TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JasonX

How I would resolve "Avengers Disassembled"

OK this is my way of how I'd resolve Avengers Dissembled without resorting to the preferred method of having She-Hulk wake up after a lengthy bad dream and finds Scott Lang in the shower and Hawkeye in her living room playing Playstation

Avengers #503

In Avengers #503, the issue opens with Hank wandering the halls of the hospital when he stumbles upon Kelsey Leigh waiting outside the pediactric wing of the hospital where Wasp is at. Hank is shocked to find her there and the fact that she has been in America for over a year, as her son is terminally ill and receiving treatment via the Maria Stark Foundation. Hank freaks out when Kelsey comments that she's never met the Avengers before and that she's never been Captain Britian. Hank then rushes off to Kelsey's hospital room where he finds Scarlet Witch waiting for him.

Wanda tells Hank that he's found out too much. Hank starts to argue with Wanda about what's going on but Wanda keeps butting in and finishing Hank's sentences, to his horror. Wanda zaps Hank with a hex and leaves the hospital, while muttering that things are spirally out of control once again.

At the mansion, Strange appears and starts claiming that magic is at work and responsible for the Avengers trouble. Everyone starts pointing to Wanda as Iron Man and then Wanda arrives. Wanda is extremely calm and collected when she is confronted with the accusations that she's lost control over her powers. Wonder Man comes to Wanda's defense and starts giving a list of other villains that might be to blame, starting with Korvac. Wanda then breaks and yells to Simon "no..." when Strange suddenly turns around and blasts Simon into ash. A huge ass fight breaks out as Strange morphs into Michael Korvac, who slaughters the bulk of the Avengers present in one huge blast of energy.

The dust clears as Korvac reveals that he's responsible thanks to Wanda and that today is the day that the Avengers die. The surviving Avengers fight as Wanda reveals to Iron Man (before killing him via causing his armor to electricute him) that Korvac has promised to give her new, non-demonic versions of her twins if she helps destroy the Avengers. We learn, as Korvac fights Captain America, that right before the first Chuck Austen arc the Avangers discovered the Zodiac Key on their doorsteps and that Wanda used her "hex" power to activate the key and used her probability altering powers to use it to create a window in time for Korvaks to reform himself and seek revenge against the Avengers for foiling his attempt to conquer the Earth and "bring about peace". He tells Captain America that he assumed Kelsey Leigh's identity and with the help of Wanda created the whole "Lionheart of Avalon" arc as a means to infiltrate the Avengers and watch the team squirm as he and Wanda destroyed them.

But as he delivers the killing blow to Captain America, he tells the group that each time he fails and has Wanda "reset" time so that he can try again. It's at this point Thor shows up and Korvak and Thor fight, culminating in Wanda pulling out her magic powers and pushing the old cosmic reset button. Everything fades to red as Korvak gloats that Thor can't stop him and that time is on his side.

We cut back to the very beginning of Avengers #500 as we see the Avengers at the same table, talking about the Viper but with one huge difference: Instead of Captain Britian at the table we see Sentry! Korvak is now possing as "Kid Sentry" (think Kid Miracleman), the young sidekick of Sentry. The conversation goes as normal until Hawkeye starts commenting how he feels like he's had this conversation a million times before.

At the UN we see a brand new scene as Hank is acting all stressed out and restless. He tells Wanda that he's felt like he hasn't slept in days, which Wanda agrees with by saying she knows how he feels. Hank starts to complain that he remembers doing something several minutes ago when Tony walks up to the two of them and tells them that they have ten minutes until he speaks and starts showing signs of him being unable to walk. Hank accuses Tony of being drunk but Wanda tells Hank that Tony is just worn out from fighting Korvak. Tony and Hank do a double take as Wanda starts to backpeddle but it's too late. Hank suddenly remembers everything that's happened in the previous time loop and warns them that the mansion is going to blow up.

