TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

No, no. The best choice would be the Mets.

Any team that may help Fat Rodge back into the playoffs again is a team I'm not willing to cheer for.

Beltran needs to come to the big city.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

"Fat Rodge" isn't even signed yet. and "fat rodge"? still better then 99.9% pitchers today.

still a scumbag but a amazing pitching scumbag

^

The man makes a good point.

Despite the talent Clemens might have, I just cannot root for more success for someone that is so clearly an asshole. I don't think it's even a matter of IF Fat Rodge will resign with the Astros, but when. Beltran resigning with the Astros would only help Clemens, so it is my job to root against such a signing.

Plus, of course, I'm a Mets fan and all. But that's besides the point.

Errr that's a career evaluation, not who's the better player now. Beltran has been better than Jeter the last two years and is three years younger.

Past 2 years, the average OPB between them has been similar (Jeter .393, and .352, Beltran .389, and .362) Jeter's still had more doubles, more hits (and Jeter only played 119 games 2 years ago), and that's about it. Jeter's had higher OBP's throughout his career, and is a better hitter. Beltran has him with the slugging though.

When you take a look over a career evaluation, Jeter clearly has better hitting statistics. When you look at their current ability, however, it is much closer. As has been stated, Jeter is as adept at reaching base as Beltran, and I would still rate Jeter higher, because 2004 was a down year for Jeter.

The problem is, once you get past OBP, it is Beltran all the way. As stated, Beltran is a much more prevailent slugger. Beltran has posted a higher slugging percentage than Jeter each of the last five years. In addition, Beltran has many, many skills beyond hitting. While Jeter is an excellent base-stealer, Beltran is so off-the-charts dominant on the basepaths it's ridiculous. Beltran's current 89% success rate is the greatest ever. His 2004 basestealing mark of 28 for 28 is a National League record for consecutive successes, in just half a season! Beltran's fielding is much better than Jeter, who is often criticized for his poor range.

Using Win Shares, the system rates Beltran better in 2003 and 2004. With Jeter past his prime, I don't see reason for that pattern to change, barring injury.

looks like Beltran is going to resign with the Astros. Of course this being the Mets, they are the only team in history to offer a Scott Boras client the most money and not get him. No big time free agent will ever come to the Mets unless they just ungodly overpay them. This is why the Mets have to make dumb moves all the time, they have to offer BY FAR the most money.

Strummer, you have a link or anything?

Astros Favored to Sign Beltran in the Nick of Time

By JACK CURRY

Published: January 8, 2005

The mystery about where Carlos Beltran will play center field in 2005 could be solved today since the Houston Astros, one of his primary suitors and perhaps one of his only two suitors, have a midnight deadline to sign him.

If the Astros do not reach an agreement with Beltran by the end of the day, they would be forbidden to negotiate with him until May 1 because he declined salary arbitration. That would end Houston's chance of signing Beltran, and he would play for another team this season - most likely the Mets, Beltran's other obvious salivating suitor.

Advertisement

Still, a prominent executive with a major league team said the prevailing thought throughout Major League Baseball was that Beltran will return to the Astros. It seems doubtful today will pass without some resolution because Scott Boras, Beltran's agent, does not want a team eliminated from what has seemingly evaporated into a two-team skirmish.

Unless the Yankees suddenly make an offer, it appears as if Beltran will stay with the Astros or give the Mets another marquee free agent to join Pedro Martínez.

Three Yankees officials said George Steinbrenner, the team's principal owner, has not mentioned Beltran in more than a week. Steinbrenner declined to comment on Beltran yesterday.

The Astros and the Mets have offered Beltran 7-year deals in excess of $100 million, with the Mets believed to be offering more at $112 million. But with no state income tax in Texas, the offers are almost identical.

The Mets have ordered their employees not to discuss Beltran, so Mets officials have not commented on him since some of them visited him in Puerto Rico earlier this week.

Boras, who has not responded to telephone messages, was quoted in The New York Post on Thursday as saying that five teams had offered Beltran contracts of at least 7 years and $112 million. Boras had said those contractual conditions were the minimum bid for a team to be engaged in the negotiations.

Since the Yankees are only monitoring the discussions, the Detroit Tigers have said they are not in the running and the Chicago Cubs do not think they are serious competitors for Beltran, it is hard to imagine that five teams have made such lavish offers.

As the Mets continue to chase Beltran, they are, in some ways, trying to duplicate what they did in signing Martínez to a 4-year, $53 million contract. The Mets are trying to persuade Beltran to leave a team where he was successful and comfortable, although it was only for three months. Martínez, of course, spent seven excellent and entertaining seasons in Boston.

Even though it was believed that Martínez would return to the Red Sox, the Mets secured him by offering another year and $12.5 million more than Boston did. Whether Omar Minaya, the Mets' general manager, can have the same type of success in luring Beltran is uncertain.

If the Yankees remain on the sideline and Beltran has to choose between similar offers from the Astros and the Mets, it is reasonable to wonder why he would pick the Mets.

