TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

The Gin Blossoms' New Miserable Experience might be the most underappreciated commercial success of the 90s. Seriously fucking solid album that the indie kids should enjoy now, seeing how they (Gin Blossoms) only wanted to be Big Star. They even recorded this album in the same studio Big Star did their records, ferchrissakes.

It works. I'm not saying it's on par with either #1 Record or Radio City, but it deserves recognition beyond those with a soft spot for 90's alternaradio.

I had that 8 or 10 years ago and didn't like it. My tastes have refined since then, maybe I should try again.

You know who I like from back then? Live. I just looked them up on allmusic, and I pretty much hate all the bands in the similar artists section. Guess they got lucky. The blonde fellow from Silverchair most turned me gay though, I must say.

they got really sucky after 'throwing copper'. their last single about god and ed's kid and whatnot never fails to trigger my gag reflex.

I would agree.

Something I like is when a song uses a sample I don't recognize and I then encounter it in it's original context some time later. Mostly bits from movies, I'm talking about. The highest volume from one source when I watched Last Tango in Paris, as it turns out Marilyn Manson had lifted tons of dialogue from it on his first album. I pick up stuff the Thrill Kill Kult has used all the time, they're some sampling motherfuckers. It's like the prize in a box of cracker jacks.

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark
You know who I like from back then? Live. I just looked them up on allmusic, and I pretty much hate all the bands in the similar artists section. Guess they got lucky. The blonde fellow from Silverchair most turned me gay though, I must say.

Mental Jewelry is quite solid..."Pain Lies On The Riverside" is a great song, and "Operation: Spirit" (the one some people might know, as it was a single), which might be the "worst" on the album, isn't bad either.

I really disliked Throwing Copper back in the day, and still do; I'm just an old curmudgeon.

While listening to London Calling on the way back from my Psych midterm, I realized that there may not be a better album in terms of song placement. While the tones/tempos of each song are different, they all manage to flow perfectly from one to another. and "Hateful" might be the best 4th album track ever.

And on Gin Blossoms, I watched Empire Records for the first time in years Friday night, and I got a bit nostalgic hearing them along with Sponge. "Plowed" was my favourite "one-hit wonder" from the decade. Great fucking song. And I too may be picking up New Miserable Experience again. I had it back in the day, but somehow lost it.

I find it ironic that Ice-T once sang about killing cops, and ten years later he's on Law & Order working with the cops.

I was listening to Naveed by Our Lady Peace at work yesterday, and its probably one of the best Canadian albums ever released.

Well, you know, Ice T always made a point that he was killing cops who deserved it. I suppose he could say he's being one of the good ones.

And on Gin Blossoms, I watched Empire Records for the first time in years Friday night, and I got a bit nostalgic hearing them along with Sponge. "Plowed" was my favourite "one-hit wonder" from the decade. Great fucking song.

i always preferred "wax ecstatic." catchier, and had more balls to it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Didn't they do that number about the girl who thinks she missed the train to Mars, and is out back counting stars?

I like Gin Blossoms and I have both their albums. But anyway, any thoughts on Garbage? I saw that their new album is about to drop so I relistened to their old stuff. Version 2.0 is an excellent album, I had forgotten how good it was. The first single off of 'Bleed Like Me' is Why Do You Love Me? Its pretty good, but not the most original song though. Alot different from their older stuff.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm gonna take my vitamins. Vitamins, Vitamins.

You're gonna take your vitamins. Vitamins, Vitamins.

But anyway, any thoughts on Garbage?

I like Garbage, but I can't get in depth with my opinions. There's a guy here that can, whose name I don't remember. Prefered their first album, myself.

I'm still not sure what Disco Lemonade is, in reference to the Marcy Playground lyric. I gather it's some kind of mixed drink, but some sources suggest the drink was inspired by the song and not vice versa. While thinking about that, I asked myself "Who was that one band with the singer that kind of sounded like that guy, but I liked?" It was the Eels, a band whose first album I had and then completely forgot about. Listened to it again, then went ahead and got their second, which I liked better. I, too, have recently been rediscovering some forgotten albums of the mid 90s.

It's funny that you guys mentioned some of these bands. I like a lot of 90's alternarock, and last night I happened to get high and listen to the s/t Marcy Playground CD, New Miserable Experience, and The Cranberries' To The Faithful Departed. I also heard The Eels' Novacaine For The Soul on the radio.

I need to go find some similar stuff on Launchcast radio. I haven't even bothered with that service since I got SBC Yahoo DSL 2 months ago.

Guest Van Mundegaarde

The Decemberists are fucking crazy. I just bought Picaresque today and think I might very well like it better than Castaways and Cutouts. I won't know for sure until i listen to it three or four more times; but the one-two punch of "The Infanta" and "We Both Go Down Together" is amazing. I especially like ELO-esque strings on the latter.

Has anybody here seen them live? I'm thinking about catching them when they come to Nashville.

So I've been listening to some old folk music and some bluegrass, stemming from my interest in the banjo. I'm very impressed, not only with the banjo work, but the genre as a whole. It has all the spirit and technique and romance of the blues, and I now have just as much material to explore as I did when I first got into blues. Even though this is country in it's extreme infancy, I would now say I enjoy too many elements of country for it to be a style I don't like. I now officially like everything.

But anyway, any thoughts on Garbage?

I enjoy Garbage alot. Shirley Manson plays the role of depressed loner chick very well. Her lyrics, while not the greatest, are just fine for the band. I don't Garbage 2.0, but I have the self-titled and beautifulgarbage. And I think I may be the only person who prefers beautifulgarbage to all their other work.

The Decemberists are fucking crazy. I just bought Picaresque today and think I might very well like it better than Castaways and Cutouts. I won't know for sure until i listen to it three or four more times; but the one-two punch of "The Infanta" and "We Both Go Down Together" is amazing. I especially like ELO-esque strings on the latter.

Has anybody here seen them live? I'm thinking about catching them when they come to Nashville.

I saw them live a couple of years ago. They were good, though nothing approaching "crazy."

I hate the song "Jingle Bell Rock" because it's not rock at all. I hate the way it gets used when they want something traditional but sort of cool. It's as cool as Macualay Culkin in sunglasses. The only thing even remotely approaching it being cooler than regular Jingle Bells is a black guy sings it.

On an unrelated note, I was thinking of doing something with "Hey Jude", either a new composition or some sort of remix, and making it "Hey Jew". That made me think of this Chinese cover of "Get Off Of My Cloud" I heard once where they garbled the lyrics as "Hey Jew... Get my car." Pretty funny.

Saw Interpol at the 9:30 Club last night. These guys get better every time I see them. Quite a pleasure to hear so much of Antics live; anyone going ought to watch for "Take You On A Cruise" and "Not Even Jail" as highlights.

Blonde Redhead opened and were awful. Sorry, Special K.

As for underappreciated 90s rock, I give you Kerbdog's On The Turn. And Swell's ...WELL?.

In a similar vein, I recently rediscovered Wilt, Cormac from Kerbdog's other band. Their debut album "Bastinado" is only 5 years old, but sounds like it wouldn't be out of place second on the bill at a Posies gig in the early 90's. I mean this in the best possilbe way.