We then get treated to a retred of the exact same pages of Jack of Hearts exploding and killing Ant Man. When the team finds Jack of Heart's arm bones, Hawkeye chimes in that this is all so horribly familiar as we cut back to Wanda, Hank, and Tony all being zapped by Korvak. Korvak grabs Wanda by her hair and blathers that she's failed him and will now face the consequences. He brings out Vision and Wanda watches as Korvak sticks several orbs into Vision's mouth. Vision is then sent onto his way as Korvak wakes Iron Man and Hank up and send them out there to give their speach with their memories blurred slightly so that they don't remember Wanda saying Korvak's name...

We get a confrontation with Wanda and Korvak as Korvak asks Wanda if she wants him to kill her now or if she will continue with the plan. Wanda begs Korvak to kill her and recall Vision so he doesn't get destroyed again. Korvak scoffs at this and tells Wanda that he's sick and tired of Thor foiling his plans as he is the only Avenger who can stop him. Wanda is ordered to prepare to use the Zodiac Key to destroy Thor when he shows up as he leaves.

We cut back to the hospital as Hank runs into Kelsey and is talked into coming to visit her dying son. We get some banter between Hank and Kelsey as Kelsey explains her backstory about her scar when he suddenly sees the Kree ships appear in the sky. Hank rushes out to join his fellow Avengers when he is greated by a shocking figure who freaks Hank out.

Back to the mansion, we see the Kree fighting the Avengers and this time around Hawkeye is prevented from dying as Hank tosses him out of the way when the Kree soldier shoots at Hank. Korvak/Kid Sentry shows up and destroys the Kree which leads to him to bullshit about how Hank Pym is responsible for the death and carnage. Hawkeye calls bullshit on this when Wanda shows up wielding the Zodiac Key right behind Korvak/Kid Sentry. Hank accuses Kid Sentry to be the one behind the chaos when Iron Man shows up. We see Wanda and Korvak whispering that things aren't going according to plan when Korvak/Kid Sentry yells to Iron Man that Hank's to blame and that the motive comes from when he caught Hawkeye in bed with Wasp. Iron Man meanwhile starts to remember being zapped and fires a blast at Kid Sentry, pissing him off and making him show himself to be Korvak. Big fight ensues and this time around, Hawkeye ends up dying by way of jumping in front of an energy blast meant for Hank. Dying Hawkeye tells Hank that he's sorry for being a jerk and Hank response by going giant-sized and attacking Wanda, crushing her body and forcing her to drop the Zodiac Key.

Korvac grabs the key and threatens to kill the Avengers when Thor shows up. Thor is uber-pissed and kills Korvac by bashing his head with the hammer until his head is a bloody smear on the pavement. Everyone freaks out as the Zodiac Key starts to glow and implodes into a tear in the space-time as the Avengers freak out over how to close it. Suddenly though the tear closes onto itself as we see Wanda, badly injured but still alive, using her powers to destroy the key. Wanda is badly injured and near death as she explains how she sold the Avengers out for the chance of being reunited with her children and begs for forgiveness. As the Avengers debate what they should do as they stand over the dying Scarlet Witch, Hank offers a suggest that they hand her over to the person who helped him get to the mansion in time: MAGNETO.

Avengers Finale

Magneto appears, to the horror of everyone. Nick Fury tries to kill him but Magneto has a force-field that keeps Fury at bay. He explains how someone impersonated him after the destruction of Genosha, which leads to some rhetoric between Cap and Magneto over how America created the Sentinels that wiped out the country and how Magneto personally thinks that the thousands that died in NYC don't even rate comparing to the millions that died in Genosha. Magneto explains that he's been working with Professor X to rebuild Genosha/find out who it was that took his form and murdered the New Yorkers and offers to take Scarlet Witch off the Avengers hands so that she can heal with her father and Xavier. Cap gives permission and Magneto flies off, causing Nick Fury to bitchslap Cap for letting Magneto waltz in and take away Wanda. Cap tells Nick that enough fighting has happened today and walks off without a word.

The rest of the issue deals with the fall-out:

Iron Man and Falcon get She-Hulk out of US Custody and piss SHIELD off in the process.

Hank announces that he's leaving the team to help take care of Jan, who's suffered massive internal injuries that will require her to stay in her normal size for a year/year and a half tops so that she can heal properly.

