TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

This technically might belong in the TV folder, but ...

MTV is a joke, during an episode of Made (don't ask why I was watching it) they played in the background a song by The Freeze, a kickass old-school Boston punk/hardcore band. Needless to say, The Freeze are NOT the type of band that MTV has ever shown, or would ever publicize, so to play them in the background pissed me off.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I probably do. I'm buying it. Lucid Interval was full of bass drops and twiddling freak-outs. I'd like to hear that same low end with the flipouts going someplace other than limbo.

While perusing some albums I might be interested in, I ran across Split Your Guts, Vol. 1 by a band of the same name. I like the Vol. 1 in the title.

Now the first track of this album is called "Fuck Your Arse With Broken Glass". The use of arse when ass rhymes with glass is puzzling. I suspect this may be parody. If not, that's a pretty oblivious thing to do.

Which reminds me of something else. At the conculsion of Faces of Death IV, the fake doctor performs a song (also called "Faces of Death"). Sounds a bit like Nick Cave. Anyway, it should be commercially released. Being set to a montage that looked like America's Funniest Home Videos: Too Hot For TV! helped, but I think it's strong enough on it's own.

Come to think of it, the Faces of Death series should be renamed America's Funniest Home Videos: Too Hot For TV! Bob Saget's ridiculous voices are right up there with the Benny Hill music in ability to make any footage funny. I must buy the rights to FoD and release it on dvd with Benny Hill version and Bob Saget commentary.

On the Beavis and BUTT-Head Do America soundtrack, White Zombie has a song called "Rat Finks, Suicide Tanks and Cannibal Girls". As well as one of the worst names I've ever heard, it has a really good, simple riff. The riff is no "Back in Black", but it's a "Sweet Home Alabama" maybe. White Zombie was much better than Rob.

Another guitar riff which I never really acknowledged as good but it is was Radiohead's "I Might Be Wrong".

okay, i have nothing else to do tonight, so i decided i want to take the tracks from 'speakerboxxx' and 'the love below' & reorder them into one organic whole, and basically see if it works. and i need YOUR help.

Intro

Ghetto Musick

Unhappy

Bowtie

The Way You Move

The Rooster

Bust

War

Church

Bamboo (Interlude)

Tomb of the Boom

E-Mac (Interlude)

Knowing

Flip Flop Rock

Interlude

Reset

D-Boi (Interlude)

Last Call

Bowtie (Postlude)

The Love Below (Intro)

Love Hater

God (Interlude)

Happy Valentine's Day

Spread

Where Are My Panties?

Prototype

She Lives in My Lap

Hey Ya!

Roses

Good Day, Good Sir

Behold a Lady

Pink & Blue

Love in War

She's Alive

Dracula's Wedding

My Favorite Things

Take Off Your Cool

Vibrate

A Life in the Day of Benjamin André (Incomplete)

feel free to offer suggestions about what would go nicely with what, what should be cut, etc.

and no "oh, they're two completely separate albums complete in themselves and you can't put them together it won't work" crap. unless you speak from experience, then tell me where it went wrong and help me learn from your mistakes so that i can succeed where you failed.

I've tried cutting it down to a single-disc album, which is pretty tough if you want to keep any of the tone of The Love Below intact. Have to lose a lot of the skits and longer songs that give Dre's side much of its appeal. I might take a crack at this later tonight.

see, those skits just kill the momentum for me. it's nice to have a little beat between songs sometimes, but they just go on forever without any real angle to make it work (except the random yelling of "ice cold!" in "where are my panties"). should've been like 40 seconds and not 2 minutes. this is generally why i prefer big boi's album: more meat, less fat.

I agree with that statement.

I'd suggest opening with "Bowtie" and closing with "Ghetto Musick". Drop "Hey Ya". I know it's the hit, but I just don't like it.

i actually built the whole thing around "hey ya" being the big climax of the album.

tentatively, just feeling my way through it without any regard for "but what about that song", i got:

1 Speakerboxxx Intro

2 Bowtie

3 The Way You Move

4 Interlude

5 Love Hater

6 Tomb of the Boom

7 Roses

8 Flip Flop Rock

9 Pink & Blue

10 Unhappy

11 War

12 Happy Valentine's Day

13 Spread

14 Knowing

15 Take Off Your Cool

16 The Rooster

17 She Lives in My Lap

18 Ghetto Musick

19 Hey Ya!

21 The Love Below (Intro)

this shit is hard, andre's tracks are really loose and wandery, and when you put them next to big boi's tight dense stuff it just sounds weird. there's a considerable bias to big boi's disc, cause his tracks just tend to be more malleable against other songs around them. the "love hater"/"tomb of the boom" punch works a lot better than it should. after about track 12 or so it starts to fall apart and get redundant. i'll keep working on it till i get sick of listening to these songs over & over again.

this shit is hard, andre's tracks are really loose and wandery, and when you put them next to big boi's tight dense stuff it just sounds weird.  there's a considerable bias to big boi's disc, cause his tracks just tend to be more malleable against other songs around them.  the "love hater"/"tomb of the boom" punch works a lot better than it should.  after about track 12 or so it starts to fall apart and get redundant.  i'll keep working on it till i get sick of listening to these songs over & over again.

That's the problem I've had shuffling between the two. Big Boi's disc is way better overall; the mood I mentioned before about Andre's disc is for better and for worse for sure.

Try tossing "Reset" in there somewhere to blend from Big Boi to Andre. It's one of the few tracks on Speakerboxxx that I'd call loose. Cee-lo helps a lot for that.

Interesting you kept "Tomb of the Boom," which is the weakest track on the album, I think. Whenever Outkast goes gangsta, it never works.

I think "Gangsta Shit" from Stankonia being the most odious example; Big Boi and Andre have never made for convincing thugs, yet they always put at least one of these tracks on each of their albums, as if to maintain street cred.

i always did think it was a pretty weak track, but it seemed to work after "love hater," at least on first listen. it has since been replaced with "the rooster," which works better in that place and is a great song anyway.

and putting "ghetto musick" next to "hey ya" was a really bad idea. as were many of my other choices.

i have a hard time in general listening to an outkast album all the way through--even the 'speakerboxxx' disc, which is the shortest & most straightforward thing of theirs i own. after a while the songs just stop registering and i can't pay attention anymore. i don't even think it's a matter of frontloading their albums, the sound of their approach is just kind of exhausting.

I like the idea of building the album around "Hey Ya," but man, I never want to hear that song ever again.

Also, in my mind, "Ghetto Musick" and "Hey Ya" seem like they'd pair up well—especially in a concert setting, where one would launch right into the other—but I've never bothered listening to them back-to-back, so I dunno.

I guess at some benefit concert in Seattle, Alice in Chains reformed, and Maynard James Keenan performed a few songs with them, which would have been pretty nifty too see.

Hoodie hoo when we see cops. "West Savannah" is a lazy, loping song, much as I imagine Savannah to be.

And I like "Gangsta Shit." Not "Tomb of the Boom," though. The skit with Big Boi's son cursing and singing "The Whole World" that uses the same beat is better, which, uh, isn't saying much.