TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Oh by the way, the press releases all make sure to remind us that Bob Brenly and Dusty Baker are close friends. Faaaaaantastic.

Coincidence? I think not. Good to know we won't hear anyone questioning Dusty's decisions calls.

Perhaps he was a year too early, Bob Brenly.

"And here's Adam Dunn, 3 for 4 against Mike Remlinger. You've gotta give credit to Dusty Baker for not wanting to give into those so-called Moneyball experts with their stats and trends, and following his intuition."

"You know, maybe Moises is just having a bad day, because I know he's a splendid baserunner."

"You know, even though Mark Prior's already had arm problems, Dusty's making the right move by leaving him in here in the eighth, already down by 5 and well over 100 pitches. Kid's gotta learn how to pitch somehow!"

White Sox fans can breath easy...Giants are the winner of throwing away money on Omar Vizquel.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7887714

3-years, $12.25 million. Now Vizquel did have a pretty good year last season but at his age committing to a three-year contract to him is fairly stupid. I guess after the horror of having Neifi Perez out there they felt desperate to sign a shortstop.

White Sox fans can breath easy...Giants are the winner of throwing away money on Omar Vizquel.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7887714

3-years, $12.25 million. Now Vizquel did have a pretty good year last season but at his age committing to a three-year contract to him is fairly stupid. I guess after the horror of having Neifi Perez out there they felt desperate to sign a shortstop.

The Cubs re-signed Neifi Perez.

Marlins are working heavily on acquiring Jose Guillen from the Angels. The Angels want Juan Pierre and the Marlins aren't doing that. There are rumors that we might have to give up Jason Stokes for Guillen, so I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

go Giants!

there are also rumors of a three way involving Arizona (RJ) Angels (Guillen), and Florida (prospects)

Guest Anglesault

Fans are emailing Cashman in droves asking him to not sign Milton. I've never heard of such a thing. It's kind of embarassing.

The latest from Gammons:

Scott Boras is asking for five years and $65 million for Jason Varitek, and the Red Sox won't give it to him even though Varitek is the soul of the team.

Oh that Scott Boras is just wacky I says! So $65 million is how much the Red Sox soul costs...

Baseball Primer's Transaction Oracle on the Omar Vizquel signing:

It looks like the San Francisco Giants will need to move their offices to the area of the city known as the Tenderloin in order to provide its employees with the convenient and steady source of cocaine that will be needed on a daily basis to make this signing look wise. Vizquel's still a good player, but both of his offense and defense have been in gradual design and this signs him for his age 38, 39, and 40 seasons. He's already failed one physical.

This signing isn't bad just for Vizquel, either - the Giants are unlikely to spend much money this offseason and this signing represents a large percentage of this winter's new outlay. That still leaves protection for Bonds - while most sabermetric-oriented people, myself included, aren't believers in the theory of strong protection, the theory of weak protection, that it affects intentional walks, is generally undisputed. The Giants have one of the most valuable hitters in major league history and every free dollar should be devoted to making it so that Bonds is given as much an opportunity to hit as possible. Of course, the Neifi signing is worse.

From what I've heard, Boras also wants a no-trade for Tek, which would mean a 13 million dollar contract with a no-trade clause given to a 32 year old catcher that plays 4/5 of his team's games.

I like Tek and all, but...

No one is going to give Tek that contract. Teams don't need a catcher THAT badly. He'll probably end up settling for a lower amount, wether it's in Boston (they aren't going to dick around in the offseason) or somewhere else.

Al's Guide to Pissing away a shot at a championship....

1. Find an aging player who nearly broke the league average at the plate last season.

2. Make sure he has a defensive reputation that he can no longer fulfill.

3. Move him from a hitters' park to a pitchers' haven.

4. Sign him to a three year contract, so you will still pay him when he is 40.

Seriously, Vizquel's .741 OPS was considered a great year for him. They're getting him for defense? Vizquel is 38. He's not a great defensive shortstop anymore. Just look at the market. Christian Guzman, Jose Valentin, Pokey Reese, Ramon Martinez, Craig Counsell, Orlanso Cabrera, and Edgar Martinez are still available. Each of them are just as adequate in the field, half would come cheaper, and the other half can hit better.

BAD, BAD signing for the Giants.

Guest Anglesault

And yet trying to sign a career below average, home run machine lefty who can't get lefties out and bringing him to Yankee Stadium is going to be peachy.

And yet trying to sign a career below average, home run machine lefty who can't get lefties out and bringing him to Yankee Stadium is going to be peachy.

I am not suggesting the Yankees should sign Eric Milton at all costs. They should sign him if the price is reasonable.

Guest Anglesault

I am not suggesting the Yankees should sign Eric Milton at all costs. They should sign him if the price is reasonable.

Why should they sign him?

What on earth does he offer this team than any other pitcher doesn't?

1. Find an aging player who nearly broke the league average at the plate last season.

Seriously, Vizquel's .741 OPS was considered a great year for him. They're getting him for defense? Vizquel is 38. He's not a great defensive shortstop anymore. Just look at the market. Christian Guzman, Jose Valentin, Pokey Reese, Ramon Martinez, Craig Counsell, Orlanso Cabrera, and Edgar Martinez are still available. Each of them are just as adequate in the field, half would come cheaper, and the other half can hit better.

Edgar Martinez?

Like I have stated a thousand times before, he is a pitcher whose traits are well suited to Yankee Stadium. As for what he offers over other pitchers, I don't know if you noticed, but the Yankees pitching tended to blow at times last year. Even if he does not improve his 2004 ERA, he still represents a marked improvement for the Yankee pitching staff.

Seriously, Vizquel's .741 OPS was considered a great year for him.  They're getting him for defense?  Vizquel is 38.  He's not a great defensive shortstop anymore.  Just look at the market.  Christian Guzman, Jose Valentin, Pokey Reese, Ramon Martinez, Craig Counsell, Orlanso Cabrera, and Edgar Martinez are still available.  Each of them are just as adequate in the field, half would come cheaper, and the other half can hit better.

Edgar Martinez?

Martinez doesn't meet point one. In Martinez's last year, in which he considered himself not good enough to continue playing, he still outhit Omar Vizquel.

Al, do you think Edgar could've served a purpose past a reliable bench player?

Edgar could still crush left handed hitters. Used properly, he could remain productive as a platoon DH/pinch hitter. But that's an extremely niche market, and I think he got out when the time was right.

Guest Anglesault

Like I have stated a thousand times before, he is a pitcher whose traits are well suited to Yankee Stadium.

A meatball pitcher with a total inability to get lefties out. There's a promising combination.

As for what he offers over other pitchers, I don't know if you noticed, but the Yankees pitching tended to blow at times last year

The solution isn't a career below average pitcher. In fact, I'd call that about as far from the solution as I can think.

Better than what we had, but still quite bad, means nothing.

I'm just in shock over the Vizquel signing. I can understand 1 or 2 years at 3 million, but paying for his services beyond that is just... I don't know.

And then when we don't make the play-offs again, our GM is just gonna throw his hands in the air and claim he had no payroll flexibility to work with. Stop overpaying palyers! We're still sitting on Edgardo Alfonzo's contract because of his total reliance on 'veteran' talent when we could've just played Pedro Feliz for peanuts.

Washington signs Cristian Guzman to a 4 yr 16.8 million dollar contract also signs Vinny Castilla to a 2 year 6.2 million dollar contract

Cory Lidle signs 2 yr 6.3 million dollar contract with the Phillies

Guest Chris2005

I am suprised that Washington is actually going out and signing players. Hasn't anybody learned that Castilla is nothing without Coors.