Hawkeye is buried. Mach-3 and Songbird show up (to plug the new T-Bolts series) and vow to continue Hawk's legacy by reforming the T-Bolts in his honor. Meanwhile Hank gives Scott Lang's ex-wife a visit and comes into a nasty mess where we see Scott's ex-wife's new husband beating Cassie up while telling her that her dad was a worthless piece of trash that deserved to die. Hank shrinks down and watches as Cassie's mom literally tosses her daughter back to her evil step-father and tells Cassie that she was glad that Scott was dead and that she deserved to be beaten like she was. Hank procedes to grow to his normal size and beats Cassie's step-father to a bloody pulp in a one-sided fight. He then grabs Cassie takes her out of the home, telling Cassie's mom that he's use all of his power to make sure she never sees her daughter again.

Cap meets up with Bruce Banner for a sit-down talk. Cap apologizes for letting Bruce take the blame for She-Hulk's rampage in "Search for She-Hulk" and talks about how the Avengers are in ruin: Hawkeye's dead, Wanda's injured/betrayed the team, Jan's injuries forcing her out of the hero business for the time being, Hank quitting to take care of her, Thor leaving the team do to his commitments with Asgard, and now the revelation that Korvac infiltrated the team and serving as members of both genders. Cap tells Bruce that he doesn't know what he'll do now especially given how the Avengers are his only family. Bruce tells Cap to continue the Avengers if the team is truly that important to him. Cap then invites Bruce to come to a memorial dinner that the Avengers are having in Hawkeye and Scott Lang's memory. Bruce says no but Cap basically begs him into saying yes.

Iron Man (without his armor on) and She-Hulk return to the remains of the Avengers mansion and find that Nick Fury has gone and got a court order banning the team from returning to the mansion and rebuilding it until further notice. She-Hulk threatens to sue but a completely exhausted Iron Man refuses to do so at the moment. She-Hulk drives Tony

to the Wasp's place (where the team has relocated at the moment) and asks Tony if he's talked to any of the other Avengerrs about coming back onto the team so as to keep it going. Tony says no, he hasn't talked to anyone and is just so shocked over the events of the last couple of days that he can't think straight. She-Hulk then announces that she's leaving the team to devote more time to her law career which Tony approves of.

The Avengers hold a big dinner to honor Hawkeye and Ant Man's memory at a loft rented out by She-Hulk's law firm. Cap announces that he is going to continue the Avengers with Iron Man's help. We see the Avengers giving both Hawkeye and Scott Lang a fairwell toast as Jan proposes marriage to Hank at the banquet. Hank accepts and the couple gets cheered on by the crowd of heroes.

We cut to Iron Man and Captain America at the remains of the Avengers mansion several weeks later. They remember back to old times and comments about how thanks to She-Hulk and her law firm, Jan and Hank have successfully gotten temporary custody over Cassie thanks to She-Hulk's law firm and that Cassie's step-dad's claims of being assaulted have been thrown out on the basis that Hank did so to protect Cassie. Suddenly Wolverine sneaks up on them as they talk about how Jan and Hank have decided to elope in Las Vegas the following week. The appearance of Magneto earlier came to the attention of the X-Men, so Logan decided to go investigate and now he wants answers. However before they can say anything there is an explosion downtown that the Avengers see.

Cut to several minutes earlier as Spiderman runs into Jessica Drew downtown and they talk some about how Jessica's powers got re-activated out of the blue. As they talk we see a body being flung right into the two heroes along with a pumpkin bomb. As Spidey drags himself off the ground from the blast crater, he finds that the hero in question is the Luke Cage and standing before the three is the Green Goblin, who's holding Jessice John's dead body (dead because Goblin snapped her neck, which he states) as he declares that Cage and Spidey are going to die just like Alias did for outing him. Cue Cap and Iron Man showing up alongside Wolverine (who openly comments "I'm not an Avenger, I'm just here for the show") as we get to the final page and a generic "The story never ends" blurb along with a plug for people to buy "New Avengers".

Guest PlatinumBoy

That would be entertaining, but seems a bit too long for one comic. I'd read it though--I think Rune Thor could maybe beat Korvac, but they would have to explain how Thor is still around, since he kinda went into eternal sleep at the end of his series

Also--does Hawkeye have to die in your version too?

