TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jason

Greatest European

Guest Jason

I saw a similar thread here about Canadians and I decided to ask the question of who you believe to be the greatest European of all time.

We've fought amongst each other on more than one occasion, but nowadays unless your a "Little Englander" as the press have put it (I love that term lol) you’ll be proud of the great history and rich heritage we all share as people of this great continent (if your actually from here that is). Are national identities are intertwined with that of our fellow Europeans and today with the unity and friendship between all European Nations, no matter what country your from, we all live in a proud multi-cultural society that is celebrated and respected (unless you’re a racist...then you wouldn’t celebrate it I guess)

Below is a list of some of the greatest and most influential Europeans in history, most of whom have appeared on lists of the greatest Europeans or World figures. In a Europe-Wide survey conduced by 2 French historians (http://hnn.us/comments/9294.html) Leonardo da Vinci and Winston Churchill were voted as the most influential Europeans of all time.

Christopher Columbus

A Spanish great, and widely renowned as the greatest explorer of all time. His greatest moment came while sailing in hopes of proving a westward route to Asia, when Columbus and his ship-crew discover what was called ‘the new world’, or as we call it, America.

Leonardo Da Vinci

It depends on who you ask, or your own personal taste, but many consider De Vinci as the greatest painting artist all time. His work can be seen in venues the world over, and his name is synonymous with great work and timeless art.

Sir Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill will be remembered as one the worlds great leaders and revolutionaries for his allied leadership during World War II. Churchill is almost as famous for his speeches as he was for his leadership qualities and co-lead the European people to victory over Nazi Germany.

Marie Curie

A great science and medical researcher who dedicated her life to finding cures and preventions of radiation-induced illnesses. Marie Curie co-won the Noble Prize with her Husband, for her incredible dedication and discoveries in science and was a pioneer not just for woman, but for all mankind.

Charles De Gaulle

A Frenchman, a military man and a great leader of his people. De Gaulle fought and was injured many times, defending his country and through his years of service, rose to the top of the French armed forces and lead the nation through World War II. After the German invasion of his homeland, De Gaulle made his way to allied Britain where he made an infamous broadcast, telling his fellow Frenchmen to carry on the resistance (Viva La Resistance being his famous quote). Charles formed the Free French Forces and later served as the most beloved President in his nations history.

Martin Luther

The founder of Protestantism in Christianity and believer that faith is the key to eternal happiness. Martin Luther believed that man cannot earn eternal life through actions on Earth, rather solely though his faith in the almighty God. Luther voiced his objections to the Church’s view that people should see work as means of salvation, and was later excommunicated because of his viewpoints. His Protesting lead to him gaining a huge following, who become as ‘Protestants’.

Bono

A tireless worker and fund-raiser for third world poverty, the U2 lead vocalist has convinced many a world leader to hand over money to the people struggling in the developing world, through persistence, performance and dedication. Bono will go down as a legendary Irish vocalist and performer, but perhaps equally or even more-so for being a great humanitarian and aid-worker.

John Lennon

A inspirational figure for many the world over and a great song-writer and performer. John Lennon gained fame as a member of the Beatles, and later for his views and actions on world peace and love for your fellow man.

James Connelly

Voted into the top 100 people of all time, James Connelly fought for the equality and integration of working class and poverty-strikin people throughout the island of Ireland. He faced great hardship from the hard-nosed English government yet fought his entire life to bring about a lasting peace and truce between the two Christian entities on the island. Connelly will be remember as a Marxist thinker, fighter and mass leader, who rose from a poor Scottish family to become one of the most influential figures in Irish, and indeed European 20th century history.

Alexander Graham Bell

A great Scottish inventor who is most famous for his creation of the telephone. During his life he spend much time in the United States, Canada and Europe, all the while patenting new inventions and cementing his name as a great European.

There are many others, from all walks of life. So much in fact that it would take a damn long time to list them all here. It doesn't matter what you are or what nation your from, Europe or not...Who do you consider the Greatest European of all time?

