TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bigm350

HHH's jab at Rock

Guest bigm350

Was it just me or did it seem like another nasty jab at The Rock by HHH last night? While I somewhat agree with HHH saying that the Rock is an overrated Hollywood actor, I don't think it was right to spew that out. Considering HHH himself is trying to go "Hollywood". Is HHH really that jealous of The Rock?

Guest bigm350
Yes.

Well, yeah I figured he was jealous of Rock. Damn, HHH looks like an insecure goof.

Guest Duncan Eternia

Let's see....

Rock has already made millions in movies,

Starred in 3, 4th in production,

featured in the Muumy Returns.

HHH no starring roles,

makes stupid remarks on a show that most of the time is a parody of itself,

well at least he has that Blade thing going for him.

I'd say Rock wins this round, even without firing back.

Is HHH really that jealous of The Rock?

Well, he has married Vince Mcmahon's daughter and may run the company in the future(imagine the revisionist history he can do with The Rock with all the 2000 footage to prove he's "the greatest of all-time"). Actually, I'm sure he will can use the footage with Austin and Hogan to his advantage too.

He has his childhood hero Ric Flair kissing his tail and even have him proclaiming that he's the greatest of all-time.

He has won matches over the man his childhood hero called the greatest performer of all-time(actually his father in-law has claimed he to be as well).

He has won the feud with the legendary Steve Austin where traditionally the face would go over in 2001.

He has destroyed the credibility of guys like Jericho who The Rock put in a lot of effort to get over.

Why would he be jealous of The Rock who isn't even an active wrestler anymore for all intents and purposes? Why would he attack the Rock on television only when he knows he won't make a "surprise" appearance?

I mean this guy also doesn't have to share the spotlight with the true men who made Vince Mcmahon rich.

Why would he have anything to be jealous of? He can control the booking of the show to make himself look like the greatest thing since slice bread.

Why would he think deep down that he really is not all of the things he is trying to force down the throats of fans around the world when guys like Rock show up and bring a real star power presence to the show? What could he possibly be jealous about? ;)

The Rock was able to do all this without fucking the boss' daughter.

The Rock has drawn more money and gotten more fan support then HHH ever will

Guest bigm350
I missed half of Raw, what'd he say?

The usual "blah-blah, I'm the greatest of alltime; you fans are too stupid to determine my match at Taboo Tuesday". Somewhere in there he threw in the " overrated, Hollywood actor" line, aimed at The Rock.

Guest MikeSC

Perhaps Hunter, as a heel, tried to get heel heat by insulting the popular face Rock.

-=Mike

All in all, WHO CARES?

How does this effect the shitty product WWE is putting out right now?

If Rock were to come back he'd mean little, if anything to business right now.

All in all, WHO CARES?

It effects the wwe when the husband of the lead of creative is more concerned with a part time movie star than any of the opponents lined up for this "interactive ppv" where I'm sure more than half the audience is not even buying is legit. I mean even in kayfabe Vince and the wwe find ways to get out of loopholes. Why would they trust this? Carmella who was eliminated from the last "fan interactive" activity is still here. The fact that he has to make a jab at Rock for heat when he has a whole damn roster of wrestlers shows where their priorities are.

Perhaps Hunter, as a heel, tried to get heel heat by insulting the popular face Rock.

-=Mike

Or, Triple H was smart to insult the not so popular Rock in NYC.

-=Mike

Or, Triple H was smart to insult the not so popular Rock in NYC.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even if that was true, what sense does it make to insult a babyface who is almost never around, and when he does appear, it's almost always last minute ? Insulting a babyface who doesn't do something about it just makes that face look weak for not doing something in return. In any event, I think it most likely that it was a legit dig at Rock, borne out of jealousy and insecurity.

Rock is arguably the most over wrestler in the history of the business. Triple H used his line, "It doesn't matter what you think," and used an opportunity to get heat by insulting a very popular man in this business instead of being viewed as "He just stole The Rock's line!" I thought it was something nice thrown in there.

Remember, Triple H plays a heel on the show, and even though he is manipulative, the man always makes sure he goes for heel heat.

Guest curry_man2002

My perception of this is that just like last year with the whole goldberg works as well as a mic comment, its one of those rare moments when hhh goes into shoot mode and in the spur of the moment takes a little dig at his co workers and i bet he goes back to the dressing room and feels a right tool after wards

Even if he was going for heel heat, and it wasn't a legit jab, where is the logic in hinting at a match that will almost certainly never happen ? It would have made more sense to take a jab at someone who is actually around full-time, so they could at least make an angle out of it.

Guest Dynamite Kido
All in all, WHO CARES?

I fully admit DA....I could careless about this or not.

But saying that The Rock would mean little or nothing at all for business is a simple assumption. The Rock could be just the thing to spark business right now for a company with NOTHING fresh and new to bring to the table. The Rock could be the right person for them to use and change that. Too bad he doesn't have the interest to come back full time and see what would happen...........

Guest GreatOne

It's all in the delivery.

Anyone think HHH could cut promos about the Undertaker and his Mickey Mouse tattoos and his 33 pound head, the Big Show (UYAWAAAWYWAWYAWYAWYAA!), or Kane the Big Red Retard and not sound like a complete tool? Anyone remember the HHH/Rock dueling promos on the debut Smackdown?

