TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Suicide King

Hall of Fame time!

Guest Suicide King

It's Hall of Fame time again kids! Before we get to the ballot I would like to remind everyone how this works, and to briefly state that this is why I have been as of yet unable to finish my Genesis comments. For the first time this year the Hall of Fame will be adding a TAG TEAM WING. There are 10 singles nominees and 5 tag team nominees. You have 5 votes for the singles competitors. Of those 5 votes, 4 of them MUST be for someone on the list. The remaining vote can be a "write-in" vote for someone else you think deserves this honor, or you can use it for someone on the list already. For the tag team nominees you get 3 votes, 2 of which must go to people on the list. The remaining vote can go for someone you think may be overlooked, or can be used for an existing nominee. CC reserves the right to act as a "veteran's committee" and to allow 1 and only 1 person in to the Hall of Fame even if the votes do not otherwise show it. To get into the Hall of Fame you must receive 70% of the votes cast. Now, as per usual there may be some controversy about the list. CC agreed on it though, but if you do feel strongly about someone being left off of it I encourage you all to use your write in vote to its fullest. Hell, start up a campaign. We had a very hard time limiting the list to these numbers. Some people were left off because they are active, some were left off because they may be returning soon, and some were left off because we just ran out of room. So, to those people like Ejiro Faski, Divefire, Charlie "Grappler" Matthews, Janus, Dace Night, Va'aiga, Fallout, and Neilsen of the Jungle we do apologize. Better luck next year, or if enough people feel strongly enough we may see you this year anyway. ;) For the tag titles it was particularly harder, as we used two additional guidelines. First, both members of the team had to be inactive. Second, they must have existed as a tag unit for a long period of time, and individual accomplishments were downplayed. If they had a tag team name, this was a good indicator.

ANYONE who has ever been active in the IGN/SWF, JL, or ML is eligible to vote. PLEASE NOTE: if you have run more than one character you do NOT get more than one vote. People who are running ringers, rest assured we know who you are and you only get one vote total. That said, everyone does get a vote. Even frisco, Blazenwing, and Stubby if he were to fall back onto the planet.

I will begin accepting votes on Friday October 8th. Voting will continue for two weeks, ending Friday October 22nd. You will PM votes to me, and I will add them up and give the final figures to Z, who will declare the inductees at a time he feels is appropriate.

Again, that is five votes for individuals and three for tag teams. And now, on to the nominees for the 2004 Hall of Fame!

El Luchadore Magnifico - When people talk about the best ever, one of the first names mentioned (and rightly so) is El Luchadore Magnifico. He has literally done it all. One of the perennial greats, Magnifico was simply unbeatable for a good stretch of his career and always participated in memorable plotlines and excellent matches. He is one of only three men to have held the World Title three, count 'em, three times (a record honor he shares with Rane and Danny Williams). However, unlike those other two stalwarts each of Magnifico's World reigns stretched tremendous amounts of time! Magnifico holds the honor of the longest World Title reign at 127 days (over 4 months, people). In addition he himself has possessed the World Title for a longer total time period than anyone, an astonishing 209 days! That number is in fact the longest time anyone has ever held any belt in the federation's history. But his tremendous main event run is only half the story. Simple put, Mags was the best cruiserweight wrestler we have ever had (only rivalled by Fallout, perhaps). He was a five time, five time, five time, five time, five time Light Heavyweight Champion (the precursor to our current Cruiserweight Title). He possesses the most days with that title, an astonishing 173 days. He has the second longest individual reign (only beaten by Fallout's amazing Light Heavyweight run). In addition to all of these accolades he is a former tag champion with Chris Raynor. And storyline wise, Magnifico was at various times members of three of the most dominant stables of their days: Prime Evil (the first truly evil stable and the blueprint the Clan later expanded upon), the IGNWO (other standout member included the Hville Thugg, the Suicide King, and Chris Wilson), and the Midnight Carnival (with such luminaries as Mark Stevens, Edwin MacPhisto, and Chris Raynor). Magnifico was around during one of the richest and most talent-filled eras of the federation and he consistently dominated. He is as close to a shoe-in as there has ever been to the Hall of Fame.

