

Sales of the original PlayStation were boosted when Sony introduced a smaller version, dubbed the PSOne.

The redesign is part of Sony's strategy to maintain the PS2's lead over rival consoles.

Some 24 million machines have been sold in the PAL territories, which include the UK, since its launch November 2000.

NEW PLAYSTATION 2

Internal volume reduced by 75%

Size: 28x2.8x15.2cm

Weight: 900g

External power supply

Built-in Ethernet adapter 

The PS2 accounts for two-thirds of the consoles in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, according to Sony.

But traditionally console sales start to slip after they have been around for a few years and the PS2 is no exception.

Sony Computer aims to sell 14m PS2s in the year to March 2005, down from the peak sales of 22.52m units sold in 2003.

But Sony is determined to keep the PS2 alive. In August it dropped the price to £99, resulting in a jump in sales.

It is now hoping the thinner, sleeker design will tempt more people to buy a console, especially in the run-up to Christmas.

David Reeves, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, told BBC News Online that Sony was hoping that the price cut and redesign would increase PS2 sales worldwide by 15% by March 2005.

He said Sony was flying in more than four million new PS2s into the PAL territories straight from the manufacturing plant in Shanghai to meet expected demand.

Thinner, lighter

The new PS2 is mostly identical to current models. But the internal volume has been reduced by 75%, meaning it is half the weight and less than half the thickness of the existing console.

This has been partly by using an external power supply.

It also now comes with a built-in Ethernet port to allow gamers to play online.

The redesigned console is due to come on sale on 1 November, at the same price as the current model.

Sony is expected to unveil its next generation PlayStation at the annual E3 video games trade show in Los Angeles in May 2005.

It has not said when the new games machine will go on sale, but the PS2 went on sale in Japan almost a year after it was first unveiled.

Rivals Microsoft and Nintendo are also working on new consoles, which could also be unveiled at E3 show.

Aye I know, you only have to take one look at the X-Box for proof of that :D

And yet here I am with a Gamecube...hmm.

Oh, and I used the X-Box once as a weapon in an E-Fed wrestling match. was kinda fun to do. This is when X-Box first came out.

More info

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/18/news_6107820.html

RUMOR #1: Sony will release the PStwo, a scaled-down version of the PlayStation 2, on October 26.

Source: Sources running the gamut from Reuters to SPOnG.

The official story: "Sony has not announced any new product line and any reports saying such are pure speculation."--Sony spokesperson.

What we heard: This week there were reports galore that Sony will release a scaled-down version of the PlayStation 2 in a matter of weeks. Some sites even went so far as to predict the machine's design will be similar to the Sony DVP-F41MS DVD player (pictured), which is about three quarters the current PS2's size. But while there has been talk of a reworked PStwo for weeks, all the recent reports trace back to one report by American Technology Research analyst PJ McNealy. Released last Friday, that report stated there was a possibility that the PStwo would launch October 26 because "October 26 is also the four-year anniversary of the launch of the PS2 in North America, and Sony is very fond of making announcements or launches near or on anniversaries."

The McNealy report was then cited in a Hollywood Reporter article, which was in turn quoted by Reuters, and then republished on dozens of game sites. However, just as the PStwo's October 26 launch was being cited as fact by many news outlets, a subsequent McNealy report reminded the public that he had only said there would be a "possibility [that] a PStwo launch in Japan could be announced" at next week's Sony executive meeting in Japan.

Bogus or not bogus?: Eventually not bogus. Given that Sony has trademarked "PStwo," it's just a matter of time until a device arrives, and that time may be sooner rather than later…

Guest El Satanico

Sounds like Sony's announcement was unintentionally spoiled, so now Sony is denying it all.

That would make it look like Sony is ran by WWe.

I take it this version will also support Progressive Scan? At least, I hope it would. The built in ethernet port is fucking awesome, that's for sure.

If Sony really is re-designing the PS2, all I care about is that they fix that ridiculous Disc Read Error issue that has plagued their entire customer base for years. Progressive Scan and lower prices be damned.

The only thing that would *really* get me excited about this, would be if it were set as a default to play import games.

However, that wouldn't happen. It would be nice if that feature would be included if/when they'd release the PSX here. As an enthusiast machine, you'd think that would be a good feature to include.

As it is, the PS2 is a total bitch to import-ready.

The only thing that would *really* get me excited about this, would be if it were set as a default to play import games.

However, that wouldn't happen. It would be nice if that feature would be included if/when they'd release the PSX here. As an enthusiast machine, you'd think that would be a good feature to include.

I think you mentioned once that you had a flip-top case.. If so, where'd you get it from?

However, that wouldn't happen.  It would be nice if that feature would be included if/when they'd release the PSX here.  As an enthusiast machine, you'd think that would be a good feature to include. 

I think you mentioned once that you had a flip-top case.. If so, where'd you get it from?

No, I was looking for a flip-top case, with no luck. As for where to find it--meh, beats me. I tried, and eventually gave up and got an X-Box because I mainly wanted to convert it for Metal Slug 3.

However, a friend of mine in interested in modifying his PS2 or getting a flip-top case. So I'm on the hunt for something like that for him. Renegade has a "Slide Tool" but has had some problems with it.

Worst of all, even with the flip top or slide tool, you still need Magic Swap discs to play imports.

...aaaand Gamespot confirms the new PS2.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/21/news_6107997.html

Redesigned $149 PS2 to launch November 1

After weeks of dancing around the subject of its existence, Sony finally unveils a slimmed-down version of its console. First pictures inside.

Although it said as recently as last Friday that rumors of a redesigned PlayStation 2 were "pure speculation," today Sony unveiled a radically redesigned version of the device.

Although not named the "PStwo" as many had expected, the PlayStation 2 SCPH-70000 CB has a "completely new look" that its forebear, the SCPH-50000. Actually, "radically" might be a bit of an overstatement, since, by its own admission, the new PS2 does have the "the basic functions and design philosophy of the current PlayStation 2."

However, the new console is smaller--much smaller--than previous estimates, which said it would be three-quarters the size of the original PlayStation 2. In fact, the SCPH-70000 CB is 75 percent smaller than the original, with its width now only 1.1 inches (2.8 cm), down from 3.07 inches (7.8cm). "The internal design architecture has been completely overhauled," according to Sony. The SCPH-70000 CB will also have less than half the heft of the original PS2, weighing in at a mere 1.98 pounds (900g). "Its size is almost as small as a hardcover book," said Sony Computer Entertainment in a statement. So far, the console is only available in one color--charcoal black.

Besides being smaller, the new PS2 will also have more functionality, with an Ethernet port built into the device, and will launch "network ready." Previously, a now-bulkily-looking Ethernet adapter had to be bought separately for $39.99. It will have the same two memory card and dual controller slots as the first PS2, as will come with a sole dualshock controller. A new, round base for vertical display will be sold separately.

Speaking of cost, SCEA officials confirmed the new PS2 would retail at the same price point as the current model--$149 in the US, 149 Euros ($181) in Europe--when it goes on sale November 1, just over a week after its rumored October 26 release date. In Japan, the unit will go on sale on November 3 for an "open price" (no MSRP).

The complete specs for the new PlayStation 2 are as follows (electrical specs are for the US and Japanese models only):

Product Name - PlayStation 2

Color - Charcoal Black

Product Code - SCPH-70000 CB

Dimensions - 230 mm (W) ×28 mm (H) ×152 mm (D)

*internal volume about 23% of the current model

Weight - Approximately 900g

*weight about 45% of the current model

Power requirements - DC 8.5V

Electrical current consumption - (power consumption) Approximately 5.3A (approximately 45W)

Compatible format - PlayStation format CD-ROM

PlayStation 2 format CD-ROM

PlayStation 2 format DVD-ROM

Audio CD

DVD-Video*

DVD-RW (VR mode)

*the term "DVD-Video" is used to refer to DVD-R, DVD-RW (Video mode), DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.

Interfaces Controller Port x 2

MEMORY CARD slot x 2

USB connector x 2

NETWORK connector x 1 (100BASE-TX/10BASE-T)

DC IN 8.5V connector x 1

AV MULTI OUT connector x 1

DIGITAL OUT(OPTICAL) connector x 1

Included PlayStation 2 console x 1

Analog Controller(DUALSHOCK®2) x 1

AV Cable (integrated audio/video) x 1

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot

POSTED: 09/21/04 08:13 AM PST

$149? Not too shabby. I might trade in my "regular" PS2 for one of these.. mainly for the built-in networking abilities and the fact that it's so small. I have too much electronical junk in my entertainment unit as it is right now.

Gonna wait to see if there are any hardware problems with it first, though.

