TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Australian Pride

Worst ending to a PPV?

All the WCW ppvs from the nwo-era where Hogan went over at the end...so many dissapointing shows back then.

Even when Hogan got beat it was bad - how about Uncensored 99 where Ric Flair beat him for the World title in a First Blood cage match. He won by PINFALL!

Kinda like Uncensored '95...Hogan vs Vader in a strap match...Hogan drags RIC FLAIR around the ring to touch the corners, and wins! :lol:

Guest MikeSC
Greed (March '01). Steiner retains against DDP via knockout (DDP passed out in the Steiner Recliner after Steiner had used a lead pipe on DDP's back a few times). WCW had to know that this was their last PPV. And they ended it with Steiner defeating Page AGAIN (I don't think there's been a single Page/Steiner match that Page won). I'm all for Booker T winning the World title on the last Nitro, but that was too rushed, and this match was pretty solid and would have been a whole hell of a lot better if DDP got revenge on the man that took out his two best friends in the company (Goldberg and Kevin Nash).

Actually, I think at that point they still expected EB to buy them and for them to return after a brief off-air hiatus. They hot-shotted the belt to Booker because WWF wanted them to on that final Nitro.

For TNA, it's hard to find one MUCH worse than when JJ beat AJ for the belt to set up a program with Hogan that never happened.

For ECW, I do not care what anybody says --- Terry Funk should have NEVER won the ECW Title. The ending to Barely Legal (which was a mediocre, at best, show to begin with) was just horrid.

WCW: Scott Steiner's DQ win over Booker at Halloween Havoc 2000. Only did a solid job of killing the last month of Booker's reign as Scott just slaughtered him.

WWF/E: Gotta go with the lame finish for UT v Kane at one of Russo's abysmal 1998 PPV shows.

-=Mike

For ECW, I do not care what anybody says --- Terry Funk should have NEVER won the ECW Title. The ending to Barely Legal (which was a mediocre, at best, show to begin with) was just horrid.

I'm curious, who do you feel should have won?

Guest LooneyTune
Ending for the "Heroes of Wrestling" PPV.

That was awful.

The ending? I'd just go with the whole damn show. Everyone is saying Uncensored 95, so here's the finish: Hulk Hogan def. Vader in an Indian strap Match...by dragging RIC FLAIR to all four corners and touching the turnbuckles. Tony Schiavone's explanation: It's Uncensored! What that has to do with it makes me scratch my head pondering.

From the same show, Randy Savage def. Earthquake by DQ in a No DQ Match :huh:

Guest bottyboy

Tommy Dreamer. Funk should've have never been in the match.

Everyone is saying Uncensored 95, so here's the finish: Hulk Hogan def. Vader in an Indian strap Match...by dragging RIC FLAIR to all four corners and touching the turnbuckles. Tony Schiavone's explanation: It's Uncensored! What that has to do with it makes me scratch my head pondering.

From the same show, Randy Savage def. Earthquake by DQ in a No DQ Match :huh:

:lol:

God bless WCW.

As for my pick for worst ending to a PPV goes to Summerslam 2003.

Goldberg went into the match being super-over with the crowd and was booked to look like a monster by destroying Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho only to be beaten by a injured Triple H with one sledgehammer blow. That really pissed me off.

Guest MikeSC

Tommy Dreamer. Raven was leaving soon and Dreamer going over him on PPV, ending their program, would have been a perfect finish for a flawed show.

-=Mike

Guest chrispatton33

What PPV in 2000 was it that Austin dropped Triple H in a car from a crane? That was horribly stupid.

What PPV in 2000 was it that Austin dropped Triple H in a car from a crane? That was horribly stupid.

That was Survivor Series 2000, and yes, it was amazingly stupid.

I think the all-time worst PPV ending is Great American Bash 2004, where Undertaker swerves us all by pouring concrete all over Paul Bearer. This was stupid because not only were they "killing off" a character, but it did not make any sense of Undertaker to do so. Awful stuff.

Worst for the company, and in terms of build up HAS to be the Starrcade with the Sting/Hogan fast-count/Hart match. That screwed-up finish never should have even been booked. If that match never happened, and Sting had just beaten Hogan's ass and won cleanly (yeah right) they could have fed him heels for a year, and people would have eaten it up.

Guest curry_man2002

when i was a mark in 2000 and 2001 every ppv kurt angle and steve austin reatained the wwf title in there respective reigns i was nearly in tears on my living room floor

Worst for the company, and in terms of build up HAS to be the Starrcade with the Sting/Hogan fast-count/Hart match. That screwed-up finish never should have even been booked. If that match never happened, and Sting had just beaten Hogan's ass and won cleanly (yeah right) they could have fed him heels for a year, and people would have eaten it up.

And we would probably still have a Nitro option on Monday nights...