Thoth - Some people gloss over the accomplishments of Thoth. Those people clearly weren't paying attention at the time. Thoth was an incredibly consistent writer of excellent matches, and his record shows it. To most he is most closely identified with the Clan, and for good reason. A founding member of that stable, he, Spider Nekura, and Silent led to its becoming the most dominant (and frankly the best written) heel stable until the Magnificent Seven appeared. While both the other members of that stable led distinguished careers, it can easily be said that Thoth was the most accomplished of them all. A former World Champion, he did what very few have ever been able to do and BEAT Tom Flesher in a World Title Match. But well before he rose to those heights, Thoth dominated the midcard for a prolonged period. His three ICTV title reigns ties him for the most reigns with that belt. He is a two time tag champ with two different partners (and two wildly different gimmicks): those of course being his Clan partnership with Spider Nekura and his baffling, but funny, DDR themed Bemani Cross Wizards with Ced Ordonez. Throw all those accolades in with his US championship run, and mix it together with his dominance at every level of our farm system at the time (namely winning all three of the IGNML championships and the IGNJL World title at the time of its merger with the ML), and you have finally come across the single most compelling argument for Thoth's inclusion in the Hall of Fame. No one, EVER, has held more belts than Thoth. Not Mark Stevens, at 9 title reigns. Not Magnifico, at 10. Thoth smoked them all with an astonishing 11 title reigns, a feat no one else has ever managed. Consistently excellent more times than anyone else, Thoth has stamped the federation with his mark in a way that will be hard for anyone else to surpass.

Tom Flesher - Everyone knows who Tom Flesher is. Everyone knows what he has done. That he is included in this ballot for the Hall of Fame is surely a surprise to no one. Still, it is possible you don't know the exact specifics so let us examine one very superior career. Flesher was of course a 2 time World Heavyweight Champion. However, you may not know that Tom's total time with that belt was an amazing 184 days! It is the second longest period with the World Title (beaten only by Magnifico's amazing title runs), and the third longest with any belt whatsoever. In addition to his ICTV reign, he had 3 US Title runs which ties him for the most reigns with that belt. He is a former Light Heavyweight Champion (and indeed beating El Luchadore Magnifico for that honor) as well as a former Cruiserweight Champion! Tom is the only man to hold that particular honor, and serves as a bridge spanning those two belts and the generations that held/hold them. Throw that in with his prolonged tag title reign with partner Frost, and it is easy to see that no one was as good, as long as the Superior One. But to only look at his accomplishments would be deceptive. Tom was a founding member of the most dominant stable ever in SWF history, the Magnificent Seven. Indeed he was tapped to be its leader once Chris Wilson left, and the Seven became even better under his beneficent rule. While not the most prolific of promoers, his series of Kings Road promos are still discussed among the writers of this federation as a perfect example of how to do a long-term build to an important match. Good at everything and always willing to help people with their plotlines, Tom took the last few months of his career to put people over in a display rarely seen in this fed. We can only hope that the next generation of SWF writers is half as good and cares about the federation half as much. In short, if it weren't for Magnifico there would be no doubt that Tom was the best ever. But even with Magnifico, there are many (including this writer) who believe that Tom was living his gimmick.

Frost - When you talk about the big men of the SWF, there are certain names that come up immediately. Rane. Axis. Thugg. Those men were great, and big, and important. But it seemed for a long time that the era of the big man in the fed had come to an end, and that size was a disadvantage to match writing. The smaller, faster, more technical writers seemed to win everytime. Enter Frost. Frost was, in a nustshell, the best big man since Thugg, and perhaps the best in this modern incarnation of the SWF. Only Janus has even come close to rivalling him. The Icelandic giant was a founding member of the Magnificent Seven and was one of the most dominant member of that group along with such luminaries as Flesher, Fasaki, Williams, and Hearford. While never quite capturing the World Title (as Flesher perpetually held it just out of his grasp), Frost acquitted himself admirably. His two ICTV title reigns were memorable to say the least. His Hardcore Gamers Title run was quite impressive as well. But Frost shined most when he was able to work with members of the Magnificent Seven or their hangers-on. Frost had two Tag Title runs with two different partners... the first, and cited frequently as one of the best tag names ever, was Chilly Chilly Bang Bang with TNT. There were several amusing promos between the big man and the M7 wanna-be that gave definition to their partnership. Later however Frost partnered with Tom Flesher himself for a second Tag Title run (for a stunning 101 days) before losing it in one of the great screwjobs of the time as Tom turned on him to give stablemates Justice and Rule the Tag Titles. In short, Frost wrote great big man matches, which anyone who has ever written a big man can tell you is a heck of a challenge. But Frost's legacy lives on in the creations he has blessed us with to this day: the Memphis Eel (may someone shoot him in the face) and Frost Brand Enterprises (specializing in tacos and cigars).

