TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pegasus Kid

It's stuff like this why I still play Marvel

If you've ever played Marvel vs Capcom 2 and wondered what really high end play is all about check out this video that came out a few days ago between Justin Wong (MvC2 World Champion 4 years running) and Sanford Kelly (argueably the #2 man in all Marvel players).

http://www.sf2ae.com/~jetphi/breakpoint_winners_final.zip

I'd be interested in thoughts from players both of Marvel and those who don't play to get perspectives from those (at least from what I've seen) that don't play SF on a serious level but may want to.

How about a review for those of us who will not download the file. Was Storm, Iron Man, Magneto being used?

Um... why wouldn't you download the file? It's some of the best Marvel footage I've seen this year?

Uh... Justin used Magneto/Storm/Psylocke and Sanford used Magneto/Storm/Sentinel and later Sentinel/Storm/Commando.

Its fun, but it just seems like too few characters are the only usable ones.

Storm, Magneto, and Sentinal seeming to be the best...

Eh, that's only true at top level.

Marvel's fun to watch; I don't really understand the psychology though, since I don't play. Top level 3S is more interesting since I can understand it enough to really be impressed by it.

Are they going to put the grand finals up? I want to hear the crowd reaction to Justin finally being taken down.

Marvel's fun to watch; I don't really understand the psychology though, since I don't play. Top level 3S is more interesting since I can understand it enough to really be impressed by it.

Are they going to put the grand finals up? I want to hear the crowd reaction to Justin finally being taken down.

You know it's interesting, I actually got into Marvel after being wowed by the Team Tournament Finals of North East Championships 3. I didn't understand jack shit about what was going on but man was it flashy stuff and the crowd was nuked. So I started to learn how to play it "the right way" and while I'm nowhere near the level of the top guys in Canada, nevermind in the US, it's still enjoyable and I always work hard to beef my skills up.

The Grand Finals are actually being put on a DVD so I don't think they'll be released for free unless someone punks out Jetphi and posts them of their own accord.

Vivisectvi; I can only assume you don't play fighting games on a serious level. The vast majority (if not all) of high level SF players watch match, combo and tutorial video's to take their games up a notch.

Not really a marvel player, it makes my head hurt. I'll stick to SF3

Still thanks for the link PK, bringing the competitive edge to this board.

Not really a marvel player, it makes my head hurt. I'll stick to SF3

Marvel only really looks complicated but truth be told it's no more complex than any other fighting games. When you de-construct it, you understand why everything works the way it does and it's a snap to read between the lines and break down matches that once looked like they would give you a seizure.

The advent of 3rd Strike on PS2 (a true arcade port outside of the extra Aegis Reflect Glithc) seems to have brought about a lot of new players as well. Being in one of the 3S capitals of North America in Toronto, I see a lot of high level play and engage in it myself. How does everyone like 3S? Find it difficult? Do you understand why high level parrying can make the difference in a match up?

I was wondering do you have any home arcade sticks PK?

I have four actually. A MASStick and an Agetec for my Dreamcast. A HORI and an X-Arcade (dual compatable) for my PS2.

The main arcade in Toronto uses Japanese Vs cabinets that's why I have to "stick and ball" sticks in the Agetec and the HORI. The MASStick is the best US style stick on the market. The X-Arcade I just bought from a friend for nearly nothing because he got out of the scene. I don't really use it much.

Why do you ask?

Just wondering what you use. I own one of those 2 player x-arcades, the thing is total trash. My hori real arcade pro is very sweet though, even with the china clone buttons everything comes out smooth.

Just wondering what you use. I own one of those 2 player x-arcades, the thing is total trash. My hori real arcade pro is very sweet though, even with the china clone buttons everything comes out smooth.

Ah... a Real Arcade Pro owner. I'm actually looking into that stick because I can't use my Tekken 4 HORI very well (the right switch is touchy to say the least). Did you find it at a reasonable price? I haven't been able to find one that doesn't totally rape my wallet.

No I was assraped for it in shipping by lik-sang. Also, the pins in the controller port broke after using a very crappy DC-converter so I had to get a replacement.

No I was assraped for it in shipping by lik-sang. Also, the pins in the controller port broke after using a very crappy DC-converter so I had to get a replacement.

Yeah Lik-Sang fucking smokes you on shipping. At first you think "oooohhh, good price" and then they beat the shit out of you on the shipping. I bought a DC/PS2/Saturn to USB adapter from them about a year ago. The item was $25 but my shipping was like $35. INSANITY! But the adapter is fucking awesome and I can use my MASstick on Kaillera so it worked out.

It might be the adapter, stick or even emulator but I have problems doing stuff with the stick on my computer. It works like a dream on the PS2 but the x-arcade actually works better on my PC.