TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Comments which don't warrant a thread.

Guest Derek Bailey

Hopping back a few pages, I'm curiously unoffended by the Kaiser Chiefs. I guess I've used up all of my hatred on The Bravery.

Hopping back a few pages, I'm curiously unoffended by the Kaiser Chiefs. I guess I've used up all of my hatred on The Bravery.

Yeah, I had to make sure to put some aside in the rainy day hate fund or that would probably have happened to me as well. They probably wouldn't annoy me quite as much if they weren't from Leeds.

But what about Sandista!???????????

Never heard it. Whether your comment was sarcasm or not (no offence btw) I can't help but compare every punk album to Pink Flag. And I know what wins.

In other news, an album which is certainly not in contention is Spiderland. It's good. Very good. But I don't like it half as much as anyone else seems to. Suicide is very high as far as my personal punk rankings go, and I've only had it a few weeks.

Is Spiderland considered a punk album? I do love it, but I by no means consider it punk.

Agreed on the Pink Flag. I maybe could think up about one, two, maybe three albums that I might prefer, but that most definitely beats most everything out there, punk or not.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
After listening to these 25 Zappa tracks over the last few days since they were downloaded, I can decidedly say I don't like Frank Zappa much at all.

Yeah, at least you gave him a chance, though. His sense of humor and yours are completely different. Wait, you didn't take recommendations from Slayer, did you? Because he always recommends a bunch of his 80's stuff.

Files in my MP3 directory, by time of download

April 2005: 43 (the latest being "Amerika" (Rammstein), "Feel Good Inc" (Gorillaz), "Buried a Lie" (Senses Fail) and "Still Waiting" (Sum 41))

March 2005: 76

February 2005: 37

January 2005: 10

2000 though 2004: 916

And Winamp says

1079 tracks in playlist, average track length: 4:02

Playlist length: 72 hours 44 minutes 51 seconds

(yes, I know there's 1082 files in my mp3 directory and 1079 on the playlist)

After listening to these 25 Zappa tracks over the last few days since they were downloaded, I can decidedly say I don't like Frank Zappa much at all.

Yeah, at least you gave him a chance, though. His sense of humor and yours are completely different. Wait, you didn't take recommendations from Slayer, did you? Because he always recommends a bunch of his 80's stuff.

I just downloaded the 25 that had the most users to download from. I figured those were the most popular and would show a range of stuff.

Because I'm bored, here are the songs I downloaded (not really 25 now that I look at it, and with the names I got for them):

Marijuanaville

Sofa

Apostrophe

Baby Snakes

Bobby Brown

Catholic Girls

Crew Slut

Dancin' Fool

Dirty Love

Hot Rats

Jewish Princess

Joe's Garage

Little Wing

Montana

Muffin Man

Pothead

Purple Haze

Ravel's Bolero

Stairway to Heaven

Stink Foot

Titties and Beer

Uncle Remus

Valley Girl

Dynamo Hum

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Not too bad. I don't any of his jazz stuff on there, though, except whatever track "Hot Rats" might be. Download "Big Swifty" and then close the case.

more stuff i've downloaded in the last day:

8 tracks from With Teeth (Hand that Feeds, Collector, You Know what you are, All the love in the world, Right where it belongs, The Line begins to blue, beside you in time and With Teeth).. i'm neutral on all the songs right now, but the Hand that Feeds is good

"Hysteria" (Muse)

"Girlfriend in a Coma" (Smiths)

"Black and White Town" (Doves)

"Pardon Me" (Incubus)

"No Phone" (Cake)

Not too bad. I don't any of his jazz stuff on there, though, except whatever track "Hot Rats" might be. Download "Big Swifty" and then close the case.

I downloaded a track called "Hot Rats" that turned out to be "It Must Be A Camel."

With repeated listening, "Big Swifty" is clawing its way into my heart. I still love "Waka/Jawaka" though.

I bought Uncle Meat today. It feels like one that I'll have to listen to a few times, but once I do, I'll treasure it for all time. Sort of like Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

I downloaded a track called "Hot Rats" that turned out to be "It Must Be A Camel."

With repeated listening, "Big Swifty" is clawing its way into my heart. I still love "Waka/Jawaka" though.

I bought Uncle Meat today. It feels like one that I'll have to listen to a few times, but once I do, I'll treasure it for all time. Sort of like Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

Frank Zappa pwnage on old-school Crossfire.

Frank Zappa pwnage on old-school Crossfire.

This is great stuff and the Washington Times guy is such an assclown too

WT Guy: "It's about National Security"

WT Guy: "Hitler used words well too"

Fucking assclown

Just bought 'Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr Idols" (Sonic Youth's second album.) It's pretty fucking fantastic. A far cry from the beautiful music of Murray St and Daydream Nation (which I love too), it's pretty much the most savage album I've ever heard. "Shaking Hell" is probably the only song I've ever heard that's actually sort of freaky and disturbing. At least since I heard The Wall for the first time. (that albums creepy when you're a toddler. I have a vivid memory of just sitting quietly and listening to it all the way through when I was about 5.)

Kaiser Chiefs owe a fair bit of their sound to The Correct Use of Soap, I've decided. They managed to make it sound like shit, too. Well done, you leeds twats.

In other news, I've made peace with the futureheads. They're harmless. Not that I wouldn't advocate causing them harm.

Anybody else ever heard of the Gandharvas?

I downloaded some stuff of theirs after hearing their cover of "Time after Time" on the radio. Well, I haven't found "Time After Time", but I did find that their last album was made in 1998.

Here's the stuff I have from them:

Bundle, Downtime, First Day of Spring, Sasaparilla, The Coffee Song, Watching the Girl

And they probably take the title of "most obscure band I have multiple MP3s of" from Control Machete. Although Control Machete did have a song featured in the Super Bowl ("Si Senor")

i had fond childhood memories bonnie tyler's "holding out for a hero", since it was in 'short circuit 2' and all, so i downloaded it & listened to it for the first time in probably ten years. this has got to be the most bombastic, overly dramatic production OF ANY SONG EVER. i know pop music in general is notorious for being superficial and overdone, but holy SHIT is that thing overdone. the backup vocals, the stabbing horns, the reverbing drum machine beats, tyler's aural weeping and gnashing of teeth...all of it.

I think "Frank's Wild Years" is my favorite Tom Waits beat poem. I like all of the ones I've heard so far (okay, only "Circus" and "9th & Hennepin" otherwise), but the delivery of "Frank's" seals it for me. Great stuff.