TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ced

Tekken: The Live Action Movie

Disclaimer: I have no idea how credible this website is, but it involves a video game movie, so here you go.

Source: killermovies.com

'Tekken' Movie Adaptation In Early Development

[Monday, September 20th, 2004]

Director Charles Stone III says that his video-game adaptation of 'Tekken' is still in early stages of development. "We got the writers going on it," Stone told Sci-Fi Wire. "But I do want to investigate K-1 fighting—it's out of Japan—and then the ultimate fighting competitions that are sprouting up all over the place. I want to investigate those and just look at the history of the gladiator world through the past."

The movie is based on the best-selling Namco video game, which Stone says will borrow as much from real life as he does from previous martial-arts films. "I'm kind of interested [in] getting back to the whole sports super-conglomerate, Nike thing, and also drugs and steroids and the whole anabolic madness," Stone said. "Right now I'm framing it after sort of Enter the Dragon as a backdrop, but again, more realistic and more accessible. I want it to seem like it can really happen in today's society, despite how grand and superhuman the characters are."

Stone adds that some original characters may be missing from the movie. "We're probably not even using some of the more special-effects-laden characters," Stone said. "We'll see how that all comes together. It's all open right now."

I guess avoiding things like Ogre, Devil Kazuya, and the Jacks are to be expected since that reduces the chances of Street Fighter: The Movie Redux~! in my eyes. But it sounds like we're probably just going to get a generic Hollywood script smoothie here, chockfull of cliches and stolen ideas from better movies, with the Tekken logo name slapped onto it.

I saw it on RottenTomatoes too.

"Right now I'm framing it after sort of Enter the Dragon as a backdrop, but again, more realistic and more accessible. I want it to seem like it can really happen in today's society, despite how grand and superhuman the characters are."

...that sounds almost exactly how That ****ing Hack Who Made AVP approached MK, and it was done very, very well. So kudos.

The Tekken OVA sucked too, so I have no major issues with this approach. Tekken's full storyline would be really, really stupid if they converted it to a movie with little alterations.

"Mr Van Damme, we'd like you to look at this script. It's for a movie called Tekken. Mr Norris, Mr Seagel, and Mr Blanks were very excited about it. As was Mr Bernhardt. We think you'll just LOVE it, it fits you perfectly."

And if all those actors star...I'm first in line.

Eh, it sounds like it could be pretty good. If they have a Mishima as the villian, they don't need any Ogres or Devils to have a decent story. A Quest style tourney with Tekken style marshall arts would be fun. The fights need to have a Tekken feel to them though. If they have Kazuya fighting like some UFC guy, that would suck.

"Mr Van Damme, we'd like you to look at this script. It's for a movie called Tekken. Mr Norris, Mr Seagel, and Mr Blanks were very excited about it. As was Mr Bernhardt. We think you'll just LOVE it, it fits you perfectly."

And if all those actors star...I'm first in line.

Screw those guys. Okay, maybe Seagal for Ganryu, but I can't quite see him mackin' on Michelle...

They probably could still work Jack in--but if so get this guy for the part: andrew_bryniarski.jpg

sfmzan-3.jpg

:)

Sounds awful. Why even bother making it if it's not going to have key characters?

Devil wasn't a key character until T2 anyway. In Tekken he the ultimate boss you'd only fight once unlocking Heihachi.

Anybody else want to see HHH as Paul or Benoit as King?

For some reason, I could see Lance Storm being suited for King. I dunno why, but something about the way King moves always made me think of Lance Storm.

King is Mexican. Neither Storm or HHH would make much sense.

King wears a mask so it does not matter! But for some reason I fear that Nathan Jones will be in this movie.

You can see his skin and he'd probably talk. I doubt he'd wear his mask all the time too.

Luchadore super heroes never take off their mask. Did El Santo or Blue Demon ever take off their mask in their movies?

Fine Hotstuff Hernandez can be King.

King always seemed a bit too large to me to be a true luchadore. Sure, there's guys like La Parka, Psychosis, etc, but those are in the minority, and usually the bigger luchas are rudos. Clearly King was always portrayed as the heroic technico type, friend to children, slayer of demons, etc, etc. like El Santo.

Of course, maybe he could get away with it because of the rudo Armor King, who probably was a constant thorn in his side.

Yeah, but not at first...

Tekken 1 History 

Armor King has travelled from one wrestling ring to another in search of a worthy opponent. He met his match in a Mexican village. They became bitter rivals for many years to come. Years ago, during a match, King made a mistake and smashed one of Armor King's eyes. Afterwards, King bathed in the spotlight of the Pro Wrestling World while Armor King went down the opposite road. 

Tekken 2 History

Unfortunately, King's attempt at winning the tournament and the cash prize ended in a failure. Soon after, King chose the path of a drunkard, stopped entering wrestling tournaments and disappeared for large amounts of time. King felt as if he did not deserve to own the powers of the enchanted Jaguar mask.

