TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter Thread

Guest Smues

Oh great I just read that the reason Thompson left early was back injury. The whole team gets injured early in the season, and now right before the playoffs.

If anything, this absolute implosion will force the team to make some changes during the off season. No need to tear it apart or anything, but something's just not right. I think a lot of the coaching staff needs to go; judging by the Cubs' hitting, Sarge Matthews is an absolutely terrible hitting coach. But then again, you didn't have to look much further than his own son to see that.

Considering all the Braves have done this season, I really wouldn't be too upset to see them win it all. Bobby Cox basically turned water into wine again; with less than he had to work with, as usual. No Javy, Sheffield or Maddux; not to mention the injuries they went through and the awful season Chipper Jones had been having until the last two months of the season. My hat's off to Cox. He deserves the Manager of the Year and I hope the Braves can dispose of their first round opponent, since I can't stand either one of them.

And it's sorta ironic that the team that the Cubs knocked off last year is the going to be the same one that knocks them off this season. Crazy game.

If anything, this absolute implosion will force the team to make some changes during the off season. No need to tear it apart or anything, but something's just not right. I think a lot of the coaching staff needs to go; judging by the Cubs' hitting, Sarge Matthews is an absolutely terrible hitting coach. But then again, you didn't have to look much further than his own son to see that.

Weird. Matthews was the Jays hitting coach in 2000, when they were the AL leaders in homers (and had 4 guys with 30, like the Cubs did this year). Yet, they had a poor team OBP and were in the middle of the pack in runs/game.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Its almost unreal to see it happen again today. The Cubs, and most likely the A's, will be able to comfort each other and cry themselves to sleep for being the biggest chokers in years.

What the hell...

I got MLBTV for games like the A's/Angels today, and it won't let me watch because of "blackout"...

Typically, MLBTV only blacks out when its a local (Royals) game or if its on national TV... neither of which is the case here

How do you think I feel? Since I live just outside the Bay Area I have to rely on a Sacramento station to pick up the game and they decided not to today.

Angles tie the game with a Vlad homerun in the top of the 6th and the A's answer back with two in the bottom of the inning. 4-2 A's heading to the 7th.

Assholes by the Bay are up 3-0 on the Dodgers. Damnit you bums don't choke!

Guest Anglesault

I missed the beginning of the game. Apparently, if it wasn't for Enrique Wilson in general, Brown would have looked even more impressive.

PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies fired manager Larry Bowa, two sources confirmed to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark.

In addition, pitching coach Joe Kerrigan will resign, two newspapers reported Saturday, citing unidentified sources.

The Phillies have called a 6 p.m. press conference Saturday.

The Philadelphia Inquirer said in print editions that an announcement on Bowa's departure is expected next week and that Kerrigan will leave. The Philadelphia Daily News reported on its Web site that Bowa will lose his job and in print editions that Kerrigan will offer his resignation after Sunday's final game of the season.

Phillies spokeswoman Leigh Tobin wouldn't comment on the reports Saturday, and general manager Ed Wade did not immediately return a phone message.

Wade declined to give Bowa an endorsement in late August, saying the coaching staff would be evaluated after the season.

Bowa, a popular shortstop on Philadelphia's 1980 World Series championship team, led the Phillies to winning records in three of his four seasons as manager, including a second-place finish in the NL East this year (85-75 entering Saturday's home game against the Florida Marlins).

Still, the Phillies were expected to contend for a title this season with a $93 million payroll and a new All-Star closer, a revamped bullpen and a promising starting rotation.

Injuries and inconsistency, though, spoiled the first season in their new ballpark. Bowa said after Friday's win over the Marlins that the results would have been different if three-fifths of the starting rotation and key relievers had not missed chunks of the season with injuries.

"I didn't have my team," Bowa said. "It was a tougher haul."

Bowa succeeded Terry Francona as manager before the 2001 season. Entering Saturday, Bowa was 337-308 with the Phillies. He had an 81-127 record in 1½ seasons with San Diego in 1987-88.

Guest Anglesault
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Turns out there is a clock in baseball.

The Minnesota Twins and Cleveland Indians were tied at 5-all after 11 innings Saturday when the game was suspended because the Metrodome field needed to be changed over for the later Penn State-Minnesota football game.

``I didn't even know anything about it,'' Minnesota outfielder Lew Ford said. ``When everyone started walking off the field I thought they were kidding at first.''

``I guess the crowd knew, though, because they all left immediately,'' he added.

The Twins posted a message on the big screen when the game went to extra innings that no inning could start after 2:30 p.m. As soon as Justin Morneau grounded out to end the 11th inning at 2:33, the seats emptied and the makeover began.