Guest HTQ's Personal Bitch

Here's how I'd resolve it:

Say it never happened. Start from scratch. Fire Bendis. Fire Quesada. Have theese classic characters act like the characters they are and were. Make Marvel Comics good again.

Repeat with the latest Spider-Man story and Identity Crisis (make DC good again, too).

Guest PlatinumBoy

I know everyone hates people returning from the dead, but I would mark the fuck out if it ended with one last villain or something making a sneak attack on Cap or Iron Man or something, maybe Kang or someone, and then BAM--arrow in the back and Hawkeye in a tattered costume emerges alive from the shadows. I mean, HOW CAN YOU KILL HAWKEYE!

That would be entertaining, but seems a bit too long for one comic. I'd read it though--I think Rune Thor could maybe beat Korvac, but they would have to explain how Thor is still around, since he kinda went into eternal sleep at the end of his series

1. Both #503/Avengers Finale are double-sized issues so it would fit in both.

2. In my version, Hawkeye dies a heroic death saving Hank Pym, hence making up for his shitty (and utterly out of character) actions during the Austen run.

Guest PlatinumBoy
That would be entertaining, but seems a bit too long for one comic.  I'd read it though--I think Rune Thor could maybe beat Korvac, but they would have to explain how Thor is still around, since he kinda went into eternal sleep at the end of his series

1. Both #503/Avengers Finale are double-sized issues so it would fit in both.

2. In my version, Hawkeye dies a heroic death saving Hank Pym, hence making up for his shitty (and utterly out of character) actions during the Austen run.

True, but does he have to die at all..... it's Hawkeye :angry:

Make that Hawkeye and the Vision (even though I know he'll be brought back).

Leafed through it and I have to agree. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

My solution? Have an X-writer retcon everything. It's not like they haven't done that lately...

im gettign more mad as a think about it..whole story is empty/devoid of any substance other than a backdrop or excuse to start off the new avengers series

and even on that note i dotn see from the story of why the avengers are dissasembled or have to disband?!?

for shame, mr.bendis

i mean MAYBE that book next week will explain it but i dont see how

and

SPOILER

why the HELL wouldnt cap want dr strange on the new team if this big disaster was all so easy for strange to just shut it down with no fn effort?!?!?!?!?

P.S. someone please explain the magneto deal to me i dont read excalibur so dont know what mags has been up to since he came back AGAIN and why would they just hadn over wanda to him

Apparently, the Magneto that took over New York in the Planet X arc was an impostor. When Excalibur #1 came out, this was established (in not many words). The "real" Magneto appeared before Xavier, apparently still convalescing from Wolverine's attack waay back before Morrison assumed wroting duties. I forget the X-men issue. They haven't revealed how he survived the Genoshan massacre caused by Cassandra Nova.

One of the things I miss is the lack of continuity. For example, Magneto wears a black version of his costume, with red gloves. In Avengers 503, he appeared with the costume the impostor wore in the Planet X arc. It was also stupid how they just let Magneto take Wanda away. :angry:

Guest PlatinumBoy
im gettign more mad as a think about it..whole story is empty/devoid of any substance other than a backdrop or excuse to start off the new avengers series

and even on that note i dotn see from the story of why the avengers are dissasembled or have to disband?!?

for shame, mr.bendis

i mean MAYBE that book next week will explain it but i dont see how

and

SPOILER

why the HELL wouldnt cap want dr strange on the new team if this big disaster was all so easy for strange to just shut it down with no fn effort?!?!?!?!?

P.S. someone please explain the magneto deal to me i dont read excalibur so dont know what mags has been up to since he came back AGAIN and why would they just hadn over wanda to him

No Strange I'd guess because he's getting a solo series, plus for any Defenders remakes. OR MAYBE A SECRET DEFENDERS REMAKE TO GET ANOTHER WOLVIE BOOK OUT THERE!!!!!! (Jk on that one folks)

One of the things I miss is the lack of continuity. For example, Magneto wears a black version of his costume, with red gloves. In Avengers 503, he appeared with the costume the impostor wore in the Planet X arc. It was also stupid how they just let Magneto take Wanda away. :angry:

Only thing I could think of is that Magneto basically came as a man who was there to get his daughter, and in doing so had the Avengers going "Aw, look at the mutant who's wanted globally and has tried to destroy the world time and time again. He's here to pick up his brain dead daughter. Hey you know what? He came back from one of those!! He can fix her!!"

