TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Urgh. I hope Pavano becomes another in a long line of players who wilt under the New York spotlight. He only had one good year to begin with. I can deal with players leaving the Marlins, but I'll never like them again if they go to the Yankees.

In the winter of '08, if the Marlins aren't smart enough to lock him up before then... I will have to deal with Miguel Cabrera's free agency, and if he goes to the Yankees... I may have a nervous breakdown.

After being directed to a certain thread here by a friend and seeing this post it makes the signings of Jaret Wright and Tony Womack along with the aquisition of Mike Stanton all the funnier.

Where the fuck did he get the notion of Barry Zito going to the Yanks? Thats fucked. Fucking Yankees fans. I almost hate you as much as Red Sox fans.

It was rumored at the time with Zito having a horrible year and all. It would have only worked in a 3 way, since the Yanks don't have the best minor leaguers. Jeez. Cry me a river.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
After being directed to a certain thread here by a friend and seeing this post it makes the signings of Jaret Wright and Tony Womack along with the aquisition of Mike Stanton all the funnier.

Where the fuck did he get the notion of Barry Zito going to the Yanks? Thats fucked. Fucking Yankees fans. I almost hate you as much as Red Sox fans.

It was rumored at the time with Zito having a horrible year and all. It would have only worked in a 3 way, since the Yanks don't have the best minor leaguers. Jeez. Cry me a river.

No it wasn't. I'd personally slap Billy Beane if he sent any of his Big three to the Red Sox or Yanks. As if you cunts can buy everyone.

No it wasn't. I'd personally slap Billy Beane if he sent any of his Big three to the Red Sox or Yanks. As if you cunts can buy everyone.

You don't buy someone through a trade.

I'm still not convinced Hudson is going anywhere, especially with the Braves refusing to trade Giles. It's just not Beane's style to feel forced to trade a player in a walk year.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

You don't buy someone through a trade.

Sure they do. The Brewers could also get in the sweepstakes, but Hudson would never agree because he wants a fat, long term contract in it all. Its about sending Hudson to a big spending team who will match his demands.

Guest Failed Mascot

Hudson doesn't have a no-trade clause. He has to go where he's told to go. I'm sure though that many teams are going to ask for permission to come to terms with him on an extension before they're willing to trade for him though. If the Brewers wanted Tim Hudson for one year though then they could probably get him using a package of Rickie Weeks and others.

Oakland can cry small market all they want, but when the team literally across the bay from them can spend nearly $90mill no problem then it becomes a moot point. The Oakland owners are cheap and want a new ballpark before they consider spending any of their money.

The deal Oakland has wanted from the beginning was a three way trade involving St Louis and Cincinnati for Hudson, with the reds receiving Hudson. They wanted Adam Dunn, but cincy's financial situation made the deal impossible. That is what was reported all day in Cincy. I guess they can move to plan B.

Guest Failed Mascot
Why is San Fran the favoured team anyways, when the As have won 4 WS in Oakland and the Giants have won jack since moving west?

top.barry.bonds.1.ap.jpg

Of course all this could change now that he's officially tied to taking steroids. Alot of Cali baseball fans don't have that diehard fan attitude. I'm not saying all of them, but most of them just hop over to whatever team has the biggest story at the moment. Alot of Angels fans from the looks of things were Dodgers fans before 2002.

The only real diehard fans appear to be the Athletics fans, and of course they aren't getting good press often because their owner refuses to spend a little more and alot of the fan related issues are negative. Such as bullpen brawls, trash being rained down on the field from left, and that cell phone that was thrown at an OF whom I always forget.

In the end they keep their diehards but lose the casual fans to Roidy McCheater.

Guest Brian

I wouldn't expect it to change. People will show up, especially when he nears 714. And they have a great ballpark now.

Baseball-reference.com has a compare teams feature. Using this, one can view attendance data for both clubs. San Francisco's dominance did indeed begin in 1993, with the arrival of Barry Bonds. However, there are mitigating circumstances. For one, the Giants' attendance wasn't great, it was just that the Athletics began a stretch where they weren't very good. Also, that year marked a point where the Giants stopped talking relocation to Tampa Bay.

The only time Oakland has really drawn big, big crowds is during the Bash Brother days. Their attendance even during the 1972-74 championship run is remarkably poor. Of course, the Baltimore Orioles suffered the same phenomenon. The Giants drew less than a million fans as recently as 1985. Looking at their numbers, their real attendance spike occured when they opened their new park in 2000, and attendance jumped by a million fans. They have not drawn more fans in any following year, despite the home run outburst.

In conclusion, I would say the ballpark is why the Giants outdraw the Athletics.

Hey Al, with the Winter Meetings thread, do we still need this one? Seems like people are talking about the same things in both of them.

Hey Al, with the Winter Meetings thread, do we still need this one? Seems like people are talking about the same things in both of them.

As long as there is productive conversation in both, I see no reason to close any.

Guest I *Heart* Jeff Weaver
Pavano will be to the Yankees in '05 what Vazquez was to them in '04. Both are okay pitchers, but they can't come close to reaching expectations.

Pavano does have some experience in important games.

Pavano will be to the Yankees in '05 what Vazquez was to them in '04. Both are okay pitchers, but they can't come close to reaching expectations.

Don't Hate.

Guest Failed Mascot

Paul Byrd is headed to Anaheim. He agreed to terms with them on a one year deal. This leaves Atlanta having paid him about $1mill per start while he was there.

The Phillies pulled off an interesting move, claiming Chris Gomez in the minor league phase of the rule V draft. Gomez was just signed by Baltimore to a minor league contract a few weeks ago.