Taylor Nicholas Thompson - Now some may question TNT's inclusion on this ballot. TNT's accomplishments, while not numerous, are worth considering though. In this fed there is a special elite club. It only gains one new member a year. Current members include Pimp Daddy Sarp, "Grand Slam" Mark Stevens, and Charlie "Grappler" Matthews. That's right kids... TNT won the third ever Clusterfuck. He beat 19 other participants to secure a World Title shot. No one thought he would win. And then, once he did? The poor bastard had to face El Luchadore Magnifico! Mags was the most dominant champ of his day. TNT didn't stand a chance.

Except he won, again! Earlier in his career he faced Tom Flesher in a US Title match. He didn't stand a chance. I'm sure you can figure out what happened. And once he entered the tag division with Frost, they earned a title shot against Chris Raynor and Edwin MacPhisto! Guess who won? TNT made a career out of defying the odds, and beating the unbeatable. Sure, sometimes he lost to the beatable. But when he was on, TNT could beat anyone. Anyone.

Chris Raynor - And now we come to Chris Raynor... Chris was a decorated single competitor. In addition to being the first ever IGNML World Heavyweight Champion, he is a one time US champion (beating Tom Flesher) and a one time ICTV champion (beating Mark Stevens). He was a founding member of the SWF version of the then Stables Champion Midnight Carnival, widely regarded as the best face stable the federation has ever seen. He was a prolific and gifted promo writer, with his seminal work "Operation P.O.O.F.N.A.R." still being cited as one of the best promos of all time. He participated with honor in one of the most memorable storylines the fed has ever seen, namely the all-encapsulating Edwin vs. Silent. However, when you get right down to it there is so much more to Raynor's greatness than his singles career. Chris Raynor is arguably the single best individual writer of tag team matches ever. His talent for multi-man matches is spectacular, and was shown in numerous tag and stables matches. But the number speak for themselves... Chris Raynor is a FOUR time Tag Champion, and with FOUR different partners no less! He held tag title with Chris Storm (as part of the classic Y2Chris combination), Spark, El Luchadore Magnifico, and Edwin MacPhisto! His four tag reigns tie him for the most reigns with a single belt, just behind Magnifico's tremendous 5 Light Heavyweight belts. When Raynor was by himself he was good. When he wrote with anyone else (and I have the sneaking suspicion that it could have been a deaf mute monkey and it would still be gold), he was simply unstoppable.

Silent - No-selling bastard! Now that I have gotten off my chest, let us praise Nathaniel Kibagami, the River Dragon, Silent of the Clan. Kibs is one of the few men in the federation's history to have held the World Title without having held any lesser individual belts. Why is this? Well, I will tell you what I tell people when they mention that I did the same thing. I didn't have time for belts usually. Everyone was PMing me and asking me to participate in plotlines, and I was only too happy to do so. Frequently NOT holding belts is the highest praise the fed can give you, because it means that people would rather have you writing stories for them to read. I suspect it is at least partially the same for Silent, although I am sure the no-showing didn't help. ;) So why is Silent here then, you may ask? Well, for three reasons primarily... first and foremost he is a former World Champion (even if seemingly everyone this year has been). Second, Silent is a founding member of the Clan, whose accolades I sang up above in Thoth's entry. The Clan was one of the greatest stables ever, and it is clear that that is partially true because of Silent. However, third and most importantly in my eyes is Silent's ability to compose compelling and interesting storylines. There are many examples of this, but the two I would like to highlight are ones that shaped the direction of the fed at the times they were written. First would be the tremendous feud between Silent and Thoth for control of the Clan that raged for months and helped grow the Clan into the dominant force it would be. This was very very good. However, there was one of Silent's stories that was simply great. The epic struggle between Edwin MacPhisto and Silent was perhaps the best thing that happened in the fed that year. From simple roots it grew, drawing in people who originally had nothing to do with it, like Zed and Chris Raynor. By the end, every single person had changed for better or worse, and that is one of the hallmarks of a good story. I guess I can explain why Silent is on this ballot with a simple sentence. When he actually wrote, we read. And that is not always the case with many of our writers past and present.

