TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Kind of left field, but what about making Glavine a reliever? It worked for Smoltz....

I never thought of Glavine being the type suited for relief (he doesn't have the speed Smoltz has)...I expect a rebound for him this year (better offense/defense, not getting into a car accident :lol: )

Yeah, that whole Taxi accident thing was pretty fucked up. He seemed really shaken up by it from the interviews I saw/read, and he'd had a great year before it happened and kind of fell off after that.

Yeah, that whole Taxi accident thing was pretty fucked up. He seemed really shaken up by it from the interviews I saw/read, and he'd had a great year before it happened and kind of fell off after that.

He had an ERA of 2.92 before it happened...people have unfairly shat upon Glavine this offseason

If the Mets trade Looper without getting another closer somewhere else, then Minaya goes down a peg in my book. The next thing you'll hear is that Rick Peterson can "fix" Kyle Farnsworth, I can see it now. Hopefully, they can get rid of that sac of crap Aaron Heilman, and keep Seo for long relief.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays are close to signing drafted SP Jeff Niemann to an MLC.

Milwaukee Brewers signed SP Rick Helling to an MLC and invited him to spring training.

Pittsburgh Pirates signed SP Kip Wells to a 1 year, $3.175 Million contract.

A's avoided arbitration with Erubiel Durazo and signed him to a one-year contract worth $4.7 million. I like the money but too bad they couldn't agree on at least another year.

This Day in Transaction History, January 15th

1990: Detroit Tigers signed Cecil Fielder as a free agent.

2002: Los Angeles Dodgers traded Gary Sheffield to Atlanta Braves in exchange for Brian Jordan, Odalis Perez and Andy Brown.

2003: Chicago White Sox traded Rocky Biddle, Orlando Hernandez, Jeff Liefer and cash to Montreal Expos in exchange for Bartolo Colon and Jorge Nunez.

Word out of the NY papers is that Mike Cameron could be on his way to the A's for Eric Byrnes. This is if Byrnes isn't traded to the Diamondbacks first for Jose Valverde. I know the A's coveted Cameron last off season, so the deal makes sense I guess

Pittsburgh Pirates lent extra option years to SP Dave Williams and C J.R. House

Pittsburgh Pirates are close to signing MR Albie Lopez to an MLC.

San Diego Padres re-signed MR Scott Linebrink to a 2 year, $2.275 Million contract with a team option for 2007 at $1.75 Million, which could rise to $2.25 Million based on appearances.

San Diego Padres signed SP Miguel Asencio to a 1 year contract.

Oakland Athletics signed 3B Bobby Smith to an MLC and invited him to spring training.

Chicago Cubs signed MR Chad Fox to an MLC and invited him to spring training.

Baltimore Orioles signed 3B Chris Stynes to an MLC and invited him to spring training.

Washington Nationals agreed to a 1 year, $1.45 Million contract with 1B Nick Johnson.

Chicago White Sox agreed to a 2 year, $5.25 Million contract with a team option of $5 Million or player option of $3.25 Million in 2007 with OF Aaron Rowand.

Today is the day: Delgado's meeting with Loria and Beinfest. They are pulling out all the stops. They have the championship rings out on display, Jack McKeon and most of the players are going to make cameo appearances including ex-teammate Al Leiter.

The article I read also mentioned two key things: Delgado is well aware how well he would fit into the lineup and that his addition would be tremendous, and also, the Marlins are prepared to offer a 4th year if absolutely necessary.

I have a really good feeling about this.

This could be bullshit but considering the player it wouldn't be a shock if it were true.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...SPG6IAQNH81.DTL

One of those now-it-can-be-told stories the White Sox, A.J. Pierzynski's new employer, surely haven't heard: During a Giants exhibition game last spring, Pierzynski took a shot to his, shall we say, private parts. Trainer Stan Conte rushed to the scene, placed his hands on Pierzynski's shoulders in a reassuring way, and asked how it felt. "Like this," said Pierzynski, viciously delivering a knee to Conte's groin. It was a real test of professionalism for the enraged Conte, who vowed to ignore Pierzynski for the rest of the season until Conte realized how that would look. The incident went unreported because all of the beat writers happened to be doing in-game interviews in the clubhouse, but it was corroborated by a half-dozen eyewitnesses who could hardly believe their eyes. Said one source, as reliable as they come: "There is absolutely no doubt that it happened."

Today is the day: Delgado's meeting with Loria and Beinfest. They are pulling out all the stops. They have the championship rings out on display, Jack McKeon and most of the players are going to make cameo appearances including ex-teammate Al Leiter.

The article I read also mentioned two key things: Delgado is well aware how well he would fit into the lineup and that his addition would be tremendous, and also, the Marlins are prepared to offer a 4th year if absolutely necessary.

Shit, I'd rather him go to the O's than play for Loria. C'mon Mets, don't let me down.

Shit, I'd rather him go to the O's than play for Loria. C'mon Mets, don't let me down.

Yeah Mets, don't let me down! And it's nice to see Al Leiter try to become a GM for the Marlins. God knows him and Franco did that a lot.

This could be bullshit but considering the player it wouldn't be a shock if it were true.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...SPG6IAQNH81.DTL

One of those now-it-can-be-told stories the White Sox, A.J. Pierzynski's new employer, surely haven't heard: During a Giants exhibition game last spring, Pierzynski took a shot to his, shall we say, private parts. Trainer Stan Conte rushed to the scene, placed his hands on Pierzynski's shoulders in a reassuring way, and asked how it felt. "Like this," said Pierzynski, viciously delivering a knee to Conte's groin. It was a real test of professionalism for the enraged Conte, who vowed to ignore Pierzynski for the rest of the season until Conte realized how that would look. The incident went unreported because all of the beat writers happened to be doing in-game interviews in the clubhouse, but it was corroborated by a half-dozen eyewitnesses who could hardly believe their eyes. Said one source, as reliable as they come: "There is absolutely no doubt that it happened."

I don't condone what he did if its true, but my god thats hilarious.

:D

AJ's my new favorite player.

Why. For being a stupid asshole. That's a bush league act, and it's no doubt true considering who the player is. Here's hoping AJ gets a fastball square in middle of the back against Minnesota this year.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

for nutting the Giant's trainer you hope the Twins bean him?

OMG Chris Stynes!

The signings keep getting better*

And lets keep that trend up..

The Os also signed Tony Saunders to a minor league contract.

Who is Tony Saunders you ask?

A 30 year old pitcher who hasn't pitched in 5 years since his arm basically shattered while throwing a pitch.

Kline

Baldwin

Stynes

Saunders

Im wondering who they could sign next that would top Saunders. I cant wait.

* Where better actually is progressively worse.

Yes. He effectively retired at the time. He hasn't thrown a pitch in four years, and there is certainly no record of a player returning from two of these injuries. Saunders return the first time was a long-shot. But its only a minor league deal, and I'd love to see Saunders pull this off.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/12/12/Sports/E...ers_attem.shtml

Yes. He effectively retired at the time. He hasn't thrown a pitch in four years, and there is certainly no record of a player returning from two of these injuries. Saunders return the first time was a long-shot. But its only a minor league deal, and I'd love to see Saunders pull this off.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/12/12/Sports/E...ers_attem.shtml

He was on the 1997 Marlins - I actually forgot he existed until Al reminded me about six months ago.

Also, Carlos Delgado was said to be very impressed with yesterdays function. I just have a gut feeling he'll be hitting in the 4 hole in Miami for the next 3 years.