Werewolves of London/Warren Zevon

Rockula/Los Straitjackets

Nightmare on My Street/DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince

Pet Cemetery/The Ramones

Campfire/Komeda

Black No.1 (Little Miss Scare-All)/Type O Negative

Bela Lugosi's Dead/Bauhaus

Not enough Gravediggaz

I was also going to add "Diary of a Madman," but I didn't haven enough room.

EDIT: I see that you edited the video for this song into your post whilst I was typing up mine... eerie...

Chris Connelly really deserves more love than he gets.

Harry Nilsson - "Jump Into the Fire"

It's official, I'm having this played at my cremation.

(If it sounds familiar, they used it in Goodfellas)

Guest Vitamin X

They made a big deal about Smith's death yesterday here, with the usual tribute shows and everything (this is Portland, after all). Pretty crazy to think it's been that long, but it does make me feel older and older when five years doesn't feel like it's that long and that I'm fast approaching a full decade after high school.

http://www.tullycraftnation.com/mp3s/morni...f_our_lives.mp3

The Modern Lovers are a pretty awesome band, you guys. I'm not sure why Roadrunner is their signature track though, It's a fun opener to the eponymous album, but Government Center is definitely the best song on Modern Lovers.

"Roadrunner" is very good song Modern Lovers. Whole album exceptional Modern Lovers.

Where were you when you heard that Elliot Smith had finally offed himself? I was on a porch at one of the crusty punk houses in Asheville, NC. I couldn't believe it. He was one of my faves back when I was a sullen message board addict.

"Roadrunner" is very good song Modern Lovers. Whole album exceptional Modern Lovers.

Where were you when you heard that Elliot Smith had finally offed himself? I was on a porch at one of the crusty punk houses in Asheville, NC. I couldn't believe it. He was one of my faves back when I was a sullen message board addict.

Shut up :P

And I was in, like the 6th grade. I didn't know who Elliot Smith was. I've still never heard an Elliot Smith song. I don't really have any interest.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Get "Needle in the Hay" and "Alameda." I was at a birthday party when I found out, but I didn't really care at the time.

Be not silly. "Hospital" is the best Modern Lovers song. "Pablo Picasso" is my second favorite, especially because my introduction to it was the hideous John Cale cover on Helen of Troy so I was like "whoa, this is an awesome song" in comparison to that.

I didn't know who Elliot Smith was. I've still never heard an Elliot Smith song.

Haven't seen The Royal Tenenbaums? That's where everyone I know who hasn't heard any Elliott Smith actually has heard Elliott Smith. "I'm going to kill myself tomorrow."

That Smith went and killed himself a year after that movie came out undercuts the emotional impact of that scene.

Re: where I was at the time, I was in a record store in New York City. I was up there for that year's CMJ fest.

Also, regarding the Modern Lovers, everyone's entitled to their own opinion and all, but citing "Government Center" as their best song is pretty batty. From that album alone, you have "Pablo Picasso," "I'm Straight," "She's Cracked," and, yes, "Roadrunner."

I think I actually read the Elliott Smith news on Pitchfork, when I was checking to see if they had any good reviews that day, before my first class. I recall that a few days later I made a pretty basic "kitchen knife: 1, Elliott Smith: 0" joke, which went over pretty well for how soon it was.

I'd say either "Roadrunner" or "I'm Straight" is my fave song on that album. I, too, was first introduced to "Pablo Picasso" by the shitty John Cale cover, so the Modern Lovers original was something of a revelation when I heard it.

I revisited some of my Elliot Smith albums recently, and definitely prefer either/or to anything else he did. Roman Candle is pretty awesome, too.

I overheard the news from a clerk at the store as he was macking on one of my radio-station cohorts. She was an attractive, slender blonde, and the news of his death came up when she mentioned that Smith was one of her favorite artists.

I guess I hold Government Center near and dear because it was the first Modern Lovers song I heard, but it also has something to do with my fondness of catchy songs about putting on rock shows and shit like that.

Fuck, man, I never realized that the guy spelled his first name with two t's until snuffbox brought it to my attention. What kind of fan am I?

I'm totally in love with Robyn Hitchcock's I Often Dream of Trains. Such a perfect autumn album. Definitely one of my two or three favorite "it's new to me" discoveries this year.