Danny Williams - And now we come to "Deathwish" Danny Williams... It is perhaps best to start at the beginning with Danny. Williams came in as one of the founding members of the tremendous rookie class of the Magnificent Seven. Even in that talent packed group Danny quickly rose to the top, capturing two US championship and an ICTV championship in relatively short order, stomping all over the midcard with a series of ultra stiff elbows. However, it is after he broke away from that august group that Danny really began to come into his own. He founded the Unholy Trinity with fellow scary men Dace Night and Va'aiga and proceeded to beat the bejeezus out of anyone who got in their path. And then Danny began his inexorable climb into the main event, accomplishing along the way something only two other men have done... Danny Williams won the World Title three separate times, beating Ejiro Fasaki, John Duran, and Nathaniel Kibagami for those respective honors. It is true that he could no hold on to the title for a prolonged period of time, but it is also true that in the record books only three men are listed with the record of most World Title reigns: Rane (3), El Luchadore Magnifico (3), and "Deathwish" Danny Williams (3). Perhaps even more important than that would be Danny's impact on the atmosphere and writing of the federation. More than anyone else, Danny brought puroresu to the fed and forever altered how matches were written and read. And if that isn't an impact, I don't know what it.

Chris Wilson - Chris Wilson = evil mastermind. That was the equation, and it worked for a long time in the federation's history. He promoed frequently and well (including the now infamous FAO Schwartz debacle). He was a multiple time champion. However, when we list Wilson's impact on the fed there are two that clearly stand out among all others. He founded and organized two of the most dominant stables the federation has ever known, namely the IGNWO and the Magnificent Seven. The IGNWO at various times had such luminaries as the HVille Thugg, Spider Nekura, El Luchadore Magnifico, and the Suicide King among its active members. Including Wilson, four of those men would go on to World titles. And then Wilson retired... only to come back the next summer, and do the whole damned thing again and in even more impressive fashion with the Magnificent Seven! Taking the best and brightest of the new crop of talent, he introduced the fed to people like Tom Flesher, Frost, Danny Williams, Ejiro Fasaki, and William Hearford. Again including Wilson another 4 of those men would hold the World Title. The man had an undeniable eye for talent. But it isn't as if he was without talent of his own. Oh no! He beat Mark Stevens for the World Title. He beat Fallout for the ICTV championship. He was tied for the longest Hardcore Title reign at 60 days until the Boston Strangler broke his record. He was a 2 time tag champion with two different partners (one for each stable) as he held the belts with both the Hville Thugg and Stryke. They say that you can judge a man's worth by those whose company he keeps. Well, Wilson only associated with the best. Take from that what you will.

Pimp Daddy Sarp - Back in the days when your wrestler's name was your user ID on the IGN boards there was a man named Sarp. Pimp Daddy Sarp. And he was good at making you his personal bitch. Sarp was there since the beginning, and he was a member of the first big face stable, the Phoenix Uprising led by Hall-of-Famer Rane. Perpetually in Rane's shadow, Sarp still racked up some impressive accomplishments, namely becoming the second ever ICTV champ by defeating NTD. He also was briefly one half of the tag team champions with his stable leader (together they were the second ever tag champs). Everything was just great in Phoenix land... right up until the first inaugural Clusterfuck. Pimp Daddy Sarp turned on his stable and its leader and in doing became the first member of the very exclusive Clusterfuck club. That sounded a little dirty. Anyway, PDS quickly cashed in on his title shot and defeated Rane for the World Title, setting the as yet unbroken precedent that he who wins the Clusterfuck ALWAYS wins the World Title at the first opportunity. Rane would never again hold the World championship after this shocking betrayal. However, barring an aborted comeback these were the greatest accomplishments PDS would aspire to, shortly thereafter losing the title to Divefire in one of the greatest upsets of its time (but less of one in retrospect). Sarp was good, it's true, but his true strength was in his characterization which set the standard for for all of those who were to follow. He's one of the few oldies to stop in once in awhile to see how we're doing, and we honor his accomplishments.

