TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Who won the 2nd Annual Jesse the Body Arm Wrestling contest?

It was on Worldwide each week in 1993. My affiliate pulled it the week of the finals . . . Ice Train vs. Vader. Some of the matchups were Ice Train squashing Stunning Steve (pre-Blondes breakup) and Vader beating the British Bulldog after Rude jumped Smith when Rude tried to BUTT into the tournament.

I'd assume Vader won but was wondering if maybe Ice Train won and led to a title match on Worldwide or Sat Night?

You'd assume right, Vader won, avenging his loss to Van Hammer in the 1992 version.

Vader defeated Ice Train in the finals. Rude attacked Bulldog during the semi-final w/ Vader, which gave Vader the win and was to have setup Rick Rude Vs. British Bulldog for the WCW International World Title at Starrcade, but Smith was fired/suspended and the match was changed.

Trying to remember the brackets for the 1993 version is killing me . . . didn't really follow the 1992 tourney but used to have some WW eps on tape during the tourney. I wanna say Maxx Payne was also an entrant.

Ventura trying to explain the logic of not entering a tournament after it already started to Rude was great cause it was killing his character to do it.

"If the tournament isn't over, then how can it be too late?" --- Rude

- Equalizer (aka "Evad" Sullivan aka Dave Sullivan) over Van Hammer

- Steroid Train over Steve Austin

- Bulldog over Awesome Kong

- Sid over Maxx Payne

- Sid got replaced by Vader due to the incident with Arn and his firing.

- Train over Equalizer

- Vader over Bulldog by forfeit after Rude attacked Bulldog

- Vader over Train

_______

The entrants in this were absurd. Hammer, who was in the total doghouse as a jobber by this point was included because he won the 1992 tournament. Ice Train was winning openers and somehow got a big shot against Vader.

Awesome Kong? Good God.

Thanks for those brackets. Talk about random, no wonder I couldn't remember them.

I'm surprised the Kongs didn't try the ol switcheroo. At least they had some boss theme music . . . couldn't touch Vader's though.

I remember Austin shooting this look to Ventura after losing to Train as if to say "What kind of roid monster did you just pair me with?" and Ventura shoot a look back as if to say "Too bad", which again must have killed Ventura.

I don't remember if it was in '93 (it was probably '94 or '95) but does anyone else remember Van Hammer repeatedly trying to get DDP to arm wrestle him? I remember finally Hammer came down when DDP was in the ring and he locked the railings together, blocking the aisle. They finally went at it, and Maxx Muscle helped DDP win illegally. I think this was on WCW Pro when it was on Saturday mornings. Was this releated to a tourney?

Some interesting rumors I've found through searching Google groups...all of these are credited to Dave Meltzer unless otherwise indicated. The dates are of the posts themselves. Some of this stuff is amazing...

1993-07-08 (Herb Kunze): At the suggestion of Sid Vicious, The Ebony Experience (Harlem Heat) would come in as The Posse. They would be a heel tag team dressed in prison garb led in shackles to the ring by Col. Robert Parker.

1993-07-15 (Herb Kunze): Hollywood Blondes would turn face and feud with the Nasty Boys after the Nasty Boys would win the Tag Titles.

1994-02-03: The WCW booking committee after Dusty Rhodes got booted consisted of Greg Gagne, Mike Graham, Robert Fuller, Ric Flair, Eric Bischoff, and Bill Shaw.

1995-01-12: WCW was nervous enough about Jean Paul Levesque jumping to the WWF that they offered him and Steven Regal the WCW Tag Titles as heels and they would be managed by Sherri Martel after she turned on Harlem Heat.

1996-01-18: The wrestlers had to turn their belts into the office after each taping because Bischoff was paranoid one of them would pull a "Madusa."

1996-05-03: Jushin Liger was scheduled to win the WCW US Title from Konnan and then feud with Dean Malenko over it.

1997-12-15: WCW had interest in also obtaining the services of Yokozuna at the time with Hogan presumably pushing for it so he could avenge his loss.

1997-12-26: Konnan had been sending talent to Vince McMahon and the WWF as a result of bad blood towards Eric Bischoff.

