TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

That marks one of the rare cases that someone lists a genre or something on here and it totally goes over my head. Whoa.

Eh, there not genres as much terms some have used to describe some post punk bands that used funk and disco rhythms in their songs, i.e. Gang of Four, Material, and others. If you like LCD Soundsystem and !!!, you might like some of it.

As a follow-up to the Deftones query: Went to the show, Fall of Troy was at worst a damn good warm-up act, Dir En Grey rocked the shit and completely made me a fan (and my g/f caught a drum stick, huzzah), and the Deftones...well, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and just say that they simply couldn't follow the rad-ass show Dir En Grey put on, but we left a couple songs into their set. Still, ranks among the best concerts I've been to.

i'm slowly coming to realize that i never really liked the white stripes all that much, i just really wanted to like them.

I dunno, White Blood Cells is still fantastic, and the first two albums both have moments in the good/great area.

Elephant, a few standout tracks notwithstanding, is the beginning of the downward spiral.

My opinon on the White Stripes seems to shift a lot. Sometimes, I think they are great, bluesy rock music, other times I think they are incredibly boring. In other words, I can't really make up my mind about them.

Guest George's Box

I never got into the White Stripes. Decent enough, but not worth the fuss. And is it just me, or is this already like their fifth or sixth album?

i'm slowly coming to realize that i never really liked the white stripes all that much, i just really wanted to like them.

I agree with this statement entirely.

The new one may be their best since White Blood Cells.

You know, I need to revisit White Blood Cells. I never had my own copy of it and I don't think I gave it enough time relative to the other two albums that followed it. Elephant was great at the time, but it hasn't aged that well. Get Behind Me Satan was a let-down, at least IMHO.

I like the new album, especially the title track. It just seemed like a fun single when I first heard it on the radio, but damn does it sound heavy on a good sound system.

I unabashedly love White Blood Cells, no equivocation. Elephant was decent but I never revisit it, and I've barely heard anything off the last album or this new one. And I never bothered to check out the first two albums either. I'm actually incredibly not familiar with the majority of their work, I guess.

I haven't heard much of their stuff, but I really dig the stuff I have heard. Their cover of "Death Letter Blues" is especially good.

Holy fuck, Rainbow In The Dark is a great song. What Ronnie James Dio work (whether Elf, Rainbow, Sabbath or Dio) would his fans amongst you point me towards?

Holy Diver and Mob Rules are some alright songs. Though those are really the only two Dio songs I know off the top of my head. His work on the Tenacious D Pick of Destiny soundtrack is awesome, though.

Saw the Police and Foo Fighters last night at Dodger Stadium. Both bands put on a good show, though "Don't Stand So Close to Me" was a little too laid back for my taste. "Message in a Bottle", "Roxanne", "Every Breath You Take" and "Next to You" were amazing. Apparently, the show will be the live DVD.

Holy fuck, Rainbow In The Dark is a great song. What Ronnie James Dio work (whether Elf, Rainbow, Sabbath or Dio) would his fans amongst you point me towards?

Check out both "Holy Diver" and "The Last In Line" albums. Both are the best Dio's ever done.

The Lounge Lizards are pretty awesome.

Get the best of the Dio years Sabbath comp that came out recently. His current stuff with Sabbath as Heaven and Hell is actually really good too.

Sunn0))), Earth, Weedeater, and Wolves in the Throne Room are touring the west coast right now.