Many of the Twins didn't like it.

ADVERTISEMENT

``We battle our butts off and then it's over,'' exclaimed Torii Hunter. ``That's terrible.''

``We're in the middle of a mess now,'' said manager Ron Gardenhire, who couldn't contain his anger. ``We don't need a stadium? C'mon.''

Penn State and 18th-ranked Minnesota were to start at 7 p.m. and stadium workers immediately began to the cover the dirt, paint the field lines and color in logos.

``I'm not saying anything about the college, I respect them and all sports, but we're trying to clinch home field here,'' reliever Juan Rincon said. ``It doesn't make it any easier for us at home where we should be at home.''

The Twins and Indians will resume at 1:10 p.m. Sunday, followed by the regularly scheduled season finale between the two teams.

The AL Central champion Twins can still begin the playoffs at home if they beat the Indians twice on Sunday and Oakland beats Anaheim either Saturday or Sunday. In that case Minnesota would host Boston in Game 1 of the division series on Tuesday; otherwise the Twins would open at the New York Yankees.

Cleveland's Grady Sizemore will enter the resumption just a double shy of the cycle. After three at-bats Sizemore was on the brink of the cycle, but he walked to lead off the seventh and grounded out in the ninth. Josh Phelps also homered for the Indians.

AP - Oct 2, 4:15 pm EDT

More Photos

Indians manager Eric Wedge was aware the game could come to a quick halt.

``I knew we were in trouble when they came up to us and said, 'Not to worry, in 11 years it's never happened,''' he said.

``This gives new meaning to a 'no-decision,''' added starter Jake Westbrook.

Lew Ford was a season-high 4-for-6 with three runs scored for Minnesota.

Sizemore led off the game with his first career triple and scored on Coco Crisp's RBI single. Casey Blake made it 2-0 with an RBI groundout.

Minnesota got one run back in the bottom of the inning on Torii Hunter's RBI single. Sizemore hit his fifth homer, off Carlos Silva with one out in the fifth, to make it 3-1.

The Twins came back to tie it in the bottom half. Henry Blanco led off with a double, moved to third on Ford's single and scored on Jason Kubel's sacrifice fly. Ford also moved up on the sacrifice fly and scored from second on Justin Morneau's two-out single to make it 3-all.

Phelps hit a 412-foot shot off Silva with one out in the fifth as Cleveland regained the lead 4-3. It was Phelps' 17th homer of the year.

Again the Twins came back, with a run on Luis Rivas' sacrifice fly off Westbrook.

With the scored tied 4-all, Cleveland scored a run against the Twins bullpen in the seventh to take the lead. J.C. Romero walked Sizemore and, two outs later, Blake hit an RBI single off Grant Balfour.

The Twins tied the game for the third time with a run off Westbrook in the bottom of the inning. Ford led off with his fourth hit, and third infield single, and moved to third on Kubel's single to right. Ford scored when Hunter grounded into a double play.

Whaaaa?

A's bullpen is up to it's old tricks.

Assholes by the Bay still up 3-0.

Oh please I can't put up with A's not in the playoffs and the son of bitches in the playoffs.

Guest Anglesault
Come on Choakland, hurry up and choke so the Angels can get into the playoffs

You have to remind them that it's early October. That will start the Chokage.

Guest webmasterofwrestlegame

Erstad 2 run double! Yes!

Tied game!

Vlad now up!

The A's franchise is doomed if they don't come back in these last two innings and if the Dodgers choke in the West.

This fucking bullpen and Mulder's collapse are costing them the season.

Garrett Anderson drives home Erstad!

6 more outs!

Guest Anglesault
The A's franchise is doomed if they don't come back in these last two innings and if the Dodgers choke in the West.

This fucking bullpen and Mulder's collapse are costing them the season.

Well, at least they were competitive.

Actually now I'm kinda sad the Cubs are out of the playoffs, because Miss Slayer comes from a Cubs family and thus she'd actually watch the playoffs with me instead of, well, not...

Now, choosing who I want to go between LA, SF and Houston is like choosing which tooth I want root canaled.

K-Rod lives up to his name...fanning 3 in a row.

3 more outs!

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Payroll cut, Beane will leave, .500 baseball next year.

Franchsie out of Oakland in three years.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Yes!

Anaheim Angels: American League West Champions 2004!

It will take a few days to sink in - it seemed so far away a month ago.

It wouldn't be the Angels if it wasn't a comeback, and that 5-4 win had clutch hitting, great pitching, and great team work!

Guest Staravenger
Yes!

Anaheim Angels: American League West Champions 2004!

It's a celebration, bitch! Too bad the Red Sox will clobber them in the ALDS this week.