TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Tom

11 States ban gay marriage

Did anyone see the voter's guide in Oregon?

The arguements in favor of banning gay marriage were absolutely crazy, and were basically large all-caps write-ups saying that we need to act now before our kids are learning about gay men in kindergarten. Insane stuff.

Guest SP-1

Okay, I'm getting sick and tired of the accusation that just because you disagree with the lifestyle you "hate all gays".

That's bullshit and I'm calling you on it right now.

I disagree with gay marriage. I disagree with what it is and I disagree with the lifestyle.

But that does not mean I hate the people themselves. Its a ridiculous accusation that is just as bigoted as actually hating gays.

[While 95-99% of homosexual couples would probably be sane, I'm sure there's a lunatic fringe that would insist on going to the most conservative churches they can find and insist that they do some kind of outrageous ceremony there, threatening to sue if their rights are abridged.

Churches are allowed to be as discriminatory as they want, and are legally protected to do so.

This is what allows the Boy Scouts to be so anti-gay. They declared themselves a religious organization so that they could discriminate freely. They then complained that they lost a lot of rights to buildings and land use that they gained as an organization of public service, but that was their choice.

Guest Loss
Okay, I'm getting sick and tired of the accusation that just because you disagree with the lifestyle you "hate all gays".

I disagree with gay marriage. I disagree with what it is and I disagree with the lifestyle.

But that does not mean I hate the people themselves. Its a ridiculous accusation that is just as bigoted as actually hating gays.

Yes it does, actually, quite overwhelmingly. Thinking someone is subhuman and not agreeing with who they are is equivalent to hating them. I'm sorry that you refuse to see that.

I'm assuming none of your gay friends are partnered in any type of long-term relationship that have been living together for any length of time. If they were, I would hope that would affect your thoughts on the issue. If you do have such friends, and your opinion is still the same, I don't understand how they can continue to be friends with you.

Did anyone see the voter's guide in Oregon?

The arguements in favor of banning gay marriage were absolutely crazy, and were basically large all-caps write-ups saying that we need to act now before our kids are learning about gay men in kindergarten. Insane stuff.

As an Oregon resident I can fully atest to this, reading it was pretty hilarious.

Guest SP-1

And your point? How does that translate into hate?

Seriously. Think about the word your using. Hate is a strong word with severe implications.

Guest Loss
And your point?  How does that translate into hate?

Seriously.  Think about the word your using.  Hate is a strong word with severe implications.

Yes. And Christianity encourages hatred toward homosexuals. I've seen it for myself plenty of times.

It's the one issue where most of you stand with Jerry Falwell, from personal experience. He's the same guy who picketed Matthew Shepard's funeral.

Yesterday, 11 states chose to "picket Matthew Shepard's funeral" in the figurative sense. It's disgusting.

Guest SP-1

No you've seen Isegetical bigots who have no idea about how to read the Bible, influenced by hate mongering "leadership" deliberately mis-interpreting and mis-using scripture.

A person truly walking with God will not hate gays or encourage violence against them.

I really hope a cleansing of the American church comes soon. Just to get rid of the morons that somehow culturally define Christianity when they don't know the first thing about the teachings of Christ.

Edited by SP-1

Guest Loss
A person truly walking with God will not hate gays or encourage violence against them.

I would like to think this is true. But will a person walking with God condemn others for their sexual orientation?

This is going to sound judgmental, but it's a totally honest question with no tone. Are you friends with gay people so you can witness to them? Or because you genuinely like them?

Guest MikeSC
Mike, stop it. "Conservatism", "Starvation"??? This is about homosexuality. The parallels don't work.

Obviously, the idea of analogies is lost on you. Oh well.

-=Mike

Guest SP-1

Because I genuinely enjoy being around them. It's not even really a part of our relationship unless a random political discussion or religious discussion pops up. And at that we agree to disagree and carry on.

Guest SP-1
Ah SP and his qualifiers...

If they don't know what Christ taught and aren't following him, then they aren't really Christians now are they?

Guest whitemilesdavis

I would like to think this is true. But will a person walking with God condemn others for their sexual orientation?