And now on to the TAG NOMINEES!

The Fallen - Angelous and Molock. These two founding members of Prime Evil were big, scary men, and to top it off they were simply the best tag team of the infant days of the IGNWF. They were the first men to hold the tag team titles twice, defeating Danny Vigilante and Divefire the first time, and Axis and Cyclone Comet the second. May have come after them, but the best that has ever been able to be done by a team is to tie their record of two title reigns. It is a testament to their skill that they had the longest consecutive title reign at 84 days for about two years until they were eclipsed by our modern "super" tag teams consisting of genetically engineered M7ers. ;)

Y2Chris - Chris Storm and Chris Raynor. Both of these men were named Chris. Thus was a tag team born. They only held the belts once, however they did beat the best team of their day (the Fallen) to do so. There are those who would argue that this was not a great team, although they were good. There are those who would even say this was the least good of Raynor's four successful tag team champions. This could perhaps be true, but it also remains that one of its members was our best tag writer ever and this is his only team that was an actual tag team in the classical sense as opposed to two individuals. You can see the corner we've painted ourselves into. To be fair, they also had a horrible catchphrase dealing with the meteorological aspects of their names. They were trying, and that sort of effort has to be rewarded. If you had to pick one thing to praise about this team, I would praise their actual committment to being a tag team in all its aspects. There have been more successful tag teams, but there were none who tried harder to be a team first, and successful second. And perhaps more importantly of all, when the tag team inevitably broke it led to a great series of matches that elevated both men.

Chilly Chilly Bang Bang - Frost and TNT. I love that name. This unlikely but damned effective pairing of a M7er and a M7er wanna-be stunned the world when they beat Chris Raynor and Edwin MacPhisto for the tag titles. They ruled for 60 days before falling to the almost equally unlikely Bemani Cross Wizards. While TNT and Frost were really, really good the true strength of this team came from their promos in which it was made clear just how different these two individuals were. The cigar-chomping, somber Frost had his hands full just trying to prevent himself from murdering his hyperactive explosive partner, and that led to a very entertaining dynamic that permeated their promos and matches. In short, these two were one of the most entertaining combos the tag scene had ever seen.

Justice and Rule - Ejiro Fasaki and "Judge Mental" Williams Hearford. Quite simply perhaps the best tag team ever. First, the list of accomplishments. They are two time tag champs, and thus tied for the most reigns by any team. Up until recently they had the longest tag title reign but were just barely surpassed by Hollywood Boulevard. With that said however, they still have the longest total period of time with the tag belts, both as a team and individuals, at 207 days. 207 days. It's mind-boggling. That time period puts them at second on the all time title time list behind Magnifico's World title reigns and just in front of Tom Flesher's. They are the most dominant tag team, ever. Two amazingly successful singles wrestlers by themselves, when they came together they were invincible. And the promos! My god man, the promos! Hearford: the elder statesman. Fasaki: the young, cocky natural. The chemistry was amazing. Frankly, they made me excruciatingly jealous. Justice and Rule are as close to a shoe-in as the tag division has.

DVD - Danny Vigilante and Divefire. The Corporation's pet tag team, and the third tag team champions in the federation's history. They were vicious, they were sadistic, and they got the job done by any means necessary. They claimed the vacant belts by beating two other teams, Malignant Odium and FX. For the life of me, I can't tell you who was in those teams but Z probably could. They were champs for a then record 49 days before succumbing to the irresistible force of the Fallen. Danny Vigilante went on to a new character. You may have heard of him. Spider Nekura/Reese Black? And Divefire went on to become the World champ and temporarily the Commish. But back when they were a team there was no one as respected for their simple and brutal match writing style. Divefire and Danny Vigilante were in many ways proto-Danny Williams, and it came through in everything they did.

