TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Is X a HOFer?

Doesn't have to be retired.

With Smoltz, I can't endorse a candidate with 163 wins. Smoltz's argument rests on a comparison to Dennis Eckersley, but Eckersley had over a decade of work as a closer. Smoltz has just 3 1/2 years under his belt. I don't see Smoltz as a HOFer at this point, but he could reach that level with maybe another 3-4 years.

Mike Mussina and Chipper Jones.

Mussina yes. He's got 211 wins now. With his winning percentage, I would induct him if he reaches 235 wins.

Chipper Jones is a wait and see candidate. If he can keep his OBP over .400 and put together a good five year stretch, I'd put him in.

Pete Ro--Let's not open that can of worms.

Ken Griffey Jnr.

Trevor Hoffman

Larry Walker

Jim Edmonds

Griffey is absolutely a HOFer. He's got over 500 home runs, and he was an elite player for almost a decade.

Trevor Hoffman I cannot endorse. Very few relievers are in the Hall, and Hoffman isn't the best of the rest.

Larry Walker is an interesting case. He's the Chuck Klein of our generation. Win Shares removes the issue of park factors. He's got 297 win shares at this point, which keeps him out of the top 100 of batters. With his history of injuries, I think Walker falls short.

Jim Edmonds isn't at this point. His similar players include only three Hall of Famers, and only one in the top five. Edmonds could reach the Hall with a late career surge, but the odds are against him.

Troy Percival

Barry Larkin

Kevin Brown

David Cone

Dwight Gooden

Percival I have the same response for as I did Hoffman, except that Percival ranks below Hoffman. Of Percival's comps, only Mariano Rivera has any real shot at the Hall.

Barry Larkin I believe should make the Hall. He would have won a ton of gold gloves, had it not been for Ozzie Smith. He was a better player than Ozzie, and probably the best shortstop in baseball from Ripkin to Jeter.

Kevin Brown is very close, but not yet. 207 wins, with a .602 winning percentage. Like Mussina, if he can get up to about 235 wins, he should make the Hall.

David Cone is close, but his case just isn't strong enough to merit an endorsement.

Doc Gooden isn't a HOFer. After his first three years, his career has very little to go on.

Some assorted ones....

Carlos Delgado

Not even close. Delgado needs at least another five great years to merit consideration.

Pedro.

Pedro's in. His career ERA is 67% better than the league average. The next highest on the career leaderboard is Lefty Grove, at 48%.

Bernie Williams

Fred McGriff

I like both guys, but they fall just short. McGriff needed just one more good year, but he couldn't get it. Only one of Williams' comps are in the Hall

I hope Larkin retires... I'd hate to 1) see him in another uniform and 2) see said team on his (possible) HoF plaque instead of just "Cincinnati 1986-2004"

My contribution:

Roberto Alomar?

Roberto Alomar?

In. Alomar was the premier second baseman of our era.

Tom Glavine

IN. No one with more than 262 wins has a higher winning percentage, except for Roger Clemens.

Jim Thome

Andy Pettitte

Thome will probably make the Hall, given four more productive years. He's hit 40+ home runs the last four years. He's 34, and he has 423 home runs.

Pettitte is nowhere near the Hall, even at his peak.

Hmmm

#1: Juan Gonzalez

#2: Jeff Bagwell

#3: Ivan Rodriguez

#4: Manny Ramirez

#5: Nomar Garciaparra

#6: Ichiro Suzuki(He's really interesting...how old is he?)

I don't think Juan Gonzalez has any realistic shot.

Jeff Bagwell deserves the Hall. 446 career home runs. 202 stolen bases. .408 career OBP. His career OPS is 23rd all time.

Ivan Rodriguez should make the Hall. His three most similar players are in the HOF.

Manny Ramirez should make the Hall with 3-4 more productive seasons.

Its too early to judge Garciaparra. Six of his most similar players at 30 made the Hall, and another of the top ten is Jeter. With a .322 batting average, he would make the Hall. But he needs to put together a solid career surge.

Its also too early to tell on Ichiro. No one has entered baseball at 27 and put together a HOF career like this. Well, except for some pitchers. Minnie Minoso is probably a similar example, and Minoso probably should make the Hall. With Ichiro, it depends on how long he lasts. If he wins three more batting titles along the way, he'll probably make the Hall.

Derek Jeter

Mariano Rivera

Olerud

Jeter, not yet. He's similar to Trammell, who isn't close to the Hall, but should be in.

Rivera will make the Hall, but I don't think he should, at least not yet. Rollie Fingers has the least innings pitched of any HOF pitcher, with 1701. Mariano Rivera has pitched about 825, including the postseason. He has less than half the innings pitched of the pitcher with the FEWEST innings pitched. I just don't see it.

Olerud is out of the Hall. There are five or six first basemen of his era who have better numbers.

Ken Caminiti

Mark Grace

Frank Thomas

Caminiti no.

Mark Grace I give the same answer as Olerud. There are several first basemen in our era who were better.

Frank Thomas should make the Hall on the first ballot. .429 career OBP. In his prime, he was nearly as feared as Barry Bonds is today.