Beltran had a superb postseason for the Astros, hitting .435 with 8 homers, 14 runs batted in and 6 stolen bases in 12 games, and almost leading them to their first World Series appearance.

Because Beltran is sensitive, some baseball executives think he is better suited for the calmer atmosphere in Houston, where he has been embraced and has blended in. If Beltran does sign with Houston, there is a stronger chance that Roger Clemens, the National League's Cy Young Award winner, would return to pitch another season for the Astros.

But if Beltran signs with the Mets, he would become the pinup boy for an organization that has averaged 71 victories in the past three seasons and would be in a pressure-filled spot. Beltran would not be an anonymous star on the Mets because he would be their highest-paid and most notable player.

The Mets have maintained a dialogue with Carlos Delgado's agent and could try to sign Delgado, a free-agent first baseman, if they do not get Beltran. David Sloane, Delgado's agent, said the Mets are one of several teams having serious discussions about Delgado. The Baltimore Orioles and the Texas Rangers are also interested.

"We're not close to a deal," Sloane said, "but we're not far, either."

While the Mets waited to hear from Boras, they wondered about things they could not control, including if Steinbrenner was prepared to pounce. Steinbrenner was obsessed with obtaining Randy Johnson, but so far has shown little enthusiasm for adding Beltran. That surely bothers Boras, who knows the Yankees could pump up the price even if they do not sign Beltran.

As fans purchased all of the Yankees' spring training tickets in Tampa, Fla., yesterday, Steinbrenner told The Associated Press that he was pleased with the changes the team had made in the off-season. He did not answer questions about Beltran or Beltran's next baseball address. But by tonight, Beltran might finally have one.

looks like Beltran is going to resign with the Astros. Of course this being the Mets, they are the only team in history to offer a Scott Boras client the most money and not get him. No big time free agent will ever come to the Mets unless they just ungodly overpay them. This is why the Mets have to make dumb moves all the time, they have to offer BY FAR the most money.

From Article:

The Astros and the Mets have offered Beltran 7-year deals in excess of $100 million, with the Mets believed to be offering more at $112 million. But with no state income tax in Texas, the offers are almost identical.

Well, that article doesn't really say anything.

To summarize: The Mets and the Astros are both in contention to sign Carlos Beltran. The Astros have to do it by Midnight, Saturday. A baseball official from neither the Mets nor the Astros believes Beltran will sign with Houston. Boras is surprised the Yankees haven't offered much yet.

Basically, this is everything we knew a week ago.

I'm not saying I don't think Beltran will sign with Houston - to be honest, that's been my opinion since the beginning of the offseason - but that article does absolutely nothing to prove such a thing.

Just wait until the contract signing is official.

yeah, Curry is pretty reliable, just don't know whether to believe "the vast majority of baseball executives" are saying he's going back to Houston. I still think he's resigning with Houston tomorrow, unless the Yankees swoop in.

Guest Failed Mascot

Dodgers close to bringing in Derek Lowe. 4 years/$36 mill

Kevin Millar could be headed to Toronto. To which I say good riddance.

Guest Failed Mascot

dunno. Since it would be a cash dump move it would be a low level prospect.

Expect Kevin Millar to spend alot of time in that bar behind homeplate though.

dunno. Since it would be a cash dump move it would be a low level prospect.

Expect Kevin Millar to spend alot of time in that bar behind homeplate though.

Given the fuss that Doug Last Name I Can't Spell But Starts With M is making over that baseball, I wouldn't be suprised if hes' the one who is

going to be kicked to the curb and Millar kept instead....

All the Florida papers have reported the Marlins have made a 3 year offer to Carlos Delgado that surpasses $30 million dollars. He's said to be seriously considering it.

Perfect. Anyone know off hand what left handed hitter had the most HRs in last year's Marlins lineup?? Juan Pierre. They need a left handed bat. This would move Conine back to the OF and put Juan Encarnacion on the bench where he belongs.

Jason Stokes can wait or be traded, he seems to have girly wrists like Adrian Gonzalez did anyway.

Also, the Marlins are about to finalize a 3 year, 18 million dollar deal with Paul LoDuca.

A's are rumored to be close to trading Eric Byrnes to the Diamondbacks for a combination of Scott Hairston, Conor Jackson, and Carlos Quentin. If the A's get two of those players this will be a complete fleecing of a deal. Byrnes would play center for the D-Backs and that would not be a pretty sight.

A's are also rumored to be close to signing 36-year old Japanese pitcher Keiichi Yabu. He's probably being signed in case Dan Meyer starts the year in Triple-A.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

if they get Jackson and Quentin, we'll have to invent a new word. Cosmo-fleecing is my choice.

That can't be true. No team is dumb enough to trade away a player the likes of Conor Jackson. I think Quentin's a little over-rated, but for Byrnes? Does Billy Beane know how to influence people or what?

As an aside, does anyone know how soon I should look into getting tickets for some of the Cubs/Reds games in Cincy for July? I'd imagine I have time to do so, but with the Cubs' popularity still obvious across the country, you never know.