TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

I wasn't aware Dusty had a rip-off version of his Federation American Dream theme in WCW. I heard it on 24/7 after watching Dusty/Dustin vs Flair/Jarrett.

It's easy to forget that since that was about a week before Vince bought the company and was the first (possibly second) time he'd used it.

Dear God, I saw that goofy package with them on the beach. In all honesty I didn't think it was all THAT bad. Maybe I just kind of put a filter on it with my mind and it became tolerable. It's certainly nowhere near the lameness of those Dungeon of Doom skits.

Dear God, I saw that goofy package with them on the beach. In all honesty I didn't think it was all THAT bad. Maybe I just kind of put a filter on it with my mind and it became tolerable. It's certainly nowhere near the lameness of those Dungeon of Doom skits.

LAME? Taskmaster will rule your soul.

The best were how cheesy the new "introductions" from Sullivan and The Master each week, especially since most were all WWFers with a new cheesy gimmick.

During Piper's confrontation with Bischoff at World War 3 1996:

"You think I'm gonna trust a lyin' little flake, gay, wonderful human being like yourself? Tell me somethin'. How'd you get that crack in your lip?"

"Easy Piper. I can fine you for that."

"Tell me something. How much would it cost me by a fine just to knock your ass out."

Piper (to Vincent/Virgil) "Back off, 'cause I taught you how to fight."

Berlyn would have gotten over fine if they hadn't pulled the plug on it right away, then brought it back all watered down.

His problem was booking. If he had been booked with someone who had a clue, it could have been something special. He went from beating Jim Duggan on one PPV under the old booking regime to the next PPV, the first one under the new regime, losing clean to Brad Armstrong, for absolutely no logical or sensible reason.

Wright was a decent worker who was too vanilla and clean cut but could hang with the right opponents and always worked really hard no matter who he was facing, so nothin' bad to say about him. I thought Berlyn was just awful, and Wright changed his offense obviously, resulting in some really bad mat-based, slow, and boring contests.

The Berlyn gimmick was awesome. I agree, with the right booking, it would have gotten over huge. Berlyn's debut is right up there with Jericho's WWE debut in terms of awesomeness.

The problem with Berlyn was that the whole Bagwell/Duggan debacle killed him out of the gate. And let's be honest, when you do a major gimmick change like Wright did with Berlyn he needed to change his look more than by shaving his head. He hadn't put on any muscle and was still pasty as hell, so it's kinda hard to take a vicious nazi heel seriously when he looks like a wuss.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Uv5mTcrJ_w

An early misfire in the Monday Night War.

Well . . . I found the Renegade theme to be catchy. And you can almost never get enough of Jim Powers.

Renegade actually used the same music as Marc Mero did in WWF (not his first run as "The Wildman", the one where he came back as a boxer/wrestler and used a modified diamond cutter finisher).

Well, not initially. The music in that video was Renegade's theme (although I'm pretty sure he had a different theme before that which was even more Warrior-like, but I'm not sure).

But the Marvelous Marc Mero music was great. WCW used it as the theme for the Halloween Havoc '96 control center.

The problem with Berlyn was that the whole Bagwell/Duggan debacle killed him out of the gate. And let's be honest, when you do a major gimmick change like Wright did with Berlyn he needed to change his look more than by shaving his head. He hadn't put on any muscle and was still pasty as hell, so it's kinda hard to take a vicious nazi heel seriously when he looks like a wuss.

One of the other things that killed him is that they paired him up with the Wall and paid more attention to him then Berlyn. Also right when they debuted Berlyn he was wearing the trench coat and I believe that week was when Columbine occured. The shooters were wearing trench coats and WCW panicked because one of their guys also wore a trench coat.

Also, I seem to remember hearing in the last couple of years that Alex Wright was having medical problems. I don't know if that was true or not though.

Re: That Gay Video

The only positive thing to come out of that was seeing that those guys could take off their tight shirts without knocking off their shades. Impressive!

Most title history sites acknowledge the original WCW Cruiserweight Champion, Shinjiro Ohtani, as having defeated Chris Benoit in the finals of the tournament.

The issue of whether or not there was an actual tournament, or just random matches with WCW cruisers overseas that WCW claimed were "tournament bouts" is not the issue.

The issue is that on the April 22nd Nitro, Eric Bischoff claimed Ohtani eliminated Chris Benoit from the tournament, and that several WCW stars, including Bobby Eaton, Brad Armstrong, and others were still alive in it.

Thus, Ohtani couldn't have defeated Benoit for the title, unless the other side of the bracket ended in a draw.

Yeah, they almost shot themselves in the foot right off the bat with that tournament. I don't know why they put it on Ohtani right away. I guess they probably did it as a gesture to NJPW or something.

Most title history sites acknowledge the original WCW Cruiserweight Champion, Shinjiro Ohtani, as having defeated Chris Benoit in the finals of the tournament.

The issue of whether or not there was an actual tournament, or just random matches with WCW cruisers overseas that WCW claimed were "tournament bouts" is not the issue.

The issue is that on the April 22nd Nitro, Eric Bischoff claimed Ohtani eliminated Chris Benoit from the tournament, and that several WCW stars, including Bobby Eaton, Brad Armstrong, and others were still alive in it.

Thus, Ohtani couldn't have defeated Benoit for the title, unless the other side of the bracket ended in a draw.

I remember the announcers putting over Armstrong for staying alive in the double elimination tournament as if he's getting a nice push . . . unfortunately, I don't think any of his 'wins' were televised and he was doing his dutiful jobs as if no tourney was going on. At least he got a CW Title shot at Slamboree 96 because of it.