TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter Thread

WOW!!!!!!

I still can't believe what happened today. To see the Angels and The Dodgers clinch a playoff berth in the same day was fucking awesome. Just a great day here in L.A., now hopefully the Dodgers will go on to win it all against the Yankees.

And I just saw that mlb.com said Larry Bowa is toast. I'm glad, just for the fact that now I won't have to listen to the FIRE LARRY BOWA crowd everytime they lose 3 in a row.

To be replaced with: "fire Ed Wade!"

Guest GreatOne

Have the Angels and Dodgers ever won divisions in the same year prior to '04?

Guest Staravenger
Fox just wants the Yankees to make the series, and play the Red Sox in the LCS so that they can show the Buckner clip four times a fucking game.

I don't mind them showing it. Obviously because I find it to be one of the funniest goof-ups in recent history...right next to Knoblauch letting a routine ground ball go RIGHT PAST HIM...and then STANDING THERE while someone rounded third and scored in a playoff game a few years back.

Or maybe it was a non-playoff game vs. the Mets...either way, F-U-N-N-Y.

Guest Smues

And Houstin wins 9-3, putting them one up on the Giants with 1 game left. They've clinched a tie for the wildcard, and only need to win tommorow or for SF to lose to get in the wildcard. Huzzah huzzah. (on the negative side I just know they'll take out Atlanta in the playoffs. They'll hype how Atlanta has murdered them in the post season, then they'll take the series it'll be redemption or something like that).

Steve FUCKING Finley, You have got to be shittin me.

DePodesta didn't pull the trigger on Finley, he was a hand wrapped gift from the Joe Garigiola Jr and the Arizona Diamondbacks.

I can't stand LA winning the west.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we have another thread next week about how MLB wants a Red Sox/Yankees ALCS again so the Angels and Twins will get BUTT-fucked on every call?

What the Fuck are you talking about. I have never started a thread about that, I have however made posts about it. But I have never felt strongly enough about it to start an actual thread.

I don't like the dodgers winning because I know how weak that team is on starting pitching and will most likely get swept by the Cardinals. Plus, I just plain don't like the Dodgers.

Guest GreatOne
I don't like the dodgers winning because I know how weak that team is on starting pitching and will most likely get swept by the Cardinals. Plus, I just plain don't like the Dodgers

So you don't like seeing the team you hate being swept?

At least AngleSault pulls for the Sox to win so the Yankees can beat them eventually, but this............................

Would you RATHER the Pads were the ones that got swept by the Cards?

Simple scenarios tomorrow. If Houston wins, or San Francisco loses, the Astros make the playoffs. If Houston loses and San Francisco wins, we'll have a one game playoff Monday at SBC Park.

Ugh. Stupid Rockies. But like the Cubs, the Giants really aren't good enough to be in the postseason. If that ninth inning didn't reveal a great deal of the flaws that's held this team back all season, I don't know what did.

And what's with firing Bowa now with TWO games left in the season? This couldn't wait until tomorrow night?

Today was a big letdown in a lot of ways. I was wanting to see a more interesting scenario for tomorrow. As in hoping to see a wild 3 team race for the wild card with the Astros, Giants, and Cubs...but of course that isn't happening now. The Cubs coughed up another one today, but I wasn't even sad...I expected it once they put Farnsworth in with a shaky 1 run lead. Fitting isn't it?

The Dodgers are better than the Padres, so I don't think they'll get swept by the Cardinals. They'll at least win 1 game, might even take it the full 5 but I can't see them winning that series.

If there's one thing I know, it's that the Braves own the Astros in the postseason...now that I say it watch Houston sweep them.

I think the Yanks should lose tomorrow and Sox win just so they can finish all of ONE game ahead...it'd just frustrate and piss off the Sox fans all the more, heh.

If there's one thing I can take consolation in, it's that the A's might have tanked worse than the Cubs. God, they had a series against the team that was tied with them and proceeded to flop in two straight at home.

Guest Anglesault
Actually I think with the exception of the Twins, cause at least with the Halos you can pimp Vlad, there's probably not a 'bad' (ratings-wise) team in the playoffs................

I'd say just about any combination of Yankees or Red Sox vs. an NL team is a ratings draw.

Yankees especially, because the Cards and Bums have old time history with them, the Asstros have Roger and the Braves can't beat the Yankees in a meaningful game.

Guest Anglesault

In case anyone cares, it looks like RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBEN will manage the last game.

Edited by Anglesault

Anyone else think the Astros might be a little dumb in throwing Clemens tomorrow?

The worst they can do tomorrow is end up in a tie, so if you pitch Clemens and he somehow loses to Colorado (and SF wins), now you've got to go with Backe or Hernandez in the tiebreaker.

On the other hand, even if he wins, you're stuck with Backe or Hernandez in Game 1 of the LDS, which I don't think I want.

Just seems to be a bit risky to me. Why not set it up so your best arm is trying to either save your season or win Game 1?

I just think it's dumb to have a guy pitch on three day's rest, even if it is Clemens. How's their postseason rotation going to look should they make the postseason? I'd assume Clemens would either be one or two, which would mean that he'll be pitching in three outings in a shade over a week.

In case anyone cares, it looks like RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBEN will manage the last game.

All of a sudden Joe Torre loves Ruben Sierra. Something tells me the 1996 Ruben Sierra would not have been given this opportunity

Guest Smues

I just saw on ESPN that the Twins game today was suspended until tommorow because they had a college football game in the Metrodome tonight. That's pretty lame.