Or maybe not exactly that...

Avengers 503 was weak felt so empty as an ending

I finally got around to reading Avengers 503 today.

I'm pretty much on the Bendis hate-wagon now.

And I'd like to take a baseball bat or two to the Marvel editors for deciding to just give their "star" writers carte blanche to fuck up their properties.

Guest PlatinumBoy
Avengers 503 was weak felt so empty as an ending

I finally got around to reading Avengers 503 today.

I'm pretty much on the Bendis hate-wagon now.

And I'd like to take a baseball bat or two to the Marvel editors for deciding to just give their "star" writers carte blanche to fuck up their properties.

I totally agree. This is the big difference between Identity Crisis and Disassembled. One of my dream jobs would be to write for DC and Marvel--but this series just hurts Marvel. IC kills people off for DC, but it doesn't hurt the company, it's a cool story that doesn't compromise (excluding arugably the Sue rape) the characters. But now with Marvel.... MORE Wolverine (I love the guy--one of my first and still favorites, but he went from a tough X-Men guy who ran around in Madripoor to being in on every team and fighting in Canada and stuff--so we believe Wolvie has time to for example--fight Wendigo in Canada, be held prisoner for 2 weeks with the X-Men, and be off for a few days fighting Ronan 100 light years away... jeez), more cancellations, ruining characters, etc. etc. IC makes Flash do bad stuff but still be a hero, Disassembled just kills people for the sake of killing. Look at how HUGE they made Robin's Dad's death compared to the death of freaking VISION. Vision is a fairly big Marvel character, and his death had zero impact basically, but Robin's Dad's death was a great scene that made Robin breakdown and Batman powerless to do anything to prevent Robin from suffering the same tragedy Batman endured. I'm afraid the whole "House of M" shit is going to mess up Magneto even more (a deep villain who is more than an uber, insane powerhouse), and mess up Quicksilver.

The best thing about Disassembleld though was Oeming's Thor run. Awesome run on the book--mixed in the right amount of Marvel and Norse Mythology, had a great version of Thor, etc. etc. Sure he didn't have much time to work with and had his own run of quick deaths, but it was Ragnarok, and honestly if they leave Thor dead I would love it. I've loved Norse Myths and Marvel comics since 4th grade--and loved Thor in both. This version of Thor is perfect--he gained wisdom, the Runes, greater power and wisdom than Odin, gave his people their final destiny, etc. etc. Also a great, powerful ending of him just being tired from it all and going into eternal sleep. Thor ended with him as a compassionate, powerful leader and great character that did what he was supposed to do. Let it end that way, let the Avengers constantly harp on how he was the greatest hero on Earth despite not even being from our planet, let their be a memorial for him on Earth, etc. etc. How to solve the no Thor issue--Beta Ray Bill. This guy is also pretty uber, and is getting his own series. He would work great on the Avengers in Thor's place. The other problem with bringing Thor back, is that he is now a supreme cosmic being. As Thor he could go toe to toe with Hulk and win, and ward off Ego and Galactus even, but he was weak enough to brawl with Orca or the Wrecking Crew. The current Thor spanks Dr. Strange in magic, has the Odin power, and even more. I don't want to see him lose his knowledge and powers and go back to normal--while normal Thor is strong, this one could smack away Superman, Galactus, The Hulk, and Dorrammu (spelling?)... let him have a unique superhero death.

Also once again, Disassembled cheapens death in comics even more. They killed Hawkeye, it sucks--but they've already decided to bring him back. Great. Why kill him in the first place???

avengers finale , out this week, was significantly improved

I agree. The ramifications of Disassembled were dealt with here. Not to sound corny, but you definitely feel moved,especially during the Tony's speech, when Quicksilver confronts the group, and in the last part. :comfort: