TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Guest ResidentEvil
Rude by winnig the tournament became number one contender for the WCW title.

I remember the tournament as I was big fan of WCW at the time. Rick Rude and Rhodes had a very good match. Rude just nails Dustin Rhodes at the end of it with the US title belt and Rhodes is out on his feet with an extremely well done sell job. Than I believe Ravishing Rick Rude actually finished off Rhodes with the Rude Awakening. Rude was such a great heel.

You're wrong, WCW had "WCW SuperBrawl" for the Super Nintendo at this time.

No, you're wrong. That game wasn't released until 1994, two years after the tournament :P

Do you guys remember Hogan getting Most Hated Wrestler award from PWI on Saturday Night show? It was a year and review type show.

I wish I've could of seen the WCW all nighter shows where they will show old matches from 12 to 6 in a morning. WCW had the best platform for wrestling. WWE and TNA can never pull something like this off.

A large chunk of that game's roster was gone by the time it came out. The Steiners, Simmons, Rude, and Windham were gone. Steamboat had his career-ending injury right before the game came out, so I can let that slide since it was so soon. I believe Pillman was off TV at the time. And Hogan, WCW's champion, wasn't in the game. And the lower part of Vader's singlet was shorts rather than long tights. (Which isn't a big deal at all but it's still strange) That game was bad, worse than all of Acclaim's WWF games for SNES but better than the ones for NES.

Guest Connzilla

I got a fun what if question, what if WCW was still around where do you think they would be in terms of champions, Storylines, mainevent talent, ratings attendance ,talent overall, money, fan interest, show quelity?

Do anybody got Paul Orndorff vs. Hogan from WCW Worldwide?

You sure you're not thinking of Savage vs. Orndorff?

Not that match but I would love to get my hands on this match as well.

I think they'd be where TNA is today, assuming Vince didn't buy them out anyway.

I would give WCW a little big more credit than that. They would be bigger than TNA and the current ECW. Probably bigger than Smackdown or on the same level since Smackdown is headline by Booker and Finlay.

Just got Halloween Havoc '89 ripped to DVD...

Holy shit. One of the COOLEST wrestling events of all-time.

The pop for the superheel Freebirds beating the most hated team in Philly since the Dallas Cowboys - the Dynamic Dudes, was one of the loudest pops I've heard an arena make in wrestling. It's unreal.

Pillman and Luger have a great match.

Pillman's entrance, Def Leppard's "Rocket" (!), flanked by 8 cheerleaders. And then Luger's music hits and its BUSINESS.

Woman. So. Hot.

The music for Havoc '89 and the logo are right out of an Italian horror film. Just great.

Steiners coming out in their debut year to "Welcome to the Jungle" makes me smile. Doom comes out with the hottest Woman ever and have their own great music, "Her Strut".

The Samoan Swat Team & The Samoan Savage come out to the HALLOWEEN theme, throwing flaming torches around the stage.

The 2 super mega no-selling crazy over teams of the NWA - Skyscrapers and Road Warriors - do battle. Hype was big for this one.

Plus you get a main event with MUTAAAAAA, Sting, Flair, and Funk - in a cage, with things setting on fire.

Funk has the single best entrance music in the history of the sport. Find me a better song. Muta's all spooky and Sting's equal. The cage is something scary, looks like CZW's original cage of death.

Great crowd, great card - if you want WCW/NWA's finest shows, this and Bash '89 are a close #1 and #2.

_______

So basically:

Philly.

Red-hot smart crowd.

Booing annoying babyfaces.

Cheering fun heels.

Kick-ass "real" music for the wrestlers.

Terry Funk main eventing.

You know, if Paul E. ever had a falling out with a crumbling WCW in 1992, it would have been a good idea to run out of Philly and do those things, because Havoc '89 gets a billion thumbs up.

Guest Connzilla

Credit- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Bischoff#Trivia

According to official WCW history, Bischoff defeated Vince McMahon via count-out at Slamboree 1998. Bischoff challenged McMahon to show up and fight him at the WCW PPV, but McMahon didn't answer. Years later, on a February 2004 edition of WWE RAW, the two fought to a no-contest, when the special referee, Stone Cold Steve Austin, was attacked by Brock Lesnar.

Ok, so Havoc '89 has its flaws.

The crowd has to ensure an 8 minute (?!?) match between Tommy Rich and The Cuban Assassin.

And Doom hadn't learned how to wrestle yet, as their offense is AWFUL and sleep-inducing. But Rick Steiner was on fire, going crazy with every punch.

Dudes/Freebirds is fun for all the wrong reasons. The Dudes totally wrestle as babyfaces, do every lame babyface cheap pop double dropkick fist pump in the air and EVEN POSE WITH A YOUNG TERRIFIED CHILD before the match and the crowd just MURDERS THEM. Seriously, the pop for the Freebirds getting the pin is the loudest thing on the show by far.

Guest Connzilla

Credit- http://prowrestlinghistory.com/

Souled Out 1997

January 25, 1997 in Cedar Rapids, IA

Five Seasons Center drawing 5,120 ($68,209)

Shown live on PPV (0.47)

Masa Chono pinned Chris Jericho (11:08).

Big Bubba beat Hugh Morrus (9:03) in a "Mexican death" match.

Jeff Jarrett pinned Mr. Wallstreet (9:22).

Buff Bagwell pinned Scotty Riggs (13:51).

Scott Norton beat Diamond Dallas Page (9:39) via countout.

Rick & Scott Steiner beat Kevin Nash & Scott Hall (14:43) when Scott pinned Hall. The Steiners won the WCW Tag Title, but the belts were returned to Hall & Nash because the wrong ref counted the pin.

