TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

How do you like that. Midnite Vultures is my favorite Beck album too. It's retarded and good. Like Odelay as well, and have found his more meditative stuff occasionally interesting, but never too addictive.

Off to another Morrissey gig tonight  :headbang:

See you at Earl's court on sat?

Yep. I'll be dressed as a priest but with a black Mozfather t-shirt for the occassion.

Just back from Brum. Really enjoyable gig despite two things -

a) we were in seats... it's not right unless Morrissey knows you're there, and that means standing at the front.

b) 'we' refers to me and my ex-girlfriend who bought the tickets ages ago when still together and then I was too much of a bastard to let her have my ticket. So that was kind of awkward, but didn't really spoil it.

Great to hear Bigmouth Stikes Again live. The band play it brilliantly.

Good lad. I was gonna try and get some priest garb but there's a christian in my uni hall who actually brings up christianity in every conversation ever, and can fuck off. Maybe some rosary beads. The gig has been placed in good stead by the image on the ticket being awesome. Any idea who's supporting on this one? I pray for sparks, but y'know.

You know, I've never listened to any Smog, so for the past two hours I've been on Soulseek trying to find some, with little avail. The closest I came to succeeding wasn't worth the wait, as it was taking like 90 minutes just to get one song.

I'll just buy one of their fucking albums, then. Seems like something I'd enjoy, anyway.

I hope you don't mind

if I take your private life

slap it on the table

and split it...with a knife

See, I'm still waiting for the Smog I ordered, but after I saw that lyric in a write-up I must say it seemed up my alley.

Guest Fire and Knives

I dig Midnite Vultures as well. The only Beck album I don't love is Sea Change.

Has Tom Waits made a shitty album? Not an album that you don't personally like, but an outright piece of shit?

Guest TheGregWitul
Does anyone know what the story is with "Sister Midnight" from The Idiot and "Red Money" from Lodger being the exact same song with different lyrics?

I know this is over two weeks late, and since the thread itself is twelve pages in length, I have not had the chance to read through all of it...With that said:

Bowie and Iggy Pop went to Berlin to try and clean themselves up, as Bowie was losing his mind on drugs, and Iggy had already lost it. While going to Berlin was the plan to clean up, Bowie had also planned on getting to work on new material, and with Iggy in tow, Bowie was hoping to respark Iggy's fledging career.

It works out like this:

1. Bowie and Pop head to Berlin

2. Bowie works on 'The Idiot' with Pop while getting ready to work with Brian Eno, Tony Visconti, and some holdovers from the 'Station To Station' sessions.

3. The first track Bowie/Pop worked on was 'Sister Midnight', with Bowie helping Pop write the music/lyrics. Keep this in mind, as Bowie played a lesser hand on Iggy's second Berlin record, 'Lust For Life'.

4. Bowie enjoys living 'low key' and helping Iggy out. He would play live with Pop on some dates (as an unannounced keyboard player).

5. Bowie, Eno, Visconti, Carlos Alomar, Iggy, and a few others are involved in the recording of Bowie's 'Low'. Visconti, not Eno, is the producer (For all three Berlin era albums), and Iggy is involved with backing vocals (Much like Bowie was for Pop's Berlin records)

6. Bowie and Pop record 'Lust For Life'. Iggy plays a much larger role here, and one can notice that in the music. Both albums are easily Iggy's best work.

7. The 'Low' gang, along with Robert Fripp (Who had his guitar work done in one take) regroup to work on "Heroes", the title track features unique microphone placement, and Bowie belting out his best lyric from across the studio (You can notice the microphone/vocal work better on the Aphex Twin reworking, as raw tape is used for the track). The song also has an inside lyric to an affair that Tony Visonti was having at this time (Fun Fact: Visconti's wife laid down backing vocals on some 'Low' tracks).