Tommy Dreamer. Raven was leaving soon and Dreamer going over him on PPV, ending their program, would have been a perfect finish for a flawed show.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for the Dreamer pinfall over Raven to have been saved for when it could have been built to better ? With the Barely Legal PPV, they to split the push for the World Title challenger between three people. It would mean a lot more if Dreamer's pinfall win over Raven was the culmination of one last strong storyline, rather than one 7 minute match, which is how long the BL main event lasted.

In any event, I wouldn't have had Dreamer get the pinfall then, or even when Raven left. It would have added something to Dreamer's character that they could have played on, if he always had the spectre of that one person he could never beat. It adds depth to a hero to have a nemesis like that. Raven was always going to return to ECW, regardless of how WCW went, and Dreamer could have gotten his pinfall then, after a suitable storyline and push.

Guest Rrrsh

HHH/Angle in late 2000 (For the life of me I forget what the name of it was. Prolly No Mercy)

They just KILLED that whole angle with Kurt stealing Steph.

WM 17 is up there for me. The repeated chair shots with the fans STILL CHEERING was pretty bad.

HHH/Angle in late 2000 (For the life of me I forget what the name of it was. Prolly No Mercy)

Unforgiven 2000. And I LOATHED that finish. The only logical ending for that tremendous storyline was for Kurt to steal Stephanie, which would have turned 3H uber face. Sadly, ego got in the way of business.

Guest MikeSC

Wouldn't it have made more sense for the Dreamer pinfall over Raven to have been saved for when it could have been built to better ? With the Barely Legal PPV, they to split the push for the World Title challenger between three people. It would mean a lot more if Dreamer's pinfall win over Raven was the culmination of one last strong storyline, rather than one 7 minute match, which is how long the BL main event lasted.

In any event, I wouldn't have had Dreamer get the pinfall then, or even when Raven left. It would have added something to Dreamer's character that they could have played on, if he always had the spectre of that one person he could never beat. It adds depth to a hero to have a nemesis like that. Raven was always going to return to ECW, regardless of how WCW went, and Dreamer could have gotten his pinfall then, after a suitable storyline and push.

I can't really agree, as I don't think the fans would want to see Dreamer never go over Raven. There's a fine line between a slow build --- and an angle without a proper payoff. It would've made more sense, in my eyes, for ECW to give the fans what they wanted here.

Thing is, you could never know, for certain, if Raven would return to ECW. I wouldn't want to book in the hopes that he'd come back.

-=Mike

I can't really agree, as I don't think the fans would want to see Dreamer never go over Raven. There's a fine line between a slow build --- and an angle without a proper payoff. It would've made more sense, in my eyes, for ECW to give the fans what they wanted here.

Thing is, you could never know, for certain, if Raven would return to ECW. I wouldn't want to book in the hopes that he'd come back.

-=Mike

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. While I do think Dreamer should have pinned Raven eventually, I don't think BL would have been the place to do it. It should have been saved for a PPV, with a proper build up that could have focused solely on Dreamer and Raven.

As for Raven coming back to ECW, he himself has said he always knew he'd return to ECW, and looking at how things went, he was right. Even if he had done well in WCW, the politics would have seen him go nuts with not getting elevated, and he would have left anyway.

Unforgiven 2000. And I LOATHED that finish. The only logical ending for that tremendous storyline was for Kurt to steal Stephanie, which would have turned 3H uber face. Sadly, ego got in the way of business.

Wasn't the 4-way title match the last match on the show?

And having Jericho steal Steph would've been the better way to go IMO. Having her leave with Kurt would've been way too predictable, and they had already set up Jericho/Steph with the kiss at KOTR.

Wasn't the 4-way title match the last match on the show?

And having Jericho steal Steph would've been the better way to go IMO. Having her leave with Kurt would've been way too predictable, and they had already set up Jericho/Steph with the kiss at KOTR.

The 4-way did end Unforgiven, but I guess that he remembered the triangle angle most of all. And while Jericho might have made some sense as the person to have stolen Stephanie, the angle was designed, originally, for Angle to steal her, and it might have been predictable, but by the time the angle was set to peak, the people were dying to see Angle take her anyway. On a side note, I don't think WWF/E ever managed to get an angle like that ever again, both in terms of long term planning and emotional attachment.

Guest Rrrsh

Yah I knew I was close. That finish was truly awful.

Guest Rrrsh
On a side note, I don't think WWF/E ever managed to get an angle like that ever again, both in terms of long term planning and emotional attachment.

Totally agree

As for my pick for worst ending to a PPV goes to Summerslam 2003.

Goldberg went into the match being super-over with the crowd and was booked to look like a monster by destroying Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho only to be beaten by a injured Triple H with one sledgehammer blow. That really pissed me off.

What pissed me off was being there.

The whole time everyone expected HHH would FINALLY lose, but as we all know, he never does. He wasn't even in the match more than two minutes. His door opened, he got knocked out by the Superkick (granted that spot was awesome), but then did not do anything else until he hits with the hammer and wins. Completely took away the thrill of the Elimination Chamber for me.