1997-12-27: Hulk Hogan was given a motorcycle, ring, banners, and a car as a bribe to get him to drop the WCW title to Sting. Hogan got to keep everything but the car.

1998-04-14: Vince McMahon put out a public offer saying he was willing to pay both Scott Hall and Kevin Nash $1.50 Million a year if they could get out of their WCW contracts.

1996-01-18: The wrestlers had to turn their belts into the office after each taping because Bischoff was paranoid one of them would pull a "Madusa."

Yeah I remember hearing about this newbits for years. Of course, WCW was really bad about taking care of their belts seeing how the tag belts had plates falling off and the WHC had a big dent at the top that never got fixed.

1997-12-15: WCW had interest in also obtaining the services of Yokozuna at the time with Hogan presumably pushing for it so he could avenge his loss.

Remember this rumor going around off and on for years and it doesn't shock me. And I was shocked that Yoko didn't go to WCW after Vince let him go and that Hogan didn't try to dig him up and pin him just to get his win back.

1997-12-27: Hulk Hogan was given a motorcycle, ring, banners, and a car as a bribe to get him to drop the WCW title to Sting. Hogan got to keep everything but the car.

Coming from a huge Sting fan: Fuck Hogan. Oh that Hogan always doing what's best for the company. He got all that and yet he really didn't do the job to Sting.

I don't remember if it was in '93 (it was probably '94 or '95) but does anyone else remember Van Hammer repeatedly trying to get DDP to arm wrestle him? I remember finally Hammer came down when DDP was in the ring and he locked the railings together, blocking the aisle. They finally went at it, and Maxx Muscle helped DDP win illegally. I think this was on WCW Pro when it was on Saturday mornings. Was this releated to a tourney?

Ah yes, this was 1995 since that's when I got cable. Definitely on WCW Pro. DDP did a weekly arm wrestling challenge. If anyone could beat him, he could have a date w/ Kimberly and I think a trophy. 90% of the challengers were jobbers that DDP easily disposed of. Van Hammer came out one week and DDP feigned an injury and left. Several weeks later, Hammer comes out again . . . but this time blocks the entrance w/ the guardrail . . . although he never did lock it, so in theory, DDP could have easily moved the rail back and left again, but it was a Sat morning show so they hooked horns. I believe Max kicked Hammer's leg to cause him to lose.

The angle came to a head at GAB95 when Dave Sullivan beat DDP.

Weeks before on Pro, DDP asked Dave where he'd take Kimberly if they went out on a date which inspired Dusty on commentary to bellow out "Take her honky tonkin!"

Guest JN Silentbob
What was the Jesse the Body Arm Wrestling contest?

It was an arm-wrestling contest sponsered by Jesse the Body.

Guest Connzilla

What was the Jesse the Body Arm Wrestling contest?

It was an arm-wrestling contest sponsered by Jesse the Body.

Iknew that I was wondering when it happen and how long did it go on for?

Yeah I remember hearing about this newbits for years. Of course, WCW was really bad about taking care of their belts seeing how the tag belts had plates falling off and the WHC had a big dent at the top that never got fixed.

Remember this rumor going around off and on for years and it doesn't shock me. And I was shocked that Yoko didn't go to WCW after Vince let him go and that Hogan didn't try to dig him up and pin him just to get his win back.

Coming from a huge Sting fan: Fuck Hogan. Oh that Hogan always doing what's best for the company. He got all that and yet he really didn't do the job to Sting.

so when eric bsichoff presented those things to hogan on the "nwo nitro" they were real gifts for a bribe eh? ha I never knew that story behind it

man Hogan really thought he shouldnt job to sting? what an a-hole

Guest jm29195

I've just got a tape with a block of WCW tv circa mid 93 and some of the stuff on there is just great: -

Vader v. Steamboat (never even knew they'd had a match)

Windham v. Badd (computer challenge!!)

Dustin v. Slater (really, really good)

Sting/Bulldog v. Eaton/Benoit

plus all of the Foley 'lost in Cleveland' vignettes!!