HHH: Listen you little jabroni, to play this game you gotta be in my league, and you are nowhere NAIR my league. So go back to the back and do whatever it is that you were doing, and get lost!

I know he was new to being a HHHeadliner then but c'mon, when Orton and Benoit have done better promos than that in the last year (hell I'd even be tempted to say RVD) but christ.

And I don't think I'd ever use the word 'electrifying' to describe HHH. As it is, 'The Man Who's God, just ask him' gimmick suits him just fine.

I know he was new to being a HHHeadliner then but c'mon, when Orton and Benoit have done better promos than that in the last year (hell I'd even be tempted to say RVD) but christ.

Well, back in 99 promos weren't scripted as heavily as they are now, so comparing HHH's to Orton's and Benoit's today may not be the fairest comparison.

Even if he was going for heel heat, and it wasn't a legit jab, where is the logic in hinting at a match that will almost certainly never happen ? It would have made more sense to take a jab at someone who is actually around full-time, so they could at least make an angle out of it.

I don't think they were trying to hint at a match. It was most likely a jab at Rock and nothing more. I don't see the problem with it, because even if it is a personal thing between those two, it's at least consistent with storylines, since HHH was probably Rock's biggest rival back in the day. No need to over-analyze this and make it a bigger deal than it really is.

Guest GreatOne

Well, back in 99 promos weren't scripted as heavily as they are now, so comparing HHH's to Orton's and Benoit's today may not be the fairest comparison.

True, but that makes it even worse if/when Orton and Benoit's 'scripted' stuff beats HHH's more original stuff from 99. But that is basically on the same genericicity (thanks Warrior) scale as Benoit saying 'I'll take you two SOBs on myself'. Can we have a little more creativity here?

Speaking of Benoit and scripted/unscripted promos, my favorite sticking point has always been the post-Fall Brawl Nitro promo 'Sid you're great. I could have sworn I made you tap out but you didn't'. Now WCW's rep of making sure to bury wrestler B to put over wrestler A (esp when we're talking 'let's rip on whatever WWE's doing because THAT'S how we're gonna be #1!!!!!!!!) leads me to believe the former, Benoit's well-known promo problems lead me to believe the latter.

True, but that makes it even worse if/when Orton and Benoit's 'scripted' stuff beats HHH's more original stuff from 99.

Not necessarily, because they really had to come up with a lot of their dialogue on the spot. With scripted stuff, you have a chance to refine your stuff before you get out there, even though they don't always do a good job (like the Benoit line you pointed out).

I don't think they were trying to hint at a match. It was most likely a jab at Rock and nothing more. I don't see the problem with it, because even if it is a personal thing between those two, it's at least consistent with storylines, since HHH was probably Rock's biggest rival back in the day. No need to over-analyze this and make it a bigger deal than it really is.

They might not have intended to hint at a Rock v HHH match, but by refering to Rock, HHH will have gotten some fans interested in a potential match between the two; they would have assumed that Rock wouldn't have been mentioned unless something is going to happen between he and HHH. And such a match is not set to happen, now or at any time in the near future. It might be consistant with past storylines, of 4 years ago when they last wrestled a program, but in the here and now, why mention something that will undoubtedly lead some people, probably a fair few, to want to see a match that is highly unlikely to ever happen ? It might be over analyzing, but I'd say over analyzing things is better than not analyzing them at all, especially when it comes to teasing stuff that you are not going to deliver.

But no one (or at least very few) people who saw the promo is gonna expect a Rock/HHH program anytime soon. They know Rock's situation, and the jab itself was so small. I could see your point if he dedicated a whole section of his promo to how overrated Rock is, but as is it came off as an off-hand remark and nothing more. Now if he starts making comments about Rock week after week without any intention of an eventual program, then you'd be right, but until then, there's no harm done.

But no one (or at least very few) people who saw the promo is gonna expect a Rock/HHH program anytime soon. They know Rock's situation, and the jab itself was so small. I could see your point if he dedicated a whole section of his promo to how overrated Rock is, but as is it came off as an off-hand remark and nothing more. Now if he starts making comments about Rock week after week without any intention of an eventual program, then you'd be right, but until then, there's no harm done.

You're probably right, and few people might be thinking that a Rock v HHH match is the works, but I wouldn't have said anything about Rock at all if he's not coming back. I just don't believe in hinting, even subtlely, at a match isn't going to happen.

Flair namedropped several "legends" last week in his promo. Did you think he was setting up matches with Harley Race and others? Same premise with HHH. He used a line that was made popular by an icon of the industry, and made sure he was viewed as a heel when he said it, instead of being funny like when Rock used it. I would guess no one thought Rock would show up to defend his honor over that namedrop.

You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. It was a little flip jab "over rated actor" comment on the Rock--who HHH had a long feud with anyway.

It was very much in character for the heel HHH to say that. I really doubt that the

Rock was traumatized by the remarks.

Guest GreatOne

It was right in line with Shawn Michaels' comeback 'Rock wants to steal Hunter's spotlight' bit. Nothing more.