TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Guest Phenom
Best Aphex Twin thing for me to get?

His semi-self-titled album is the best, in my opinion.

Christian hip hop came 16 years ago.

What religion are they in Maine anyway?

Wow and it still hasn't broke huge. I'm telling you it will.

I assume Southern Maine (which is kind of like an extended suburb of Boston) is Catholic. I don't know about the rest of the state, but my buddy that was in the Christian gig always told me had as many if not more gigs in Central Maine and Northern Maine.

What Neil Young albums should I get? I've worn out Live Rust.

Neil Young albums that you can listen with your mom:

Everyone Knows This is Nowhere

After the Gold Rush

Harvest

Neil Young albums you'd be better off listening to alone, in a darkened room:

On the Beach

Tonight's the Night

Guest JebusNassedar

Four notes.

-I don't know if I've said this before or not, but Thumbtack is right about "Anthems of the Welkin at Dusk" being top level shit in Black Metal. I, admittedly, havent listened to much of the genre, but the two albums I did pick up (That, and Immortal's "Sons of Northern Darkness") have really opened things up for me.

-I'm never going to understand the Alice in Chains love. Ever.

-Am I the only one who finished "Leviathan" (Mastodon) with a feeling of 'meh' compared to Remission?

-VH1 Classic is the best channel ever.

Tonight's the Night is the only Neil Young album I'd recommend. Fuck Neil Young.

From what I know of you, Thumbtack, here's some Aphex starting points:

Richard D. James Album is probably his most accessible, and has a louder, more aggressive tone.

If you do get that one, the next one you should get is the Come to Daddy LP, which is similar, but a bit lighter and weirder, and then I Care Because You Do, which is where, in my opinion, he best balanced commercial sensibility with... everything else he does.

If you would rather dive right into his best work without a preparation course, get both volumes of Selected Ambient Works, but be warned that he's serious about the ambient part, especially on Vol. 2, and 26 Mixes For Cash, which is titled similarly to Throbbing Gristle albums. He'll do a remix without ever having heard the original song, for example. It's not easily described, but you have to hear it.

Don't get drukqs until you're pretty familiar with his work, but once you kind of understand him, it's a must.

And get that Mike and Rich album, and the Windowlicker single for light, funny stuff, which is insanely disturbing at the same time.

He is fantastic. Live at the Harlem Square Club is the one to grab if you want him at his best - gravelly, clever, hot hot heated. The new compilations that came out a year or two ago are pretty great too, for some straight-up late 50s/early 60s pop perfection.

Worst greatest hits album I've ever bought was Nazareth's Greatest Hits live. I bought it al Wal-Mart for like four or five bucks and the world live was in super small font. I wouldn't have been so mad if it had the word live in readable font. Not only was it a live CD with shoddy quality, it was recorded live in 1998 so it wasn't even prime Nazareth. Even though I bought it only for Hair of the Dog, I felt gipped.

He is fantastic. Live at the Harlem Square Club is the one to grab if you want him at his best - gravelly, clever, hot hot heated. The new compilations that came out a year or two ago are pretty great too, for some straight-up late 50s/early 60s pop perfection.

I've heard that album a few times, and when I was finally ready to buy it, I was at a used cd store with not enough scratch on me for purchase. I came back the next day, like 15 minutes after the place opened, and it was GONE. I was so pissed.

Since I was talking about Marilyn Manson earlier, I couldn't help but notice that less girls want to fuck him than I'd think. Plenty... but not up to rock star standards. Must be his big schnozz. They all wanted Twiggy, who, the groupies tell me, has a small dick and can't get it up because of his coke habit. His personal hygiene is also supposed to be very poor, supported by the time he blatantly and repeatedly picked his nose on Howard Stern's E show.

This tells you that you can take the most unappealing, disgusting guy you can find, put him in a dress and make up, and he'll have to beat off the chicks with a stick.