Ah yes, this was 1995 since that's when I got cable. Definitely on WCW Pro. DDP did a weekly arm wrestling challenge. If anyone could beat him, he could have a date w/ Kimberly and I think a trophy. 90% of the challengers were jobbers that DDP easily disposed of. Van Hammer came out one week and DDP feigned an injury and left. Several weeks later, Hammer comes out again . . . but this time blocks the entrance w/ the guardrail . . . although he never did lock it, so in theory, DDP could have easily moved the rail back and left again, but it was a Sat morning show so they hooked horns. I believe Max kicked Hammer's leg to cause him to lose.

Weeks before on Pro, DDP asked Dave where he'd take Kimberly if they went out on a date which inspired Dusty on commentary to bellow out "Take her honky tonkin!"

And, of course, DDP got his revenge by cooking Evad's pet rabbit and serving it to him and Kim. Beat the Bossman angle by years.

Regarding the failed Fusient buy-out, what would have happened with the wrestler contracts? Would they all have automatically transferred over to Fusient or would they have to be bought out?

Guest Connzilla

I read in The Death Of WCW that if the Fusient Media Ventures deal went through bishoff was going to start an working relationship with Ultimo Dragons Toryumon Promotion.

Guest netslob

And, of course, DDP got his revenge by cooking Evad's pet rabbit and serving it to him and Kim. Beat the Bossman angle by years.

it's so sad that i remember that.

Guest Connzilla

According to Ruusso from his RF shoot is that he did not come up with David Arquette winning the world title. Russo said that Tony Schiavone came to him with the idea the night of the show.

it's so sad that i remember that.

He didn't actually cook the rabbit. When Dave and Kim were on their date DDP sent him a "bunnygram" of a dude in a giant rabbit suit saying "Roses are red, violets are blue, Diamond Dallas says, enjoy the rabbit stew." Dave was obviously and understandably upset and concerned for his rabbit friend Ralph so he went out to his car to check on him. Dave found Ralph safe in his cage but then DDP and Maxx emerged out of nowhere and beat the crap out of "Evad", complete with wacky B-movie sound effects.

Guest Connzilla

http://ddtdigest.com/anderson/ricmtc01.htm

The link i posted above is a retrospective of the Arn Anderson-Ric Flair match. The Retrospective starts in july when Ric and Arn start getting at each other and ends with Halloween Havoc when Ric Flair & Sting vs. Arn Anderson & Brian Pillman turns into Ric Arn & Brain vs. Sting. Pictures and soundbits are included, at 11 pages it is a fun and informative read I recamend checking it out but i guess thats why I psted the link.

Guest Connzilla
WCW Worldwide, in 1992, held the "Nintendo Top Ten Tournament" in which we got a cool #1 seed heel Rick Rude Vs. #10 seed heel Terry Taylor match. I marked out, as a big fan of both and heels in general.

Here is the Tournament results

Tournament: Nintendo Top Ten Challenege Tournament

Date: April 17, 1992 - May 1, 1992

Tournament Match #1: Rick Rude defeated Terry Taylor..

Tournament Match #2: Dustin Rhodes defeated Larry Zbyszko...

Tournament Match #3: Ricky Steamboat defeated Cactus Jack...

Tournament Match #4: Big Van Vader and Nikita Koloff fought to a Double Count Out...

Tournament Match #5: Steve Austin defeated Ron Simmons...

Quarter-Final Match: #1: Rick Rude defeated Dustin Rhodes...

Quarter-Final Match: #2: Steve Austin received a Bye...

Semi-Final Match #1: Ricky Steamboat and Steve Austin fought to a Draw...

Tournament Final Match: Rick Rude received a Bye.

Tournament Winner: Rick Rude

Guest ResidentEvil

I would have paid good money to see Scott Norton armwrestle Ravishing Rick Rude. Both of them had excellent arm wrestling reputations.

They were actual matches. I vaguely remember it. I'm not sure what the point was, since WCW didn't really have a video game out at the time, other than the outdated WCW game from like 1989 (the one with the Road Warriors on the cover art). I guess Nintendo was just a sponsor on their shows.

LOL...Rude won without a final match? That's weird.