WCW U.S. Champ Eddie Guerrero beat Syxx (13:48) in a "ladder" match.

WCW World Champ Hulk Hogan NC The Giant (11:00).

Talk about bringing tha suck.I've never seen it but it looks as bad as Starcade 94. Why did Bagwell-Riggs go 13 minutes? Why did Ray Traylor and Hugh Morris wrestle in a "Mexican Death Match"? It looks like there were only two good matches on the card, Masa Chono vs. Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero vs. Syxx.

Credit- http://prowrestlinghistory.com/

Souled Out 1997

January 25, 1997 in Cedar Rapids, IA

Five Seasons Center drawing 5,120 ($68,209)

Shown live on PPV (0.47)

Masa Chono pinned Chris Jericho (11:08).

Big Bubba beat Hugh Morrus (9:03) in a "Mexican death" match.

Jeff Jarrett pinned Mr. Wallstreet (9:22).

Buff Bagwell pinned Scotty Riggs (13:51).

Scott Norton beat Diamond Dallas Page (9:39) via countout.

Rick & Scott Steiner beat Kevin Nash & Scott Hall (14:43) when Scott pinned Hall. The Steiners won the WCW Tag Title, but the belts were returned to Hall & Nash because the wrong ref counted the pin.

WCW U.S. Champ Eddie Guerrero beat Syxx (13:48) in a "ladder" match.

WCW World Champ Hulk Hogan NC The Giant (11:00).

Talk about bringing tha suck.I've never seen it but it looks as bad as Starcade 94. Why did Bagwell-Riggs go 13 minutes? Why did Ray Traylor and Hugh Morris wrestle in a "Mexican Death Match"? It looks like there were only two good matches on the card, Masa Chono vs. Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero vs. Syxx.

NWO Souled Out actually was the prelude to the current WWE Raw look. You can tell WWF stole the the look and feel to the show and gave it to Raw. It was a really cool atmosphere for it's time.

I think Bubba wrestling Hugh MOrris in a mexican hardcore match was meant to be a joke and something the announcers can make fun of. Could be wrong

I found a tape in a box in the closet, just had WCW written on the label. I was hoping it could have Benoit, maybe Guerrero, even if Hogan, etc, it would be a major event. Nope. It was Nitro. Opened with a flashback to the week prior, with the Rap is Crap feud, Bagwell pinning Flair and it looked clean, just a short clip, the Hummer angle. Show opened, Savage and Sid showed up in the Hummer, Nash pulled up in a limo right after. Nash ran to see who the Hummer driver was but it pulled away. Then we got a performance by Master P. I had to turn it off, maybe there's more on there that's better but it reminded me of why I hated WCW at times.

24/7 has had all Halloween themed shows and clips this month, including Halloween Havoc 92 and 99.

But, for the first time, I caught the clips of Kevin Sullivan becoming the Taskmaster and forming the Dungeon of Doom. They have every clip up, featuring Kamala, SHARK ATTACK, and Zodiac... but the best of all, Hogan being teleported into the cave and the priceless lines and reactions that result...

"WHERE AM I!? There are no Hulkamaniacs here! I'VE NEVER BEEN HERE BEFORE!"

(Hogan feels a stream of water) "AHHH! IT'S NOT HOT!"

Dear God, last night, watching a Nitro from July of 1996, I saw the WORST SEGMENT EVER. Forget Shockmaster. Forget the Dungeon. Hell, forget Russo. This took the cake.

You might remember the angle but not the match. The Outsiders, Hall & Nash, made history and broke into the WCW control truck, forcing them to pan the crowd, turn the lights off, etc. Very cool at the time and unique.

The match itself was The Dungeon of Doom - The Barbarian, Kevin Sullivan, Hugh Morrus, and making his Nitro debut - THE LEPRECHAUN (he bit people and ran around the outside of the ring). Was the Leprechaun who I am speaking of? Not at all, as he would appear ORDINARY when compared with what happened just before his debut. Of course it was The Dungeon...

Against...

Joe Gomez, The Renegade, Alex Wright, and Jim Powers.

Tony hypes an 8-man tag up NEXT, with The Dungeon of Doom in action. "Let's take a special video look at their opponents!"

A special video look?

What followed was the worst 1 minute in WCW history.

It's Gomez, Renegade, Wright, and Powers walking on the beach together, in tight, skimpy little shorts and muscle shirts. One by one, after high-fiving each other, donning sunglasses, and flexing, each man removes his shirt, flexes, and walks with a PURPOSE on the beach.

Seriously, there's cheesy music to "excite" the viewer and all. Then, after they're all disrobed and in their little shorts, the 4 guys walk together, in a line, on the beach, making serious faces and flexing.

Think an all-male episode of Baywatch filmed by Uwe Bowell or however it is spelled.

Powers, being his usual jobber self the whole match, takes a fall to the outside. Where Teddy Long suddenly appears, either to "coach" Powers or to hit on him after seeing that sexy, sexy man video. Powers listens to whatever Long says, then goes in the ring AND HULKS UP, no-selling the Dungeon's offense and KICKING THEIR ASSES.

2 seconds later, The Giant interrupts and chokeslams all 4 "babes" into oblivion and then accepts Hogan's challenge for Hog Wild.

According to Ruusso from his RF shoot is that he did not come up with David Arquette winning the world title. Russo said that Tony Schiavone came to him with the idea the night of the show.

He's still the idiot who greenlighted it.

I thought it kind of made sense for WCW to stick those guys into one stable, since they had similar gimmicks and looks anyway. Yeah, looking back the video is stupid, but this was the mid '90s, so stuff like that was accepted, I guess.