TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

MTV2 is becoming a basic cable channel

DVDTalk.com interview with Steve-O:

The future of Wildboyz, we actually figured it out now. I was heartbroken to find out that we got kicked off MTV. When the Sunday Stew season 2 ended they said Wildboyz season 3 coming out. And now the season 3 of Sunday Stew has come out and Wildboyz is just sort of mysteriously missing from the mix. But what's going on is that MTV2 in February is gonna be relaunched where it becomes a part of every cable plan that has MTV so every single household in America that has MTV will have MTV2 as well. And so Wildboyz season 3 premieres on MTV2 in March. So you could look at it like we got kicked off MTV and demoted to MTV2 or you could look at it like were popular enough to bring MTV2 into the picture. We're like the flagship show for MTV2, starting March.

Excellent.

Guest The Last Free Voice

MTV2 is almost as bad as MTV. The only good thing they have going for them is the occasional good Hard Rock Live (Lostprophets were awesome) but even then.... Not so much great news. FUSE FOR BASIC CABLE!

Guest Salacious Crumb

MTV2 has been sucking for a long while now. The only saving grace it has right now is that it shows Beavis and Butthead reruns. But it's a horrible station right now. Their idea of rock is if the band is white.

Fuse is rapidly declining as well.

The only thing good about MTV 2 is Beavis and Butthead repeats on late night weekends, although lately it seems they've been repeating the same episodes over and over. VH1 Classic is where it's at.

Guest Smues

Wow I get ESPN2 moved to my basic cable line-up next week, and now MTV2 in Feburary? Huzzah. MTV2 sucks just as much ass as MTV1, but it has Beavis and Butthead so I'll finally be able to watch it instead of just seeing it scroll by on the tvguide channel and say I wish I had MTV2.

But in some areas, MTV isn't apart of basic cable. You have to pay extra for it.

well expanded cable then -

it won't just be available on digital and satellite anymore, that's the point I'm making

Fuse is rapidly declining as well.

That's gonna happen when you abandon the MuchMusic model for the MTV model. Although, as of late, Much has been adopting the MTV model as well.

As for MTV2... well, that's Just Another Channel that I'll add to my channel skip list.

Guest Anglesault
But it's a horrible station right now. Their idea of rock is if the band is white.

MTV as a whole does that. None of this punk garage band shit today is "rock"

Guest Salacious Crumb
But it's a horrible station right now.  Their idea of rock is if the band is white.

I haven't watched MTV in years. I used to like MTV2 because they would actually play some lesser known stuff and had mostly rock. Now if they do a rock segment they come just short of playing boy bands as rock. It's completely pathetic. Who gives a shit about these teen angst bands?

Headbangers Ball is usually ok but it seems they use less and less of a variety. You usually get an Ozzy song and a Korn song and then a mix of 5 or 6 other bands every time.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Headbangers Ball hardly ever show Korn at least from the espisodes I see. It's usually the ozzfest bands and 80's metal bands.

Headbangers Ball is the only thing I bother watching on MTV2 and Uranium is the only interesting thing on FUSE as well. And amazingly, Julia is now selling out and pimping Rap and emo bands. She is still hot though. which is really all that matters.

MTV2 sucks just as much ass as MTV1, but it has Beavis and Butthead....

Headbangers Ball is the only thing I bother watching on MTV2

Well, there's exactly 2 more things I like about MTV2 already than regular ol' MTV.

They'd better both stay on when it becomes basic.

I like the fact that MTV2 plays the Killers, but that is about it.

If any channel has gone downhill, it is VH1. Atleast MTV atempts to keep its connection with the music business. All VH1 does is show crap.

Awesome, bring back the music videos damn it without having to feed the cable pigs further.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

VH1 openly admited it wasn't a Music based network anymore and shifted to the pop-culture market which they have done well with. The only music they air are those Musical BioPics, Top 20 and Insomiac Music Theatre at 3 am in the Morning

The only thing good about MTV 2 is Beavis and Butthead repeats on late night weekends, although lately it seems they've been repeating the same episodes over and over.

I noticed that too, so I said "fuck it" and took it off my TiVo Season Pass list.

My only theory for this is that...

1) MTV only had 10 year licensing rights for the music videos, so they've had to pick and choose episodes that they still have/have once again gotten the rights to show.

2) They're intentionally sabotaging themselves in order to justify never showing Beavis & Butthead again, as from the looks of it, MTV's new people at Viacom (well, new as far as when they bought the company years back) hate anything reminiscent of "old" MTV.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
But it's a horrible station right now.  Their idea of rock is if the band is white.

That's because big rock bands are a dead scene.

Guest Smues

1) MTV only had 10 year licensing rights for the music videos, so they've had to pick and choose episodes that they still have/have once again gotten the rights to show.

That's my theory too. Same problem Mystery Science Theater 3000 had.

Does MTV still run that ad that says "MTV2: It's where the music's at, so stop asking!" ? That would be humorus.

I like the fact that MTV2 plays the Killers, but that is about it.

VH1 plays the Killers as well. I see their video for "Somebody Told Me" almost every morning while getting ready to leave.

That's gonna happen when you abandon the MuchMusic model for the MTV model. Although, as of late, Much has been adopting the MTV model as well.

Much is totally trying to be like MTV now. MuchOnDemand is basically a low budget TRL, Spotlights are only on people like Avril and 50 Cent nowadays and they keep showing all these Hot Or Not or Fandemonium specials.

VH1 openly admited it wasn't a Music based network anymore and shifted to the pop-culture market which they have done well with. The only music they air are those Musical BioPics, Top 20 and Insomiac Music Theatre at 3 am in the Morning

Remember when they were the "adult music channel" or whatever they called themselves.

Yeah, that sucked.

Guest Banders Kennany
But in some areas, MTV isn't apart of basic cable. You have to pay extra for it.

Mole, c'mon. You know that's now true.

Anyway, I would be excited for this if it was the MTV2 we had when the channel premiered. Now it's all a bunch of old stuff MTV has and has thrown away instead of being about the MUSIC.