"It will have the same two memory card and dual controller slots as the first PS2, as will come with a sole dualshock controller. A new, round base for vertical display will be sold separately."

Blargh--multi taps will still need to be purchased separately.

"Gonna wait to see if there are any hardware problems with it first, though. "

Good idea. I thought my PS2 was croaking since it didn't want to play DVDs and most games...but with a lens cleaning it was good as new. Well, it's 3 years old and I don't know long it will last, so I'll probably pick up one for a spare.

Plus, it's good for folks who wanted a PS2 but thought they were too expensive. The older, bulkier units will be available pretty easily used for a better price once this hits.

"Although not named the "PStwo" as many had expected, the PlayStation 2 SCPH-70000 CB has a "completely new look" that its forebear, the SCPH-50000."

Surely they're going to either call it the PStwo or come up with some catchy marketing name, though...

I'd get the new one(my PS2 was bought at launch) except I'd have to mod it again, and there's no telling when or if a fliptop would be made.

Andy- Here's a site for the fliptop.

The Magic Swap discs can be bought along with the fliptop for eighteen bucks extra. Assembly of the fliptop is easy as hell. Just make sure you get the fliptop for the right version of the PS2 you're modding. It's well worth the small effort. I'm going to go play some Fire Pro Z now. :)

I'd get the new one(my PS2 was bought at launch) except I'd have to mod it again, and there's no telling when or if a fliptop would be made.

Andy- Here's a site for the fliptop.

The Magic Swap discs can be bought along with the fliptop for eighteen bucks extra. Assembly of the fliptop is easy as hell. Just make sure you get the fliptop for the right version of the PS2 you're modding. It's well worth the small effort. I'm going to go play some Fire Pro Z now. :)

Thanks!! I ordered a flip top, swap discs, and with shipping it only cost me 37.

Usually when I'd find that stuff on Ebay they'd be charging a lot more.

Guest wildpegasus
If Sony really is re-designing the PS2, all I care about is that they fix that ridiculous Disc Read Error issue that has plagued their entire customer base for years. Progressive Scan and lower prices be damned.

COmpletely agree with this.

Imagine how small Nintendo could make the Gamecube and then they could sell the thing for $79...

You can get used GCs for that much anyway.

I'd rather Nintendo worry about getting people to, you know, make games for the Cube. That and maybe redesign that pad's stupid-looking control layout.

Imagine how small Nintendo could make the Gamecube and then they could sell the thing for $79...

You can get used GCs for that much anyway.

I'd rather Nintendo worry about getting people to, you know, make games for the Cube. That and maybe redesign that pad's stupid-looking control layout.

Yes. I think focusing on not making the Gamecube a glorified paper weight [which is what mine is right now] should be Nintendo's top priority when it comes to that sad excuse for a gaming console.

Meatwad: you rock. I just got the flip top today. Although "white" looks more like "vanilla," it came very fast. :) The "CD version" and "DVD version" of the swap discs--is the CD version for PS1 games and the DVD version for PS2 games, or will the CD version only work on early PS2 games (I'd heard that the original PS2 games were mostly CDs)?

It's not too big a deal since my friend already has a game enhancer for PS1 that will let him play imports--but I'm curious.

Hm--the long-rumored PSTwo is announced to launch before the DS--coincidence?

I'm still wondering what they're going to do about the Hard Disk option.. I can't find any info about it. Hmmm

No, it won't come with an already-installed HDD. In fact, the HDD already released WILL NOT EVEN WORK with this version.

A spokesperson from Sony has recently confirmed that the HDD peripheral for the PlayStation 2 will NOT be compatible with the new slimmer PSTwo design.

"The new PlayStation 2 was designed to be slimmer and more lightweight, and the current manufacturing, as well as capacity and design of the internal Hard Disk Drive would not allow for inclusion in the new hardware model. The design of the new hardware is not a sign of Sony Computer Entertainment's change in philosophy regarding the Hard Disc Drive. The internal Hard Disc Drive will continue to be sold in North America and Sony Computer Entertainment America will offer related services and customer support."

"Consumers who want and use the Hard Disk Drive are typically the more 'hard core' gamers, and with more than 27 million PlayStation 2 units already sold in North America, we feel that a majority of those HDD interested consumers already have their PlayStation 2 units. We are also looking into other memory options that would be compatible with the new PlayStation 2."