This is going to sound judgmental, but it's a totally honest question with no tone. Are you friends with gay people so you can witness to them? Or because you genuinely like them?

I know this wasn't directed this wasn't directed to me, but I am a Christian, and I find the conversation interesting.

A person can't condemn. That's where people get caught up, running around attempting to judge others for their sin. There is a verse in the Bible about not pulling the speck from someone elses eye when you have a plank in your own eye. In other words, it is not our job to do such. We will be at best hypocritical, at worst hateful.

Second, I have only 2 gay friends, but then again I don't have a load of straight freinds either. They know what I believe, and I know what they believe, and we can be different and there is no problem. I don't attempt to "witness" to them all the time, I just enjoy their company.

SP

I don't remember Loss saying that everyone hates gay people, but you're blind if you don't see that there is a significant portion of the country that, yes, HATES gay people.

AIDS means God Hates Fags. Horrible natural disasters occur because it's God's anger with us accepting gay people. You ever hear those theories?

Exactly. Love the sinner, hate the sin, right? There are perfectly acceptable people that are gay, but I don't think homosexuality is the way it's meant to be.

If they don't know what Christ taught and aren't following him, then they aren't really Christians now are they?

Then the number of "true christians" *in your eyes* is about, what, 10? 100? 1000? The number of people who consider themselves Christians and look toward the bible is what? 100,000,000? 1,000,000,000? We're talking about fractions of a percentage here.

Guest Loss
Because I genuinely enjoy being around them. It's not even really a part of our relationship unless a random political discussion or religious discussion pops up. And at that we agree to disagree and carry on.

Fair enough. I do hope that if any of them ever find love, you'll see it for yourself and know that it's genuine, and that it will open your mind a little. I say that cautiously, since your mind is already fairly open. We just strongly disagree on at least one major issue.

Guest SP-1
SP

I don't remember Loss saying that everyone hates gay people, but you're blind if you don't see that there is a significant portion of the country that, yes, HATES gay people.

AIDS means God Hates Fags. Horrible natural disasters occur because it's God's anger with us accepting gay people. You ever hear those theories?

Theories being the key word.

Theories from people who are retards and need to take a Hermenutics class.

Guest SP-1

Then the number of "true christians" *in your eyes* is about, what, 10? 100? 1000? The number of people who consider themselves Christians and look toward the bible is what? 100,000,000? 1,000,000,000? We're talking about fractions of a percentage here.

Let's break down the word here, Rudo.

"Christ" "ian"

Christ is in the word. If you're going to take on his name then you'd better know what he taught and be willing to stand for it accurately.

Guest MikeSC
SP

I've heard far worse about Bush supporters, to be blunt.

I don't care WHO somebody fucks. It's not my concern as long as it's not done in front of me.

-=Mike

Guest SP-1
Because I genuinely enjoy being around them.  It's not even really a part of our relationship unless a random political discussion or religious discussion pops up.  And at that we agree to disagree and carry on.

Fair enough. I do hope that if any of them ever find love, you'll see it for yourself and know that it's genuine, and that it will open your mind a little. I say that cautiously, since your mind is already fairly open. We just strongly disagree on at least one major issue.

Word.

I'm glad we can at least acknowledge that. I don't hate you Loss. At all.

But the people who consider them Christians even if they aren't "true christians" in your eyes, and look to the bible -even if it is "incorrect", or from "the wrong text", but clearly there is something there for them to interpret it that way - for moral guidance, see gay people as sinners and that guides their votes. And those people FAR outweigh these "true christians", enough to make generalities that "christians" are that way.

Guest MikeSC
But the people who consider them Christians even if they aren't "true christians" in your eyes, and look to the bible -even if it is "incorrect", or from "the wrong text", but clearly there is something there for them to interpret it that way - for moral guidance, see gay people as sinners and that guides their votes. And those people FAR outweigh these "true christians", enough to make generalities that "christians" are that way.

The Bible CLEARLY states that one must love the sinner, even if they oppose the sin.

-=Mike