Sample Vote List

Singles

5 (write in)

Tag

3 (write in)

Just for the record, Malignant Odium was Harbinger (AKA Reason, one of X's horsepersons), and Lunar Shadow, and FX was Funyon (He did wrestle back in the day, and was quite hossy, at 6'8" 300+) and Xtreme [Who later joined Die Hard with Spike (Not Jennykins, Atlas), Storm, Wilson (Who was replaced by Raynor), Grimedogg, and 'Insane' Joe Flyer (Though all of these members weren't part of Die Hard at the same time necessarily)].

That has been GOdrea's history lesson of the whenever.

Guest Suicide King

Just to remind everyone since I have gotten some votes already, you get 5 for individuals and 3 for tag. one for each may be a write in but does not have to be.

And for those who are interested in so doing, please include a sentence or two explaning why you are voting for who you are voting. It is a tradition to take one or two of the lauding sentences offered and post them in the HoF induction thread.

Chris mother f**kin' Wilson!?!

Chris mother f**kin' Wilson!?!

Chris...MOTHER F**KIN' WILSON!?!

jesus...

Chris mother f**kin' Wilson...

Jesus f**kin' Christ.

Vote Neilsen or I'll have your balls.

Chris mother f**kin' Wilson.

F**k.

{EDIT}

And Raynor!?!

Chris mother f**kin' Raynor!?!

Forget the tag titles and sh*t...

Chris Mother F**kin' Raynor!?!

He's best known for a f**kin' joke!!!

(That said, Neilsen writes in Chris Raynor on the ballot in his head.)

Chris mother f**kin' Raynor.

Christ.

I agree with Neilsen. Wilson? Fuckin' stable whore.

I'm no-selling the fact that I can't write in Neilsen and Galatea. I guess they'll get my tag write-in vote.

Tiger Mc-fuckin'-Twammer.

Fear it, motherfuckers.

PS - Neilsen, there's no need for asterisks here. Curse, curse like the wind! Even though that doesn't make sense...

Guest Suicide King

Little note here. You do not have to use all of your votes, but it wil make my life much easier if you do so since I have to do the calculations. I'd rather not have to use two sets of numbers.

I'm going to start a write-in vote for Sacred. C'mon, guy was around for ages, had an ongoing feud with Edwin and made World Champion.

He is NOW, yeah. See, that's how good my suggestion was.

*looks shifty and disappears*

Exception: Me. You can vote for me as many times as you wish, up to and including 5 times in singles and three times for tag.

Yes, that'll do.

Guest Suicide King

And since I enjoy reading my own posts so much, I would like to reiterate that it will make my job easier if you all use all of your votes. Some people are determined to make me use math, and I don't like it! ;)

Guest Suicide King

You caught me Tom. In fact it makes absolutely no difference to the math if someone doesn't use all their votes. It mostly just upsets my sense of propriety. ;)

Basically, I have just been getting a LOT of null votes, more than I had expected from such a talent packed list, and I foresee some people who deserve induction not getting in because of it.

Guest Suicide King

One late reminder kids... voting ends Friday! Many active people haven't voted yet, so do it while you can!

Edited by Suicide King

Guest Horse hockey!

I love King and all of his works.

Edited by Suicide King

Have no fear I just official pm'd my votes. I voted for Thoth,Raynor, Flesher, and wrote in a certain charismatic and very popular ;) newcomber...ahem myslef...for the singles hall of fame ballot. I didn't do any tag teams primarily because I don't know any of the tag teams.

Wow, this is a nice surprise.

If I get voted in and have the time, it would probably be a good opportunity to write and post a "dream match that never was" to celebrate. Not that I'm bribing anybody, since you should've voted already. ;)

Guest Suicide King

Alright... the Hall of Fame ballots have been counted. And the winners...

will be posted Sunday, PPV night.