Guest Anglesault

All of a sudden Joe Torre loves Ruben Sierra. Something tells me the 1996 Ruben Sierra would not have been given this opportunity

Really? Whatever would cause you to think such a thing?

And while yes, if they still had the 96 relationship, Ruben wouldn't be the manager, calling it an "opportunity" kind of overstates the importance. He's allowing Rubes (or whomever he chooses) to have a little bit of fun for a day with the team in a meaningless game.

I just think it's dumb to have a guy pitch on three day's rest, even if it is Clemens. How's their postseason rotation going to look should they make the postseason? I'd assume Clemens would either be one or two, which would mean that he'll be pitching in three outings in a shade over a week.

Actually, I think that IF the Astros make the playoffs (no tempting the Baseball Gods) their series with the Dodgers would start on Wednesday. That would let Oswalt go in game 1 on his regular 4 days rest, then come back with Clemens on his 4 days rest. Then Backe (I'd think, since there's no way in hell I'd let Carlos Hernandez or Pete Munro anywhere near the mound in a game situation) in game 3.

Again, that's just what I heard. Don't know if that's how it's going down though.

Guest Wart

If the Astros make the playoffs and Oswalt goes game 1 and Clemens game 2, wouldnt they still be going on just 3 days rest? Oswalt would get Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday off, Clemens would get Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

EDIT: Im hoping its Backe-Oswalt-Clemens for the first 3 games since I have tickets to game 3 :D

EDIT2: The series would actually be against the Braves

Yeah you're right. Damn me and my lack of basic calendar reading skills!

Still though I'd go ahead and run Clemens out there tomorrow (well, today now). You need to go with your best available shot, and right now Roger is about as good as it gets. Worry about a playoff game if you need to, but if you can avoid it entirely so much the better.

Another great example of why both the Twins need a fucking stadium.

Either way i'm inclined to think the Twins won't win either game tomorrow. They never seem to win extra inning games, and J.D. Durbin is pitching the final game. So it look's like it's at New York Tuesday night.

Nothing more can be said about Houston. TCB and you're in. Yeah, the pitching schedule is screwy for the playoffs but if they win tomorrow. At least Oswalt will have a full rest. I'd start him game 2. Either Backe and Hernandez will have to pitch Game 1 or 2. Than Clemens can go out on an extra's days rest Saturday.

Guest Anglesault
Another great example of why both the Twins need a fucking stadium.

I think "damn ugly" should be more than enough...

The Yankees have won 100+ games this season, giving them three consecutive seasons of 100 wins. This is the fifth franchise to accomplish that, and none of them have been Yankee squads. The other four were the 29-31 Athletics, 42-44 Cardinals, 69-71 Orioles, and 97-99 Braves.

As far as the Bowa firing goes, he needed to go, but Ed Wade did as well.

Jayson Stark said on CSN last night that he thinks the top 3 candidates to take over are Charlie Manuel, Grady Little, and Mike Hargrove. I want Hargrove the most out of those 3, but Wade better stay the fuck away from Grady Little. He reminds me WAY too much of former Eagles head coach Rich Kotite.

Did you see the article in today's Inquirer by Jim Salisbury? He wrote that the top 3 candidates should be Manuel, Little, and........JIM FREGOSI!

:blink: :wacko: :bonk:

Seriously, Fregosi? I almost fell out of my seat reading that.

Hmmm...this could be interesting. Probably works out better for the Astros though, especially if they win today.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/2828215

Clemens out today as Astros hit final stretch for wild-card spot

By RICHARD JUSTICE

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Roger Clemens will miss today's scheduled start against the Colorado Rockies after coming down with a stomach flu.

With a playoff spot on the line, the Astros will give the ball to righthander Brandon Backe for today's 1 p.m. game.

Backe learned he'd start after arriving at Minute Maid Park this morning.

The Astros enter today's game having won 35 of their last 45 games and can clinch the National League wild-card berth with a victory against the Rockies.

If the Astros lose and the San Francisco Giants defeat the Los Angeles Dodgers later on Sunday, the Astros and Giants would have a one-team playoff on Monday in San Francisco.

Clemens was scheduled to pitch on three days rest instead of his usual four. If Backe wins, the Astros would have Clemens and Roy Oswalt pitching on their normal rest for Games 1 and 2 of a first-round series against the Atlanta Braves.

That series would begin Wednesday in Atlanta.

The Astros have ridden essentially a two-man pitching rotation down the stretch. At one point, they went 20 consecutive games without getting a victory from a starter other than Clemens and Oswalt.

Backe got both those victories. He defeated the Cincinnati Reds on Sept. 6, then went five innings on Tuesday to get a victory over the St. Louis Cardinals.

As far as the Bowa firing goes, he needed to go, but Ed Wade did as well.

Jayson Stark said on CSN last night that he thinks the top 3 candidates to take over are Charlie Manuel, Grady Little, and Mike Hargrove. I want Hargrove the most out of those 3, but Wade better stay the fuck away from Grady Little. He reminds me WAY too much of former Eagles head coach Rich Kotite.

Trust me. Out of those three, you want Hargrove. If you get Charlie Manuel, kiss your next 2-3 seasons goodbye, as you'll have a guy who will let a .205 hitter bat in a singles situation because the last time he had a hit (two weeks ago) he hit one 485 feet.

Just saying.