TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

The new Handsome Boy Modeling School CD "White People" is tremendous. Maybe only 1 to 2 bad songs on the whole thing. The skits are a bit much, but that's about the only real fault I have with the whole thing.

Got around to listening to Seamonsters finally. Pretty good. It was my first exposer to the Wedding Present. Took a couple songs to get used to the singer's voice. Feels like I'll like it better after a few more listens.

You guys ever had a situation where you don't care for a performer or a group normally, but one of their songs just gets to you? Coldplay's like that with me, I thought most of their stuff was just kinda boring and bland, but then I heard The Scientist and damn near broke down crying. Still can't explain it to this day.

A few times. Happened just recently with Lil Flip. "Game Over" was an awesome song, probably in my top 10 from last year, but even though his double album is now going for $10, I still don't really want it. Wish I could find the single with the kickass remix as well.

Weird thing: "Game Over" is the most overused entrance music on the indy circuit. I can literally think of at least eight different workers who've used it, just in my area alone.

Who the hell is this Planet Funk I'm listening to? Everything seems to suggest they're unknown in America but this stuff is so good, and very radio friendly, and incredibly club ready all at the same time, I can't believe they're not huge superstars. It seems much more likely it's just me who hasn't noticed them. Good band.

So I've never been a Paul McCartney fan, at all, but that SuperBowl performance was intense, especially considering his age.

Oh, and Suicide is playing at the ATP Festival in Europe this year, along with Olivia Tremor Control and Slint. I want to be there.

So, the Lawrence Interpol concert is tomorrow. But alas, I will not be there. Winter weather is an everlasting buzzkill.

Oh well, I'm sure Arcade Fire would've been better.

What tracks would you recommend for Planet Funk?

"Who Said"

"The Switch"

"Chase the Sun"

"Inside All the People"

They've only got the one album so far, it's all good really.

friend just text-messaged the following joke to me:

"what has nine arms and sucks?

"def leppard."

probably an old joke, but i've never heard it before and i wanted to share it with the group.

I have heard that before actually.

I'm listening to this chick called Jacki O after hearing her on the "Georgia Dome" remix (she outnastied the Twins there, actually). Nothing Lil Kim or Trina haven't done before but pretty fun stuff.

Anybody who likes the Ying Yangs should download this song she did with them called "Fine", you'll like it.

In the however many years I've owned Joy Division's Substance, I might be able to count on one hand the number of times I've listened to it in its entirety. I usually shut it off after "Love Will Tear Us Apart," as the rest of the album is boring.

I'm reminded of this because it happened it again today.

Something that I'm out of the know of: When exactly IS your radio show, Incandenza? You told me a while back but I obviously forgot, and forgot that you had a radio show in general until about two minutes ago.

And yes, the two proper albums rise above Substance tenfold.

So today I ventured in to the library at school, and right next to all of the typica sollege reference books, they had an AMAZING stash of cd's. Everything from bach and Mozart to Miles Davis and Monk, with some Pavement and Liz Phair in between. I even saw an EPMD album. I really need to start going to the library more often. And I gotta buy some blanks.

In the however many years I've owned Joy Division's Substance, I might be able to count on one hand the number of times I've listened to it in its entirety. I usually shut it off after "Love Will Tear Us Apart," as the rest of the album is boring.

I'm reminded of this because it happened it again today.

I partially agree with this assesment except the whole album is boring unless I'm in the right mood. This mood involves wine and candles.

Does Britney Spears really need a greatest hits album? She's been around for like 5 years.

Eh, she's got enough hits. I don't think it's longevity at all, the Backstreet Boys had a greatest hits album like three years ago and they had only been around for two or three years at that time. I think it's the amount of hits not amount of years. Besides I think she's too lazy to record a whole album right now.

And hopefully by the good graces of God, she'll stay lazy the rest of her life, and stay away from the studio.

If she can put out more stuff like "Every Time" I wouldn't call to ban her from ever singing again. I was surprised that a pop diva like her would make a song/video that dark & depressing (and not just whiny and oh-poor-me like "Lucky").

Really? Hmm. I always thought she seemed like she had a smidgen of artistic talent in there somewhere, but it usually got lost in her songs' stupid messages of "I'm so hot" or "grrrl power!".

Oh, I'd hold her singing voice up to the best of them. Her problems is she keeps doing this hip hop dancefloor stuff when she needs actual song songs to showcase what she can actually do better than anyone else in her position.

I know you probably won't actually do it, but if you listened to all of Stripped, it's really quite an avant garde pop album. I said this deep within this same thread somewhere I think. As a whole, everything fits into a (I'm not sure it's entirely conscious) picture of fragile insecurity. Her brazen claims, in this context, become especially poignant and you realize her eyeroll inducing mission statement are truer than they intially seemed. Whether she's consciously creating her own public and self image or merely reacting to it remains to be seen. Among other things. Of course, this is no easy task... it's really a very long album. That bloatedness is it's main flaw.