8. Bowie tours with Iggy as his keyboard player.

9. The usual suspects regroup to record 'Lodger'. Bowie was growing hungry for a more commercial appeal of sorts, and Eno pushed for the introduction of his blend of 'world' music for the album. The experiments continue, but one can tell that this would be the last Bowie/Eno collaboration for quite a while (Actually up until the 90's, with the '1.Outside' album)

10. The last track recorded was 'Red Money', using the exact backing track as 'Sister Midnight'. If you pay attention to the song, you'll notice the repeat lyric of 'project cancelled', which was the fitting way to end the Berlin experience - the first track ends up being the last track.

Suffice it to say, there was a lot of groundbreaking music being made back in the late 70's (1977-79) by Bowie and gang. The sessions are great to read up on, as they go into the experiments, Eno's 'Oblique Strategies' cards (Used at random), the new techniques used during the 'Low' sessions, the great backstories of the "Heroes" (The title always being in quotations, as it is meant to be sarcastic) sessions, and the underrated 'Lodger', along with Iggy's albums (And even Eno's groundbreaking work at the time). Well worth checking out. My favorite period of music...

Hope this helps some, and if someone answered your question in the pages ahead, you should probably enjoy the timeline of sorts...

j.

So I've been listening to The Arcade Fire album more, and I'm warming up to it. Still doesn't crack my top ten of the year.

I would call it musically derivative but emotionally resonant.

I don't remember where I heard of this band called Aberfeldy, but the guy in the band looks a lot like this guy I used to know. I listened to them because of this and you know, it was pretty good. It's a new band, I think.

Alright, I have a question but I don't think it warrants a thread. Is Jackass(The Band) a side project of CKY (The band) or just other members of the cast of Jackass? Are that many castmembers of Jackass musically knowledgeable?

In spite of the protests of my housemates, "Sweet 69" by Babes In Toyland sounds great when driving to work at 7.30 in the morning, while "Nobody's Hero" by the Stiff Little Fingers makes me airdrum the steering wheel, to the concern of my passengers. However, in spite of it's greatness, "Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely" by Husker Du doesn't work, due to quieter production demanding a vast increase in stereo volume.

Problem with any major volume increases is that the speakers in my car can't really deal with them, instead transforming great songs into unlistenable static noise, which is why I prefer my passengers not to talk much during "DWTKIYAL", purely so I can actually hear it.

Alright, I have a question but I don't think it warrants a thread. Is Jackass(The Band) a side project of CKY (The band) or just other members of the cast of Jackass? Are that many castmembers of Jackass musically knowledgeable?

I wasn't even aware there was a band by the name of Jackass, but after visiting what I assume is their site, they're definitely not involved in that whole clique.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

My friend made a mix today and it's pretty decent save for this song "I got a bad feeling about you"...Who is this band so I know to ignore them.

I heart Jon Brion.

And My Bloody Valentine.

And The Jesus and Mary Chain.

And Haddaway.

And you know what? Ever listen to other national anthems? You know, foreign ones, and really listen to them? Those are some really fucking well-done songs. "Rule Britannia" is soaring. No wonder they're representing millions of people. Ours is pretty fuckin' badass too. Imagine eagles and shit with rocket launchers blowing up liberals and Colin Powell (for not agreeing with the group).

Guest The Shadow Behind You
My friend made a mix today and it's pretty decent save for this song "I got a bad feeling about you"...Who is this band so I know to ignore them.

It's Taking Back Sunday. I'd like to take back the 3 1/2 minutes i lost listening to them.

Ever listen to other national anthems? You know, foreign ones, and really listen to them? Those are some really fucking well-done songs. "Rule Britannia" is soaring. No wonder they're representing millions of people.

That's not the national anthem.

Guest evenflowDDT
However, in spite of it's greatness, "Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely" by Husker Du doesn't work, due to quieter production demanding a vast increase in stereo volume.

Green Day recorded a cover version, attached to one of the Warning singles (maybe even "Warning")...I'm sure it's a little louder :P

I wasn't even aware there was a band by the name of Jackass, but after visiting what I assume is their site, they're definitely not involved in that whole clique.

Yeah, after reading there site, they're a novelty band featuring one of the members of Bad Religion. So it is a side project, but not a side project of any of the cast members of Jackass.