Armor King became worried for his friend/rival and intervened just in time as King was at the edge of a breakdown. He eventually finds King drunk in an alley. Armor King threw a leopard ask at his feet and told King of the 2nd Iron Fist tournament and his second chance at building the orphanage of his dreams.

With that said, King came to his senses and began a furious training regime. Deep down inside, Armor King wanted to defeat his rival once and for all.

If we assume they're starting from the beginning of the Tekken storyline, they shouldn't be buddies.

And then, in Tekken 3, the original King is retired, and a new King is masked. He is trained by Armor King, and the two become close friends, and so it troubles King when Armor King is found to have cancer (or something similar, right?).

Yeah. I'll watch the movie as long as King is given some good time, and it's not all about Kazuya.

The original King from Tekken 1 and 2 was killed by Ogre. One of the orphens he raised takes the mask and becomes the new King, trained by Armor King. Later Craig Marduk killed Armor King in a bar fight and King's been out for revenge since.

Armor King was good, even in the first tournament. Just because he's rivals with King doesn't mean he's evil. AK has ties to Jinpachi Mishima and Wang, who were both good, and was trying to help take down Heihachi, who is the main villain.

For the sake of telling a simple story he would probably be made evil in the movie though.

I doubt King would be given much time in a movie. He's not really that important to the story. The movie should be about Kazuya. That's what Tekken is all about. If the movie's not going to be Kazuya's quest to kill his father then there's no real point in doing a movie based on Tekken.

The whole talk of steroids and UFC fighting really makes me nervous. If he wants to make a movie about that, why use the Tekken characters and story?

Never said A. King was "evil," I just said that he was probably just King's main heel foil when they wrestled. Don't know where you're getting that from. :P

Of course, from what I heard about more detailed backstory, the mask is magical and yadda, yadda.

Kazuya's an evil guy only really going on revenge, so if they try to make him a sympathic character it's going to be really lame. Plus, he's stupid too. Considering his dad pitched him off a cliff and he survived, shouldn't he have made sure he'd really done Heihachi in? And where does Heih's flaming homosexual step-son Lee fit into all this? :P

The storyline is bad no matter how you slice it. With Kazuya, it's kinda like this:

Heih runs an EVIL CORPORATION!~ Heih tries to kill Kazuya by pitching him off a cliff...Kazuya tries to kill Heihachi by pitching him off a cliff...Heihachi comes back and pitches him off a cliff...later on he learn that apparently Heih had his son experimented on with devil DNA....

Whatever. If you cut out the devil stuff, it's still really stupid.

The story will suck, so that's why it seems they want to focus on the fighting. You're right to worry about that...what does this guy know about filming a martial arts movie?

Because heel = evil.

They'll probably make Kazuya sympathetic, if they even follow any of the story at all.

I just hope Namco doesn't start making the character traits from the movie canon like Midway did with MK.

Because heel = evil.

Obviously I meant during their wrestling days, i.e. just in kayfabe. Not in the fashion that he's a total bad guy in the game. His participation in the Tekken games were mainly for competition, not "I want to kill King." Prior to that, though, they had a rivalry going.

They'll probably make Kazuya sympathetic, if they even follow any of the story at all.

That would suck. Hey, he only has tried to kill a lot of people, was quite an unscrupulous SOB himself when he took over the Mishima empire, and then there's Namco USA's complete lack of an explanation of how Jun and him got together...well, one can assume certain details were left out of the full explanation for matters of good taste.

(from the Tekken Zaibatsu)

The King of Iron Fist Tournament 2 Draws to a close. Jun Kazama comes to the stunning realization that Kazuya's supernatural strength stems from Devil. But she cannot help being drawn to him, propelled by a mystic force beyond her control.

Riiiiiiight.

So a murderer, criminal, businessman involved in shady dealings, rapist; all in all, sounds like a hell of a guy. :P

I just hope Namco doesn't start making the character traits from the movie canon like Midway did with MK.

?

How about they just say fuck it, and bring Ong Bak over here instead?

It might have to be dubbed, but with the success of Hero, I don't see why it can't make money.

Since the MK movie came out Midway has been taking things from it and making them canon in the MK story. Like the Liu Kang/Kitana romance, Kano being Australian and Reptile's lizard appearance.

Usually they don't even explain the change. They just suddenly happen.

Why not just copy the cliche Bruce Lee/Van Damme movie of fighting tourny using Tekken characters?

If Bolo Yeung is still around, maybe they can cast him is Heihachi and give Jean-Claude Van Damme the Paul Phoenix role. Chong Li vs Frank Dux II! Bolo finally goes over!

Then they can grab Bob Sapp and let him play Craig Marduk...

I could probably do a full Wizard Casting Call for this movie, but I won't.