This tells you that you can take the most unappealing, disgusting guy you can find, put him in a dress and make up, and he'll have to beat off the chicks with a stick.

It worked for the 80's hairbands.

From what I know of you, Thumbtack, here's some Aphex starting points:

Richard D. James Album is probably his most accessible, and has a louder, more aggressive tone.

If you do get that one, the next one you should get is the Come to Daddy LP, which is similar, but a bit lighter and weirder, and then I Care Because You Do, which is where, in my opinion, he best balanced commercial sensibility with... everything else he does.

If you would rather dive right into his best work without a preparation course, get both volumes of Selected Ambient Works, but be warned that he's serious about the ambient part, especially on Vol. 2, and 26 Mixes For Cash, which is titled similarly to Throbbing Gristle albums. He'll do a remix without ever having heard the original song, for example. It's not easily described, but you have to hear it.

Very good. BitTorrent is working to grind these out at the moment.

Animist. They worship at Lobster Temples.

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if Downeast Maine worshipped the lobster (Downeast Maine is the tourist trap of Maine and has been slammed in several articles online).

the lead singer of survivor now does the 'real men of genius' commercials. are you telling me you have no respect for the man who taught you that it was the thrill of the fight, rising up to the challenge of your rivals?

the lead singer of survivor now does the 'real men of genius' commercials. are you telling me you have no respect for the man who taught you that it was the thrill of the fight, rising up to the challenge of your rivals?

I was looking on Pollstar and I saw that Survivor is playing a gig at a campground in North Carolina opening up for Starship. Imagine walking out of your tent and seeing a bunch of overweight guys in there fifties blaring We Built This City.

I just found out there was a John Lee Hooker Jr....and he only started recording after his dad's death. Yeah this guy isn't trying to cash in on his father's legend.

It's because of the tragic nature of his death that he becomes idolized.

that explains the rampant idolizing of blind melon and drowning pool today, doesn't it.

something about the transfer of my copy of 'bringing it all back home' from vinyl to cd has made it much more enjoyable. i've listened to this thing 4 times since i bought it yesterday, and i find myself a lot more forgiving of dylan trying to sing way too high on "mr tambourine man" and "it's all over now, baby blue." maybe i've just grown as a person.

and "they asked me for some collateral and i pulled down my pants" is just a great line.

Guest Vitamin X

that explains the rampant idolizing of blind melon and drowning pool today, doesn't it.

Well, I had to come up with some kind of rationale... And both of those bands you mentioned were one-hit wonders, so I'm not sure they really help that argument much. I hadn't heard of Jeff Buckley until AFTER he died, then all of a sudden I'm hearing about how great he was, same with Elliot Smith although not to the same degree because Smith at least was well-respected and acknowledged.

Well, I had to come up with some kind of rationale... And both of those bands you mentioned were one-hit wonders, so I'm not sure they really help that argument much. I hadn't heard of Jeff Buckley until AFTER he died, then all of a sudden I'm hearing about how great he was, same with Elliot Smith although not to the same degree because Smith at least was well-respected and acknowledged.

Well, considering that you would have only been eleven when Grace came out, I'm not really surprised on Buckley. I hadn't really heard of him until someone slipped "Hallelujah" onto a mix disc for me my last year of high school. As for Elliott Smith: he played at the freakin' Academy Awards in 1998, and Either/Or and X/O were super-popular among indie kids when they came out. There might be a few people who only really got into him post-death, but he'd had a steady base of fans for five or six years.

This new Bonnie "Prince" Billy album, Superwolf, is okay (better than Master and Everyone, definitely), but it feels like the work of a man who's content on making an album that's simply passable. I dunno, that's just based on one listen, but we'll see, I guess.

This new Bonnie "Prince" Billy album, Superwolf, is okay (better than Master and Everyone, definitely), but it feels like the work of a man who's content on making an album that's simply passable. I dunno, that's just based on one listen, but we'll see, I guess.

"My Home is the Sea" and "Blood Embarrase" are the best songs, I think.