Guest Jimmy Saint

Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare and Charles Darwin.

Your not being serious about Bono are you ?

We've fought amongst each other on more than one occasion, but nowadays unless your a "Little Englander" as the press have put it (I love that term lol) you’ll be proud of the great history and rich heritage we all share as people of this great continent (if your actually from here that is). Are national identities are intertwined with that of our fellow Europeans and today with the unity and friendship between all European Nations, no matter what country your from, we all live in a proud multi-cultural society that is celebrated and respected (unless you’re a racist...then you wouldn’t celebrate it I guess)

I am not European. I am not even British. I'm English goddamnit! Yay to the whole multi-cultural society and all, but, y'know...

Anyway, Karl Marx.

Christopher Colombus was a racist bonehead who got a lucky break and came home from his last journey after his crew mutinied on them for his being such an asshole.

Anyways, the European who had the most influence on the modern world was Constantine the Great. Imagine how different the world would be if the Roman Empire never adopted Christianity as its official religion and that it never developed into more than just a minor cult.

Of that list, I'd say either Gutenburg or da Vinci. Gutenburg because now books were available to the masses and literacy exploded, and da Vinci because his plans for machines were so far ahead of their time and still influence the way we make them today.

Bono and John Lennon?

Yeah, really. That's fucking insane.....it'd be like me including Hulk Hogan on a list of "Greatest Americans".

Bono and John Lennon?

Yeah, really. That's fucking insane.....it'd be like me including Hulk Hogan on a list of "Greatest Americans".

Every time the media in any country makes one of these lists it ends up having a few "WTF?" listings. For instance, Diana was near the top of the British one (this was easily the most ridiculous choice), many of the mainland European countries had soccer players featured prominently, the Canadian list has Don Cherry on it, etc. I'm sure if someone in the US organized something like this there would be at least one of these, an interesting question is who that person would be. I'm guessing Babe Ruth although there are several possible candidates. It's similar to when Mick Foley won the Time MOTY vote online.

Guest SP-1
Christopher Colombus was a racist bonehead who got a lucky break and came home from his last journey after his crew mutinied on them for his being such an asshole.

Anyways, the European who had the most influence on the modern world was Constantine the Great.  Imagine how different  the world would be if the Roman Empire never adopted Christianity as its official religion and that it never developed into more than just a minor cult.

It was already much bigger than a "minor cult". Paul saw to that.

Also, I'm gonna slightly edit the Luther part for some more precise accuracy.

Martin Luther

The founder of Protestantism in Christianity and believer that faith is the key to eternal life (not even in the same ballpark as happiness, really, though happiness and complete contentment are a part of this eternity). Martin Luther believed that man cannot earn eternal life through actions on Earth, rather solely though his faith in Jesus Christ (God is such a vague term these days). Luther voiced his objections to the Church’s view that people should see work as means of salvation, and was later excommunicated because of his viewpoints. His Protesting lead to him gaining a huge following, who become as ‘Protestants’.

Edited by SP-1

Just my two cents, but I think that Isaac Newton has a stranglehold on the award. He discovered more of modern math and science himself than about everyone else in his century combined.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

James Watt.

The steam engine launched the industrial revolution, which changed the course of the history of the planet like nothing else before.

Leonardo Da Vinci. Quite possibly the most intelligent human being who ever lived. His sketches for modern technology were in place during the Renaissance (helicopter, etc), his studies of the human body were also far ahead of his time, and his sculptures and paintings are among the finest the world has ever seen.

Guest BDC
In a more incompetent way King John. The Magna Carte was the first real document giving some freedoms to people other than the King

Then should the nod go to the council at Runnymede instead of John?

William the Conquerer.

In a more incompetent way King John. The Magna Carte was the first real document giving some freedoms to people other than the King

John ignored it anyways. The credit for the development of parliament should go to Edward I. He was the real greatest king of the English Middle Ages.