TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Wonderful. My roommate and her boyfriend are in her room, blasting Le Tigre. (To drown out any sex noises, I guess.)

So I'm listening to LCD Soundsystem to counteract it. It's a fun little record, but I can't imagine it being something I'd listen to very often.

The album's a little too erratic; James Murphy clearly had a lot of fun making this record, but he'd benefit from acquiring his own identity, rather than the guy who listened to a lot of left-of-center music from the 70s. This makes for a pretty good guessing game the first listen—hey, he's making like Brian Eno here, but there, he's like the Fall!—but not all of the songs are strong enough to stand up to repeated listens, I think. We'll see.

(Oh, the album is packaged with a bonus disc, containing LCD's early singles, which, as it happens, are better than the album proper.)

fake edit:

Here are the strongest tracks

(from the main album)

Daft Punk is Playing at My House

Tribulations

Movement

(from the bonus disc)

The whole disc is solid (minus "Tired"), but "Losing My Edge" and "Beat Connection" are the standouts.

I will probably give that a try.

Oh hey, I got that Sneetches album. They're not bad. They sound like the Zombies, but not enough to where you may as well just listen to the Zombies.

I'm going to see Nile with Dying Fetus on support for my birthday next week. Should be a good way to die. And a reason not to go to my maths lecture the following morning.

Because of Agent, I'm giving Neurosis another shot, by way of Through Silver in Blood. Downloading now.

Also, I like this new Dead Meadow album, Feathers, though it appears I forgot to grab the last track when transferring the station copy to my iPod. A fifteen minute track, too. Oh well, I'll likely end up buying it, anyway.

Speaking of Dead Meadow and LCD Soundsytem, as a part of my series Listening to Music Released This Year, I am now checking out the Doves' Some Cities. Doves is a band long-touted by people I know to have respectable taste, so, listening to this album, I am wondering why. They sound like a more rockin' Coldplay.

Which isn't a good thing, obv.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I'm going to see Nile with Dying Fetus on support for my birthday next week. Should be a good way to die. And a reason not to go to my maths lecture the following morning.

Christ, pack a first aid kit. Those are two of the five most violent bands I've ever seen live.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Dillinger Escape Plan in a tiny bingo hall, Nasum in a bigger bingo hall, and Plague Bringer at someone's house are the other three.

Also, for the second time ever, I'll be playing a metal band on my show this Sunday. It may be the third time, if you count GWAR.

Now that I think about it, it might be the fourth time, if you count Sunn O))). I don't think Sunn O))) are really metal, though.

What does Agent of Oblivion think.

I just now saw this Eric Prydz "Call On Me" video. The video creepily reminded me of Fatboy Slim's "Praise You", but the song is one of the most astonishingly simple I've ever heard. I bet it took him five minutes to make. I should be in that guy's place if all it takes is putting some chicks in a video over a song you pulled out of your ass. I can do that.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I wouldn't call SunnO))) a metal band. Khanate however, which is the protoplasm which birthed Sunn, is one of the invisible pillars of the invisible metal subgenre. Slow doomy stuff.

I'll probably book myself a place in the nearest A&E before I walk into the gig. Sadily I looks like I'll never get to see Nasum from your top five list Agent.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

It was like having the venue itself crumble and fall on you over and over again.

I've listened to select songs from Tom Waits' Rain Dogs multiple times today. The fact that I'm nursing a bottle of whiskey only partially explains this.

No, it completely explains it. I'm going to get some Spacemen 3 albums. I want to get into them next.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Like "Shit Slit," "Fuckmaker," "Kill Theme for American Apeshit,"and my personal favorite "Watching a Clown Point a Gun at a Small Dog (reprise)"

Plus their last album had groups of songs listed under sub-headings. The best of which was "Gays and Gay Bashers Holding Each Others' Dicks Crying."

Blow your "A Love Supreme" out your ass.

Hm... I expected such a response. Songs titles like that, I think, are a niche group. And they're not particularly hard to come up with. I don't think it's Coltrane, either. I don't know who it is.

i don't see what the big deal is about 'the basement tapes'. it's pretty fun, and there's a nice little spontaneous spirit running through it, but the songs aren't fantastic or anything and it doesn't really hold up over 80 minutes.

Ok, but he also has song titles such as ".55278037732581", "Bucephalus Bouncing Ball", and "Bu Bu Bu Ba". Not bad, but I've changed my mind, I think it's kid606.

"Chart Topping Radio Hit"

"Damn I'm Hard"

"Luke Vibert Can Kiss My Indie-Punk Whiteboy Ass"

"Yr Inside the Smallest Rave On Earth"

"Cex Remix I Forgot to Finish"

"Ass Scratch Beaver"

"Phat With a PHD"

"Kiddy Needs A New Pair of Laptops"

"It'll Take Millions In Plastic Surgery to Make Me Black"

Now those are some kick ass song titles.